"No Points" Character sheet?

pming

Hiya.

Total newb at HERO system (been playing RPG's for nigh on 30 years now though). One thing I've been unable to find is a character sheet that doesn't have any of the "points" listed on it. Basically, I don't want to see them on a character sheet. For example, I'd like a sheet that had stats listed as:

STAT  Score  Roll  Notes
STR     17   12-  Lift: 280kg // DMG: 3d6
DEX     15   12-  OCV: 5 // DCV: 6
...etc...

The same thing for skills, abilities, etc. I plan on using/making a "character worksheet" that a player uses to actually create the character, making notes on points spent for what adv./disadv. for things, etc. In other words, a sheet that has all the math on it. But for the main character sheet...I don't want math. I don't want/need the breakdown of a power/spell. I want "interpretive description" for stuff.

Another example:

SPECIAL ABILITIES
 Ferina the Archer trained with the wood elves of Thornshadow Woods.
When using a bow, it's range is increased by +1, and she has +3 OCV to hit with it.

Is there any character sheet out there like this? Or am I gonna have to make my own?

Thanks for any help! :)

Paul L. Ming

Re: "No Points" Character sheet?

SPECIAL ABILITIES
 Ferina the Archer trained with the wood elves of Thornshadow Woods.
When using a bow, it's range is increased by +1, and she has +3 OCV to hit with it.

Is there any character sheet out there like this? Or am I gonna have to make my own?

Thanks for any help! :)

Paul L. Ming

If you're looking for a HeroDesigner export template, then, yeah, you'll have to make one yourself, although some of the existing ones might make a good starting point.

I have the sheets I use for convention games, but those are hand-edited to clear the points out. I've attached the Word document, below. Mind, they're for a Champions setting, but the general concept should still apply.

Hiya.

Thanks Karmakazi, that's kinda like what I am looking for. Close, but not quite. :)

I guess I'll have to create my own then....I like having a character sheet that doesn't look like it belongs on an accountants desk. ;)

later!

Paul L. Ming

The points do have a game-time use. If you go that route' date=' you'll encounter problems if anyone ever uses an Adjustment power of any kind.[/quote']

This is where Hero Designer comes into its own.

I think players should have character sheets that facilitate their entry into the game rather than into the system behind it.

I too am looking at the best way to remove as many numbers as possible and am possibly a bit more extreme in that than Paul. I haven't gotten around to the hero Designer template yet but when I am satisfied then I'll drop it into the vault.

However - I would have two versions of the character sheet - the one for the player that has the colour and game entry design and the one for the GM that has the crunch necessary to administer the game.

No extra work - just two printouts rather than one...

Doc

I use a no-points charsheet for all my convention games. Unfortunately I don't have a Herodesigner template for it, I just built it all by hand in MSPublisher. Here's an example from my Teen Titans Go! game.

As KS says, points-free charsheets are best when used in games without Adjustment powers.

Come to think of it, I did a really high-level HD template about 4 years ago -- like a capsule version. It worked ok but had some issues on complex characters, however the export tags have been enriched since then...the problems might be solvable now.

That aside, if I recall correctly Derek Heimforth did one or more barebones / numbers lite exports that might be just what you want. You might want to hit him up for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul,

Are you still looking for a no points character sheet. If you want, and you own hero designer, I can shoot you the export template that I use. It will at least give you a starting point. Also, if you do not want a any large changes, I could probably do it for you.

You can see examples of the character sheets at:

http://www.gamesandgadgets.org/Stuff/

Specifically the Darbor and Vaden links.

I actually use 2 different export templates for a 2 page character sheet (front and back). The Weapons and Hit Chart/Armor sections on page 2 are actually custom tabs that have raw HTML in them.

Please feel free to PM or email me (I think I check-boxed the correct things for it) if you have any question or are interested in the export templates.

Norm.

PS. As a final note, I also added a custom stat to the character sheet. That can easily be taken out of the write-up.