Modeling world of "Girl Genius"

Funksaw

Could you do me a favor and help me come up with some good templates for a campaign based on "Girl Genius"?

The game will be played with HERO system newbies, so I want to make character creation as simple as possible by creating a bunch of packages that they can mix and match.

I've got some ideas but I'm at work away from my books.

Re: Modeling world of "Girl Genius"

Google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aherogames.com+%22Girl+Genius%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Some results:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44649

OK, that's really the only one I found. Maybe a more careful search would net a few more results...

While we wait for the GURPS book to come out, I'm curious as to how you would handle some of the more colorful and insane characters of that setting (full of colorful and insane characters), such as Othar Tryguvssen, GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER and genocidal madman, and the infamously homicidal "Bang" Dupree (that's her name, not an instruction leaflet!).

Bangalore Dupree, the most homicidal human being alive. For a non-spark. Completely uninterested in experimentation. Unless it causes pain or death.

Othar, who realizes all sparks must be wiped out. Himself last, so he knows the job's done. Too dangerous to experiment on... slowly.

Ferretina the Weasel Queen, who just wants a hero to believe in. And experiment on.

Baron Wulfenbach. The foremost experimental genius in the world.

Emperor Krosp. The foremost genius product of experiments by one of the geniuses Wulfenback later experimented on. Not a fan of experimentation in the least.

Gil. Fails to test his experiments before implementation. As lucky as he is brilliant, which is extremely, in that he's still alive.

Agatha. It is not wise to underestimate The Heterodyne. And yet, everyone manages to.

Bangalore Dupree' date=' the most homicidal human being alive. For a non-spark. Completely uninterested in experimentation. Unless it causes pain or death.[/quote']

Actually, I believe her name is Bangladesh Dupree, though everyone I know just calls her Bang. But it is unfortunate that she divides the human race into two classes:

1. People who need to die in hideous, painful and hilarious ways.

2. Bangladesh Dupree.

Baron Wulfenbach. The foremost experimental genius in the world.

And one of the most fascinating webcomic characters ever -- a mass of contradictions who is a malevolent tyrant for what he believes to be the most benevolent of reasons, a man who was once companion to the world's greatest heroes who has adopted the role of master villain because he feels he has no choice.

Gil. Fails to test his experiments before implementation. As lucky as he is brilliant, which is extremely, in that he's still alive.

And he'd probably be delicious covered in melted cheese. :)

Agatha. It is not wise to underestimate The Heterodyne. And yet, everyone manages to.

No just the Heterodyne, but The Heroine. She's survived things that should have killed her on many occasions, sometimes by sheer luck.

And then there are those lovable, terrifying Jagermonsters. One could do a writeup just on the effects of the Jagerbrau (turns humans into Jagers).

SPARK TEMPLATE

Sparks are pretty normal compared to other people (which isn't saying much for the other people, but I digress) except when they "spark" and go off on their rampages. Indeed, the madness seems to be a temporary condition.

For that reason, OIHID is used to represent "sparking" - which takes a full phase to activate.

SPARK TEMPLATE: 117 Points in Powers, 40 points disadvantage: 77 Net Points.

+ 20 PRE / Cannot be used on fellow sparks -1/4 / OIHID -1/4 [20 AP/13 RC]

+ 5 EGO / Cannot be used on fellow sparks -1/4 / OIHID -1/4 [10 AP/7 RC]

4d6 Mind Control / Area Effect Radius 4" +1.25 / Cannot be used on fellow sparks -1/4 / OIHID -1/4 [20 BP/45 AP/30 RC]

60 pt VPP / OIHID -1/4 / OAF (Tools) -1 / Concentration -1/2 0 DCV / Extra Time 1 Minute -1 1/2 [60 Pool] [30 CC AC/ 7 CC RC] [67 RC]

1) 4d6 Major Transform (Object into Mad Science Invention) [60AP]

2) 6d6 Minor Transform (Broken Object into Fixed Object) [60AP]

3) Armor, Energy Blast, HKA, Luck, etc...

Disadvantages:

Accidental Change "Sparking," Very Frequently (14-) Very Common Circumstances: Being faced with a technological puzzle or malfunctioning invention, being under stress, stimulants. 20 pts.

