A new hero for Christmas.....

Badger

I got this idea from the Christmas vs Cthulhu thread. Jacob Marley's ghost.

I was thinking somehow he escaped his eternal punishment (actual escape or let go for some reason) and his ghost could be a hero to make ammends for the evils of his life.

So, what would his powers & abilities be?

SOme that I have thought of.

-desolid

-flying

-using the chains as solid weapons/entanglements of some sort (thrown or using some type telekinetics)

- bringing inanimate objects to life temporarily (at least in some versions the doorknob does this when Marley comes to visit Scrooge, Some type of summon? or transform?)

-any other ideas? Would the Gentleman Ghost be a good model to base Marley on?

-any ideas for his "escape"?

Re: A new hero for Christmas.....

I got this idea from the Christmas vs Cthulhu thread. Jacob Marley's ghost.

I was thinking somehow he escaped his eternal punishment (actual escape or let go for some reason) and his ghost could be a hero to make ammends for the evils of his life.

So, what would his powers & abilities be?

SOme that I have thought of.

-desolid

-flying

-using the chains as solid weapons/entanglements of some sort (thrown or using some type telekinetics)

- bringing inanimate objects to life temporarily (at least in some versions the doorknob does this when Marley comes to visit Scrooge, Some type of summon? or transform?)

-any other ideas? Would the Gentleman Ghost be a good model to base Marley on?

-any ideas for his "escape"?

How about instead of an "escape" it is a parole for helping scrooge, then you can even have a watched in their to represent some higher power keeping an eye on him

Personally, I think those manifestations would be mental illusions. :)

True, it seems to depend on the interpretation. Thought I'd throw it out there nevertheless. Still illusions could be fun. :sneaky:

Isn't Marley acting as a messenger or agent for a higher power here? (A variant on the Silver Surfer / Galactus relationship) So his abilities are whatever he needs to get the job done, only limited by his once human imagination. He can't do things that are not in popular late 1800's ghost folklore.

So give him a small but decent power pool and throw down everything you know about ghosts; flight, desolid, telportation (all affect others), telekinesis and it force wall / entangle. Possibly a small area effect cold.

I once considered a fear-based, always-desolid character. PRE attacks are one of the few things a desolid character can do without buying a +2 advantage and pre (only for fear atks) is dirt cheap (plus you can add from normal pre and negitive comeliness (the concept had a lovecraftian appearance when it revealed its true form, which was hidden for the sake of innocent eyes)).

Isn't Marley acting as a messenger or agent for a higher power here? (A variant on the Silver Surfer / Galactus relationship) So his abilities are whatever he needs to get the job done, only limited by his once human imagination. He can't do things that are not in popular late 1800's ghost folklore.

Not quite--the impression I got was that he "arranged" for the Three Spirits to visit Scrooge, perhaps by pleading with the higher power on behalf of his friend.

As to his powers--remember that he was not the only ghost condemned to such a fate. Scrooge saw many such ghosts outside his window, heavily encumbered by money boxes and ledgers, trying--and failing--to offer aid and comfort to the living. As it says in A Christmas Carol, "They sought to interfere for good in human matters--and had lost the power to do so forever."

(Not unlike the Phantom Zone, if you think about it.)

What I'm thinking is that all the misers' ghosts find a way to channel all their power and desire to help through a single ghost--in this case, Jacob Marley. Depending on how many ghosts are contributing their power, there could be no limit to what they could accomplish through Marley.

Another way to do this is to find a living medium to channel the ghosts' power--this could be a great origin for either a hero or a villain, perhaps a legacy character whose parent/teacher was able to communicate with spirits as a Golden-Age/Pulp-Age adventurer.

Hope that helps.