Classic Fantasy

Guest Admiral C

Guest Admiral C

The Fantasy Hero book lists common fantasy bits and tropes which is pretty helpful but I find myself needing some more specific ones, specifically ones relating to monster weaknesses abilities, scenary/locales, and magic effects.

I say "classic fantasy" for lack of a better term. Fantasy novels that draw more from mythology and classical writing more than "what was popular last year". Not all of it's old of course, the shadowmen from Dave Duncan's Impossible Odds are a good example of a monster with an exploitable weakness that doesn't involve exotic countermeasures. But some things that would be called D&Disms for all of the times they appear in fantasy media. Ultimetly I want to craft the older, rougher around the edge game that lacks needless glitz and pop.

Mostly what I want is to differentiate it from what I call "pop fantasy", the realm of huge shoulderpads, elves in stilleto heels, goofy weapons, and just a general fantasy veneer over modern pop culture. What I've got so far:

Monsters What effects/weaknesses are very exploitable or have obvious counters? Often very simple, can be described in one sentence and are easy to model. Think vampiric or lycanthropic weaknesses in terms of style.

Turning to Stone in daylight.

Being immune to non-magical steel but not base metals.

Being unable to enter areas with a certain type of plant.

Being bound to a specific location or gaining benefits like being unkillable in a certain location.

Having a crippling addicition to something they will do anything for despite operating normally without it.

Being vulnerable to a certain common item.

Not being able to use objects made out a specific material.

Being especially durable as long as certain rituals are maintained.

Taking on traits based on what they eat, such as having stone skin for eating rocks.

Being unable to stop or harm anyone who knows a certain password or can answer a riddle.

A race that is mutable enough to have dozens of different subtypes.

Scenery What sticks out in a fantasy movie or novel that really evokes the feel of the fantasy genre and not just that specific piece.

Massive statues from earlier kingdoms, usually paired with a large geological feature to give them scale like a lake or a waterfall.

Themed cities like cities of the undead, cities of dwarves or elves with their own thematic order.

Important locations like bridges and castles that are obviously from an earlier time but still well used.

Armories with older sections that are filled with larger, bulkier versions of what makes up the primary armory.

Castles or keeps in locations that can't support them because population or natural resources dried up.

Castles or keeps in largely unfeasable areas like deserts and mountaintops.

Dangerous Wasteland that nobody goes to but is large and out of the way.

Graphic reminder of the last evil overlord like an giant hour glass made of skeletons, glass, and filled with powdered bones counting the moments until he returns from the dead.

Magic What feels really magical and does things that makes stories possible that may involve a lot of forethought and planning to make reasonable.

Various means of teleportation like fareie circles of mushrooms and portals.

Magic that can spread quickly, like easy to learn charms.

Realms that are utterly desolate except for a few relevant features that the PCs just have to visit.

Mystical rivers, caves, and forests that can't be entered by normal means but have metaphysical traits linked with their terrain, like a river that washes away memories and contain exaggerated versions of dangers normally found there.

Suggestions for any of these three?

Re: Classic Fantasy

Monsters-

A cause for their being. Either background or part of the plot. It is rarely the case that the existence of a particular monster is so commonplace the origins are ignored and never mentioned. If origins are a mystery, then the plot will involve finding those origins as part of it.

Scenery-

Forbidden areas. Either religiously forbidden, magically, politically or whatever. Somewhere that the PCs should not venture - they usually do, but not always.

Magic-

Individualism. No two users of magic are alike. Everyone has their own specialties and some are better than others. Some may not even call it magic and it would not be easily recognised as magic.

Monsters.

- Flawed prophecy of invincibility.

E.g. "It is written that I shall not be slain, by man nor beast, by Dwarf nor Elf. You cannot kill me."

"As it happens I'm a half elf woman so you're screwed pal."

Scenery.

- Ancient cities that sank beneath the waves long ago yet still keep dangerous secrets hidden within their watery depths.

- Dark and dreary Underworlds filled with restless spirits.

Magic.

- Faeries with a natural talent for magic and no respect for anything whatsoever apart from certain arbitrary rules.

Real vampires (ie: the ones in folklore and mythology) aren't affected by sunlight. Some, like the Polish and Russian vampires were active from midday to midnight and Dracula himself appears in daylight in the original novel, albeit with reduced powers. The myth about vampires being unable to stand the sun was invented by FW Murnau for "Nosferatu". The idea is quite logical: vampirs are creatures of evil and so vulnerable to God's sunlight. Plus it was an excuse for some cool (for the time) SFX.

Monsters:

-Vulnerable to a certain weapon enchantment (elf-bane swords and the like)

-Created for a finite purpose (Orcs are bred as soldiers and cannon fodder. Once the wars are over, they cease to have a purpose. Short, bloody life spans.)

-Unable to enter a geographical area or warded area (holy ground, running water, enchanted forest)

-Inability to work together/sacrifice for the common good (or common evil, I suppose.)

