Traveller Hero

TheRavenIs

Re: Traveller Hero

Is Traveller Hero still available in Hard copy? I went to the Comstar website but it looks like only the PDF is available.

Also does anybody know of a really good generic (non-rules specific) source book set in the CT era that can help get a campaign started in the Traveller universe.

You need to go to the order page and look down from there. There is a hardcopy/pdf combo that is like $27 or so. It's what I ordered. I think they also have just the hardcopy as well. When you go to buy, click on the "listing" button at the top, and it should get you to the choices. Got there from the "read more" then "buy".

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest voodoo54

You need to go to the order page and look down from there. There is a hardcopy/pdf combo that is like $27 or so. It's what I ordered. I think they also have just the hardcopy as well. When you go to buy' date=' click on the "listing" button at the top, and it should get you to the choices. Got there from the "read more" then "buy".[/quote']

Hey, thanks. Apparently Amazon sells it also but I prefer to buy from Comstar direct since I've had way to many problems with amazon in the past that their a last resort kinda thing.

Hey' date=' thanks. Apparently Amazon sells it also but I prefer to buy from Comstar direct since I've had way to many problems with amazon in the past that their a last resort kinda thing.[/quote']

:thumbup:

It took me a bit to find the options, so I can relate. Enjoy.

A few questions about the Traveller Hero books:

1) I was going to ask about point levels, but since they are scattered throughout the books, I eventually found them. I expected a table similar to the one in the rulebook, but I guess if it is there it didn't need to be in the Traveller Hero book (I refer to something like that on p28, 5er). Oh well.

2) Terms, enlistment, mustering out, skills, events - all the neat stuff of character generation. Where the h#$# are they? As far as I can tell, a term of service is 4 years, and depending on your age you can get something when you muster out. Absolutely no guidelines that I can see on this. Do I just pick a package, apply it, and make up the rest? Do I need to dig out my traveller boxed set and make up the character, then convert? Seriously, how the heck are we supposed to do it? :confused::doi::confused:

3) Well, that's it, I guess. I need to look over the hd files, since at least on struck me as odd - but skimming a few it looks like they gave every option. I would have made them prefabs, but that's easy enough to do.

I think that's all. Except:

Help! :help:

Just wanted to post that I found them. I really need the hardcopy. Of course, not realizing that I could expand the view under pageview and use the up and down arrow keys to move without going to the next page did make it harder. Now that I can see, it's a bit easier on my eyes (although I do need to get an exam :( ).

our oriiginal plan was for characters of 150 pts total

either 75+75 or 100+50

I am going to give Eodin or Tancred a chance to tackle this before I throw my 2 cents in, I mainly dealt with the technical stuff as far as equipment went

It looks like it's either 100+50 or 150+50, depending on the type of campaign (free trader, etc). The point cost suggestions are spread around that section (at the front of book one), although I first found it way towards the middle of the book.

Given the type of game, would the normal skill maxima be good (it's what I plan to use - after 13- [iIRC] cost is doubled)? I can't recall if I saw that mentioned.

I do have to say kudos to you guys. Other then some confusion (in part because I can't read!), I like it - it sparked a renewed interest in running a game. Now all I have to do is wait for my brother to finish his deployment and our group will be all together.

Edit - dealing with base points, if you want to run a military campaign, 150+50 is needed. Imperial Marine and Special Forces packages are (69+65) 134 points. Not a lot to build a decent character with 16 points in characteristics, but it could happen. I haven't tried to make one and see what it can work out to.

I got my books today. Ordered on the 11th, delivered the 14th. Fast work.:thumbup:

I was trying to find the full timeline, and the one in the book (and the one found at a link shadowcat posted in '06) have disappeared. It was also from Don McKinney, not Tom as you have in the book, but hopefully that's been taken care of.

I'm sure the creators are aware, but I just wanted to provide that info to the group.

