Hero System - Champions - Fluff

MorituriMax

Read a post here, came back when I saw that there is going to be an online Champions based MMO.

Someone remarked earlier that Cryptic only gets the right to use the fluff and not the mechanics of the system.

Frankly, Champions without the mechanics (Hero System) IS Fluff. And that is my opinion until the game comes out, and I play it for a few months to see if they manage to live up to their hype. I don't mean "Hype" in a negative way here, only that many other companies have promised the stars and delivered only chunks of neutronium.

Crossing fingers and hoping for the best with what they have to work with. Essentially since I never really got into the Champions Background, I'm not particularly enthusiastic one way or the other that that is the basis of the MMO's story.

Counting the days till COMMO comes out.

Morituri "Vangardia" Max

Re: Hero System - Champions - Fluff

See it the good way...

The Champions Universe will provide a solid, complete and rich background Cryptic will draw from.

Now, if they can also deliver an interesting game engine, it will be a good game overall.

The Champions IP can only improve their production.

The HERO System doesn't lend itself to MMOs very well. It relies too heavily on GM approval/veto. While a part of me would love a game based on the HERO System rules, I'd have to admit I don't see how it could work. =/

I absolutely wouldn't mind it if there was a dual setup, like where you could make easily approved characters, and also the ability to make "custom" characters with maybe a $5.00 approval/audit fee and whatever waiting period was involved. I mean if you weren't trying to game the system and got the guy back with changes needed to allow him into the game, I'd be all for it.

Heck World of Warcraft has a $25.00 fee to move characters around from one server to another and that's fine by me even with the waiting period of up to 3 days.

Actually, from what it sounds like, they can use the mechanics and plan on using the same terminology, but it's likley they'll be using only the things that lend itself to the online system. In other words, don't expect anything verbatim.

You can call it "fluff" if you want, but how much time and effort would have been spent by Cryptic coming up with a gaming universe as colorful and rich as the Champions universe? While I am not sure how much the deal was for, I think Cryptic made the right choice. Not only 20+ years of history, villains, heroes, organizations,locations, etc. but one that is known (or at least has been heard of) in the gaming community.

Well personally, for me, the richness and color of the Champions universe is due mainly to the character creations system as well as the Hero system that allows all the neat stuff in Champions.. if Hero Games dumped the rules and switched to D20, how would that impact everyone if they had to use that system to play the game instead?

A friend of mine works at Cryptic and according to him they were already working on an engine that had a huge number of defined powers, while it won't actually be champions rules you'll be able to build the kind of character you want.

Well personally' date=' for me, the richness and color of the Champions universe is due mainly to the character creations system as well as the Hero system that allows all the neat stuff in Champions.. if Hero Games dumped the rules and switched to D20, how would that impact everyone if they had to use that system to play the game instead?[/quote']

Two totally different things, really. There are a lot of sites and information on converting characters from other games to Hero. There are posts on the hero boards about converting D20 world materials over to Hero. And people do this because they like the actual world content but find the D20 system lacking in what they want in game mechanics.

To put it simply you play in a universe, you use the mechanics to determine how you play in that universe.

Yeah, I guess that's a valid point. Of all the Champions source material I have seen which defines the world one plays in, the only one that ever seemed to have any depth to the characters and world was The Blood supplement.

That thing made every other supplement look shallow and flat.. sigh..

Ah well, looking forward to the MMO.

A friend of mine works at Cryptic and according to him they were already working on an engine that had a huge number of defined powers' date=' while it won't actually be champions rules you'll be able to build the kind of character you want.[/quote']

Within reason of course.

Being an MMO of finite resources, you won't be able to create a character with duplication, huge amounts of growth, non-bipedal form, etc.etc.etc.