Help With Electricity Powers

Thrakazog

I've got an electricity-based EB character with XP to spend, and I'm trying to come up with some neat and interesting new powers. His handle is Juice, and his special effect is that, after having been struck by lightning, his body's natural electric energy field is multiplied dramatically. He's already got:

16 Electromagnetic Powers: Elemental Control - Will Not Work Underwater (-¼) N/A

16 1 Riding the Magnetic Field: Flight 20" 4

16 2 The Van Allen Slide: Flight 10" - Megascale (1" = 1000 kilometers; +1) 4

16 3 Magnetic Bubble: Force Field (+20 PD/+20 ED) 4

44 Electrical Powers: Multipower (55) - Will Not Work Underwater (-¼) N/A

4 u Shockburst: Energy Blast 11d6 - Stun Only (-½) 4

4 u Stroke of Lightning: Ranged Killing Attack 3d6 4

2 u Lightning Web: Entangle 4d6, DEF 4 - Entangle and Character Both Take Damage (+¼); Cannot Form Barriers (-¼), Susceptible to Water (-½) 5

4 u Lightning Field: Ranged Killing Attack 2d6 - Damage Shield (+½), Affects All HTH Attacks (+¼) 5

4 u Recharging Batteries: Succor Electrical Powers 5d6 - Any Electrical Power One at a Time (+¼)

I've brainstormed and come up with:

Multipower Slot: 3d6 Transfer vs. Electricity, feeds END

With this power, he could touch an electrical device (including people?) and gain END by drawing electrical energy (END) away from the device. Basically, he recharges himself.

Bump of direction: he can sense magnetic north.

Clinging, only vs. metal: he magnetizes his body and can maintain a hold of metal objects, or keep himself from being knocked back from an attack.

Multipower Slot: 3d6 Transform, neutral objects into magnetized objects, only vs. metallic targets: he can make a flagpole magnetic, with the usual effects. What practical use this would have I had no idea, but it sounded neat.

I'm looking for comments, suggestions, and/or ideas. Anyone?

Re: Living Battery

Originally posted by SirDidymus

How about a living battery type deal where he could power electrical devices.

Has it already:

4 u Recharging Batteries: Succor Electrical Powers 5d6 - Any Electrical Power One at a Time (+¼)

This lets him run electrical devices by giving it power from his own energy supply. Nice idea, though. :)

Circuit Breaker (Entangle, Doesn't take damage from attacks. Maybe limitation for "only v. living beings" if you are saying that the electrical pulse shorts out their muscles & nerve endings, or conversely "only v. mechanical/powered objects". Or neither, if you want it to impact both.)

Ground (Drain v. END)

Limitation doesn't limit character

I know this isn't what you were asking for, but...

Flight doesn't work under water unless you buy the ability for it to do so. This character did not do so. Therefore, he shouldn't apply the -1/4 Limitation "Doesn't Work Underwater" to his Elemental Control reserve cost or to either of the Flight slots within the Elemental Control.

For much the same reason, the Entangle slot of the character's Multipower shouldn't get the -1/2 Limitation "Susceptible to Water" because the entire Multipower already doesn't work under water and has received a Limitation bonus for that.

Minor quibbles: The Energy Blast slot of the Multipower costs 5 END to use at full power, not 4. Also, given the Limitations as listed, some of the Multipower slots have an incorrect cost.

I also think the Succor slot in the Multipower is a little abusive, but that's probably just me. (If it were defined as "Can't be used on self," with an appropriate limitation, then I'd be OK with it.) If your GM allows it as is, more power to you - literally.

Finally - and I could be wrong here since I don't have any of the reference materials with me - I don't think a -1/4 Limitation applies to the Stun Only aspect of the Energy Blast slot of the Multipower. I'm pretty sure that the rules specify something to the effect that doing no Body and no Knockback with a Stun-only attack is balanced out by the fact that you can't seriously injure someone or cause property damage accidentally and therefore is not worth a Limitation.

Sorry to be a critic...

John H

Electronic devices

-if someone has a device that has electronic controls, how about draining the battering, activating switches to forcing uncontrolled fire, or forcing overload in control circuits

- causing solinoids to activate/deactivate to getting through doors and time locks.

-Being able to shut down standard vehicles by stopping the ignition process or causing the alternator and battery to just not work.

-turning off/on lights/camera's in an area by stopping or starting the flow of electricity to the component.

- frying computer storage devices

- generating interferance for radio communication (jamming)

- perception: generate a magnetic field and check the variations to see what is through a wall, along the lines of a metal detector. Since most things will change the lines of a magnetic field, you could just about have x-ray vision, with conductive objects being more percievable than non conductive things. Oh, and people generate magnetic fields, so you might not be able to see a wooden table in a room, but you could see that four people were sitting around it

- arc welding

- changing street lights in your favor

- stealing from ATMs by activating the dispensing mechanisims

- electro plating?