Distinctive Features: Madboy/girl - Concealable, Feature is Always Noticed and causes Major Reaction, Not Distinctive among Sparks 10 pts.

Psych Lim: Obsession "The Work", Common (When Sparking) Moderate. 10 pts.

JAGERMONSTER TEMPLATE: 102 Pts, 30 disadvantages, 72 net points

+20 STR [20 pts]

+10 DEX [30 pts]

Damage Reduction, Resistant 50% [30 pts]

1d6 HKA (Claws and Teeth) [15 pts]

Healing-Regeneration 3d6 / 0 End (+1/2) / Self Only (-1/2) / Extra Time + Increased Time Increment 3 Body per Day (-2 3/4) / Requires willing Spark (-1) / Requires Spare Parts (-1/2) / Only to Regenerate Limbs (-1) [45AP/7 RC]

Disadvantages:

Distinctive Features Not Concealable (15 pts)

SocialLim: Jagertroth Code - Frequent, Major (15 pts)

Construct Template:

Damage Reduction, Resistant 50% [30 pts]

Healing-Regeneration 3d6 / 0 End (+1/2) / Self Only (-1/2) / Extra Time + Increased Time Increment 3 Body per Day (-2 3/4) / Requires willing Spark (-1) / Requires Spare Parts (-1/2) / Only to Regenerate Limbs (-1) [45AP/7 RC]

Healing-Ressurection: 1d6, +20 Resurrection, / 0 END / ---mech, I'm tired, you figure this out. They can come back from the dead given a bolt of lightning.

Actually, I believe her name is Bangladesh Dupree, though everyone I know just calls her Bang. But it is unfortunate that she divides the human race into two classes:

1. People who need to die in hideous, painful and hilarious ways.

2. Bangladesh Dupree.

3. The Baron, with whom Bangladesh does not mess.

Technically, she'd invent something to skin you and make you into gloves, so as not to take time away from bona fide inventing. Gloves have already been invented, you see.

..as have steam-powered iron gloves, self-adhesive vegetable-material gloves, genetically engineered living gloves, mind-control gloves, and automated spring-loaded de-arming gloves (who said anything about weapons?).

So, the odds of actually meeting her in person while being skinned to fashion ordinary leather goods.. slim.

Technically, she'd invent something to skin you and make you into gloves, so as not to take time away from bona fide inventing. Gloves have already been invented, you see.

..as have steam-powered iron gloves, self-adhesive vegetable-material gloves, genetically engineered living gloves, mind-control gloves, and automated spring-loaded de-arming gloves (who said anything about weapons?).

So, the odds of actually meeting her in person while being skinned to fashion ordinary leather goods.. slim.

Please do not take this as offensive, but do you actually read Girl Genius?

Bangladesh is not a spark (or inventor of any kind). She also loves to stab and cut people with her very normal (and sometimes poisoned) Kris knife. She would never allow a machine to get in-between her and the person she is trying to kill (even if she made it herself) because it wouldn't be as much fun.

DuPree's pretty easy to do. She's a normal human, maybe at the upper end of human norms (tho' maybe not: she was subdued by airman Hobbs multiple times and KO'ed - or at least stunned - by Wooster with a punch). She has a really bad attitude and a fine collection of weapons. That's about it, really. She mostly gets by on attitude and efficiency, as far as I can tell - people are scared of her because she's a psycho who works for the Baron, not because she's combat machine. In a fight, she was clearly no match for von Pinn.

For Sparks generally: a gadget VPP, size depending on "sparkiness" with the limitations "signature: limited powers" (-1/4), OAF and "requires lab/tools to change powers" (-1/2), "extra time, 1 turn". (-3/4) and "RSR:Spark" (-1/2). Top it off with "Side effect" - at least 1/2: Spark gadgets tend to explode/fail/run amok on a regular basis.

The limited powers thing reflects that not all Sparks have the same abilities to build gadgets or replicate the gadgets of another and also that another spark can potentially recognize a particular spark's handiwork. Lucrezia, for example, seems to specialize in gadgets that give Mindcontrol. That doesn't means she can only do that: simply that she is much better at it than her contemporaries. The Baron and Agatha seem to specialize in Clanks - but can clearly do other things. The Heterodynes seem to have been big on constructs. I'd handle the signature power by a custom limitation meaning that the Spark must choose a defined speciality: only in this speciality, can they use a power that takes up more 30% of their VPP (hence only a -1/4)

For Clanks and Constructs themselves, I'd use Summon, so as not to overload the pool: that way, given time and resources, a Spark can make hundreds or even thousands of clanks (or Jægers).

