Mending an item

Maccabe

I want to build a power that will allow me to repair things, so that they are just like brand new. EX- Torn clothes, damaged shields/weapons , cracks in the ceilings so forth.

I was wondering if this is better done as HEALING or TRANSFORM? Probably a limitation of :Only vs Inanimate Objects, or Only vs Non-living things.

Re: Mending an item

Transform is the way to go for this effect. It needs to be at the major transform level as you'll be making a major alteration to the function of the repaired object, from non-functional --> functional. You'll also want to add a limited group of results advantage otherwise you'll get the same dratted repaired mousetrap each time no matter what the original object was.

Good as New: Major Transform 1D6 Limited Group of Results +1/4 (Restores objects to an immaculate 'good as new' condition) <19 active points>

And, just to show that you can do it either way, we use healing. The catch here is that we defined "class of bodies" similar to class of minds, so that if you buy healing for objects, you can't use it on people and if you buy healing for people, you can't use it on objects. You could argue, I suppose, that healing for objects is less useful, but that has never seemed to be a problem.

cheers, Mark

And, just to show that you can do it either way, we use healing. The catch here is that we defined "class of bodies" similar to class of minds, so that if you buy healing for objects, you can't use it on people and if you buy healing for people, you can't use it on objects. You could argue, I suppose, that healing for objects is less useful, but that has never seemed to be a problem.

cheers, Mark

I want to build a power that will allow me to repair things, so that they are just like brand new. EX- Torn clothes, damaged shields/weapons , cracks in the ceilings so forth.

I was wondering if this is better done as HEALING or TRANSFORM? Probably a limitation of :Only vs Inanimate Objects, or Only vs Non-living things.

I'd allow healing so long as the object had not taken more than 2x its original Body: if it had then it is destroyed beyond healing and would require transformation or object resurrection (which is not a concept I've had to deal with before :)).

The problem with transformation is that it requires some way (and I'd suggest some way other than dropping it again) to undo the transform. You can waive this for objects of course, because they do not 'heal', but it a mechanic you might want to consider.

Also to transform something you need to overcome the power defence. Again, most objects don't have any, so not too much of a problem, but healing basically ignores power defence anyway, so may be better for some purposes.

Transform does not cap out - you can 'fix' anything, no matter how large or how much Body, given time, healing is limited tot eh amount you can roll.

All these things will inform your decision as to which way to go.

I'd allow healing so long as the object had not taken more than 2x its original Body: if it had then it is destroyed beyond healing and would require transformation or object resurrection (which is not a concept I've had to deal with before :)).

That's actually a good point and one that henceforth is an official rule in our games. If they want to restore a note from ashes, they can buy the resurrection adder.

The problem with transformation is that it requires some way (and I'd suggest some way other than dropping it again) to undo the transform. You can waive this for objects of course' date=' because they do not 'heal', but it a mechanic you might want to consider.[/quote']

I should have noted that's why we went with healing

cheers, Mark

I use minor transformation rather than major because you're not changing the item into something new, it is fundamentally the same item, just functional rather than non functional. Major transformation as I understand it is more like changing a broken piano into a starship.

And while there must be a manner to reverse the transformation, that manner can be "to break the item again" just like a curative transform can have a reversal of being "getting sick again."

I use minor transformation rather than major because you're not changing the item into something new, it is fundamentally the same item, just functional rather than non functional. Major transformation as I understand it is more like changing a broken piano into a starship.

And while there must be a manner to reverse the transformation, that manner can be "to break the item again" just like a curative transform can have a reversal of being "getting sick again."

I'd agree that a minor transfom would probably do the trick and, indeed, if you allow 'tranform fixing (transfixing?)' then you can do it very cheaply: 1 pip of minor transform (3 points) can eventually fix anything, as objects hardly ever have power defence.

However there are also system/game considerations here. Whilst using transform is in no way 'wrong', you want to think whether it is the right effect for your game: it circumvents healing and aid and pretty much everything else if you use it this way. Personally I prefer to only use Transform when I have to (which is quite a lot on these boards, but much less so in practice :))

I avoid using heal on inanimate objects out of a philosophical discomfort. Plus, the transform can turn rubble into the original object, and you'd need the resurrect option to do so with healing. Still, it would work, I just see this as a classic use of transform: changing something into something else.

I've typically done this with Transform as well. Whether it is Cosmetic or Minor depended on the extent of the repairs. A Cosmetic Transform could repair fading, scratches, possibly minor breaks and such. A Minor Transform could make broken items whole again, add DEF back to armor, etc.

A Major Transform would be necessary to completely re-build an item if it had been burned to ashes or ground into bits or whatever, but that's just about creating something from nothing anyway (and in the kind of fantasy game I'd typically use it for, there'd be other balances such as rarity of spell components/materials, the time it takes to perform the magic, etc.). I also used Major Transforms (as a requirement in addition to typically buying Independent powers using Character Points) for creating magical items.

I'd go either way; Heal or Transform.

With Heal, you could use the Resurrection adder to restore it from "broken to bits"; with Restore Limbs you could restore functions lost to damage (and this suggest modifying the Impairing and Disabling Wounds rules to have an analog for machines).

I like Transform a bit less, but it's hard to argue that you can Transform "thin air" to an object, but not a pile of bits to the same object.