Superman

Cassandra

Re: Superman

Yes, but that was in his "invincible" period. He originally was "stronger than a locamotive" (so I cannot spell) and has more recently had his strength (and invulnerability) toned down again.

The Superman in the animated JLA and JLU is much more reasonable.

I'm not a fan of the comic book version of Superman, but the character from JLA and JLU is awesome. I'd say his attributes are significantly lower while still being increadabley impressive; think STR of say 80-90 instead of 135

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here is my 350 point version of Superman, based on the animated series, going to revise him a little bit soon, bumping him up to a high power character (Going to do that to all of the AJL characters, then someday do the JLU characters, but they will be at 350 for the secondaries, while the big 7 will be high power)

Animated Superman

Player:

Val Char Cost

25/75 STR 15

23 DEX 39

25 CON 30

15 BODY 10

14 INT 4

14 EGO 8

15 PRE 5

16 COM 3

20/30 PD 5

20 ED 5

5 SPD 17

10/20 REC 0

50 END 0

50/75 STUN 9

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

5"/15" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 150

Cost Power

Kryptonian Powers, all slots Not in the pressence (4") of Kryptonite or under the radiation of a red sun (-1/4)

24 1) Flight 10", Variable Advantage (+1/4 Advantages; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Not in the pressence (4") of Kryptonite or under the radiation of a red sun (-1/4)

40 2) Superstrength: +50 STR (50 Active Points); Not in the pressence (4") of Kryptonite or under the radiation of a red sun (-1/4)

21 3) Invulnerability: Armor (10 PD/10 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (37 Active Points); Not Vs Magic (-1/2), Not in the pressence (4") of Kryptonite or under the radiation of a red sun (-1/4)

15 4) Heat Vision: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (30 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (2x END; -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Not in the pressence (4") of Kryptonite or under the radiation of a red sun (-1/4)

3 5) Super Vision: +4 PER with Single Sense Group (4 Active Points); Not in the pressence (4") of Kryptonite or under the radiation of a red sun (-1/4)

5 6) Super Vision: +4 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group (6 Active Points); Not in the pressence (4") of Kryptonite or under the radiation of a red sun (-1/4)

2 7) Super Hearing: +2 PER with Single Sense Group; Not in the pressence (4") of Kryptonite or under the radiation of a red sun (-1/4)

2 8) Super Hearing: +4 versus Range Modifier for Normal Hearing; Not in the pressence (4") of Kryptonite or under the radiation of a red sun (-1/4)

12 9) Super vision: Microscopic ( x1,000) with Sight Group (15 Active Points); Not in the pressence (4") of Kryptonite or under the radiation of a red sun (-1/4)

2 10) Super Hearing: Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group) (3 Active Points); Not in the pressence (4") of Kryptonite or under the radiation of a red sun (-1/4)

3 11) Megascaled Sight: Megascale on normal sight (1"=1 KM);, Only when Var Advantage is used for Megascale (+0) (6 Active Points); Linked (Flight; -1/2), Not in the pressence (4") of Kryptonite or under the radiation of a red sun (-1/4)

8 12) X Ray Vision: N-Ray Perception (Sight Group) (10 Active Points); Not in the pressence (4") of Kryptonite or under the radiation of a red sun (-1/4)

8 13) Life Support (Extended Breathing 1 END per 5 Minutes; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat) (10 Active Points); Not in the pressence (4") of Kryptonite or under the radiation of a red sun (-1/4)

Powers Cost: 145

Cost Skill

3 Deduction 12-

1 Streetwise 8-

3 PS: Reporter 12-

2 CK: Metropolis 11-

3 Bureaucratics 12-

3 Conversation 12-

Skills Cost: 15

Cost Perk

6 Fringe Benefit: Membership of the JL, Press Pass

4 Reputation (A large group) ; 11-, +2/+2d6

10 Base

3 Well-Connected

4 1) Bibbo: Contact (Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Very Good relationship with Contact) (5 Active Points) 11-

3 2) Emil Hamilton: Contact (Contact has useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact) (4 Active Points) 11-

4 3) Magie Sawyer: Contact (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact) (5 Active Points) 11-

1 4) To be determined: Contact (Contact has useful Skills or resources) (2 Active Points) 8-

Perks Cost: 35

Total Character Cost: 345

Pts. Disadvantage

15 Dependent NPC: Lois Lane 11- (Normal; Useful noncombat position or skills; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

