Traveller Hero

TheRavenIs

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Traveller Hero

I've been teetering on the edge of getting this for quite some time now and listening to a recorded Traveller game over on rpgmp3 tipped me right over the edge! And I'm very glad it did! I'm now the proud owner of books 1 and 2. :D

To echo the above comments, these are really good books! All the feel of Traveller with all the goodness of Hero System!

Great job all!

:thumbup:

repped

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Be advised that Traveller hero was written using v5 rules that go 'poof' next spring about May 2009. ALSO Traveller Hero's license goes "poof' in November 2008 and will be yanked from the stores and no longer be for sale either, because the license for Traveller gooes "poof" then...so buy it all now before it's gone!

Penn

CRAP - this appears to be completely true, as I can't find copies of these books ANYWHERE now, in either pdf or hardcopy. This really blows! Just shows you....you step outside of a game system for a year or so and stuff just goes sailing past and out of print :(

Anyone have a line on getting copies of these anywhere? Amazon is no good, nothing on ebay, nothing at Noble Knight, nothing at stiggybaby. Anyone I missed?

Somewhat unbelievably, I just found an old copy last night of the download from when it was free on my hard drive - thought that was long gone! Anyway, this is version 0.9 (from September 2006), how much changed between that and the published versions? I didn't see much in the way of interstellar trade rules in my quick perusal of the contents list, am I missing them or were they never there to begin with?

In the meantime I will just try and keep an eye on ebay for the 'real deal'.

depends on who you got your pdf from' date=' you might be able to get a replacement copy[/quote']

Got it from ComStar itself. They 'expire' the download link after 1 year. Bought both books on 25Aug07 and the links expired 25Aug08. I can see them and I can click them, but the links just give the 'your screwed' pop-up ;)

• 7 months later...

This just kills me.

The last time I was here, I was breathlessly waiting for the release of this game.

Then life happened, and now it seems it's too late.... :(

I know how you feel.

I blame Mongoose. They didn't HAVE to have an exclusive license in order to make their version (in fact, they don't -- SJG still sells GURPS Traveller books, but they are in an 'alternate timeline'). That is the one of the reasons that I did not and probably will not buy the new Traveller.

I keep looking for TH, though.

the biggest problem was Marc Miller decided he didnt want so many versions of Traveller out there, and decided to consolidate things, and several publishers got shafted in the process. then there was the arrogant initial press release by Mongoose that had a lot of folks up in arms. Ken Burnside beat me to contacting Marc directly about it by a couple of hours, but I ran into him at a local used book store and asked him about it.

Ad Astra still holds a license for the US version of Power Projection, and its traveller starship minatures.

also, some 3rd party material for traveller is being published through Mongoose.

The TH Books are good conversions. I liked some of the source material as well.

Mongoose and Marc Miller both made an permanent enemy of me the day the ink dried. TH was, IMO, on the way to hooking a lot of new Hero Gamers into the fold based solely on the fact of the brand name.

I am - to say the least - displeased with how the situation panned out.

The TH Books are good conversions. I liked some of the source material as well.

Mongoose and Marc Miller both made an permanent enemy of me the day the ink dried. TH was, IMO, on the way to hooking a lot of new Hero Gamers into the fold based solely on the fact of the brand name.

I am - to say the least - displeased with how the situation panned out.

I agree completely

I am going to bring up the idea of a TH CD ROM to the powers that be' date=' no clue if its possible at all, but it cant hurt to bring it up, the worst they can do is say no.[/quote']

I have no faith, but they might go for it, it in effect being "free money"... no effort on their side at all, all profit. Doesn't even 'Dilute the brand' as TH players have to go to them for additional source materials