Now I have to see if I can find that timeline. I have v1, but I'd like to see the newer one.

edit - here it is: http://dmckinne.winterwar.org/trav.html

The suggested levels are, as you mentioned, 100+50 or 150+50. Characters that are close to real-life, as mentioned in CT, tend to have fewer disadvantages and lower level disadvantages than TV and the movies, and so the 50 points in disads suggestion. If I translated my disads, I'd have 5 points in needs glasses parttime, 5 points in DNPC, 5 points in watched, and 10 points in some psychs. 25 -30 points at most. But 50 points max is only a suggestion. If the GM wants to run something with a TV or movie feel, there's nothing to prevent 75 or 100 points in disads for a given campaign. And yes, it may be that 200+50 may be required from some military campaigns - it just depends on what the GM and players want.

Given the type of game, would the normal skill maxima be good (it's what I plan to use - after 13- [iIRC] cost is doubled)? I can't recall if I saw that mentioned.

It's not mentioned in the books, but it's certainly appropriate for a real-world feeling campaign style instead of movie/TV feel.

I do have to say kudos to you guys. Other then some confusion (in part because I can't read!), I like it - it sparked a renewed interest in running a game. Now all I have to do is wait for my brother to finish his deployment and our group will be all together.

Very cool :)

Appreciate the reply. I've just got to play around a bit and see what seems to work. I have some time before I need to worry about running it. I just need to make sure I have enough to keep them busy, especially since I have a few combat monsters who just want to kill/shoot things. A merchant campaign is definitely out (unless it is a viking style pillage campaign, that is) :)

this was supposed to be in a quote format: but this was an answer to badger3K

I was trying to find the full timeline, and the one in the book (and the one found at a link shadowcat posted in '06) have disappeared. It was also from Don McKinney, not Tom as you have in the book, but hopefully that's been taken care of.

just a note: Don did a fair bit of work on the unpublished 2nd edition Star Hero draft, and has written a fair bit of Hero stuff, most of which is in the Red October BBS archives.

this was supposed to be in a quote format: but this was an answer to badger3K

just a note: Don did a fair bit of work on the unpublished 2nd edition Star Hero draft, and has written a fair bit of Hero stuff, most of which is in the Red October BBS archives.

Cool - I didn't know any of this existed until recently. I'm still amazed at the work that people do.

I've always been amazed by the amount of fan support Traveller has always had on the net. were the keepers of the flame I guess. considering all thats gone before us, especially considering how many folks have written traveller material and have gone on to bigger and better things.

as far as further net sources for traveller material, and please note, we dont know yet what the Mongoose Policy on fan sites will be, its in discussion apparently. but there are a ton of great sources out there. most of which are listed in the main books for Traveller Hero, but a google search will turn up even more than are listed in the books. IIRC the original preview version of TH book 1 has the reference sites list in it. if not, I can post some here if needed.

I've always been amazed by the amount of fan support Traveller has always had on the net. were the keepers of the flame I guess. considering all thats gone before us, especially considering how many folks have written traveller material and have gone on to bigger and better things.

as far as further net sources for traveller material, and please note, we dont know yet what the Mongoose Policy on fan sites will be, its in discussion apparently. but there are a ton of great sources out there. most of which are listed in the main books for Traveller Hero, but a google search will turn up even more than are listed in the books. IIRC the original preview version of TH book 1 has the reference sites list in it. if not, I can post some here if needed.

Pg 12 of book 1 does have a bunch of sites, but I can't say what was in the preview version. I figure an easy place to get a lot is the Traveller Webring (http://www.webring.com/hub?ring=traveller), but I haven't gone there to see how many sites there are (found it at another site). Travellers Aid Society (or Journal of the Travellers Aid Society) are other search options that can find good links.

Guest voodoo54

Does Marc Miller still own the rights to Traveller?

I havent been following the development of T5 or Mongoose Traveller to be honest, I know T5 is definately being worked on at least. Rikki Tikki Traveller has possible uses, but I just cant see using it myself, although the ideas that have cropped up about crossing Traveller with Babylon 5 could be interesting

Aslan Rangers come to mind, along with Hivers working as ambassadors for the Vorlon.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been online much lately, so sorry for the late reply.

