Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

Fedifensor

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

Okay, I've given at least one post of feedback for every submitted character. Here's the current status list:

• Engram, gregarious mentalist (jwpacker) - feedback given, revisions made by applicant
  • Luminous, shining detective (quozaxx) - final submission made
  • Guardian, reconstructed powersuit (Checkmate) - feedback given
  • Rhino Beetle, four-armed powerhouse (DocSamson) - feedback given, revisions made by applicant
  • Ladon, shifter with dragon form (Fabricati) - feedback given, full character sheet submitted
  • Cagliostro the Alchemist, master occultist (Vox) - character sheet finished, awaiting revised background
  • Hesperides, gene-spliced plant controller (Revenant) - feedback given
  • Black Arachnia, web-casting heroine (Corven_Ren) - feedback given, revisions made by applicant
  • Chance, reborn dragon (JimMills) - initial concept submitted

As it stands, it seems that Luminous (if he accepts my suggested changes) is in final submission form, and won't need further comments. For everyone else, I will be doing my best to reply to you as I have time. I have spent a lot of time this week on feedback, and so I may be a little slower to respond for the next few days as I catch up with other things. I've also been talking with the players whose characters have already been accepted (Miracle, American Steel, and Tempest) to get their opinions. For good or ill, that discussion is ongoing as everyone has a different ranking order for the current submissions. So, no final decisions have been made, nor will they be made until after the deadline of 11:59 pm on Friday, February 20th.

Now, without stating who brought them up, I'm going to list the biggest concerns about each submission:

• Engram - There's a worry about how you will be using your Telepathy and Emotion Control. Would you use the former to establish communication without having agreement from a teammate beforehand? Would you use the latter to calm down a teammate you felt was getting a little too angry?
  • Luminous - The biggest worry is something out of your control. Your combat role is going to overlap with Tempest, and your noncombat role is going to overlap with Miracle.
  • Guardian - Like Luminous, the biggest concern is overlap with an accepted character...American Steel. I think we'll be able to come to a meeting of the minds on everything else, but that is a concern. Rest assured that if Guardian isn't accepted for Catalyst: Silverstone and another Catalyst game opens up, you'll probably be invited without having to go through another round of applying.
  • Rhino Beetle - The biggest problem is the form. You're bigger than American Steel (which means problems with indoor situations), have trouble speaking, and have a 14- monster rep. Even with the changes, you may just be too handicapped in social situations to be accepted.
  • Ladon - The form is not as big of a problem as it is for Rhino Beetle, but it is a concern. I'll be honest and say the biggest problem is on my end rather than your concept, and is summed up in four words. Been there, done that. After running Amber/Dragoness through a long campaign, I'm not sure if I want to have another dragon superhero as a PC, even if it is human turned dragon instead of dragon turned human.
  • Cagliostro - More than one person had the same response as Miracle posted. With your current writeup, "squashed like a bug" is a big concern.
  • Hesperides - Biggest issue is combat capability...she's a very specialized character, that may find herself not doing much against certain opponents.
  • Black Arachnia - The top concern was character sheet issues, particularly the total defenses of 10.

[*]Engram - There's a worry about how you will be using your Telepathy and Emotion Control. Would you use the former to establish communication without having agreement from a teammate beforehand? Would you use the latter to calm down a teammate you felt was getting a little too angry?

Not sure if out here in public is the best venue for this, but we've all been so up front about things that I'm sure it'll be okay.

Armando really doesn't like his emotion control power very much. He's a firm believer in free will, and would never, ever use that power on someone he considered a friend or a "good guy" under any circumstances. He's already worried that he's accidentally, unconsciously used on someone he's close with, Tamara Masterson, and when worry keeps him up a nights, that's one of the worries that plagues him most.

I see him using it most to instill apathy in someone who is searching for him to harm him or his team. Or a sense of futility in a group of criminals, in hopes that they would surrender. Or even remorse in someone he knows has hurt people in the process of his evil deeds.

As for telepathy, he's had that power for ages and he's learned his lesson well. You don't read the thoughts of your friends and colleagues. You don't really want to know, most of the time, what they're really thinking, and it's only the thin veneer of little white lies that lets us all live together in peace in the first place.

I'd like to think that, as he is joined by team mates, he would take the time to explain his telepathy, and explain to them that he will never read their thoughts without announcing himself first with a sent thought, and then only at the surface level. Deeper scanning is for bad guys, to try to divine their tactics or suss out their plans.

He'd never shy away from using his mind scan abilities, however, to find a missing or lost team mate, but again, he'd announce himself immediately if he were to establish a connection.