15 Dependent NPC: Jimmy Olsen 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

15 Hunted: Lex Luther 11- (Less Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: Darkseid 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

10 Hunted: Superman Rouge Gallery 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

25 Susceptibility: Pressence of Kryptonite (4"), 3d6 damage per Phase (Uncommon)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code Versus Killing Common, Total

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity Frequently (11-), Major

15 Psychological Limitation: Protectve of Innocence (Common, Strong)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Well here is my 350 point version of Superman, based on the animated series, going to revise him a little bit soon, bumping him up to a high power character (Going to do that to all of the AJL characters, then someday do the JLU characters, but they will be at 350 for the secondaries, while the big 7 will be high power)

I'm curious, does your group ignore stunning rules? Your version of Superman has 20PD/ED and 25 CON. On a slightly above average role with average damage classes for Supers (12D6) it's not to hard to roll 45 STUN. Your version of Superman were he to punch himself (15D6) would average around 52 STUN effectively guaranteeing a lost phase...Then again who punches themselves in the face?

My personal formula, rule of thumb is that a brick should be able to take his own punch. Bricks routinely trade blows with each other, any weakness will show very quickly.

If you don't use STUN rules I'd be curious as to why. Though for simplicity I've considered eliminating or nerfing the Stun rules myself.

5 PD figured from his base 25 STR

+5 PD bought

+10 PD, hardened, from "Armor" of the invulnerability

+10 PD figured from the +50 STR

= 30 PD (that would be the value after the slash)

It would take an average attack from a 16d6 attack to stun him. Since this is Superman, it's probably a safe bet that there aren't a lot of attacks that are doing more than 15d6 in JMOz's game.

Yes, an ED attack only has to be about 13d6 to stun hum. But this is meant to be the DCAU Superman who was often stunned by energy attacks.

5 PD figured from his base 25 STR

+5 PD bought

+10 PD, hardened, from "Armor" of the invulnerability

+10 PD figured from the +50 STR

= 30 PD (that would be the value after the slash)

It would take an average attack from a 16d6 attack to stun him. Since this is Superman, it's probably a safe bet that there aren't a lot of attacks that are doing more than 15d6 in JMOz's game.

Yes, an ED attack only has to be about 13d6 to stun hum. But this is meant to be the DCAU Superman who was often stunned by energy attacks.

I see, that's a weird way of building the character. It would make more sense to covert PD purchased to resistant using resistant Defense power instead of armor. Why would you need to write 20/30PD? It reminds me of the 4th ED way of building things. Since there's no circumstance that he'd use the 20PD instead of 30PD it's just unnecessarily and confusing.

I see' date=' that's a weird way of building the character. It would make more sense to covert PD purchased to resistant using resistant Defense power instead of armor. Why would you need to write 20/30PD? It reminds me of the 4th ED way of building things. Since there's no circumstance that he'd use the 20PD instead of 30PD it's just unnecessarily and confusing.[/quote']

A. 30/10r is the more generally accepted notation.

B. Armor Piercing Attacks would turn this into 20/10r.

C. Find Weakness - Defenses made resistant by way of the Damage Resistance Power are not considered Resistant vs. the effects of Find Weakness.

If I had to guess, in the Hero Designer file, the Armor is probably set to "Add to Primary" instead of "Add to Secondary". Obviously, the +50 STR is set to "Add to Secondary" as evidenced in STR, REC, and STUN.

And I suspect there wasn't much reformatting done.

But this is just me guessing.

I see' date=' that's a weird way of building the character. It would make more sense to covert PD purchased to resistant using resistant Defense power instead of armor. Why would you need to write 20/30PD? It reminds me of the 4th ED way of building things. Since there's no circumstance that he'd use the 20PD instead of 30PD it's just unnecessarily and confusing.[/quote']

on formating yup, blame HD, and my being lazy

And no, it makes more sense to buy it the way I did, as the armor is hardened

Sometime in the 80's Adventurers Club printed a DC Heroes to Champions System conversion. I ran it word for word for the Man of Steel with no personal interpretation (i.e. no Super Ventriloquism) and created a 1766 point hero under 3rd edition rules. His STR was a 150. It's amazing what you can do with a 1,413 Hero Bonus.

Cassandra, I like the first write-up as opposed to the updated version. Something about his LS and ES in Ultra Slots doesn't work for me.

• 1 month later...