Flash and AoE

Scifi_Toughguy

Do flashes automaticly affect all combatants or must they be purchased with the AoE advantage to do that?

I had a situation in my game where 6 gangers were going to mug a hapless couple. Two heroes were present and one used their power built as a flash wanting to blind as many as possible. I was unsure how to rule it even after consulting Fred.

Re: Flash and AoE

Do flashes automaticly affect all combatants or must they be purchased with the AoE advantage to do that?

I had a situation in my game where 6 gangers were going to mug a hapless couple. Two heroes were present and one used their power built as a flash wanting to blind as many as possible. I was unsure how to rule it even after consulting Fred.

Unless it is bought as AOE it will only affect a single target.

Nope. 5ER p380. Pretty much any Ranged attack that the Ref doesn't say you can't spread. Though Ego Blast is the only Mental Power that can by default be spread.

Holy cannoli!!! I must confess I was not aware of this. Certainly opens up possibilities...

Plus now half my powers will be cheaper, since I can take "Can't be spread" for them, and use them how I've always used them anyway, hee hee!

Plus now half my powers will be cheaper' date=' since I can take "Can't be spread" for them, and use them how I've always used them anyway, hee hee![/quote']

I've found that there are usually several limitations like this: ways you could use the power (according to the rules) but that aren't obvious, and you'll either never use, don't match the powers sfx, or simply don't make sense, period.

Healing especially has several non-obvious tricks you can use with it. Believe it or not, you can haymaker a healing. also, by default, it applies to living and nonliving things (that 'heal wounds' spell is also a 'fix my stuff' spell, without a limitation).

I've found that there are usually several limitations like this: ways you could use the power (according to the rules) but that aren't obvious, and you'll either never use, don't match the powers sfx, or simply don't make sense, period.

Healing especially has several non-obvious tricks you can use with it. Believe it or not, you can haymaker a healing. also, by default, it applies to living and nonliving things (that 'heal wounds' spell is also a 'fix my stuff' spell, without a limitation).

...and you can use sweep, spread or rapid atatck to heal more than one teammate at a time :)

My problem came when I tried to think of a ranged special effect that would only blind one opponent at a time. The only thing I can think of is shining a narrow' date=' focussed beam at one person's eyes.[/quote']

Shining a flashlight in someone's eyes, throwing a pie at their face, shutting down someone's optical nerves (mebbe AVLD, PowDef?)... all normal, single-target sigh Flashes. =)