The Amazing Darkon

gmurie

Re: The Amazing Darkon

My use of The Amazing Darkon resulted in one character near dead and the rest of the team terrified of the Darkness power.

Let's just say I had one of those players that always tried to get away with Disadvantages that weren't. So I decided to teach him a lesson. His being vulnerable to Darkness powers led to Darkon putting a beating on him.

Add in a team with no special senses and no qualms about firing randomly into Darkness and you get some hurting.

It was almost as funny as the day Sparkler almost beat a team on her own. But that's another story.

This is a story that must be told.

(PS what happens if you use Images to create light in a Darkness field?)

Okay.

A long time ago in a campaign far away.....

So the intrepid heroes get word of a fairly typical super villain robbery in progress. The team responds with their typical "rush in, hit things, and try and sort it out afterwards" mentality.

The team consists of:

Crimebuster - a martial artist/detective with more leadership issues than Alec Summers and Clint Barton combined. (The player wanted this character to be Batmna/Moon Knight/Daredevil/Punisher all rolled into one.)

Adaman - a brick/martial artist/scientist whose failing marriage and rapidly mutating son are causing him all kinds of distractions. (He was a scientist who accidentally altered his DNA to become 8 feet tall and his body tissue regenerated instantly. Then had kids. The player loved creating characters with 12 pages histories that detailed everything from what color his house was to the name of his first pet.)

Ice - a energy projector/martial artist with cold powers and a lack of experience that proved nearly fatal on more than one occasion. (One of those players who thinks he's so smart that he doesn't need to read any of the rules, builds a character without any defenses, then runs around trying to be "the hero".)

Shadowblade - a martial artist ninja with a sword of energy who is dealing with the fact that a rival clan of ninjas has kidnapped his girlfriend and poisoned him so that he is slowly getting weaker. (He later found out that his gf was the daughter of the rival ninja clans lord. The player was pissed for about an hour then realized I had set the whole thing up for nearly 3 real years before the pay-off. I think he wanted to have my baby, but I refused.)

Anyways they arrive on the scene where Sparkler and Thunder and Lighting are stealing something. As you've noticed none of the PC's could fly leading to alot of ranged attacks.

Thunder and Lighting worked at finishing the robbery while Sparkler "distracted the team.

Well the PC's had a "manuever" they developed that let them stick close and allowed Adaman to "fastball" special teammates.

One well timed (lucky) Flash attack from Sparkler on Adaman, caused him to "Fastball" Ice into a brick wall. (That was about the time Ice's player discovered that Force Wall wasn't that versatile of a Defense Power).

Instead of going into "cautious" mode, Adaman's player decided that he could get Crimebuster far enough with a throw to reach a flying Lighting. Well blind is blind and Crimebuster was launched into the air and missed. Breakfall only helps so much and Crimebuster broke legs, ribs, hips and pretty much took a lot of damage. (Crimebuster had enough PD to take a punch from a thug, but any real damage tended to hurt. NOTE: A high DCV does not stop damage from falls or impact.)

Shadowblade got cocky and went after Sparkler, but in his weakened condition he was easily dropped by her. (The player learned that sometimes it's okay to have more than 8 ED.)

Adaman was left alone, blind and pretty much useless. Granted Sparkler couldn't do enough damage to him and even when T&L joined in it still wasn't enough to do anything major. (30 PD/20 ED 75% Physical DR, 50% Energy DR tends to make a tough fight. Thank god for egoists.)

Sparkler pretty much beat the team in less than a turn. After that players invested in some flash resistant goggles.

(I just realized that there were alot of Martial Artists in this game. Probably because Ninja Hero had just come out and I remember everyone wanting to be a martial artist.

I suppose thats true. I was more referring to the eye rolling about him. I mean' date=' no one likes their "group" to be constantly stereotyped but T. A. Darkon seems to have left a lasting bad taste in the mouth's of our Canadian Hero players.[/quote']

I remember Darkon as being goofy, but didn't remember him being Canadian.

• 2 weeks later...

My use of The Amazing Darkon resulted in one character near dead and the rest of the team terrified of the Darkness power.

That was more or less how it went when I used him in my game. He more than held is own against the PCs. He eventually fled the scene but not before he put a hurting on the heroes.

Sadly, the rights to The Amazing Darkon and The Pomegranate Brothers are still owned by Dennis Malonee, although, only the Pomegranate Brothers as humans are owned by Dennis Malonee.

Due to the vagaries of Champions, the Campaign Design section on Hero was reprinted in 4th edition, so the versions of the Pomegranate Brothers as apes should still legally belong to Hero. HOWEVER...

No one has ever bothered to actually make a pair of brain transplanted gorillas who were formerly evil scientists.

In the campaign example, they worked for S.U.S.H.I. (Yeah, that's right, SUSHI, Supreme Underground Science Headquarters International)

And I KNOW no one wants to bring that organization back. :)

Seeking to avoid rights conundrums, in case I ever manage to get my hands on the ability to publish my gameworld, I inverted this trope, and made two scientists who apes transplanted into (Clearly More Worthy) ape bodies.

If you want to see The Orilla Brothers (Gilberto and Joaquin), along with the rest of the Ape Island Stuff, you'll have to wait until someone gives me a contract. :)

If you want to find out more about the sinister nature of Ape Island, go to the Quote of the Week thread. There's a few little pieces in there somewhere.

And, of course, reprinted here for your shock value...

Me: BLAM! The rocket fires, bursting over his skin, shattering his form, and as the smoke clears, you see a gorilla!

Player 1: He's an APE? In a MAN suit?

Player 2: Gilberto....Orilla. I...should have known.