The Amazing Darkon

gmurie

Re: The Amazing Darkon

Pommiegranite is the guy with the working Superpower creation device

I know he was mentioned in the origin stories of Spectra and the Jabberrock in Champions III, but did he ever show up with a real character write-up? I don't remember ever seeing it....

Darkon was a cliche, but I thought his writeup was good for a few laughs (and I'm Canadian). His Psych Lim of absolute belief in the "darkon theory"; his cardboard thunderbolt helmet which "provides no protection whatsoever"; and being described as "one amazing guy, eh?" :rolleyes:

OTOH while Professor Pythias Pomegranet (and his twin brother Damien) has one of the sillier names in Champions history, I did like the concept of his "Ubermachine" for granting superpowers. One time I made the Ubermachine an invention of Dr. Destroyer, a reality-warping device able to churn out superhumans with random powers... although the viability of the products of the Ubermachine was also unpredictable. Some subjects were simply too radically warped to survive the transformation, which kept their numbers from becoming a campaign-breaking development. Well, that and a shortage of volunteers. ;)

I always used Darkon as a joke villain trying to make it big. Then, in one adventure ... he did ;) Getting a power amplifier, he boosted his powers and went on a rampage, defeating the first wave of PCs to get in his way (they only sent a few thinking, "It's just Darkon!"). Taking on the whole team was a nice epic battle resulting in Darkon loosing his powers ... or so they thought. A few adventures later, the PCs delivered a villain to Stronghold. In an aside at the end, they were walking out and one of them, the yuckster of the group, made a comment about Darkon. The villain scowled and turned to his shadow saying his day will come ... and his shadow motioned in a maniacal pose ;)

"The Amazing Darkon" was a supervillain from Champions III, a common thug who accidentally gained powers from a rogue scientist's "darkon bomb." His design was simplistic, but he wasn't incompetent as supervillains go. However, his background, description, and illustration made him seem rather goofy, as well as playing up a few cliches about Canada; factors magnified by him apparently being the token Canadian in the villain collection.

"The Amazing Darkon" was a supervillain from Champions III' date=' a common thug who accidentally gained powers from a rogue scientist's "darkon bomb." His design was simplistic, but he wasn't incompetent as supervillains go. However, his background, description, and illustration made him seem rather goofy, as well as playing up a few cliches about Canada; factors magnified by him apparently being the token Canadian in the villain collection.[/quote']

The guy must have been pretty bad. :)

Well' date=' unless you're Spiderman, you can't be taken seriously if you call yourself "Amazing"[/quote']

I suppose thats true. I was more referring to the eye rolling about him. I mean, no one likes their "group" to be constantly stereotyped but T. A. Darkon seems to have left a lasting bad taste in the mouth's of our Canadian Hero players.

In my old game in highschool I ran a villain group known as the Elite, membership consisted of Buffalo, the Amazing Darkon, Demonfire (all from Enemies III), Banzai (enemies, the International File), The Remover, and led by Mentallax (both from Villainy Unbound).

They were a popular team to beat up.