Interview that Corpse!

VorpalAuroch

Re: Interview that Corpse!

I want to make a character who can read the final thoughts of dead people

How would I do this? My best guess is a combination of the Retrocognition form of Clairsentience and Receive-only Telepathy, but I'm not sure where to go from there.

I'd say that the thought reading would just be a special effect of the Retrocognition. Otherwise you're looking at ECV rolls and telepathy dice vs a dead body. Limitation would be 'Requires corpse and limited by (its) final memories'.

IIRC, there's a "True Necromancy" spell in one of the FHGs. I think it's defined as Retrocognition. Also, you could consider Summon -- ghost/spirit of the recently dead (which was also traditional form of necromancy). It would be specific person (the ghost of the corpse you have on hand), and possible Slavish in attitude, as it will answer your question (which is "what were your last thoughts"). After that, it's gone.

I'd say that the thought reading would just be a special effect of the Retrocognition. Otherwise you're looking at ECV rolls and telepathy dice vs a dead body. Limitation would be 'Requires corpse and limited by (its) final memories'.

Retrocognition alone would work for what did you last see, but what were your last thoughts seems like a different effect.

Retrocognition is merely clairsentience sent through time rather than space; instead of looking over there, you look back then. It will only reveal what the sense you bought the clairsentience for would normally, so if you buy retrocognition sight, you see the past. If you bought it with smell, you'd smell the past. You'd need the mental sense group to know the thoughts of the past, and a limitation that puts it only to the thoughts of the given target.

[music]A corpse is a corpse of course of course

And you cannot talk to a corpse of course

But I can talk to a corpse of course

'Cause I've got Speak with Dead![/music]

I like the idea of Summoning the spirit of the deceased, with such spirit having only one ability - Mental Illusions only to show the summoner the last moments before the spirit's death.

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is from my Transhuman Hero character:

Recover Surface Fragments: Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight And Hearing Groups) (50 Active Points); OAF (Must be at least radio-linked to an HyMRI; -1), Limited Power Power Only Works On Dead Intelligences (-1), Only Through The Senses Of Others: Victim (-1/2), Time Modifiers (-1 "range modifier" per hour after death; -1/2), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense affected as Radio Group as well as Sight and Hearing (-1/4), Requires An INT Roll,PS:Nanosurgery (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; -1/4)

Thanks, everyone. I used several different suggestions to make this:

Speak for the Dead: Clairsentience (Mental Sense Group, no range), Retrocognition (35 Base Points), No END (+1/2) (52 Active Points), One Sense Only (Telepathy) (-1/4), Retrocognition Only (-1), Time Modifier (-1 "range modifier" per hour after death; -1/2) OIF (corpse) (-1/2), Difficult to obtain new focus (-1/4) (15 Real Points)

Here it is from my Transhuman Hero character:

Recover Surface Fragments: Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight And Hearing Groups) (50 Active Points); OAF (Must be at least radio-linked to an HyMRI; -1), Limited Power Power Only Works On Dead Intelligences (-1), Only Through The Senses Of Others: Victim (-1/2), Time Modifiers (-1 "range modifier" per hour after death; -1/2), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense affected as Radio Group as well as Sight and Hearing (-1/4), Requires An INT Roll,PS:Nanosurgery (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; -1/4)

What is a "HyMRI"?