How do you write a campaign log?

I take notes on the sessions I run (and those rare chances when I get to play). I encourage my players to take notes as well (occasional "homework check" with XP bonuses).

I typically have pretty good notes (depending upon the circumstances) after all is said and done...

But how do I go about turning that in to good, fun reading in terms of campaign logs? How do you remember enough to share the fun narrative story, without slowing down the actual game to take SUPER detailed notes?

Perhaps if I tried to type up logs right after the game... but that's hard when you're a busy college student and you run a weekly game...

Thoughts? Because I really do want to create something more substantial than just listed notes.

Re: How do you write a campaign log?

Practice.

Just start writing a bunch and you'll find a good rhythm between detail and pacing.

Sometimes all you need to do is remember that the PCs took out five mooks in the bar before going into the secret room, and say it one sentence. Sometimes you want a little more blow by blow.

Sometimes you want some exact parts of a conversation, sometimes you just need to know they spent an hour planning and get right to the action.

Forgetting a detail isn't a bad thing, forgetting a major plot point is. So if you take notes concentrate on those.

I don't think I am adequately skilled in this area myself. Still, I keep written logs when I run [Stargate & Fantasy]. The groups other regular GM, Edsel tends to write more intriguing logs [Omega Team & Weekend Warriors]

Ghost Angel hit the mark - finding the right tone between detail and pacing is hard to do. You have to experiment and read other story hours to find what works best for you and your group.

I'll leave you with one incredible gift. If you are going to learn, learn from a master. Jonrog Story Hours on ENWorld... Jonrog maybe of some note since he wrote Transformers, Blue Beetle Comics, and several other very notable mass media productions. His story hours are odd and totally beyond my ability but I re-read them for the whimsical flow that he pulls off effortlessly.

I figure' date=' if I can't remember a detail several days after the game took place, it's not worth writing down. I write down names as I need them, places and major events, if a lot happened, but otherwise, I type from memory.[/quote']

I don't tend to keep a log persay. I keep notes with names and a few key phrases that I think will be importentant in later sessions. This is true as a player and GM (although I tend to know what will be importentant as GM). Although something that I do enjoy doing, mostly as player, is capuring a narrative of the games. For this I tend to fallow Alice's idea, If I don't recall it, then it didn't matter. I will recant the exploits of our heroes on their aventures in graphic and expressive oral tradition. It is something I have found I can do fairly well and enjoy. It also helps set mood for games, when you get to hear about the trails and tribulations of your character from someone else, it really brings you back into that mind set of meeting up to those expectations.

What I imagine would be great would be prior to a big scene coming up that will really effect the rest of the game, ie facing a long time rival that may end in the death of many people or the greatest victory in history. That someone should take time to note most of what has happen to lead to that moment and prior to the conclution of that scene someone take a moment and recant all that happened in as much expressive all beit sometimes fabricated detail they can. It will make that final battle/event all that more intense to know your character's lifes work is on the line.

A buddy of mine came up with the idea of doing a "newspaper" after each session. If the PC group's adventure took place in public, they get a story. Of course, the media perception of what happened(or even who is in charge of the team) might be a bit different from reality. Other stories give you an idea of what other heroes are up to. Some are plot hooks. It works good. It also lets you keep a general running timeline.

In the last campaign, I also kept a separate "comic book" synopsis. Since I was taking over for a friend, my first session was labeled Vol. 2 Issue 1. Each one had a title and gave a short 3 paragraph or so summary written in "high comic style"(and I'm thinking Bronze age or early Iron age 70s-80s).

I am the only one in my gaming group usually who keep detailed notes and then transcribes them online for the Campaign/Character Journals.

Date:

Caste of Characters:

PCs

NPCs

Adversaries

etc...

Episode 1/Chapter 1/etc... Adventure Name

The Good: (Where you put down the highlights of the session and character points awarded.)

The Bad: (Where you put down where things went pareshaped, bad decisions, or forshadowings, and puns...)

The Ugly: (Things you feel could have been better, complaints about the session, etc... ie; "My character died")

Check out the various personal Campaign/Adventure/Character Journals written by your favourite Forum members... Like me ;)

Cheers

QM

I don't tend to keep a log persay. I keep notes with names and a few key phrases that I think will be importentant in later sessions. This is true as a player and GM (although I tend to know what will be importentant as GM). Although something that I do enjoy doing' date=' mostly as player, is capuring a narrative of the games. For this I tend to fallow Alice's idea, If I don't recall it, then it didn't matter. I will recant the exploits of our heroes on their aventures in graphic and expressive oral tradition. It is something I have found I can do fairly well and enjoy. It also helps set mood for games, when you get to hear about the trails and tribulations of your character from someone else, it really brings you back into that mind set of meeting up to those expectations. [/quote']

Just tacking onto that:

If it's important to the PCs but not to the GM, the PCs will remind you, and then you can plug it into the log where needed. Or you can just write the next log as if you never forgot that detail the PCs found important.

I have run into a couple of details my players found important but that had slipped my mind, and they were only too happy to remind me. Wasn't a problem.

1. try to mention every character every week.

ie: even if Robbie didnt show up for the game session,

mention that his character Captain Cavewight was off delousing his

secret base or something

2. try to mention every character every week.

ie: even if Robbie did attend the game session,

but all he did was sit there for 3 of the 4 hours on his cellphone,

pausing only long enough to grunt, roll dice, and say

"I think I hit DCV 9", then mention in the log that

Captain Cavewight seemed mesmerized by the combat or something.