-Vulnerability to a specific type of energy (i.e., trolls don't do so well with fire and acid)

Scenery:

-magical forests (shifting trees, strange noises)

-foggy barrow downs, filled with the tombs of ancient warriors

-abandoned mines

Magic:

-Inheritable or lycanthropic magical traits (fast healing, glowing eyes, luck, small woodland creatures attracted to you, etc...)

Hope this helps.

Guest Worldmaker

Real vampires (ie: the ones in folklore and mythology) aren't affected by sunlight. Some' date=' like the Polish and Russian vampires were active from midday to midnight and Dracula himself appears in daylight in the original novel, albeit with reduced powers. The myth about vampires being unable to stand the sun was invented by FW Murnau for "Nosferatu". The idea is quite logical: vampirs are creatures of evil and so vulnerable to God's sunlight. Plus it was an excuse for some cool (for the time) SFX.[/quote']

The same is true of werewolves. The classic werewolf didn't turn into a "wolf-man" hybrid, but rather just became a wolf. Also, the silver allergy is a recent invention.

The same is true of werewolves. The classic werewolf didn't turn into a "wolf-man" hybrid' date=' but rather just became a wolf. Also, the silver allergy is a recent invention.[/quote']

And depending on the myth might not have been a threat to man, if left alone

Forest Primeval. The trees are huge and ancient. It is obvious that nobody has tried to clear this forest in millenniums, if ever.

Midas

When you start cutting, they start fighting back. Or, in other words...

In Soviet Russia, you don't clear the forest. The forest clears you.

:D

Resurrection / life-death-rebirth

Osiris, Adonis, Tammuz, Zalmoxis, phoenix, Jesus, Mithras, Baldr, Odin, Inanna/Ishtar, Persephone, Julunggul, Wawalag, Tammuz, Phoenix, Quetzalcoatl, Xipe Totec, Baal, Cernunnos, Zalmoxis, Horus, Amun, Amun-Min (Amen-Min), Atunis, Cronus, Cybele, Dionysus, Orpheus, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, Heitsi, Kaknu, Gullveig, Attis, Aeneas, Bacchus, Proserpina, Veles, Jarilo, Damuzi

Monsters:

-addiction to a certain substance that boosts their power, but when taken away, they are weak (some type of herb, or magic)

Scenery:

-underground lakes, rivers, and waterfalls, with some sort of ambient light created by phosphorescent fungi

Magic:

-some type of magic that has a great effect on another. (i.e. holy magic versus undead)

Scenery and Magic:

There are areas where the "mana" level is very high; magic done there will go out of control. Similar idea: there are areas where one or more magic spells are still going strong, centuries after they were cast. Yet another similar idea: there are areas where magic effects are random, continuous, or both.

Such areas are usually portrayed in fiction as the sites of major magical battles or wars, long, long ago.

If we're going with Russian myths, the leshi will give you serious grief if you start messing with his forest. In fact, you may never leave . . .

PS: Edain, you really spell Caine, K-A-N-E

(As Karl Edward Wagner could tell you and he was still alive . . . RIP, Karl)

Settings:

A world whose overall geography is different from Earth. E.g., a flat plain or group of flat plains of irregular shape floating in midair. A flat disk on the back of four elephants standing on the shell of a turtle (NB: Pratchett did not invent this idea).

A world smaller or much larger than Earth.

A world where the godlings that run things (weather, streams, etc.) are not only real, but entirely visible.

Guest Admiral C

Monsters.

- Flawed prophecy of invincibility.

E.g. "It is written that I shall not be slain, by man nor beast, by Dwarf nor Elf. You cannot kill me."

I can't believe I forgot this one. A classic.

Magic.

- Faeries with a natural talent for magic and no respect for anything whatsoever apart from certain arbitrary rules.

I'm trying to focus on two types of creatures in my current game that I have neglected in the past, shapeshifters and fey. I've already stretched fey along the whole gammut from underground brutes, to fey trolls, to various intelligent races forest and deep.

Guest Admiral C

Forest Primeval. The trees are huge and ancient. It is obvious that nobody has tried to clear this forest in millenniums, if ever.

Midas

I really like this. Taken with a slight spin you could easily have all manner of prehistoric mammals in there like dire wolves, giant insects, mammoths and beardogs.

Guest Worldmaker

I'm not sure what category this would fall under:

-- Beautiful damsels being kept in unusual and (usually) mystical captivity by their father/their mother/evil witches/ogres/other beasts/curses. They're kept in towers without doors, and in mirrors, in crystal coffins, in long-term comas, and in matchboxes and in eggs... and are always in need of rescuing.

When you start cutting, they start fighting back. Or, in other words...

In Soviet Russia, you don't clear the forest. The forest clears you.

:D

I actually had a plot that consisted of a town trying to expand, but couldn't the tools that the villagers were using kept breaking. Meanwhile, the orcs were attacking because they were kicked out when the villagers arrived and trying to reclaim their homeland.

Eventually, the heroes managed to get the forest to retreat back, clearing more space for both the villagers and orcs (and even the forest). The nearby desert got a smaller, but no one seemed to care about that (Hmm, another adventure hook, the infux of moving trees, desert lands becoming forests).