And if a team mate decided they didn't want to communicate with him in that fashion, he would honor their decision. He'd be hurt by the lack of trust, but it wouldn't be the first time, and certainly not the last.

I was sort of expecting this roadblock; I half suspect that as soon as someone else gets to GM your Catalyst universe Ladon will do swimmingly- after all, he has a connection with established plotlines built in to the concept and as an added one time bonus he pretty much has a huge motivation to stay with a supergroup- all else fails, his buddies can probably contain him.

Pity, I actually do want to play a dragon multiform at some point. It's a fun idea.

Ok here is a modified Black Arachnia with a full backstory...added a few more skills for a little flavor and some Martial Arts like you suggested. Also has modified HD file attached

Black Arachnia

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

25 STR 15 14- Lift 800.0kg; 5d6 [2]

29 DEX 57 15- OCV: 10/DCV: 10

20 CON 20 13-

15 BODY 10 12-

16 INT 6 12- PER Roll 12-

10 EGO 0 11- ECV: 3

15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

16 COM 3 12-

19 PD 5 Total: 19 PD (19 rPD)

19 ED 6 Total: 19 ED (19 rED)

6 SPD 21 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

12 REC 6

50 END 5

45 STUN 7 Total Characteristic Cost: 166

Movement: Running: 9"/18"

Leaping: 5"/10"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Swinging: 15"/30"

Cost Powers END

50 Web Slinging: Multipower, 50-point reserve

5u 1) Web Ball: EB 10d6 (50 Active Points) 5

5u 2) Web: Entangle 5d6, 5 DEF (50 Active Points) 5

3u 3) Web Wall: FW (10 PD/8 ED; 3" long and 1" tall) (49 Active Points); Requires Anchor Points Power does not work in Common Circumstances (-1/2) 5

3u 4) Get Over Here: Stretching 10" (50 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Common Circumstances (Only to Grab People or Objects; -1/2) 5

2u 5) Swinging Along: Swinging 15", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points)

10 Tougher Than Normal: Damage Resistance (10 PD/10 ED)

10 Enhanced Agility: Missile Deflection (Bullets & Shrapnel) (15 Active Points); Requires A PER Roll And A DEX Roll (-1/2)

10 Wall Crawling: Clinging (normal STR)

6 Good Runner: Running +3" (9" total) 1

Dirty Infighting

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 Block +2 +2 Block, Abort

4 Low Blow -1 +1 2 1/2d6 NND

4 Punch +0 +2 8d6 Strike

5 Two-Fisted Smash -2 +1 10d6 Strike

3 Throw +0 +1 6d6 +v/5, Target Falls

4 +1 HTH Damage Class(es)

Talents

14 Hard to Hit: Combat Luck (9 PD/9 ED) (18 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (-1/4)

Skills

3 Acrobatics 15-

3 Breakfall 15-

3 Climbing 15-

3 KS: Bible 12-

3 KS: Religions of the World 12-

2 Language: Hebrew (basic conversation; literate)

2 Language: Greek (basic conversation; literate)

3 Lipreading 12-

3 Lockpicking 15-

3 Paramedics 12-

3 Shadowing 12-

3 Sleight Of Hand 15-

3 Stealth 15-

3 Streetwise 12-

2 Survival (Urban) 12-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 184

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

20 DNPC: Pastor Jean-Paul Wagner & Diane Wagner and their children Malachai & Esther 8- (Normal; Group DNPC: x4 DNPCs)

5 Distinctive Features: Spider Tattoo on left Shoulder (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

25 Hunted: Unnamed Crime Family 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

15 Hunted: Mystery 8- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

10 Physical Limitation: Wierd Bio Chemistry Requires Special Medical Attention (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

20 Psychological Limitation: Devout Christian (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: Feels the Need to prove herself (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Will Not Kill (Common, Strong)

10 Social Limitation: Legal Minor (Occasionally, Major)

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Very Frequently, Minor)