-frying ANY electronic device with an EMP

-I also have vague memories of it being possible to place a floresent bulb in a magnetic field and having it give off light.

-For the ultimate peice of trivia, Nicholi Tesla could cause people to lose control of their bowels with electricity. Talk about an ego attack.

Re: Limitation doesn't limit character

Originally posted by JMHammer

I also think the Succor slot in the Multipower is a little abusive, but that's probably just me. (If it were defined as "Can't be used on self," with an appropriate limitation, then I'd be OK with it.) If your GM allows it as is, more power to you - literally.

He can't use it on himself. It's only for machines and electronics - not people. I should make that more clear, I guess.

Sorry to be a critic...

Oh, don't be, really. I like constructive criticism, and when dealing with a system as math-heavy as this, an extra set of eyes is worthwhile. :)

Re: Re: Limitation doesn't limit character

Originally posted by Thrakazog

Oh, don't be, really. I like constructive criticism, and when dealing with a system as math-heavy as this, an extra set of eyes is worthwhile. :)

In that case, I wanted to make a general comment about the "Will not work under water" limitation. :)

I had discussed this with another player who had flame powers and had "Cannot work underwater/In space & vacuum". My thought immediately was 'how often will the characters be exposed to the phenomenon?' For instance, they might be in a submarine or in a shuttle but they would rarely, if ever, be in the naked element itself.

But still, it is a valid disadvantage in the book. However, I noticed that the character, if exposed to these environments, would drown/suffocate. So to me, I felt they wouldn't ever be in these situations and LIVE anyways.

So I have a house rule - if you cannot survive in the environment that you are choosing for your powers not to work in (Extreme radiation, Under Water, In the Ground), then you do not get to apply the disadvantage of it not working there.

Re: Re: Re: Limitation doesn't limit character

Originally posted by MarkusDark

In that case, I wanted to make a general comment about the "Will not work under water" limitation. :)

I had discussed this with another player who had flame powers and had "Cannot work underwater/In space & vacuum". My thought immediately was 'how often will the characters be exposed to the phenomenon?' For instance, they might be in a submarine or in a shuttle but they would rarely, if ever, be in the naked element itself.

But still, it is a valid disadvantage in the book. However, I noticed that the character, if exposed to these environments, would drown/suffocate. So to me, I felt they wouldn't ever be in these situations and LIVE anyways.

So I have a house rule - if you cannot survive in the environment that you are choosing for your powers not to work in (Extreme radiation, Under Water, In the Ground), then you do not get to apply the disadvantage of it not working there.

Ah, but you can wear a spacesuit and survive. Of course most character's using their powers while in space suits will trash the spacesuits and die. Of course the underwater stuff still works. Most humans can survive underwater for a while. And people with super-human CONs (and subsequently END) can survive underwater for a LONG time. This doesn't even mention SCUBA gear.

My house rule is that you will encounter the shut-off condition based upon how much of a limitation you take. Thus if you take "not underwater" for -1/4, it'll only come up once or twice in a campaign. If you take it at -1, then it'll happen every third session or so. Of course I also adjust that depending on what I, as GM, have intended for the campaign. If the campaign centers around helping Aquaman overthrow Namor for the Trone of Atlantis, then...

Originally posted by Supreme

You realize that this character's origin is virtually identical to that of Electro, Spider-Man's nemesis?

;)

No I didn't. I know who Electro is, but I didn't know his origin. Rats - I hate being unoriginal. Although, in hindsight, it's such an obvious origin for someone with electrical powers I should've seen this coming...

Originally posted by Thrakazog

No I didn't. I know who Electro is, but I didn't know his origin. Rats - I hate being unoriginal. Although, in hindsight, it's such an obvious origin for someone with electrical powers I should've seen this coming...

Remember the old saying - the moment you have an original idea, over a dozen people across America had the same idea.

This coming from a person who thought "Gold Rush" was a cool, unique speedster name. ;)

I've always been partial to NND attacks for electricity users, the defense being Mental Defenses. The effect: you use an electrical current to cause the target's brain synapses to fire wildly, and those with the proper mental discipline can shake it off.

Super-Static Spark: 1d6 RKA (15 points), x2 Penetrating (+1) Indirect (+3/4) (Total = 41 active points). For those times you absolutely, positively need to damage something, you generate a powerful static field about the target and watch it fry. The perfect thing for busting foci or destroying robots.

Originally posted by Supreme

Here's a thought. What if an electrical character could make people freeze up because he forced all of their muscles to contract. How would you buy that? Mind Control, only to "freeze", based on CON?

When I created such a taser like device and decided not to go with an NND effect, I did it as a continuous Dex drain, so basically the person could keep struggling against the effect until he was immobilized.