Is this a limitation or a power?

Tech

I have a character I'm going to build who uses fire powers. Now, due to her powers, she is always surrounded by a firey sheath of fire/heat (haven't decided which yet) which damages anything it touches. The sheath makes life difficult because when it's on, she can't eat (it burns up), can't drink (it evaporates), etc. However, she has a ring that while wearing it absorbs the heat so her skin is merely warm to the touch and life can continue on as normal. The ring only works for her and her special chemistry; it can't be used as a weapon by putting it on any other fire/heat user and only affects the firey sheath.

Now... would you say this is a disadvantage on the firey sheath damage shield, or would the ring be bought as a a power to neutralize the firey sheath? I'm strongly inclined to say it's a disadvantage on the damage shield for the following reasons:

1) The sheath, although useful in combat, is more of a burden on the character

2) the ring simply helps her live a normal life and doesn't give her an advantage in combat

3) buying a power, just to neutralize another power of the character and affects no one else, just doesn't seem to be worth buying.

However, I want to see what others think. So, what do you say?

Re: Is this a limitation or a power?

I don't have my books with me, but what you're describing is a low-powered Offensive Damage Shield with a conditional Always On. I think there's a way to define an Always On power in that you can turn it off under certain specific conditions.

I don't have my books with me' date=' but what you're describing is a low-powered Offensive Damage Shield with a conditional Always On. I think there's a way to define an Always On power in that you can turn it off under certain specific conditions.[/quote']

(pulls out the book. reads ALWAYS ON). Ah, I see. It'd come out to a -1/4 limitation for Always on. Shows you how often I use this limitation - like once. Thanks!

I don't have my books with me' date=' but what you're describing is a low-powered Offensive Damage Shield with a conditional Always On. I think there's a way to define an Always On power in that you can turn it off under certain specific conditions.[/quote']

Another approach would be to build the power without the Always On Limitation to find the difference in Real Cost. Take this # and build it as a custom power with any appropriate Limitations (like Focus for example). If the character has the ring then the character can turn off the Always On Limitation by putting it on. If he loses the ring he loses the ability to turn off his Damage Shield.

The same basic principle can be applied to many other character types.

(Cyclops of the X-Men is a good example).

Another approach would be to build the power without the Always On Limitation to find the difference in Real Cost. Take this # and build it as a custom power with any appropriate Limitations (like Focus for example). If the character has the ring then the character can turn off the Always On Limitation by putting it on. If he loses the ring he loses the ability to turn off his Damage Shield.

The same basic principle can be applied to many other character types.

(Cyclops of the X-Men is a good example).

I thought about this, but I'm not sure it's entirely appropriate. The situation isn't quite the same as Cyclops's. Without her ring, the aura is always on. With the ring, though, the aura is always off, not controllable. Buying off Always On with a Focus would allow you to control your power when you have the Focus.

I thought about this' date=' but I'm not sure it's entirely appropriate. The situation isn't quite the same as Cyclops's. Without her ring, the aura is always on. With the ring, though, the aura is always off, not controllable. Buying off Always On with a Focus would allow you to control your power when you have the Focus.[/quote']

There have been times when cyclops couldn't control his power unless he had a hand free to adjust his visor.

I'd just call it a wash and define the effects of wearing the ring as you like as a -0 Limitation.

The only other way to build it would be a heavily limited Suppress which might be a good exercise just to compare costs.

This is pretty much the "Cyclops" scenario.

Anyway, the cleanest way to do this is with a Partially Limited Buy-Off for an Always On Lim applied to a Damage Shield that has the Offensive Advantage. You can also do it w/ Variable Limitation but my hate for that Limitation has few bounds.

If you don't want the powers to work at all when wearing the ring, how about the Lockout limitation? Define the condition of the Lockout as when you wear the ring.

Though I don't think Lockout and Always On make sense together. Maybe you should do the buy out of Always On too.

Don't use always on limitation, instead define a new limitation

on your persistent damage shield.

Lose control without ring and power becomes always on -1/4

Then you can make another attack Surpress Fire Powers with a condition that target must wear ring. Or you could use independent limitation if you dont mind the risk involved with that.