Mental regen

Nerdnumber1

[idea background]

Recently, my character, Adamant, has been plagued by the mental transforms placed on him by Hummingbird, his stalker mentalist. Due to foolishly allowing her into his mind (as a sign of good faith), Adamant has had multiple suggestions placed on him that make him:

• Replace the word "Hummingbird" with "wife" reguardless of grammatical concerns.
  • Respond to conversation from wife, despite desire not too, etc.

Before this gets out of hand, I wanted to make a way arround mental transforms and similar abilities. (For more information on this story check out my "anti-hummingbird gadget" thread.)

[/background]

Task: Make a regeneration-like power that slowly gets rid of mental transformations/other related effects at reletively low point-cost.

My undeveloped idea: Major transform (current mind into mind free of foreign psionic influence), 0 end, persistent, x-time, etc.

Any help? She knows where I live and is redecorating my room. It's... too... pink.

Re: Mental regen

Not to be unkind, but.. have you considered:

Step 1. Firmly grasp upper left quadrant of character sheet in left hand.

Step 2. Firmly grasp upper right quadrant of character sheet in right hand.

Step 3. Ensure both elbows are at roughly a 90 degree angle, hands upwards in front of your chest.

Step 4. Draw left hand toward right shoulder.

Step 5. Simultaneously push right hand toward the horizon, to the right.

This is clearly a rp situation you don't enjoy. Move on.

What kind of campaign is this and who the hell is running it.

That said technically straight regen will get rid of a lot of transform type stuff. It says so in the power.

This of course depends on the SFX of the mental transform. If it alters the actual brain then healing or regen would work against it.

Now if the mental transform is bought so it can only be healed using another mental power then healing bought as regen but only to heal back mental transforms would work.

On the other hand why the hell would your character develop such a power. Does he have regen already?

Or you could just do what Comic elegantly suggests.

What kind of campaign is this and who the hell is running it.

That said technically straight regen will get rid of a lot of transform type stuff. It says so in the power.

This of course depends on the SFX of the mental transform. If it alters the actual brain then healing or regen would work against it.

Now if the mental transform is bought so it can only be healed using another mental power then healing bought as regen but only to heal back mental transforms would work.

On the other hand why the hell would your character develop such a power. Does he have regen already?

Or you could just do what Comic elegantly suggests.

I let hummingbird mind control me (she didn't believe an uncomfortable truth and I thought this was the best way to convince her), the GM (who admits that Call of Cthulhu is his favored game) took this as a blank check.

Then I would take it as a good time to find a new group. Is what Hummingbird did in character for the character?

If not then the GM needs to be slapped around a bit.

And then he needs to be tossed a few comic books. Unless you are playing in a Dark Champions type world.

Then I would take it as a good time to find a new group. Is what Hummingbird did in character for the character?

If not then the GM needs to be slapped around a bit.

And then he needs to be tossed a few comic books. Unless you are playing in a Dark Champions type world.

Dark champions? Nothing she has yet done has endangered my life, just annoyed me to no end. She has mind controled me into a vegas wedding, redecorated my room with unicorns, pictures of her, pink, etc., and generally stalked me. I have found it difficult to justify attacking her because she is a shrinking mentalist that would crumple if I used much strength and hasn't physically harmed anyone yet. Next character I make will have an alternative to brute force and a less chivalric attitude. Really, I say most of the story in my anti-hummingbird gadget thread.

And she has been erradic and obsessive, but I think that's just how my GM's version of the character is (she's in conquerers killers and crooks under grab, p86). Another villian sent e-mails, signed from me, professing love and poetry, etc. Even after I got her to realize that I didn't, she still was convinced that we were ment to be (and so on).

ooooh that Hummingbird. mkay. Yeah I get it now. I can hear Blue Beetle chortling in my head as I write this.

I'll have to look up the anti hummingbird thread.

And she must have an added power or two from what her write up is in CKC. Cause no mental Transform there. *shrugs* Well have fun with that.

... She has mind controled me into a vegas wedding' date=' redecorated my room with unicorns, pictures of her, pink, etc., and generally stalked me. I have found it difficult to justify attacking her because she is a shrinking mentalist that would crumple if I used much strength and hasn't physically harmed anyone yet. Next character I make will have an alternative to brute force and a less chivalric attitude. Really, I say most of the story in my anti-hummingbird gadget thread.[/quote']

As much as I think you're being subjected to cruel and unusual punishment with this game, I have to admit the images you lay forth regarding vegas weddings and unicorn trappings leave me in stitches. =)

As far as recovering from the transform. It depends on how it's defined I think. I believe some transforms can heal back but some can be ruled as only being reversed with another application of the power or similar power. (ie: getting the team's local mentalist to perform psychic surgery to undo what she did in the first place).

