Comment on this character

Mr. Gridlock

This is my Super Shield character (Captain America clone). He's a work in progress. Constructive comments appreciated.

Valiant

Val Char Points Total Roll Notes

20 STR 10 20 13- HTH Damage 4d6 END [2]

27 DEX 51 27 14- OCV 9 DCV 9

20 CON 20 20 13-

14 BODY 8 14 12-

15 INT 5 15 12- PER Roll 13-

15 EGO 10 15 12- ECV: 5

20 PRE 10 20 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

16 COM 3 16 12-

10 PD 6 10/26 10/26 PD (0/16 rPD)

10 ED 6 10/26 10/26 ED (0/16 rED)

6 SPD 23 6 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

10 REC 4 10

40 END 0 40

34 STUN 0 34

6" Running 0 9"

2" Swimming 0 2"

4" Leaping 0 6" Total Characteristics Cost: 156

Cost Powers END

27 The Shield: Multipower, 40-point reserve, (40 Active Points); all slots OIF Unbreakable (-1/2)

2u

1) Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Adjacent Hex (+1/2) (30 Active Points); OIF Unbreakable (-1/2)

1u

2) Shield Bash: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), OIF Unbreakable (-1/2)

1u

3) Thrown Shield: Energy Blast 8d6 (40 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OIF Unbreakable (-1/2)

[1 rc]

2u

4) Armor (13 PD/13 ED) (39 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (-1/2), OIF Unbreakable (-1/2)

6 Running +3" (9" total) 1

1 Leaping +2" (6" forward, 3" upward) (2 Active Points); Requires An Acrobatics Roll (-1/2) 1

3 +1 PER with all Sense Groups 0

Freeform Fighting

1) Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

2) Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 40 STR to Disarm

3) Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 45 STR vs. Grabs

4) Evade: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

5) Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 7d6 Strike, Target Falls

6) Nerve Strike: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, 3d6 NND

7) Punch / Elbow Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 8d6 Strike

8) Side / Roundhouse Kick: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 10d6 Strike

2 Weapon Element: Default Element (Empty Hand), Off Hand, Shield

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

Perks

1 Money: Well Off

1 Fringe Benefit: License to practice law

2 Reputation: Upstanding Hero (A medium-sized group) 11-, +2/+2d6

Talents

17 Danger Sense (self only, out of combat, Function as a Sense, Intuitional) 13-/12-

6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

Skills

4 +2 with Block

6 +2 with Martial Maneuvers

4 +2 with Thrown Shield

8 +4 with Missile Deflection

3 Acrobatics 14-

3 Breakfall 14-

3 Bureaucratics 13-

3 Climbing 14-

3 Concealment 12-

3 Conversation 13-

3 Criminology 12-

3 Deduction 12-

3 Interrogation 13-

3 KS: Criminal Law and Procedure 12-

3 KS: Police Procedure 12-

5 PS: Prosecuting Attorney 14-

4 Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Sweep with Martial Arts

3 Persuasion 13-

5 Rapid Attack (HTH)

3 Shadowing 12-

3 Stealth 14-

3 Streetwise 13-

Total Powers & Skills Cost: 193

Total Cost: 349

Re: Comment on this character

When asked, I go through these characters as if I were the GM. I'm not your GM, so if anything I say offends you, it wasn't meant to, and just ignore me.

That said, this is what I would say:

You're DEX is at a weird spot. You could drop it to 26 get the same CV and skill roll and save 2 points (3 -1 for the increase in the cost of SPD)

CON is sort of low (I'd recommend a 23) and BODY is sort of high for a supers campaign.

Again INT is weird. 13 INT nets you the same thing.

EGO is also in a weird spot. Go with 14 and save 2 points. Or, if you REALLY wanted that extra point of Mental Defense, go with 14 and buy one point of the power Mental Defense. You'd save 1 point and actually be better off.

STUN seems a bit low.

In your multipower both Armor and Missile deflection require GM's permission. I would require you to make both Cost END.

