Lexi Luthor, Celebutante Supervillain?

Michael Hopcroft

One of my responses to Scenes from a Hat has got me to thinking: can you imagine a Champions supervillainess who combines the public image of a Paris Hilton with the power and intellect of a Lex Luthor?

I see the character as the personal nemesis of the most powerful female super in the campaign, mtoviated by a combination of jealousy and the fact that the heroine is about the only person she can't buy or threaten off (as I put it in my review of DC Heroes second edition, "the corruptor must destroy the incorruptible man" in reference to the Superman/Luthor rivalry).

And of course, the general public has no idea she is that powerful or can pose a real threat. Yet half of the campaigns' central city works for her, whether they realize it or not, pawns in a grand game she is playing to an end only she knows.

Re: Lexi Luthor, Celebutante Supervillain?

They kind of did this in the Legion of Super-Heroes cartoon. Young Supes fell into the clutches of a super rich spoiled brat girl named Alexis. Of course, when he ditched her to fight crime, she decided to win him back by committing crimes of her own and ended up in jail. At the end of the episode, a character walked by wearing a t-shirt that said, in Interlac (the future alphabet of the LSH) "Alexis' last name is Luthor."

They kind of did this in the Legion of Super-Heroes cartoon. Young Supes fell into the clutches of a super rich spoiled brat girl named Alexis. Of course' date=' when he ditched her to fight crime, she decided to win him back by committing crimes of her own and ended up in jail. At the end of the episode, a character walked by wearing a t-shirt that said, in Interlac (the future alphabet of the LSH) "Alexis' last name is Luthor."[/quote']

I'd have liked to have seen that episode. The later DC Universe animated series had some fun with spoiled rich brat villainesses, such as Kitten from Teen Titans (who launched a complex scheme against the city and the Titans just to win her boyfriend back, snd earned Starfire's eternal enmity in the process).

One of my responses to Scenes from a Hat has got me to thinking: can you imagine a Champions supervillainess who combines the public image of a Paris Hilton with the power and intellect of a Lex Luthor?

I see the character as the personal nemesis of the most powerful female super in the campaign, mtoviated by a combination of jealousy and the fact that the heroine is about the only person she can't buy or threaten off (as I put it in my review of DC Heroes second edition, "the corruptor must destroy the incorruptible man" in reference to the Superman/Luthor rivalry).

And of course, the general public has no idea she is that powerful or can pose a real threat. Yet half of the campaigns' central city works for her, whether they realize it or not, pawns in a grand game she is playing to an end only she knows.

I think this would be an excellent way to run Gravitar. Her secret identity is an extremely wealthy French socialite, and she has the power, intellect, resources, and ambition.

Only little people pay taxes. :sneaky:

Plot seed:

Tired of paying taxes, the Munchkins of the Lollipop Guild, the Smurfs and all of Frodo's cousins band together and dump a load of tea in the Harbour. How will the heroes react- especially when they realise that the "villains'" grievances are legitimate? And how does Alexis Luthor benefit from all this?

I think that line could use a bit of supervillainous editing:

Can you see Alexis Luthor going all 'Cruella DeVille'?

"This coat, which I designed, is made from the skins of 100 fools who dared oppose me, all of whom were skinned alive. It creates such a smooth texture that way."

Or perhaps' date=' therefrom hangs a tail... :sneaky:[/quote']

I was thinking that perhaps some accident has rendered Lexi completely hairless (to the point that her morning routine includes putting on prosthetic eyebrows), and that her cunning use of wigs and makeup makes the general public think she spends a fortune with stylists.

One reason she will do everything humanly possible to avoid jail is that a mug shot would reveal the truth about her appearance, making keeping up her facade much more difficult.

You've been watching Project A-Ko haven't you?

You've been watching Project A-Ko haven't you?

B-Ko is like the Pre-Crisis Luthor, in that she feels the need to compete with A-Ko on the physical level. The current version of Luthor has so much temporal power that putting on a suit of armor to go toe-to-toe with Superman is beneath his dignity no matter how much hate he holds in his heart.

Mikey, why don't you go a step further? Lex was tetched with Supes over the whole hair loss thing... So why not go Dr.Phibes? The scene where Vincent is recreating his face with a stick on nose, ears and eyebrows? Her whole face, of which she was so vain cannot be repaired as she has a wierd immune system, won't accept transplants, growth hormones or whatever etc you can think off.

Now doing her morning makeup becomes a real job as well as a work of art. The old saying of 'only her hairdresser knows for sure' takes on a new meaning.

Mikey, why don't you go a step further? Lex was tetched with Supes over the whole hair loss thing... So why not go Dr.Phibes? The scene where Vincent is recreating his face with a stick on nose, ears and eyebrows? Her whole face, of which she was so vain cannot be repaired as she has a wierd immune system, won't accept transplants, growth hormones or whatever etc you can think off.

Now doing her morning makeup becomes a real job as well as a work of art. The old saying of 'only her hairdresser knows for sure' takes on a new meaning.

Then she'd be buying her COM with some Limitations. Interesting.