Mystic Hero in development

JmOz

So I am working on my Project 275 again. Basicaly I want to create a 275 point hero for every archtype presented in the Champions book, the character will need to buy his everyman skills (Making them basicaly a 250 point character). The character should be able to to some extent cross between what I consider Dark Champions (What would now be called Hudson City Powers style) and Champions game (Bronze age, low power)

So for right now I am working on the Mystic Arch type, and I am slightly stumped on ideas

A few I have come up with and have not completly gotten rid of is a demon possessed hero (Think Ghost Rider or The Demon)

A Occult Investigator who can cast some spells and has some mystic devices (A Hellfire Gun, a magic sword that dispells magic)...think Dr. Occult or John Constantine

a classic super mage (Don't feel this one fits the DC angle). Dr Fate, Dr Strange

An Illuisonist/classic Super Mage, kind of a refinement of the last idea but more focused

None of these are quite right for me, so any ideas, or help with refining the others?

So any ideas?

Re: Mystic Hero in development

Since you are looking to go for the Mystic archetype a low powered Doctor Strange or John Constantine really seem to fit the bill. Constantine more so for the Bronze Age/Dark Champions feel. What I would advise is instead of worrying about specific characters but what defines a Mystic for you.

Maybe take a step back and think about what abilities define the mystic in your mind then work on an origin that ties the concepts together. If you are working within a setting you've already developed I would go back over other characters you've designed for Project 275 and see what the personalities that are already present are like and what kind of a mystic would best add depth to their story.

a classic super mage (Don't feel this one fits the DC angle). Dr Fate' date=' Dr Strange[/quote']

Zatanna? Zatara? Stage Magician that fights crime with their real magical abilities. Not all such crimes are supernatural in nature.

The Phantom Stranger. No, really. This guy turns up when somebody's soul is in the balance, and the Forces of Bad are actively trying to push them over the edge. The "somebody" in question is as likely or not some kid who has fallen into bad company, an ex-con trying to go straight, or whatever. The character can have any powers you feel like - danger sense, "invulnerability", teleport, spells, whatever.

The Spectre. Deadman. Obviously power levels can vary. This could be a bit expensive, though, since the character would probably need both basic ghost abilities and some others.

my own character, Doctor Destiny, now re-imagined for the forthcoming Champions Online, started out over two decades ago in my own campaign, and whilst the name was blatantly a cross between Doctors Fate and Strange, the character himseld was a kind of daredevil but with magic. not so much in the acrobatic way, but rather in the type of crime he went after. what he really was tho', was great fun to play.

if anyone's interested, a 30+ page comic strip i did as a style test can be found here: http://drdestiny.deviantart.com/gallery/#Doctor-Destiny

What about a mage sort of like Desden? Sort of like a Constantine but with more overt magic. Still wears the trench coat fedora and smokes.

I like the Ghost Rider idea personally. One of my favorite characters I never got a chance to play was an Indiana Jones type that went into the wrong temple and was possessed by a demon. His Demon form was an agile brick. Strong, but instead of really high defenses, he had a high DCV.

Demons are overused (much like werewolves and vampires). Maybe take one of the lesser-used magical beings from folklore or mythology? A dryad' date=' nuckelavee, siren, gorgon?[/quote']

Oh yeah I can imagine that conversation:

Panicked Man: Please, please you have to help me it's terrible.. HELP ME?

Helpful Man: What is it man, what's happened to you?? Tell me!

Panicked Man: I've been... I've been... It's too horrible I can't say it.

Helpful Man: Pull yourself together man, what's happened?

Panicked Man: I've been possessed! Possessed by a... a... DRYAD!

Helpful Man: ... Pass the beer nuts.

:D

Hey, dryads can be tough and iron-agey. Forests are scary places. Nasty wooden-clawed beasties leaping from out of trees, choking vines and branches ensnaring the unwary, vicious poison spore attacks...

Now that I think of it, I'm increasingly liking the idea of a dryad or satyr who has taken/been forced into human form and is now working as a private investigator.

Demons are overused (much like werewolves and vampires). Maybe take one of the lesser-used magical beings from folklore or mythology? A dryad' date=' nuckelavee, siren, gorgon?[/quote']

A Gargoyle maybe (I liked the old cartoon)

Since you are looking to go for the Mystic archetype a low powered Doctor Strange or John Constantine really seem to fit the bill. Constantine more so for the Bronze Age/Dark Champions feel. What I would advise is instead of worrying about specific characters but what defines a Mystic for you.

Maybe take a step back and think about what abilities define the mystic in your mind then work on an origin that ties the concepts together. If you are working within a setting you've already developed I would go back over other characters you've designed for Project 275 and see what the personalities that are already present are like and what kind of a mystic would best add depth to their story.

For me a key element of the mystic is that they have knowledge the rest of us don't have, that at the end of the day they are the protectors of mankind from that which he should not know about. It is why Captain Marvel (SHAZAM) is not IMO a Mystical hero, while his powers are magical and he deals with magical foes, they don't strike me as the unseen dangers a mystic should face

Zatanna? Zatara? Stage Magician that fights crime with their real magical abilities. Not all such crimes are supernatural in nature.

The Phantom Stranger. No, really. This guy turns up when somebody's soul is in the balance, and the Forces of Bad are actively trying to push them over the edge. The "somebody" in question is as likely or not some kid who has fallen into bad company, an ex-con trying to go straight, or whatever. The character can have any powers you feel like - danger sense, "invulnerability", teleport, spells, whatever.