Hope this helps.

Frankly' date=' the campaign you describe has gone far past the point where I'd have told the GM to go buy himself a plastic girlfriend if he's that desperate to play humiliation games with someone.[/quote']

If my GM starts reading these boards, he'll justifiably behead me. And he plans a Call of Cthulhu game for Halloween! :eek:

Is this Mind Control or a Mental Transform?

If it's the former, say "Breakout Roll" to him, and make sure you take every chance you're allowed, which at some points may include your character's friends pointing out how crazy you gotta be.

If it's the latter, get the GM to CLEARLY DELINEATE which kind of transform it is -- insta-heal or gradual heal. If it's the latter, then every game month you get back your REC in Transformed BOD (or EGO, or whatever for a mental Transform) -- and you'll hopefully be able to move on to the legal issues in a few months. If it's a insta-heal 'snap' transform ('Prince to frog' spell), make sure YOU KNOW what the magic bullet is -- and it SHOULD be something that's reasonably possible to happen, as per the Transform rules. Then watch events like a hawk.

If your character hasn't been Transformed to LIKE all of this (and it doesn't sound like he has), I can very easily see him deliberately hunting down what needs to be done to reverse the effects. Another Mentallist, or even just a good psychologist/psychiatrist, may be able to say what'll help 'cure' the effects; these sorts of Transforms are, essentially, 'just' Strong psych lims. Use what's available.

Also, since it's pretty clear that the GM has a) taken this long past the point where it was enjoyable and B) never bothered to tell you how it could be broken, I'd request a retcon back to whatever point you could have broken it. If not, well -- I'd personally become a lot more polite during games.

Is this Mind Control or a Mental Transform?

If it's the former, say "Breakout Roll" to him, and make sure you take every chance you're allowed, which at some points may include your character's friends pointing out how crazy you gotta be.

If it's the latter, get the GM to CLEARLY DELINEATE which kind of transform it is -- insta-heal or gradual heal.

OK, as a matter of protocol, nothing in the rules provides your character with the knowledge of how the Transform is reversed, so the GM is under no obligation to provide this. I wouldn't, in a game where the Transform was used for some other purpose.

If it's the latter' date=' then every game month you get back your REC in Transformed BOD (or EGO, or whatever for a mental Transform) -- and you'll hopefully be able to move on to the legal issues in a few months. If it's a insta-heal 'snap' transform ('Prince to frog' spell), make sure YOU KNOW what the magic bullet is -- and it SHOULD be something that's reasonably possible to happen, as per the Transform rules. Then watch events like a hawk.[/quote']

Nothing wrong with your character RESEARCHING the cure for the transform, but the GM is under no obligation to reveal this just because you ask.

If your character hasn't been Transformed to LIKE all of this (and it doesn't sound like he has)' date=' I can very easily see him deliberately hunting down what needs to be done to reverse the effects. Another Mentallist, or even just a good psychologist/psychiatrist, may be able to say what'll help 'cure' the effects; these sorts of Transforms are, essentially, 'just' Strong psych lims. Use what's available.[/quote']

Can that gadgeteer whip up a "correct his mental state" device? Transform can just as easily Transform him back.

Also' date=' since it's pretty clear that the GM has a) taken this [i']long[/i] past the point where it was enjoyable and B) never bothered to tell you how it could be broken, I'd request a retcon back to whatever point you could have broken it. If not, well -- I'd personally become a lot more polite during games.

It seems pretty clear that the obvious solution of "you are making the game no fun, so I'm out - call me when you want to run a game other than "Stalkers and Mental Disorders".

OK, as a matter of protocol, nothing in the rules provides your character with the knowledge of how the Transform is reversed, so the GM is under no obligation to provide this. I wouldn't, in a game where the Transform was used for some other purpose.

Can't the details of the workings of others powers be revealed by Detective Work?

This is the power to heal yourself:

Transform, Self Only, 1d6, Major, Continuous, Always On, Persistent,

IIF, Once Per Turn: Damaged Self into Normal Self.

But, does you character have th skills to build such a device ?

Can't the details of the workings of others powers be revealed by Detective Work?

Absolutely - assuming the details are out there. If even the character with the power doesn't know how it works, how can you find out using detective work? But there should be a way to find out how it works - especially in a typical Supers world including superscientific genetic analysis, mystical divination and probably dozens of other options we lack in the real world.

But saying "GM, I want the power writeup" should get you precisely nowhere. Figure out how to get the answer in-game.