Main Skills of a enery blaster?

Kestanen

Re: Main Skills of a enery blaster?

Im tring to roll up a ice energy blaster, but im unclear on what stats are important to a blaster....

Thxs

DEX is always nice; along with CON and END to power all those blasts as well as some defenses. Some Combat Skill Levels to compensate for range penalties is also useful.

I'd recommend some sort of concept-based Defensive Power(s), too. In your character's case, for example, Ice-based Armor. Maybe it even provides extra DEF against heat- and fire-based attacks (probably Ablative, though).

Blasters are often pretty mobile as well, so some sort of Movement Power might also be appropriate.

But as Trebuchet said, it takes END to run all of those things. So CON and END are going to be a high priority. Blasters, in my experience, use even more END than Bricks do.

Well, to state the hideously obvious, being able to hit you target is exceptionally important. Start with a DEX of 24 (42 pts); that gives you a base OCV/DCV of 8. Follow that with Skill Levels, both to boost your OCV and to offset any Range Penalties. Find Weakness lets you be more effective when you do hit; Defense Manuever keeps you on your toes while you're taking your shot.

That's all I've got off the top of my head. More later if I think of it, unless (more likely) someone thinks of it first.

Once upon a time only martial artists needed 24 DEX, but with time and point creep... You could still get away with a lower DEX, 18 being the minimum and then throw down some skill levels with your powers. Use the points saved for a smidgen more CON as a high END is a must for an energy blaster, without it you've got to fall back on something like charges. And using limitations like charges on your ice blaster is not a good idea.

For a first time character, avoid all the fancy doodahs and geegaws that the HERO system can let you use. Stick to the basics.

IF you have an ample supply of END, then this build might come in handy...

Extended Push +2d6 E-Blast, x10 END (-4), Only while pushing (-1/2)

(+)10 Active, 2 Real.

So, for 10 extra END you get a 4d6 Push instead of just 2d6. It can come as a nasty surprise for a villian.

Or an alternative: Buy your normal E-blast 0 END. Then buy the above as an Impossible Push, since 0 END powers normally can't be pushed... but you're paying points to do it anyway!

If you can con your GM into it, +4 or +6 dice are also possible... but it will cost a HUGE amount of END, so be careful.

Here's an Ice Projector Villain from my capaign world. A little higher than the 350 starting but it might be a good example on how to build one for yourself.

Snow Blind

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15 STR 5 12- Lift 200.0kg; 3d6 [1]

21 DEX 33 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

15 CON 10 12-

10 BODY 0 11-

10 INT 0 11- PER Roll 11-

10 EGO 0 11- ECV: 3

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

10 COM 0 11-

5/30 PD 2 Total: 5/30 PD (0/25 rPD)

5/30 ED 2 Total: 5/30 ED (0/25 rED)

5 SPD 19 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

16 REC 20

50 END 10

50 STUN 24 Total Characteristic Cost: 135

Movement: Running: 6"/12"

Flight: 25"/200"

Leaping: 3"/6"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

75 Ice & Cold: Multipower, 75-point reserve5u 1) Arctic Attack: EB 6 1/2d6, Hole In The Middle (+1/4), Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1) (74 Active Points); No Range (-1/2) 7

7u 2) Ice Ball: EB 15d6 (75 Active Points) 7

7u 3) Cryo Beam: EB 7d6, NND (LS: Intense Cold; +1) (70 Active Points) 7

5u 4) Flash Frozen: Entangle 6d6, 6 DEF, Entangle And Character Both Take Damage (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Vulnerable (Uncommon; Fire & Heat; -1/2) 7

7u 5) Ice Lance: RKA 4d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (75 Active Points) 3

7u 6) Icey Fog: Darkness to Sight Group 5" radius, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (75 Active Points)

7u 7) Snowblind: Sight Group Flash 6d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Area Of Effect (10" Cone; +1) (75 Active Points)

45 Ice & Cold: Elemental Control, 90-point powers

45 1) Ice Shield: FF (25 PD/25 ED/5 Flash Defense: Sight Group/5 Flash Defense: Hearing Group), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (90 Active Points)

30 2) Ice Slides: Flight 25", x8 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (90 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (-1/4), Visible (-1/4)

30 3) Ice Supports: Aid Body 6d6, Conditional Power Only to Brace/ Reinforce objects (+0), Ranged (+1/2) (90 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2) 9

2 LS (Safe in Intense Cold)

Perks

8 Contact: Nunzio 'Goomba' Stomboli (Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has useful Skills or resources) 15-

Skills

3 Combat Driving 13-

8 Gambling (Card Games, Dice Games, Sports Betting, Roulette) 11-

4 Language: Italian (completely fluent; literate)

3 Streetwise 13-

2 WF: Small Arms

15 +5 with Multi Power

15 +3 with DCV

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 330

Total Cost: 465

200+ Disadvantages

20 Vulnerability: 2 x BODY Fire & Heat (Common)

20 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Fire & Heat (Common)

10 Vulnerability: 2 x Effect Fire & Heat (Uncommon)

15 Psychological Limitation: Acts Stereotypically Italian (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Casual Killer (Common, Strong)

15 Social Limitation: Public ID (Frequently, Major)

20 Hunted: Police 11- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

15 Psychological Limitation: Overconfident (Common, Strong)

5 Distinctive Features: Pure White Eyes (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15 Physical Limitation: Wierd Bio Chemistry requires special medical attention (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)

10 Unluck: 2d6

100 Cold Hearted Villain Bonus

5 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 260

Background/History: 'Big Tony' was just your every day common criminal. A few robberies, a few hustles, even the occasional hit. He was content in his life but not happy, that all changed when he met Mr. Psycho. Tony had robbed a liquor store, but was trapped in the store by the police. Then it happened , the front of the store shattered and in floated Mr. Psycho. Psycho stretchd out his arms and both Tony and the clerk began to float in the air, Tony towards Psycho but the clerk went flying into the rack of bottles behind the counter.

"Are you going to kill me?" Tony asked.

"No my friend, I am going to give you what you want."

"H...how do you know what I want?"

"What does any criminal want?. Power, power to take what they want. I am going to give you that power"

"What's the catch"

"That you are at my disposal when I need you. Do we have a deal?"

"I'm all yours, boss"

Psycho flew them back to his headquarters, where in the lab he handed Tony a vial of white liquid that was freezing cold to the touch.

"Drink this and the power I promised shall be yours."

Tony drank the liquid and promptl passed out. While unconcious the formula changed Tony's body. When he awoke several hours later Psycho was standing over him.

"How do you feel?" Psycho asked offering a hand.

"Pretty good" Tony replied taking Psycho's hand. WHen he did his powers first manifested themselves covering Psycho's hand with a thing layer of ice.

"Quite chilling," Psycho said "Come my friend let us see what you are capable of."

Over the next few days Tony learned to control his powers. And during one of those sessions an old Black Sabbath song was playing on the radio."

"Hey Boss" he yelled.

"What do you want?"

"That's it"

"What is?"

"That's what you can call me...Snowblind"

Psycho thought about it and smiled "Very well you shall be Snowblind. Come your training is complete. We have much to do and we will need more allies."

Personality/Motivation: Snowblind acts like your stereotypical low level mafia peon.

Quote: "Hey are yous a little cold?"

Powers/Tactics: Generally uses his entangle first followed by either his eb or rka. If surrounded he will unleash his arctic attack.

Campaign Use: Evil Iceman Clone

Appearance: Big Tony looks like your stereotypical italian mobster. When not being Snowblind he wears expensive three piece suits, wears his hair slicked back...etc.