Vacuum Expossure Training

Wormhole

Personal Log, Entry #7731-48. There was "an accident" with one of the air locks on Deck 3 today, I was blown out into space. I managed to grab onto the ship's communications antenna and got back inside via a maintainance hatch before I blacked out. The Sick Bay doc says I'm lucky to be alive. Ha! Only morons believe in luck. If it hadn't been for what I learned in Vac Ex Training back at the academy, I've no doubt I would've been an icy, lifeless corpse drifting in the void. At any rate, I have my suspicions as to who tried to ghost me, but it'll be a while before I'm up to dealing with that bastard. Right now it feels like someone yanked all my vital organs out through my nostrils and shoved them up my ass, plus I have one mother****er of a headache. Damn, I could use a drink right now.

Okay, so here's the question: what kind of techniques could I say our spaceman above learn in the academy's Vac Ex Training program that saved his life?

Re: Vacuum Expossure Training

All I can think of:

1. Exhale as quickly as possible -- don't try to hold your breath, as that will quickly damage your lungs.

2. Keep spinning in relation to any present heat source, to keep any one side of you from getting too hot or too cold too quickly.

3. For visibility's sake, move your extremities in bursts. It's easier to see, and doesn't use as much energy as constant movement.

Don't look at the sun.

Get back under pressure quickly.

Is the radiation and/or heat from the sun without atmospheric filtering really intense enough that the one or two minutes of exposure you're going to get before the vacuum kills you will do significant damage?

According to Dr. Geoffrey Landis

http://www.sff.net/people/Geoffrey.Landis/vacuum.html

you would survive about a ninety seconds, you wouldn't explode, you would remain conscious for about ten seconds.

This is probably the best source for this kind of information that we're likely to get. In fact, if there's a new edition of Star Hero coming up eventually, this should be referenced.

Always carry something with you to use as reaction mass. A belt full of tools is not bad. A pouch of ball bearings is almost as good.

I started to do a thing on how firing a gun would be good. But it's not, because the momentum of the recoil has to be less than your arm can handle (or your limbs go flying). Throwing something is definitely better. If you're really desperate (say you got sucked out the airlock without your helmet and nobody will be looking for you for 5 minutes) just cut the feed to your air tank and you can really zip along.

Worried about sudden catastrophic failure of your hull? Don't go around with bulky uncomfortable helmets on all the time use the Price rapid deployment life support collar. Inflated clear plastic Allplast bags are held in place by a combination of clamps and air pressure. When pressure drops below 40% of normal the clamps fail and the bags deploy and lock together forming an airtight seal. A small air reservoir provides enough air for few minutes work. Standard air feeds can be attached to provide longer survival times.

Price technologies, because you need a future and we've got a good one.

Worried about sudden catastrophic failure of your hull? Don't go around with bulky uncomfortable helmets on all the time use the Price rapid deployment life support collar. Inflated clear plastic Allplast bags are held in place by a combination of clamps and air pressure. When pressure drops below 40% of normal the clamps fail and the bags deploy and lock together forming an airtight seal. A small air reservoir provides enough air for few minutes work. Standard air feeds can be attached to provide longer survival times.

Price technologies, because you need a future and we've got a good one.

Reped!

Aroooo

• 5 months later...