5th edition Maelstrom???

Kilted_Avenger

So being a noob, I hope I'm posting my first question in the right area. But I'm wondering if someone can help me find some updated (5th edition?) stats for Scott Heine's original hero Maelstrom from the old adventure To Serve and Protect? I saw some discussion about someone having updated he and the other Protectors. But then there didn't appear to be any follow up.

Maelstrom was always my favorite character out of bunch...which is much to say as they all were very cool. Ace and Quasar and Doctor Sonic...oh the good memories!

I'm getting back into Champions after many long years. And I'm interested in using that character as an NPC in my campaign. I used to have that adventure...but alas...I no longer do.

Well, any help that you can provide would be appreciated!!

Re: 5th edition Maelstrom???

Here is where you can download Document files with fine Fifth Edition updates to the entire Protectors team. If you read further down the thread you'll find Hero Designer files for several of the characters Attached to subsequent posts.

You're very far from alone in your admiration for the Protectors and To Serve And Protect. It's a great favorite among longtime Champsphiles, myself included. :thumbup:

And welcome to our community! You'll find we're a generally friendly and helpful bunch when it comes to newcomers. :)

Isn't there a character with that same name in the 5th edition Revised? He has a force field and all kinds of energy powers.

But this one is a villain, so it might not be related.

I think that character is an example in the "Genre By Genre" chapter of 5ER. And yes, completely unrelated to the heroic Maelstrom from TSAP.

FWIW Scott Heine has mentioned that Maelstrom was originally called "Tempest" in his campaign. Hero Games' then-editor Rob Bell changed it for reasons that Scott can't recall now. Also changed from the campaign, Silverfist was named "Mandroid"; Dr. Wraithe was called "The Warlock"; and Doc Sonic was a man (hence the quotation in the credits for TSAP). ;)

FWIW Scott Heine has mentioned that Maelstrom was originally called "Tempest" in his campaign. Hero Games' then-editor Rob Bell changed it for reasons that Scott can't recall now. Also changed from the campaign' date=' Silverfist was named "Mandroid"; Dr. Wraithe was called "The Warlock"; and Doc Sonic was a man (hence the quotation in the credits for TSAP). ;)[/quote']

You know, bro, you scare me with your memory. :D

It's all true. AND there was no Brainstorm on the original team; I was asked to include a mentalist for the book.

Oh, how much I would do differently if I wrote 'em all up today. I still think there are a lot of concepts in that team composition that would make a really good group for publication. Hmmm. Maybe 6th edition? Steve? :doi:

It's all true. AND there was no Brainstorm on the original team; I was asked to include a mentalist for the book.

Oh, how much I would do differently if I wrote 'em all up today. I still think there are a lot of concepts in that team composition that would make a really good group for publication. Hmmm. Maybe 6th edition? Steve? :doi:

Ooo, an updated version of the Protectors? Put me down for two copies (I could get one for my GM's birthday). :thumbup:

You know' date=' bro, you scare me with your memory. :D[/quote']

You and lots of others, including me sometimes. :P

Did you have the concept for PSI in your campaign before or after Brainstorm (great name BTW) was invented? His back story fit so well with the agency's description in Mind Games.

Oh' date=' how much I would do differently if I wrote 'em all up today. I still think there are a lot of concepts in that team composition that would make a really good group for publication. Hmmm. Maybe 6th edition? Steve? :doi:[/quote']

I'm afraid even if Steve went for it, you'd have to get Cryptic Studios' permission too now. ;)

I have trouble imagining what you would do differently -- the Protectors were exceptionally cool as presented. I still consider it the most balanced hero team, power- and concept-wise, ever to be published for Champions. I learned a lot about team composition and tactics from To Serve And Protect. And they look really cool, too. :cool: More than that, the team has that indefinable magic you just can't reproduce on demand.

A while back Scott posted some new color artwork for several Protectors, and for Coatlicue from TSAP, on his website for people to view freely. :rockon: Unfortunately the original link to that site is moribund, but I saved those images, along with some of the original TSAP illos which someone had colored, that I found on the Internet. Between them I have every character but the Huntsman (his image on the Net was badly rendered, so I didn't save it).

Scott, would you have any objection to my posting those characters here?

Ooo' date=' an updated version of the Protectors? Put me down for two copies (I could get one for my GM's birthday). :thumbup:[/quote']

One day I'm going to track down Scott Heine and squeeze the manuscript for Champions by the Bay out of him. :eg: If I succeed I'll send you a copy.

Well technically my first name is Stephen, So I'll go ahead and authorize that.