You Energy Blast is bought as 1 Recoverable Charge. The way you have it now, you could use your EB (throw your shield) not recover your charge and still use the rest of the Multipower. There should be some sort of limit on the Multipower that it's locked out until the charge is recovered. Personally I think you're getting way too many points for the limitation your actually applying. I don't have my book with me, so I'd have to look up Recoverable Charges, but I don't think you're supposed to be able to recover them DURING the fight. That just seems way too abusive. I'd go with a custom limitation Requires a DEX roll or the multipower burns out until Shield is recovered maybe a -1/2.

I would also recommend making the Focus OAF. Cap gets his shiled grabed enough for this to make sense. Also it will make recovering the shield a lot easier if you fail your DEX roll.

Your Martial Arts looks good, I'd probably take out the Nerve Punch to pay for more STUN, you'll probably never use it anyway (how many 30 Active Point attack powers do you really use in a 350pt game?) but that's personal preference.

I'd get rid of all those skill leves and buy +2 Overall Levels. Or add 2 points and go with +4 w/Ranged and HtH for 24 points (essentially 8pt CSL's minus the EGO Combat for 6pts a piece).

I'd also get rid of the Danger Sense and go with Defense Maneuver.

Other than that he looks good :P

I've seen this sort of power build before and, mind you this is just my opinion, it always bugs me when something that is defined as a shield works as armor against things like area effect attacks.

In general, it's a tricky character to make work. Without using the shield offensively, the character is punchless, while using the shield as a weapon, the character is defenseless. Not a character for a novice player.

I see:

26 points devoted to various levels.

10-20 extra points devoted to SPD (this depends a lot on the campaign the character will be used in of course).

I would recommend using those points instead to:

buy 1 or 2 Overall Skill Levels* and 2 CSL's with Martial Arts.

Any leftover points could then be 'shield' specific (including a ranged 'Shield Throwing' Martial Art similar to what I did for Batman and his Batarangs).

*These can literally be used for anything (like improving DEX rolls for using the shield or Dive For Cover, unlike CSL's).

I've seen this sort of power build before and' date=' mind you this is just my opinion, it always bugs me when something that is defined as a shield works as armor against things like area effect attacks.[/quote']

You see it on the iconic version of this guy all the time though; Cap ducks down, explosion washes over him; Falls into a spike trap, lands shield down; etc

In general' date=' it's a tricky character to make work. Without using the shield offensively, the character is punchless, while using the shield as a weapon, the character is defenseless. Not a character for a novice player.[/quote']

This is generally why I go for the Multi slots, At a glance I would likely make the shield an OAF, increase the pool size and convert the slots from Ultra. It makes it both a more beginner and experienced player friendly build.

You're DEX is at a weird spot. You could drop it to 26 get the same CV and skill roll and save 2 points (3 -1 for the increase in the cost of SPD)

Again INT is weird. 13 INT nets you the same thing.

EGO is also in a weird spot. Go with 14 and save 2 points. Or, if you REALLY wanted that extra point of Mental Defense, go with 14 and buy one point of the power Mental Defense. You'd save 1 point and actually be better off.

These were some of the first things I spotted as well; I always feel just a bit power-gamery commenting on them but from a point use POV they're valid.

My quick functionality scan (Attack/Defense/Movement)

Attack: 8D6-14D6, 10d6 w/o sacrificing defense: Good

Defense: 9DCV 13/3rPdEd w/o the focus. Missile Deflection or Increased Armor w/ focus: OK if your careful (This is really campaign dependent)

Movement: 9" Running: You might consider increasing this. A lot of fights might be over before you can bring your Martial Arts into play and if you throw the shield you're easy pickins for an alert Energy Projector.

Thanks for all your input. Here's the updated version. I'm sticking with an OIF because I feel since he's supposed to be good with his shield, an OAF would leave him too vulnerable to Grab's or it being targeted by a ranged attacked.

I removed the 1 Recoverable Charge (since the idea was just to eliminate the END cost).

I got rid of Danger Sense and went full Defense Maneuver.

I bought single level of DCV with the OIF Limitation to reflect that he can always seemingly move the shield around making himself harder to hit. With EP I can bump that up so it's more of a passive protection. Still does nothing if he's targeted by an AoE, but then there's always diving for cover.

I dropped his DEX a point and bought Lightning Reflexes. I think it would be best if he could go first. I bumped his INT to 18 and dropped his EGO to 14 and bought Mental Defense.

With a Shield punch he can generate 12d6, which I think is decent. He could take out 3 agents per phase Sweeping, or hit multiple targets at range with Rapid Fire and his thrown shield. Granted, it's only 8d6 at range, but I see him excelling at fighting multiple agents rather than taking on the big bad.

I did buy the Overall levels, something I've never bought before, always feeling they were so expensive, but since I had decided to make this guy very skilled, it seemed like the best way to go.

Again, thanks, and I think I'll do this again. Without input, I just get so stuck in my own little world.

Valiant

Val Char Points Total Roll Notes

20 STR 10 20 13- HTH Damage 4d6 END [2]

26 DEX 48 26 14- OCV 9 DCV 9

23 CON 26 23 14-

12 BODY 4 12 11-

18 INT 8 18 13- PER Roll 13-

14 EGO 8 14 12- ECV: 5

20 PRE 10 20 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

16 COM 3 16 12-

10 PD 6 10/26 10/26 PD (0/16 rPD)

10 ED 5 10/26 10/26 ED (0/16 rED)

6 SPD 24 6 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

10 REC 2 10

46 END 0 46

37 STUN 3 37

6" Running 0 9"

2" Swimming 0 2"

4" Leaping 0 6" Total Characteristics Cost: 157

Cost Powers END

27 The Shield: Multipower, 40-point reserve, (40 Active Points); all slots OIF Unbreakable (-1/2)

1u

1) Shield Bash: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), OIF Unbreakable (-1/2)

3u

2) Thrown Shield: Energy Blast 8d6 (40 Active Points); OIF Unbreakable (-1/2)

2u

3) Armor (13 PD/13 ED) (39 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (-1/2), OIF Unbreakable (-1/2)

2u

4) Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Adjacent Hex (+1/2) (30 Active Points); OIF Unbreakable (-1/2)

3 +1 with DCV (5 Active Points); OIF Unbreakable (The Shield; -1/2)

2 Strong Willed: Mental Defense (6 points total) (3 Active Points); Nonpersistent (-1/4) 0

1 Leaping +2" (6" forward, 3" upward) (2 Active Points); Requires An Acrobatics Roll (-1/2) 1

6 Running +3" (9" total) 1

Freeform Fighting

1) Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

2) Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 40 STR to Disarm

3) Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 45 STR vs. Grabs

4) Evade: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

5) Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 7d6 Strike, Target Falls

6) Punch / Elbow Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 8d6 Strike

7) Side / Roundhouse Kick: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 10d6 Strike

2 Weapon Element: Default Element (Empty Hand), Off Hand, Shield

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

Perks

1 Money: Well Off

1 Fringe Benefit: License to practice law

2 Reputation: Upstanding Hero (A medium-sized group) 11-, +2/+2d6

Talents

6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

3 Lightning Reflexes: +2 DEX to act first with All Actions

Skills

20 +2 Overall

6 +2 with Martial Maneuvers

3 Acrobatics 14-

3 Breakfall 14-

3 Bureaucratics 13-

3 Climbing 14-

3 Concealment 13-

3 Conversation 13-

3 Criminology 13-

3 Deduction 13-

10 Defense Maneuver I-IV

3 Interrogation 13-

3 KS: Criminal Law and Procedure 13-

3 KS: Police Procedure 13-

5 PS: Prosecuting Attorney 15-

4 Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Sweep with Martial Arts

3 Persuasion 13-

5 Rapid Attack (HTH)

3 Shadowing 13-

3 Stealth 14-

3 Streetwise 13-

Total Powers & Skills Cost: 193

Total Cost: 350

Here's a more complicated version of Cap's shield on close to the same real points. Not all the slots are necessary to begin with (some could be bought later with XP).

27 The Shield - by Whammo!: Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); all slots OIF Unbreakable (Inaccessable Arm Straps; -1/2), Requires A DEX Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4)

Notes: Lockout on Frisbee and Ranged Deflect only comes into play if those actions fail (miss) or the shield is actively attacked (or deflected) itself.

2u 1) Frisbee Throw: Energy Blast 8d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Lockout (-1/2), Limited Range (Based On STR; -1/4)

2u 2) Shield Bash: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Armor Piercing (x2; +1) (60 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

3u 3) Edge Bash: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Armor Piercing (x2; +1) (60 Active Points)

2u 4) Deflect: (Total: 58 Active Cost, 22 Real Cost) Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Hardened (+1/4) (25 Active Points) (Real Cost: 11) plus Usable At Full Range - Custom Power (25 Active Points); Lockout (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4) (Real Cost: 14) plus +2 OCV with any two categories of combat (8 Active Points) (Real Cost: 3)

Notes: 2 CSL's can be used towards Missile Deflection or Block.

2u 5) Standard Defense: Armor (16 PD/16 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (60 Active Points); Limited Coverage [61-180] Degrees (-1/2), Nonpersistent (-1/4)

2u 6) Full Defense (Including Others): Force Wall (12 PD/12 ED) (60 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Limited Coverage [61-180] Degrees (-1/2), Restricted Shape (-1/4) 6

Notes: Acts as 12" Knockback Resistance

I also wouldn't base any of his 5 point CSL's with DCV on the Shield. The 2 extra points saved aren't worth it.

Here's a more complicated version of Cap's shield on close to the same real points. Not all the slots are necessary to begin with (some could be bought later with XP).

27 The Shield - by Whammo!: Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); all slots OIF Unbreakable (Inaccessable Arm Straps; -1/2), Requires A DEX Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4)

Notes: Lockout on Frisbee and Ranged Deflect only comes into play if those actions fail (miss) or the shield is actively attacked (or deflected) itself.

2u 1) Frisbee Throw: Energy Blast 8d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Lockout (-1/2), Limited Range (Based On STR; -1/4)

2u 2) Shield Bash: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Armor Piercing (x2; +1) (60 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

3u 3) Edge Bash: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Armor Piercing (x2; +1) (60 Active Points)

2u 4) Deflect: (Total: 58 Active Cost, 22 Real Cost) Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Hardened (+1/4) (25 Active Points) (Real Cost: 11) plus Usable At Full Range - Custom Power (25 Active Points); Lockout (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4) (Real Cost: 14) plus +2 OCV with any two categories of combat (8 Active Points) (Real Cost: 3)

Notes: 2 CSL's can be used towards Missile Deflection or Block.

2u 5) Standard Defense: Armor (16 PD/16 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (60 Active Points); Limited Coverage [61-180] Degrees (-1/2), Nonpersistent (-1/4)

2u 6) Full Defense (Including Others): Force Wall (12 PD/12 ED) (60 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Limited Coverage [61-180] Degrees (-1/2), Restricted Shape (-1/4) 6

Notes: Acts as 12" Knockback Resistance

I also wouldn't base any of his 5 point CSL's with DCV on the Shield. The 2 extra points saved aren't worth it.

Hyper-Man, why is the Deflect (Missile Deflection) bought with the Hardened Advantage? As Missile Deflection/Reflection is based on a Block, there's no reason to have it hardened as far as I know.

Hyper-Man' date=' why is the [b']Deflect[/b] (Missile Deflection) bought with the Hardened Advantage? As Missile Deflection/Reflection is based on a Block, there's no reason to have it hardened as far as I know.

To ensure that it can be used to stop attacks like this:

from The Ultimate Brick ■ Chapter One page 51

BARRIER PENETRATION

Effect: Indirect (+¼) for up to 60 STR

Target/Area Affected: One character

Duration: Instant

Range: Touch

END Cost: 1

Brick Tricks Roll Penalty: -1

Description: The character is so strong that he can punch his fist through a wall, Force Wall, or other barrier, creating a hole just small enough for him to reach through and hit or Grab a target without collapsing the barrier.

and from page 132 The Ultimate Martial Artist

INDIRECT

When placed on Martial Maneuvers or other HAs, this Advantage has an extremely powerful effect — it prevents the attack from being Blocked (unless the defender has bought the Advantage Hardened for his Block maneuver). Particularly when combined with the Area Of Effect (One Hex) Advantage, which prevents an attack from being dodged, this Advantage may create an attack which unbalances the campaign; GMs should be cautious about allowing its use.

Thinking about it some more I might change these 2 slots a little more:

2u 2) Edge Bash: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Armor Piercing (x2; +1) (60 Active Points); Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2)

This was something Cap considered using against Wolverine to break his neck in one of their first fights.

2u 3) Shield Bash: (Total: 60 Active Cost, 22 Real Cost) Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Penetrating (+1/2) (50 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 18) plus +2 with HTH Combat (10 Active Points) (Real Cost: 4)

edit - damage adding notes were incorrect.

Thinking about it some more I might change these 2 slots a little more:

2u 2) Edge Bash: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Armor Piercing (x2; +1) (60 Active Points); Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2)

Worked at range on at least one occasion, when he took Red Skull's arm off.

I have a question: is buying Lockout legitimate when you're already using all of the reserve in one of the slots?

In Hyper-Man's Whammo Shield, the Frisbee throw uses all 60 points of the 60 point reserve. Doesn't this already "Lockout" the rest of the slots?

I thought Lockout would be used if you could still use another slot, e.g.

100 point reserve. 60 point EB slot, 40 point Armor slot. You could use both since you have enough in the reserve.

But if you bought the EB with Lockout, then you couldn't use the Armor slot.

Worked at range on at least one occasion' date=' when he took Red Skull's arm off.[/quote']

I'd make that another slot.

2u 7) Frisbee Slice: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Armor Piercing (x2; +1) (60 Active Points); Lockout (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4)

Note that Ranged Based On STR means the character still spends END using STR when throwing the shield.

I have a question: is buying Lockout legitimate when you're already using all of the reserve in one of the slots?

In Hyper-Man's Whammo Shield, the Frisbee throw uses all 60 points of the 60 point reserve. Doesn't this already "Lockout" the rest of the slots?

I thought Lockout would be used if you could still use another slot, e.g.

100 point reserve. 60 point EB slot, 40 point Armor slot. You could use both since you have enough in the reserve.

But if you bought the EB with Lockout, then you couldn't use the Armor slot.

I'm using the Lockout Limitation to represent a 'recoverable charge' like effect for all of the throw based slots. This is for flavor more than anything since the Limitation is only being applied to the slot costs (not the reserve). The idea being that if Cap or whomever is using the shield 'hits' their target (be it deflection at range, EB or RKA) the shield automatically bounces back (if they make their DEX roll). If they 'miss' their target or the shield is itself deflected or grabbed then the multipower is locked out until the shield is recovered.

Really you could play the "what if" game all day with any power creation. Eventually it comes down to GM's call and dramatic common sense.

Alternately, you start with a build that maps more closely to the S/FX. The build allows the full use of the shield while entangled, blind or pinned to the ground, none of which makes a lick of sense.

Alternately' date=' you start with a build that maps more closely to the S/FX. The build allows the full use of the shield while entangled, blind or pinned to the ground, none of which makes a lick of sense.[/quote']

Just to clarify, which 'build' are you referring to?

Alternately' date=' you start with a build that maps more closely to the S/FX. The build allows the full use of the shield while entangled, blind or pinned to the ground, none of which makes a lick of sense.[/quote']

Then make it restrainable and problem solved without it being disarmed so easily.