Norse Warrior

Ragnarok

So, I'm starting a Norse-themed campaign in the Spring, and I want to create a typical Norse warrior that could give each PC a run for his money in single combat. The PC point limit I had envisioned was 115-125.

What I envisioned was a rank and file, sword-swinging Norse warrior that isn't basic cannon fodder. What I need help with is suggestions on allocating points for STR, DEX, CON, BODY, and maybe some appropriate combat talents and powers.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Re: Norse Warrior

I assume you mean a warrior with the standard sword/axe and shield combination, wearing leather armour or possibly mail if he's well off. Although you might want to consider dropping in a berserker as well or perhaps a big bloke with a big axe.

For stats I'd suggest something like

Body 13.

Con 15

Str 15

Dex 12-14.

That should allow him to hold his own, not too easy to hit or to stun but not impossible to bring down either. I've discovered that minions with high Body can really irritate adventuring parties.

The number of CSLs you allocate would I assume depend on how many your PCs have on average.

At this level of points he should have various different abilities. Perhaps some skill with throwing axes to go with hand to hand skills? Wrestling and or boxing for those ship-board brawls and for subduing captives.

Some Nordic martial arts such as Offensive Strike or Shield Block might be suitable.

Perhaps something to do with shaking off pain and blood loss, eg. Con only to protect against being stunned.

Other thoughts.

Death Song. (Knowing that he's done for the warrior resigns himself to death and prepares to meet Odin with his head held high and a battle hymn on his lips). +5 Presence and +1-3 levels with Hand to Hand Combat, One Recoverable Charge, Incantations, (song), only after losing two thirds of his Body.

Two Weapon Fighting. Ideal for blocking with the shield then stabbing with the sword or just taking the opportunity to hit people more often.

Some knowledge of great warriors and/or fighting arts. A good way for the warrior to realise that the PCs are tougher than he is and so act accordingly.

The Machtig of my fantasy setting San'Dora have a lot of Norse parallels...you might be able to use some of my material for it...

Machtig

Also, the Nine Arrows campaign started off with the original 9 PC's being Machtig; you might be able to use one of them as is for NPC's / stock characters:

Nine Arrows PCs

'Lo, there do I see my father.

'Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers.

'Lo, there do I see the line of my people...

Back to the beginning.

'Lo, they do call to me.

They bid me take my place among them.

In the halls of Valhalla

Where the brave may live forever.

AHMAD IBN AL-'ABBÄS IBN RASHÏD IBN HAMMAD IBN FADLAN by Thanks Susano

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsbook/ahmad.html

Category: Norse mythology in popular culture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Norse_mythology_in_popular_culture

Viking Death Prayer from The 13th Warrior

http://www.youtube.com/

Help...

QM

I am not sure (been awhile) but they might could use some kind of fearlessness going on. If I remember, Valhalla kind of frowned upon any kind of cowardice in battle. (though things like the Death Song and bersekers may make the right feel of what I am thinking)

Hi

You could do worse to hunt down a book published by ICE "Campaign Classics: Vikings". It has background and Hero related stats and so forth. Old original FH but still useful.

Cheers

B

The character write-ups are a real hoot from a 'munchkinising' point of view; forget 'double-dipping' of Disads - more like 'triple-dipping' in some of them.

The "Campaign Classics: Vikings" book is of course out of print, but here's hoping that it gets the 'Campaign Classics: Mythic Greece' treatment (i.e. the IP gets sorted out and the book gets scanned and sold as a very reasonably-priced [$8] PDF) -and I still hope that they manage to do the same for "Campaign Classics:Mythic Egypt" as well.