Less Educated

薔薇語

Hello,

For my new character idea for a Teen Champions setting game. The character in this case was trapped in 'the relm of shadows' from the third grade and as such never recieved a proper education. He recently exscaped from their and now is being taken in by the school in order to teach him how to better control his new powers. Unfortuneatly he never finished most of his education and is now enrolled as a standard Freshman. How should I write up a disad to reflect his lack of proper 'school education?"

At first I was thinking Physical lim probably Frequent slightly (there is a fair use of tech in the school as well as a Super Scientist in the party). But wasn't sure if this was the best way to handle it. So I throw it out there to you to recommend the best way to do this.

Thank you,

La Rose

Re: Less Educated

What they said.....Psych Lim: Fish out of water.....my Alien Power Suit hero Aurora is that way. She is intelligent but socially inept as she isn't Human and is still learning about Human Culture. One of the two Team Leaders of the Group shows great affection for her, has the hots for this Blue Alien chick basically, but she doesn't/can't reciprocate because she doesn't understand "Love". I'd say you have a similar situation here. The character is basically a toddler socially compared to the rest.

Hello,

For my new character idea for a Teen Champions setting game. The character in this case was trapped in 'the relm of shadows' from the third grade and as such never recieved a proper education. He recently exscaped from their and now is being taken in by the school in order to teach him how to better control his new powers. Unfortuneatly he never finished most of his education and is now enrolled as a standard Freshman. How should I write up a disad to reflect his lack of proper 'school education?"

In real life, someone without a third grade an higher education would lack several skills we take as commonplace: writing in cursive, multiplication, adding three-digit numbers, social studies (from understanding basic geography to history), science, and probably socialization, depending upon what the "realm of shadows" was like. If your character was discarded into the realm and left alone, then a closer to reality application would be the equivalent of children raised by dogs, giving your character at best, the eduction/mentality of an 8 or 9 year old, but more likely he would have degenerated into basic, primal thinking. (Your character has had maybe four years of education followed by six years of no education.)

In the end, it would depend upon what happened to the character in the shadow realm and how far you're willing to go for this niche.

In real life, someone without a third grade an higher education would lack several skills we take as commonplace: writing in cursive, multiplication, adding three-digit numbers, social studies (from understanding basic geography to history), science, and probably socialization, depending upon what the "realm of shadows" was like. If your character was discarded into the realm and left alone, then a closer to reality application would be the equivalent of children raised by dogs, giving your character at best, the eduction/mentality of an 8 or 9 year old, but more likely he would have degenerated into basic, primal thinking. (Your character has had maybe four years of education followed by six years of no education.)

In the end, it would depend upon what happened to the character in the shadow realm and how far you're willing to go for this niche.

He did have a close friend there, and there was a social structure of sorts that would have added to a means of developing basic social skills, although he would lack knowledge of standard ettiquet in 'normal' society. Arithmitic was the highest science class he would have had, and even then division will still be hard to comprehend. No knowledge of the culture or histroy of this world. Although cursive is interesting and I never thought of it. But I learned cursive since first grade (maybe even earlier). But I don't think he would have had enough experience to say he is well versed in it, or even knows it now. Thanks for the thought, It would have never occured to me to think about cursive normally. Come to think of it, he probably shouldn't have litteracy in english at all (given my concept of 'RoS' wouldn't have used written english much if at all.

Thanks everyone for your comments I am finding them helpfull.

La Rose

Of course there are people in real life in situations somewhat like this. I know two Somali Bantu girls (OK, I know more Somali Bantus than that, but my example is about these two). They grew up in a Kenyan refugee camp. They are the same age. One arrived in the USA about four years ago at the age of ten. That made her grade school age and they placed her in third grade because she was still learning English and only had the equivalent of a 2nd grade education. The other girl arrived about three years ago at the age of 11. That made her middle school age and they put her in the 6th grade. Let me tell you, it makes a big difference. Your person who is a freshman with a 3rd grade education can expect a lot of frustration because they haven't had a chance to learn what they missed grades 4-8 and odds are they won't be properly caught up by learning the basics they missed before getting hit with material they have no reference points for. It will take a sympathetic administration, supportive teachers, and someone doing one-on-one work to get this character up to speed...and the school year often starts with good intentions in these areas only to evaporate because they take committment, too. My greatest frustration was always that after helping the second girl with the ton of homework she got we often didn't have time to practice basic arithmetic and reading.

That really was an effort to give you some insight into problems your character may face, not just me ranting, honest. :)

Soc Lim: School system is processing rather than educating him?