Build my Computer!

Ken Solo

How would you build a real world desk top computer for Champions?

Here are the stats of one I found after a brief Google search. Can you make Champions stats for it?

HP TouchSmart IQ804 Desktop PC

Intel® Core™2 Duo (2.16GHz) Processor

4GB installed memory

500GB hard drive

Slot-load SuperMulti DVD Burner

Touch-enabled 25.5" diagonal widescreen BrightView LCD with tilt adjustment

Wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n) with built-in WLAN antenna

Watch, pause, rewind, and record live TV with the dual-format NTSC or over-air ATSC high-definition tuner

Microsoft Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit edition with Service Pack 1

HS5ER p.459 Computers tells us a computer is written with INT, DEX and SPD. (Assuming non-AI)

How do we do perephial features, like a wireless connection? This would be HRRH, but does the computer have Powers? Or is the power bought seperatly? The OS is a Program (Though running Vista might be considered a Phys. Disad) But the reall question is how much INT and Dex does the above computer have? Anyone come up with a conversion chart yet?

Re: Build my Computer!

Extremely rough translation. . . (I'm making up numbers as I go for an example)

INT - RAM, how much can be done at once

DEX - CPU Speed

SPD - CPU Speed

Without putting any thought into a serious conversation matrix. Modern computers only (i.e. this is under a basic - and kinda true - assumption that older computers could handle a similar number of programs, only slower)

2 INT per 256MB RAM. 4GB of RAM would be about 32INT.

Call it, 1SPD per CPU. A Quad Core would have 4 SPD. 5 DEX per 500Mhz, so 2Ghz machines get about 20 DEX.

Internal HDDs are really completely SFX Based. As programs vary so massively in size.

Writable Media - is SFX and/or Eidetic Memory. Absolute Time Sense for the clock.

So, you know, just winging it really, your machine:

INT: 32

DEX: 21

SPD: 2

Eidetic Memory

Now, the biggest problem - is the suggest number of Programs Running/INT. Which is 1 Program for every 5 INT. This is a purely game design balance issue.

I only have 2GB of RAM (16 INT per my rando-formula above). Which gives me 3 Programs under the suggested rules.

I have 12 open currently. Granted, not all of them are doing anything but waiting for my attention. But several are "Executing Commands" (iTunes playing, Poser rendering, Email checking, FireFox being used) - I managed to exceed my active commands by 1.

A better method here, is to determine how much INT each program occupies when open. It's a lot of overhead but might be better to model "real world computers" in "game terms." (for example Photoshop probably takes up 3 INT, while my text editor takes up 1 INT. Microsoft Word thinks it takes 14 INT, really only gets 2.)

Anyway, HERO doesn't much do "real" computers but the system being what it is - you can assign SFX and easily manipulate it to model real world computers roughly.

You know, you can go overboard with stating everything out. IMO actually creating computer stat sheets should be reserved for super-computer/AI level systems, not a mere desktop PC. Do you stat out the TV that they watch the news bulletins on? Sometimes you can just say "mmm, yeah, 5 points for misc mundane crap in the base."

You know' date=' you can go overboard with stating everything out. IMO actually creating computer stat sheets should be reserved for super-computer/AI level systems, not a mere desktop PC. Do you stat out the TV that they watch the news bulletins on? Sometimes you can just say "mmm, yeah, 5 points for misc mundane crap in the base."[/quote']

This is sound advice. And it may be less than even 5 points of stuff. Personal Computers fall under "anyone can go out and get one" and should be free in any campaign, at least if it's just an off-the-shelf kind of computer.

I thot Steve says INT is mental quickness' date=' not memory.[/quote']

He does, but I needed a Characteristic that wasn't speed related (DEX and SPD), and I extrapolated from the idea of the optional rule that a Computer can only execute a number of programs equal to INT/5.

So for purposes of Computers - and only Computers, and only in this instance - I made INT equate to RAM. Since RAM helps determine how many programs a computer can hold in buffer at once, and work with the execution of.

Actual computations run through the CPU, at the CPUs speed, high DEX and SPD means a faster CPU.

It's not a perfect translation, and it goes a bit left of center. But it's gamable so it passes the test.

5 pts is for your PC' date=' stereo, TV, telephone, etc. All that "misc crap". But yeah, I probably wouldn't bother charging for it anyway.[/quote']

We call it the WAL-MART rule.

If you can buy it at Wal Mart, then it costs no Champs points.

Except the rifles....

Don't forget most computers have the "Zero DCV concentration,

unaware of surrounding events limitation" :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Actualy, I use the "Wal-Mart Rule" too. Common stuff is esentially free if the PC can rationalize why he has it. Usually it's as easy as "I buy it." In one adventure, the PC's did stop at a Meijer store to gear up on maps, first aids kits, flashlights, and snacks before heading off to the final confrontation.

For the computer, we were mostly looking for a guage to mesure a super computer against.

In the modern world we have computers all around us, but I really had no idea how they measure up to the aliens starship computer.

Also, I made a low budget NPC super hero team, who's Base was a donated Plantation House, and the Computer was mearly a Gateway 400E.

Thanks for the ideas!