Sonic Overpressure Attack

Vondy

PLEASE MOVE THIS TO THE HERO GAMES DISCUSSION FORUM

I need some help making an affordable sonic overpressure attack. Essentially, when the character breaks the sound barrier they create a sonic shockwave that follows in their wake. Its not particuliarly scientific, I know. The problem is: this effect is extremely expensive (and probably wouldn't come into play too often as urban environs and the presence of his own people on the battlefield would limit its applicability). How would you build this. Its basically a combo EB and Flash that goes in his wake (so you would thing "line", but its bigger than one hex as he goes - it explodes off the line. Would radius along his flight path as a sort of "move by" cover it? I'm not sure how to model it.

Re: Sonic Overpressure Attack

As for the AoE, I would use either Cone or Explosion (cone), and define the cone as trailing with the wide end out behind the character as he moves.

However, unless you specifically want to use this as an attack, it's not worth treating it as anything other than a special effect.

Sonic Boom: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Penetrating (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Continuous (+1), Area Of Effect (37" Cone; +1 1/2) (67 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only when running at supersonic speed; -1), No Range (-1/2)

27 Real, 67 Active

Depends what you want but this is certainly a good one for breaking lots of windows :)

You might well be able to get better then -1 as a limitation for 'only when running at supersonic speed'.

Sonic Boom: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6' date=' Penetrating (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Continuous (+1), Area Of Effect (37" Cone; +1 1/2) (67 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only when running at supersonic speed; -1), No Range (-1/2)[/i']

27 Real, 67 Active

Depends what you want but this is certainly a good one for breaking lots of windows :)

You might well be able to get better then -1 as a limitation for 'only when running at supersonic speed'.

I can't see any reason to make it a Killing Attack; and Penetrating means everything in the area will take BODY. A few d6 of a normal attack in and Area Effect should be more than enough to break windows and the like. A largish Flash Attack vs. Hearing Linked to it should cap it off nicely.

I can't see any reason to make it a Killing Attack; and Penetrating means everything in the area will take BODY. A few d6 of a normal attack in and Area Effect should be more than enough to break windows and the like. A largish Flash Attack vs. Hearing Linked to it should cap it off nicely.

Well it is a killing attack because then the penetrating does Body damage, and lots of windows break and everyone you run past gets to bleed from the ears and nose.

Thing about this sort of attack is it probably ought to cause some damage even to super people. Maybe not Body damage, I'll give you that, but they ought to feel it at least. Given this is never going to be a major attack, if only because of the acceleration/deceleration rules, I don't feel too bad about making it a killing attack.

The hearing flash is a good idea. All depends what you want, really. I mean you could make it a double KB attack if you like, and have people falling over.

1 body normal damange should be sufficient to break glass; I'm not sure about the bleeding from the ears part. I haven't done a lot of research on sonic booms, but even flash-bang grendades in closed rooms seldom result in that kind of damage. I would think that would be a "point blank" effect of such a power. A 1 pip RKA not versus ear-protections could work, as could a 1d6 EB w/standard effect (which would break windows and leave most people unharmed due to their natural PD/ED); a 2-3D6 EB with penetrating could work as well. What about using change environment: it has the option to do body damage and reduce sound checks. It could be purchased as lingering effects (a few phases), but only for the sound checks, making the "window breaking effect" a one phase event.

Well it is a killing attack because then the penetrating does Body damage' date=' and lots of windows break and everyone you run past gets to bleed from the ears and nose.[/quote']Pretty much any attack will break windows; they're - what? - 0 DEF and 1 BODY IIRC. But I strongly disagree that a nosebleed represents BODY damage. We're already pushing plausibility with a person cracking the sound barrier doing actual damage via sonic boom The physics of sonic booms require the object exceeding the sound be rather large in order to break even windows; a human being is simply not large enough to cause such damage. (I know, I know, it's a comic book, but still...)

Thing about this sort of attack is it probably ought to cause some damage even to super people. Maybe not Body damage, I'll give you that, but they ought to feel it at least. Given this is never going to be a major attack, if only because of the acceleration/deceleration rules, I don't feel too bad about making it a killing attack.
Most supers have some Resistant and/or Hardened defenses; either one ought to protect totally from such an attack. Perhaps AVLD Does BODY would be more logical than Penetrating?

The hearing flash is a good idea. All depends what you want, really. I mean you could make it a double KB attack if you like, and have people falling over.
Amusing, but I suspect taking Double KB on would make it too expensive or exceed most campaign's limits.

My personal inclination? Make it a Side Effect of the movement Power for exceeding Mach 1 and let the GM decide what happens on a case by case basis. If the character wants to use it as an unusual attack (perhaps against an opponent Vulnerable or Susceptibility to sonic attacks) let him use Power Skill with it.

My personal inclination? Make it a Side Effect of the movement Power for exceeding Mach 1 and let the GM decide what happens on a case by case basis. If the character wants to use it as an unusual attack (perhaps against an opponent Vulnerable or Susceptibility to sonic attacks) let him use Power Skill with it.

Since its for a character in my freedom patrol game, which has always been harder rubber and more gritty pulp than "superheroic" I'm inclined to be well disposed to this suggestion and keep it as a special effect. In truth, with the exception of breaking windows, its probably just a big modifier to a presence attack and a one phase negative modifier to hearing rolls. Esp. since the campaign takes place before the advent of supersonic flight: what was that?! Insofar as the breaking windows don't cause any mechanical effects (doing body to those near them or whatnot) I'm comfortable with it being a special effect. In fact, it has drawbacks in that it limits the use of the characters maximum flight in some situations - as using it in urban areas, or when stealth is required, becomes highly problematic. It seems like a wash overall.

I mean you could make it a double KB attack if you like' date=' and have people falling over.[/quote']

Shockwave Wake!

Moving at speeds that causes oxygen to ignite, cars to flip over, and people to be sucked after his wake: ITS SUPERMAN IS MY WOMAN MAN!!!

You know, for a mega-powered foam-rubber game, that would rock.

For the Freedom Patrol... not so much. :thumbup:

Typically, I'd treat this as the Side Effect, only affects the environment around the character. Or -- since any sharp cookie is going to use this in combat, to devastating effect, and with the sonic boom being limited in 'wash' due to the size of the individual -- Sean Waters' version seems appropriate. Or, if you don't like that one, just change his 1d6 RKA to 3d6 EB.

Might use Explosion (Cone) instead of the AoE. And/or Double Knockback ...