Finally, Sparks have an automatic air of command and outrageously high INT/PER. I'm not sure I'd buy the air of command as Mindcontrol - even the most powerful of Sparks don't seem to be able to actually force people to obey them: it's more persuasion. In that regard I'd exempt Sparks from NCM on PRE, INT and EGO - maybe from NCM in total - the Baron (for example) appears to be both inhumanly resistant to damage and inhumanly strong (though that may be because

he is apparently a construct, tho' it's not clear whose....)

That would let them have the very high INT (and thus PER: Sparks of all kinds seem to work things out very fast) they need. It'd also let them buy their PRE up very high. A good PRE attack would duplicate the air of command from the comix more efficiently than mindcontrol, frankly.

If you exempt Sparks from NCM, normal humans should still have it compulsorily - but get points for it.

cheers, Mark

the Baron (for example) appears to be both inhumanly resistant to damage and inhumanly strong (though that may be because

he is apparently a construct' date=' tho' it's not clear whose....)

[/quote']

Aye, there's the rub. And the question i've been wondering about.

Please do not take this as offensive, but do you actually read Girl Genius?

Bangladesh is not a spark (or inventor of any kind). She also loves to stab and cut people with her very normal (and sometimes poisoned) Kris knife. She would never allow a machine to get in-between her and the person she is trying to kill (even if she made it herself) because it wouldn't be as much fun.

Sorry, for a minute was confusing Bang with Agatha's present story online.

Apparently this topic causes my synapses to short out more than usual.

Bang is certainly hand's on, where death, pain, destruction and mayhem are concerned. Unless she has a gun. Or knife. Sword. Battleship. Poision. Pointy stick. Teeth. Whatever it takes.

Agatha, though.. *sigh* She invents pocket-watch sized devices to reproduce the Bang effect. In her sleep. What dreams she must have.

Bangladesh is not a spark (or inventor of any kind). She also loves to stab and cut people with her very normal (and sometimes poisoned) Kris knife.

Well, she did modify a medical device to be a Joker-worthy joybuzzer, does that count?

Now, I know it doesn't, but it does demonstrate her ability for destruction goes beyond simple knives. And guns. And really big explosions. Hmm, I'm channeling Jayne.

Well, she did modify a medical device to be a Joker-worthy joybuzzer, does that count?

Now, I know it doesn't, but it does demonstrate her ability for destruction goes beyond simple knives. And guns. And really big explosions. Hmm, I'm channeling Jayne.

To do that you'd need to be picturing Bang naked.

I'll be in my bunk.

the Baron (for example) appears to be both inhumanly resistant to damage and inhumanly strong (though that may be because

he is apparently a construct' date=' tho' it's not clear whose....)

[/quote']

Oh, I doubt that. More likely he just had some modifications installed, like his four-armed assistant.

Oh' date=' I doubt that. More likely he just had some modifications installed, like his four-armed assistant.[/quote']

Or, he needed to get put back together after something bad happened. Really bad.

Let's face it, most males have a built-in excuse for most mistakes: "I was just trying to impress the homicidal double-jointed woman with the knives."

I certainly know I've made enough of those kinds of mistakes in my life...

On second thought, can there be enough of those kinds of mistakes?

Oh' date=' I doubt that. More likely he just had some modifications installed, like his four-armed assistant.[/quote']

Kaja Foglio has stated that The Baron is what Markdoc said he was. Also the Secret Blueprints (Which are no longer up at the Foglio's Airship web site or I would link them.) said that Klaus once had two other brothers (the Three Wulfenbach Brothers) that disappeared. The going theory is the Klaus is the sum of all parts...

Kaja Foglio has stated that The Baron is what Markdoc said he was. Also the Secret Blueprints (Which are no longer up at the Foglio's Airship web site or I would link them.) said that Klaus once had two other brothers (the Three Wulfenbach Brothers) that disappeared. The going theory is the Klaus is the sum of all parts...

Oh, goody.