Total Disadvantage Points: 150

Background/History: Alexandria Drake, sat perched on the corner of a building, looking at the city below. Her mind wandered....how different her life was now than just a few years ago. She had tried to block it out, but was unable. Her father always drunk and always hitting her and her mother. Years of abuse until it came to a head shortly after she turned twelve. She remembered only flashing images. Her father yelling at her mother, her mother yelling back saying she was taking Alex and leaving. Her father grabbing a knife, a flash of light and her mother laying on the floor in blood. She remebered her father coming for her and as she held up her hands to try to defend herself a white substance shooting from them and engulfing her father. Then she ran, she ran for what seemed like hours. Finally collapsing in an alley miles from her home. She knew she could not go back, so she would do her best to sruvive on her own. Experimenting, she taught herself how to use her webbing, learned that she could cling to walls like a spider and learned that her strength had increased as well. She had been pearched on a wall in an alley,eating some fruit she had 'obtained' from a street vendor with her webbing when she noticed a guy drag an old woman into the alley. Alex decided to help her, dropping down she grabbed the man, and to her surprise, when she pulled him off he went flying into the wall on the opposite side of the alley. The woman thanked her and gave her some money. At that point, Alex decided to use her powers to help people. She used the money the woman had gave her to buy some clothes, a purple t-shirt wirh a spidre on it and a pari of black pants and made them into a make shift costume. Over the next few years she taught herself how to fight and at fifteen talked a tatoo artist into tatooing a spider on her left shoulder blade. Alex's life took nother turn just before her sixteenth birthday, she had heard that a gang was going to break in and trash a church and she decided to stop them. She caught them trying to break into the pastors office, she tried to fight them off, but their sheer number overwhelmed her. The next thing she remembered was waking up in the hosrpital to the sight of a man and his wife looking over her. He told her that he was the pastor of the church and wondered if she was all right. She told him of the break in and how she had tried to stop it. He thanked her and asked if could call her parents. Alex had explained her whole situation and the pastor asked if she would like to come live with them and their two children and she agreed. Just a few weeks after moving in Alex had her G.E.D. and few weeks after that the pastor led her to her salvation through Christ. She developed a hunger for knowledge about the bible and the pastor begand to teach her more aobut it as well as Greek and Hebrew. After praying for weeks about it, Alex approached the pastor and his wife and told them that she felt that God wanted her to continue to use her powers to help people and they agreed. The pastor's wife made her a costume and his children gave her a name.

A scream rang out and brought Alex out of her thought. :"No more victims." she said and swung off towards the sound of the scream.

Appearance: Alex is an attractive 16 year old girl with red hair and green eyes. Her normal street clothes are jeans and a t-shirt.

I was sort of expecting this roadblock; I half suspect that as soon as someone else gets to GM your Catalyst universe Ladon will do swimmingly- after all, he has a connection with established plotlines built in to the concept and as an added one time bonus he pretty much has a huge motivation to stay with a supergroup- all else fails, his buddies can probably contain him.

Pity, I actually do want to play a dragon multiform at some point. It's a fun idea.

You're not out of the running, yet. I only said I was not sure...and there are three other people giving their opinions. Honestly, the biggest concern that wasn't mine was that you'd be in a fight and your dragon form would go nuts and try to kill someone.

You're not out of the running' date=' yet. I only said I was not sure...and there are three other people giving their opinions. Honestly, the biggest concern that wasn't mine was that you'd be in a fight and your dragon form would go nuts and try to kill someone.[/quote']

Yes, and like I said, that's why Ladon would surround himself with super-heroes. He's not going to pull any punches about his control issues and will pretty much give the party Superman's Ultimatum- "If I go bad, don't hesitate to take me down."

It's very much part of the reason he's on the team, and will go through hell and high water to keep the team together- no matter what team he ends up on. He's well aware that he's there to help, but he's also aware that him trying to kill someone is a very real threat.

He's not there, really, to be an overall help- although he would be.

He's there to be contained.

Thanks for the feedback! Also good general advice when it comes to the HERO system, I suspect. Lessons learned.

Here's my second go 'round of both the stats and the background. I've redesigned his magic around two types: inherent and requiring the cloak. The inherent magic is Cagliostro's own, while the focus magic is wrapped up in a multipower that requires the Cloak of Merlin. I gave him some basic superhero sorcerer powers (teleportation, energy blast, levitation), and threw in some Transformation for good measure. It's Major and To Anything, but is extremely weak, meaning that he's need a lot of accumulate Phases to change anything.

I also interspersed Gestures and Incantations less liberally. Some require neither, some require one or the other, and only one requires both.

His stats I've completely reworked with your advice in mind. He's a good deal faster and sturdier than before.

The background I edited heavily, altering the relationship between the two halves of his soul. The modern man is now a virtuous, open-minded influence on the craggy, ambitious alchemist.

I look forward to another bout of advice and revision. :)

~Gabriel

Ok here is a modified Black Arachnia with a full backstory...added a few more skills for a little flavor and some Martial Arts like you suggested. Also has modified HD file attached

It is fascinating to me that no matter how many incarnations of this concept I see, they always seem like they would be tons of fun to play. :thumbup:

Vox,

You've mentioned that you were new to HERO, so if you don't mind, let me help you out. I've done a very quick draft of how I would create your character. I'll post it and explain why I did it.

