New Limitation Idea

JmOz

I have a new idea for a limitation, this limitation can only be taken on MP Slots (While it could be converted for VPP's this is STRONGLY DISCOURAGED).

Essentialy it is Increased Active Points: A power with this limitation is counted as having more active points for the purpose of using the MP reserve.

Thus a 25 point power with a x2 Active Points would fill 50 points of a MP

The level of limitation is equal to the same as Increased End

The idea came from a mentalist I was working on, he had a suite of normal mental powers (Mind Control, Telepathy, etc) but I also wanted him to have TK but that it would take up more of his mental strength than it should (So he would have TK 10, but to use it he would have to dedicate at least 30 active points to it)

I don't see anything automatically abusive about it, though the GM would definitely have to ensure closely that this didn't violate the Standard Rule of Limitations. For example, in this construct, the Limitation is meaningless:

60 Multipower Reserve

6u 12d6 EB

6u 6 DEF/6d6 Entangle

6u 12d6 Flash

1u 2d6 Healing, Increased Active Points x3 (-1)

In this case, it doesn't matter that the Healing sucks up more of the reserve, because he wouldn't have been able to use anything else in the MP concurrently anyway. :)

Isn't that how the Lockout limitation works?

And no, I wouldn't allow "Increased Active Points" as a limitation either. It actually would increase the range of most powers...that is an ADVANTAGE. For a REALLY good argument, I might go as high as 1/4 regardless of how much of the reserve it chewed up.

From PowerGaming 102 :: Mostly Legal Munchkin Effects

***To put underpowered powers in Elemental Controls, you buy Hardened or Difficult to Dispel, or Affect Desol...those chew the points up fairly quickly.

Re: EC?

Originally posted by eepjr24

I don't think he meant it for EC's, only for MP slots. I would see it as okay in some limited cases, especially if the slot was an M not a U.

Absolutely correct, he specified Multipower slots, not EC slots and specifically argued against VPP's.

As for JmOz: Absolutely right call on VPP's, as far as I can think of it doesn't limit the Power at all in those.

As for the rest, some guidelines on when not to allow it would be advisable, as Derek H. already mentioned, but I can't see anything wrong with it other than that.

Re: New Limitation Idea

Originally posted by JmOz

Essentialy it is Increased Active Points: A power with this limitation is counted as having more active points for the purpose of using the MP reserve.

Please note the bolded text.

It does not allow an increased range, and is not allowed on EC's.

As has already been said this is as a limitation for MP's no other type of framework.

Also on the issue of range you will note that I said only for the purpose of filling the MP, thus no effect on the range of a power, nor how hard it would be to Dispel/Drain/Supress/etc

Lockout is already a -1/2 limitation, and just says you can't use anything else in the MP. Maybe x2 Active Points for -1/4, but I can't see anything beyond that because the lockout would be more limiting at -1/2 than any other iteration of your limitation, while doing basically the same thing.

Hmmmm

60 Multipower

6u 12d6 Energy Blast

1u +20 STR, Increased Active Cost x3, (-1)

1u +20 ED Force Field, Increased Active Cost x3, (-1)

1u 4" Stretching, IAC x3, (-1)

(etc, etc, etc...)

You would also have to watch out for an intentionally large multipower reserve with several Increased Active Cost slots.

Not that I haven't done this with END Reserve and Increase Endurance Cost, mind you. I would never do that. :D