The Spectre. Deadman. Obviously power levels can vary. This could be a bit expensive, though, since the character would probably need both basic ghost abilities and some others.

Stage Magician is an interesting idea I have been toying with some, thank you for the ideas...

my own character, Doctor Destiny, now re-imagined for the forthcoming Champions Online, started out over two decades ago in my own campaign, and whilst the name was blatantly a cross between Doctors Fate and Strange, the character himseld was a kind of daredevil but with magic. not so much in the acrobatic way, but rather in the type of crime he went after. what he really was tho', was great fun to play.

if anyone's interested, a 30+ page comic strip i did as a style test can be found here: http://drdestiny.deviantart.com/gallery/#Doctor-Destiny

Thank you for the info

You can always go the Harvey route and have a normal with powers built as if with an imaginary sidekick, a pooka.

An oracle would grant knowledge via precognition with nothing else but skills to help the character.

Several Stephen King and Dean Koontz characters would probably suit your needs like Johnny Smith from the Dead Zone, Carrie, Roland the Gunslinger, Francis the golden retriever from Watchers.

The Anhou, the phantom coachman, or the black dog, could be used as heroes. They would need phantom powers and danger sense I expect.

CES

• 2 weeks later...

So I am thinking a trechcoat brigader now, with 4 magic items, one from heaven, one from hell, one from babylon and the fourth from the fey

The items I am thinking of right now

A rabit's foot from babylon (IIF providing luck and defence)

A Sword from the Fey that can dispell magic by cutting it

A Pistol from hell that shoots fire

the final item, something from heaven, I am having trouble with

The Christian Heaven? A feather from an Archangel's wing' date=' which does... something...[/quote']

Movement powers, the feather allows 'movement' on a Hellblazer style synchronicity highway. Or Flight, or teleportation etc.

Or

it allows postcogitive powers (acts as a 'messenger' of good and evil ). The word angel comes from the Greek for messenger.

You can try a harp that allows sonic powers, a halo which will allow for transforms, pre defenses, or healing. A gold brick from the streets could take you anywhere, or be a shield in times of need. A blessing might equal x amount of skill levels in a talent, or an ability to do miracles upon demand.

CES

• 4 weeks later...

well refined it and am now happy with the concept

The character is the decendent of a fairy known as Puck (Read "Midsummer Night's Dream" if you are not familiar with him) and a mortal woman.

Roughly 70 years of age or so (LS aging)

The character will have some misc. spells but be primarily about "trickster" magic, so shapeshifting and illuisons, charms, etc... Maybe a insanly high seduction roll UBO...

Here is the first pass (not even a draft yet)

Some problems I see are the defences are still to low, attack is about right, maybe a couple more spells

Dr Phantasim

Player:

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

20 DEX 30

20 CON 20

12 BODY 4

23 INT 13

14 EGO 8

70 PRE 15

18 COM 4

5 PD 2

5 ED 1

4 SPD 10

7 REC 0

40 END 0

30 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

3" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 112

Cost Power

2 MD (5 points total)

6 Team Communicator: HRRP (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); Sense Affected As Sight, Hearing, & Radio (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)

Sword of the Fey, all slots OAF (-1)

11 1) HKA 1d6 (2d6 w/STR) (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points)

6 2) Dispel 2d6, any Magical power one at a time (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Cumulative (96 points; +1 1/4) (18 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Linked (HKA; -1/2)

30 Multipower, 45-point reserve, (45 Active Points); all slots Variable Limitations (requires -1 worth of Limitations; -1/2)

3u 1) Shape Shift (Sight, Hearing and Smell/Taste Groups, limited group of shapes), Imitation, Costs END Only To Change Shape (+1/4) (45 Active Points)

3u 2) +45 PRE (45 Active Points); Costs END (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

3u 3) Sight and Hearing Groups Images Increased Size (4" radius; +1/2), +/-5 to PER Rolls (45 Active Points)

3u 4) Multiform (150 Character Points in the most expensive form) (x8 Number Of Forms) (45 Active Points)

3u 5) Sight and Hearing Groups Flash 8d6 (45 Active Points)

3u 6) Invisibility to Sight and Hearing Groups , No Fringe, Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (44 Active Points)

Powers Cost: 73

Cost Skill

1 AK: Homeland 8-

1 Acting 8-

3 Animal Handler 23-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Climbing 13-

1 Combat Driving 8-

3 Concealment 14-

3 Contortionist 13-

3 Conversation 23-

3 Cryptography 14-

3 Deduction 14-

2 Language: Latin (fluent conversation)

4 Language: Native (idiomatic)

3 Lockpicking 13-

3 Magic (INT-based) 14-

3 Oratory 23-

3 PS: Illuisonist (INT-based) 14-

3 Paramedics 14-

1 Persuasion 8-

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: Common Knowledge (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-

1 2) KS: Criminal Law & Procedures (2 Active Points) 11-

2 3) KS: Occult & Arcane Knowledge (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-

2 4) KS: Stage Magic (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-

1 5) KS: Super Villains (2 Active Points) 11-

3 Seduction 23-

1 Shadowing 8-

3 Sleight Of Hand 13-

3 Stealth 13-

3 Streetwise 23-

1 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles

1 Teamwork 8-

Skills Cost: 75

Cost Perk

5 Contact: Detective Simon Queen. Police Liason (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has useful Skills or resources) 11-

5 Fringe Benefit: Local Police Powers, Membership: Crusaders

Perks Cost: 10

Total Character Cost: 270

Base Points: 175

Experience Required: 95

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0