Badger, the character generation in TH was written with either of 2 options in mind:

1. Create the character in Hero just as you would any other heroic-level game.

-or-

2. Roll the character up in your Traveller system of choice and convert from there.

The system is a little biased toward option 2 since that's the system I submitted, but Eodin and Shadowcat did a good job of expanding on the existing Star Hero packages to make option 1 completely viable, too.

Hope that helps.

I haven't been online much lately, so sorry for the late reply.

Badger, the character generation in TH was written with either of 2 options in mind:

1. Create the character in Hero just as you would any other heroic-level game.

-or-

2. Roll the character up in your Traveller system of choice and convert from there.

The system is a little biased toward option 2 since that's the system I submitted, but Eodin and Shadowcat did a good job of expanding on the existing Star Hero packages to make option 1 completely viable, too.

Hope that helps.

Thanks anyway, even if it is late ;). I guess I was looking for more of something of a hybrid between the two (something like Traveller20 tried, although that was a bit hard to follow at times).

Having the books in hand did help, as it's a lot easier to flip back and forth between the pages than doing it in the pdf files. I'm not sure how I'll do it if I can get the campaign going, but for nostalgia I'd thought about rolling up the old first edition way and taking it off from there. Just because I used to love the way characters were created. You had a history before you started.

Thanks anyway, even if it is late ;). I guess I was looking for more of something of a hybrid between the two (something like Traveller20 tried, although that was a bit hard to follow at times).

Having the books in hand did help, as it's a lot easier to flip back and forth between the pages than doing it in the pdf files. I'm not sure how I'll do it if I can get the campaign going, but for nostalgia I'd thought about rolling up the old first edition way and taking it off from there. Just because I used to love the way characters were created. You had a history before you started.

Having the history was exactly why I came up with a system for converting existing characters; I love the backstories you could create that way. Shadowcat and Eodin took it and ran with it, and dramatically expanded the list of skills to convert. (I had used only Classic Traveller, as it's the only one I own; they added the later versions to it.)

If you do roll your characters in your Traveller system of choice, make sure you use the package deals anyway. Reason being, Hero has a lot more skills than Traveller, and a character that you just convert will tend to not have all the skills he really should. The package deals point you at all the skills someone in whatever the profession is should have. Adding skills from the appropriate package deal(s) will make your character much more rounded.

Having the history was exactly why I came up with a system for converting existing characters; I love the backstories you could create that way. Shadowcat and Eodin took it and ran with it, and dramatically expanded the list of skills to convert. (I had used only Classic Traveller, as it's the only one I own; they added the later versions to it.)

If you do roll your characters in your Traveller system of choice, make sure you use the package deals anyway. Reason being, Hero has a lot more skills than Traveller, and a character that you just convert will tend to not have all the skills he really should. The package deals point you at all the skills someone in whatever the profession is should have. Adding skills from the appropriate package deal(s) will make your character much more rounded.

Good ideas. Thanks for the work and advice. :thumbup: (again)

I just bought a mess of Traveller Hero material and I must say thanks to everyone involved in the project. What a blast from the past. Although I won't be using the Traveller setting per se, it's nice to have all that material at my fingertips. Way to go!

Appreciate the reply. I've just got to play around a bit and see what seems to work. I have some time before I need to worry about running it. I just need to make sure I have enough to keep them busy' date=' especially since I have a few combat monsters who just want to kill/shoot things. A merchant campaign is definitely out (unless it is a viking style pillage campaign, that is) :)[/quote']

Don't neglect reading the ideas in the Introduction of Traveller HERO Book 1. Even merchant campaigns can have conflict - delivering goods in wartime, trading house wars, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been teetering on the edge of getting this for quite some time now and listening to a recorded Traveller game over on rpgmp3 tipped me right over the edge! And I'm very glad it did! I'm now the proud owner of books 1 and 2. :D

To echo the above comments, these are really good books! All the feel of Traveller with all the goodness of Hero System!

Great job all!

:thumbup: