Help with character concept

Fry Daddy

I have a player who wants to create a character that is in a wheelchair in her secret identity and activates nanotechnology to walk in her superhero id (i.e. her powers are enhanced CHA in the "suit").

What would be the best way to build that?

She would still retain all her secret id skills, etc. when in costume.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Blue

How about buying the character's inches of movement down to 0. Then Buy them back with a "Only in Hero ID" limitation.

Sounds good to me. I was going to suggest a Physical Limitation, with the Frequency adjusted to reflect how often she is in her Secret ID and the Severity adjusted based on how easy it is to switch to Hero ID to get around it. (For example, if she's working in the lab late one night and needs something on a high shelf, can she switch to Hero ID, grab it, and switch back?)

I'd give her the physical limitation "Can't walk in Civillian ID, Infreq, Fully Impairing. Maybe also add in Blue's suggestion of selling back her running and then buying it again with "only in hero ID."

The disad is only Infrequent because she's not likely to be stuck in her civillian ID that often in most campaigns.

Originally posted by Pteryx

Wheelchair: Running, Only On Appropriate Terrain, OIF Bulky.

Since everything else pertinent seems to have already been said. ;) -- Pteryx, stating the obvious

Let's call that a total of +1.5 limitations. Can you come up with another 1.5 in hero ID to get a Cariable Limitation +3/4 on Running regardless of form? You've already got OIHID.

And why does everyone assume you sell back ALL your running? Can't the character crawl along if the wheelchair isn't there (1" with no NCM)?

Funny, I was working on a paraplegic hero myself. I found that it was tricky to come up with a one that wouldn't be a complete liability in combat; a PC should always at least be able to handle a thug or an agent if it comes to that. One should expect to be stuck in normal form at least some of the time when danger threatens, especially if one has a secret ID. In my case it was tricky because of my character's powers, the rationale I had chosen for them, and the need to make sure the character is not unbalanced. I tried a couple of possible tacks and eventually came up with one that I think will suit. Unfortunately, it's not exactly charting new territory.

Now, a paraplegic villain is much easier to work around, since you don't have to care if they are a wet noodle when caught off-guard if you don't want to.

Is there any way to disable or neutralize the nanites? If yes, the above suggestions all look good. If not, the fact that this character is crippled but can walk at will if the nanites are activated is not much of a limitation, but more like a special effect or plot gimmick. I wouldn't give the character ANY points for this unless there was a way to keep her from using the nanites.

It would seem natural that a character with nanotechnology would be susceptible to mental attacks as multiple classes of minds. A cyberkinetic would be able to manipulate the nanites, even shut them down and cause the character to fall out of heroic identity, right?

Cat

Originally posted by Klytus

Is there any way to disable or neutralize the nanites? If yes, the above suggestions all look good. If not, the fact that this character is crippled but can walk at will if the nanites are activated is not much of a limitation, but more like a special effect or plot gimmick. I wouldn't give the character ANY points for this unless there was a way to keep her from using the nanites.