What is it called?

AnotherSkip

What the heck do you call it when you take penalties to do something in less than the time allotted? Ie in stead of 1 hr you try to do it in 5 minutes, at something like -3/ level.

I wanted to say Hurry up but that is incorrect....

IIRC there was a character with PSL's vs the penalty to do so in Star Hero vs using the star jump mechanic, and speedsters sometimes buy this too....

Re: What is it called?

I agree...it's whatever you want to call it. Extra Time is a modifier that you can use for the special effect "I examine the bomb carefully before I snip any wires" as opposed to "I snip the green wire...it's always the green wire" which is where your penalty would come into play. I would apply it to things like "we fire a few shots down the hallway to keep their heads down so we can get away..." You're not really aiming per se...just pointing the gun in a direction and pulling the trigger......you might get lucky and hit something....

Er... I don't know that such a thing exists in HERO' date=' I'd need to see the rules. AFAIK, "Extra Time" means just that. But I may be mistaken. 592 pages. Easy to miss small details.[/quote']

Page 45 of 5ER, under the heading the Time Chart, last paragraph. You can perform a Skill in less time than it normally takes by taking a -3 per step up the Time Chart. So, a lock normally takes a Turn to pick can be picked in a Phase for a -3. A car repair that can be done in 6 hours can be done in a Phase with a -18 to the Mechanic roll. And so on.

Actually makes time stop effects with Skills pretty easy to model, if you have the GM's permission. Potentially pricey, though.

Page 45 of 5ER, under the heading the Time Chart, last paragraph. You can perform a Skill in less time than it normally takes by taking a -3 per step up the Time Chart. So, a lock normally takes a Turn to pick can be picked in a Phase for a -3. A car repair that can be done in 6 hours can be done in a Phase with a -18 to the Mechanic roll. And so on.

Actually makes time stop effects with Skills pretty easy to model, if you have the GM's permission. Potentially pricey, though.

I believe one can buy Penalty Skill Levels to offset this, per TUSp.

What the heck do you call it when you take penalties to do something in less than the time allotted? Ie in stead of 1 hr you try to do it in 5 minutes, at something like -3/ level.

I wanted to say Hurry up but that is incorrect....

IIRC there was a character with PSL's vs the penalty to do so in Star Hero vs using the star jump mechanic, and speedsters sometimes buy this too....

Well, I don't think it has a name, it's just a rule for using skills. If you wanted to take Skill Levels, see below: I found the reference Bob mentioned.