Black Paladin in CU:NOTW (possible spoilers)

Silbeg

Ok, I am going to hide my question in a spoiler tag, for those people that haven't read CU:NOTW, and don't want to know... I would request that repliers do the same. :coach:

In this book, in Black Paladin's update information, there is talk about him being betrayed by Chantrel. Reading Shades of Black, including the CU recap, I don't see anywhere that Black Paladin was actually betrayed.

Maybe this is something that was published elsewhere, or I am just missing.

Thank you all for your time!

Re: Black Paladin in CU:NOTW (possible spoilers)

Ok, I am going to hide my question in a spoiler tag, for those people that haven't read CU:NOTW, and don't want to know... I would request that repliers do the same. :coach:

In this book, in Black Paladin's update information, there is talk about him being betrayed by Chantrel. Reading Shades of Black, including the CU recap, I don't see anywhere that Black Paladin was actually betrayed.

Maybe this is something that was published elsewhere, or I am just missing.

Thank you all for your time!

I'm sure an official answer is forthcoming, but...

could it be that this actually did happen in the real CU campaign, and for that reason was added to the update?

I'm sure an official answer is forthcoming, but...

could it be that this actually did happen in the real CU campaign, and for that reason was added to the update?

Well, I get that he was betrayed some time between CU and CU:NOTW, and that Shades of Black apparently did happen in the canonical CU.

However, none of this actually shows that Chantrel betrayed him, which is stated to be the cause for his "depression", et al.

Well, I guess I need to wait patiently.

Or Black Paladin's interpretation of events? If BP believed Witchcraft destroyed (or incapable of further resistance), he may have decided Chantal 'allowed' herself to be banished... Just a possible guess on my part...

At the conclusion of Shades Of Black, it mentions that if the climactic battle with the heroes goes against the villains, Chantal will attempt to flee and leave the Black Paladin to his fate. I assumed that's what happened in official continuity, and what the BP considers her betrayal.

At the conclusion of Shades Of Black' date=' it mentions that if the climactic battle with the heroes goes against the villains, Chantal will attempt to flee and leave the Black Paladin to his fate. I assumed that's what happened in official continuity, and what the BP considers her betrayal.

[/quote']

Yeah, you are probably right on that...

However...

On the sidebar talking about "In the Champions Universe" it states that Nighthawk stabs (and kills?) Chantel with the dagger during the fight, and that BP and Talisman are captured. This is the part that confuses me, since the brief summary seems to indicate that she did not flee... but was defeated.

I am hoping that there is an "official" story about this... since it does seem that there is some discontinuity.

Thanks, all!!

Yeah, you are probably right on that...

However...

On the sidebar talking about "In the Champions Universe" it states that Nighthawk stabs (and kills?) Chantel with the dagger during the fight, and that BP and Talisman are captured. This is the part that confuses me, since the brief summary seems to indicate that she did not flee... but was defeated.

I am hoping that there is an "official" story about this... since it does seem that there is some discontinuity.

Thanks, all!!

Just because Nighthawk "stabs her to death" with the dagger doesn't mean Chantal didn't try to escape. Shades Of Black explains that killing her with the dagger is one of the few ways to banish her spirit, and that the "vessel" would heal damage taken from the dagger after its rightful spirit returned to it. According to SOB someone with the appropriate occult knowledge (such as Witchcraft) would know this, and could explain that to Nighthawk. SOB also mentions that the vessel's spirit could be haunting the battlefield, giving help and advice to the heroes.

IMHO it's an easy enough matter to explain. However, even if you don't buy that Chantal betrayed the Black Paladin, losing his great love for a second time should be enough to depress him. ;)