HPA In The Works: The Great White Hunter's Bestiary

Steve Long

Re: HPA In The Works: The Great White Hunter's Bestiary

I know you aren't looking for a lot of "prehistoric survivors' date='" but perhaps you might consider the Phorusrhacos. I consider being chased by a flock of, essentially, giant carnivorous ostriches to be one of the cooler experiences in adventure gaming. :cool: I've also always wondered how to build that meathook-claw/wing sweep attack of theirs in HERO.

Note that while some of the Phorusrhacidae species were probably fast runners, some of the more massive species, like the Brontornis, were likelier to have been ambush predators; so you can have varied encounters depending on the species.

Yes, we wants some South American Terror Birds, we does.

Good idea, LL.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Five Game.

Basically, the most dangerous game, General Zaroff's preference notwithstanding.

Kinda surprising to see that three of them are herbivores, considering the rep that carnivores usually have. And I wonder why I didn't see the hippo or the crocodile on that list, consideirng the amount of damage they're both supposed to do in Africa on a yearly basis.

For something a little different, what about the Beast of Gevaudan? Hey, why not a European adventure for the GWH?

More seriously, if you wanted to use the wildest legends (but stayed within reality otherwise) for the Beast, how would you write it up?

Well, I've already got a Man-Eating Wolf in the GWHB. ;) Beyond that, assuming we're drawing on The Brotherhood Of The Wolf for inspiration, I'd perhaps make it a smidge larger and slap some Armor on there for the metal plating, and voila. There may be other specifics, but it's been years since I saw the movie (actually wanted to watch it t'other day, only to discover whoever I loaned it to never brought it back, so time to get a new copy).

Guest Admiral C

For something a little different' date=' what about the Beast of Gevaudan? [/quote']

Is he still listed in Guiness under most dangerous animal attacks? Last time I saw he was number 2, under Queen Sheba (?), a tiger who had 400+ kills.

Hey' date=' why not a European adventure for the GWH? [/quote']

An adventure in the Blackwoods or the highlands or moors of Northern Europe? That sounds pretty good. Even across the frozen fjords of Norway.

I remember one of the Howling movies talking about werewolves in the Siberian wilderness. A good place for a dire wolf or.....it's not the beardog but similar. I can't remember the name of it but it's a bear nine foot tall at the shoulder.

Guest Admiral C

The last known Tasmanian Tiger (Thylacine) specimen died in the Hobart zoo in 1936. That is usually given as when the species became extinct. However' date=' there have been reported sightings of wildly varyiing reliability up to the present day. Interestingly, very few of these sightings have been in Tasmania - most have been on mainland Australia, where it supposedly became extinct thousands of years ago (about the time that the Dingo was introduced). [/quote']

Ok, I wasn't sure about the dates. Though I guess I could have Googled them. I only remember the B&W silent footage of one in an enclosure. Though i might not have been silent.

Ah! Here it is.

Not quite what I remember but I'm sure there is more footage.

Kinda surprising to see that three of them are herbivores' date=' considering the rep that carnivores usually have. And I wonder why I didn't see the hippo or the crocodile on that list, consideirng the amount of damage they're both supposed to do in Africa on a yearly basis.[/quote']

I think it has mostly to do with the difficulty in hunting them. Crocs and hippos are extremely deadly, but a cautious hunter (i.e. one who stays out of the water) can wait or lay bait for them and take them out on more favorable terms.

Elephants and rhinos can be cagey animals, and are very defensive/territorial. And if the stories and accounts are true, the Cape buffalo's behaviour and habitat make it very dangerous. They have been known to flee hunters, then circle back on a flank to wait in ambush.

Is he still listed in Guiness under most dangerous animal attacks? Last time I saw he was number 2' date=' under Queen Sheba (?), a tiger who had 400+ kills.[/quote']

Sounds like the Champawat Tigress to me, though even she couldn't touch the man-eating leopard of Rudraprayag for sheer terror.

I remember one of the Howling movies talking about werewolves in the Siberian wilderness. A good place for a dire wolf or.....it's not the beardog but similar. I can't remember the name of it but it's a bear nine foot tall at the shoulder.

I think you're talking about Bergman's Bear, AKA 'the Siberian God-Bear'.

Guest Admiral C

I think you're talking about Bergman's Bear' date=' AKA 'the Siberian God-Bear'.[/quote']

They must have lifted it for one of the Howling movies then. I remember a comically over sized werewolf head eating a Russian solider. The movie wasn't set there as I recall, just the opening.

Woot!

I have finished writing the GWHB. Now it will just have to wait until my right arm's got the mobility and strength for lots of mousing so I can lay it out. ;)

Aw, and here I was just about to suggest hunting a venomous mammal... in the hope that you might miss the unfortunate scale of the thing :D

Why doesn't nature make these things eight feet tall any more?

I'm quite content that most of the really big' date=' nasty things went extinct before my ancestors came down from the trees, thank you very much. :P[/quote']

In many cases, it was your ancestors coming down from the trees that make really big nasty things go extinct.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary laments that some big nasty things are still common. Homo Sapiens for instance are still the most dangerous game...

In homages if you really needed some filler you could have an homage to the wood beast from Flash Gordon. I could easily use this in any number of primitive societies. Whether or not Princess Clara administers the test or not is optional.

I think you mean Princess Aura......

princessAura2.jpg

:) :) :)