Unusual limit on Strength

matrix3

I'm thinking of making a character with mystic tattoos on his forearms. They will allow him to perform various feats involving his hands and arms (EB, flight). I also want him to get extra strength, but only when using his hands. Thus, if a boulder dropped on his back or head, he would be crushed, but he could easily pick up the boulder with his hands. What would the limitation be on this extra strength? Restrainable? Or should I turn it around and make it Telekinesis, touch only, only the hands and arms?

Re: Unusual limit on Strength

I'm thinking of making a character with mystic tattoos on his forearms. They will allow him to perform various feats involving his hands and arms (EB' date=' flight). I also want him to get extra strength, but only when using his hands. Thus, if a boulder dropped on his back or head, he would be crushed, but he could easily pick up the boulder with his hands. What would the limitation be on this extra strength? Restrainable? Or should I turn it around and make it Telekinesis, touch only, only the hands and arms?[/quote']

I'd probably go with either the (-1/4) version of Restrainable or mabye Gestures for the same value.

I presume it has No Figured Characteristics and provides no extra inches of Leaping, so I'd guestimate it around -3/4 to -1.

I'd say MOST acts of STR (lifting, grabbing, crushing/breaking stuff, punching) end up being done with the hands, otherwise it might be worth more.

Considering that Hand To Hand Attack (HA) is basically Limited STR that provides no actual 'Lifting' ability I would argue that anything more than (-1/2) is overvalued as a Limitation.

Considering that Hand To Hand Attack (HA) is basically Limited STR that provides no actual 'Lifting' ability I would argue that anything more than (-1/2) is overvalued as a Limitation.

:: insert lengthy debate about figured characteristics, STR at 1:1 being too cheap and other random stuff ::

:P

Thanks for all the ideas! I like Gestures' date=' since the main reason Restrainable didn't "fit" for me was that I wanted him to be able to lift things even if his wrists were bound, and Gestures gets that gist for me. Thanks again! :)[/quote']

Actually, bound wrists would likely stop Gestures as well unless those gestures were really oddly defined.

There's really no reason to be abstract here; just state the nature of the limitation directly.

+X STR, No Figured (-1/2), Arms Only (-1/4)

Actually, bound wrists would likely stop Gestures as well unless those gestures were really oddly defined.

There's really no reason to be abstract here; just state the nature of the limitation directly.

+X STR, No Figured (-1/2), Arms Only (-1/4)

Except that "Arms Only" makes it sound like he could only arm wrestle or "rip" with his strength, or that his arms could lift things his legs couldn't support (something I would expect from cybernetic arms). When he's using his arms, with the "mystic tattoos" (or I'm thinking maybe bracers, now), his legs and back will be able to support whatever he is lifting/hitting/etc. with his arms...

I don't know why I'm spending so much energy on this. :ugly: It's not like I'm publishing this character.

Except that "Arms Only" makes it sound like he could only arm wrestle or "rip" with his strength, or that his arms could lift things his legs couldn't support (something I would expect from cybernetic arms). When he's using his arms, with the "mystic tattoos" (or I'm thinking maybe bracers, now), his legs and back will be able to support whatever he is lifting/hitting/etc. with his arms...

I don't know why I'm spending so much energy on this. :ugly: It's not like I'm publishing this character.

I guess I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you and the GM (or you and yourself if you are the GM) agree on the limitation, and what it means, everything else is just semantics, right?

I guess I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you and the GM (or you and yourself if you are the GM) agree on the limitation' date=' and what it means, everything else is just semantics, right?[/quote']

You know, sometimes throwing ideas out there to be chewed over by the crowd is useful. I'm really glad for example that I posted the question about "Limited SPD" recently - you get new perspectives, get asked good questions, and can refine your ideas.

And I think Killer Shrike is right, but talk it over with whoever is running the game.

Lucius Alexander

Running a palindromedary

You know, sometimes throwing ideas out there to be chewed over by the crowd is useful. I'm really glad for example that I posted the question about "Limited SPD" recently - you get new perspectives, get asked good questions, and can refine your ideas.

And I think Killer Shrike is right, but talk it over with whoever is running the game.

Lucius Alexander

Running a palindromedary

That's the main reason, just to tap the creativity here to see if there is a different angle on what I want to do. Sometimes, I get an idea turning over in my head for a while, and start thinking about a build a certain way, then I can't break out of that mindset when I go to write out a character. Throwing up a question here gets some fresh eyes and clear heads, and there can be some really cool builds floating around out there!