Val Char Cost

10 STR 0 Pretty normal superhero STR

20 DEX 30 For this point range, you really need this to be effective

20 CON 20 Lowest I'd go here is 18 for a supers game

10 BODY 0 In a supers game it's rare to take body increase later if you want

23 INT 13 I really think this is overkill (30 is ungodly). At this level you're one of the smartest humans on the planet.

23 EGO 26 Again, this is HUGE. 30 killing a cockroach with a bazooka.

20 PRE 10 Pretty high, but could see a mystic with this.

20 COM 5 Complete waste of points, but it adds flavor, I like it.

5/20 PD 3 The 5 is without your Force Field. Normal human stuff.

5/20 ED 1 The 5 is without your Force Field. Normal human stuff.

4 SPD 10 Sort of low, but fits with your human stats.

10 REC 8 I'm O.C.D. love even number recoveries.

40 END 0 More than you need. Could sell back some if you need points.

35 STUN 10 Pretty good. Fits the character concept.

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

2" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 136

Cost Power

20 Magic Prowess: Endurance Reserve (100 END, 10 REC) (20 Active Points)

I've removed all limitations from this. All your powers are bought through this Reserve. If it was a focus, and gets taken away, so do all your powers. We REALLY wanna keep this. This will keep you going for a LONG time (you'll probably be asked to lower it). You spend around 32 END per Turn (if you fly, have your Force Field up and attack EVERY phase) subtract your 10 Recovery, you lose 22 END per turn. Where it is now, you could go for almost 5 turns. GM has already said combats are typically 2 Turns, so even this may be overkill.

5 Scholar's Discipline: Mental Defense (10 points total)

10 Mystic Protection: Power Defense (10 points)

A lot of Super Mages in the Champs Universe seem to have Power Defense. I always take it for them if I have the points to spare.

7 Cloak of Merlin: Elemental Control, 20-point powers, (10 Active Points); all slots IAF (-1/2)

18 1) Charm of Protection: Force Field (15 PD/15 ED), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (37 Active Points); IAF (-1/2)

7 2) Levitation: Flight 10" (20 Active Points); IAF (-1/2)

I've put your Force Field and Flight into an Element Control with the Focus Limitation. I'm not sure I would do this if it were mine, if you lose your focus (and you will) you have no defenses. If you have the points, I would get rid of the focus. Maybe add Extra time to activate, or, if the GM allows, Variable Limitations. I've taken your flight and force field out of the multipower because this allows you to attack, fly, and have your force field up at the same time.

60 Occult Magic: Multipower, 60-point reserve

6u 1) Arcane Surge: Energy Blast 12d6 (60 Active Points)

6u 2) Negate Magic: Dispel Magic 20d6 (60 Active Points)

2u 3) Spirit Walk I: Teleportation 10" (20 Active Points)

4u 4) Spirit Walk II: Teleportation 5", x4 Increased Mass, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4), MegaScale (1" = 100 km; +3/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (45 Active Points)

6u 5) True Alchemy: Major Transform 2d6 (Anything to Anything, Dispelling the Magic or Another Application of Power), Improved Results Group (+1) (60 Active Points)

This is the Multipower where most of your attacks will go. I've only included the powers you had, but would suggest adding an EGO Blast (common for a supermage), maybe an entangle, a Detect/Analyze Magic spell. This also has no limitations on it. You're certainly welcome to add some, but I wouldn't recommend it.

10 Sanctuary: Teleportation: Floating Fixed Location (2 Locations)

This will allow you to use your long distance Teleport to go right to these locations. You spend a phase or two memorizing the location, then you can go right to this location without having to see it.

Total Character Cost: 297

As built right now, you still have 53 points to play with. I haven't included Skills so that should take a big chunk of that (30-40 points) but you could still add a couple of Multipower slots or modify to taste. Maybe add Martial Arts (Fencing with a Sword Cane?) for the times you lose your focus.

• Rhino Beetle - The biggest problem is the form. You're bigger than American Steel (which means problems with indoor situations), have trouble speaking, and have a 14- monster rep. Even with the changes, you may just be too handicapped in social situations to be accepted.

I have updated my submission based on your concerns. I reduced the character's height and weight so that it won't be a problem except in rare circumstances. I removed the difficulty speaking disadvantage. I changed the character's reputation such that I think he will still be unpopular with the public (which I think may be fun to roleplay), but not hated and feared. Thank you again for your time.

Okay, I've given at least one post of feedback for every submitted character. Here's the current status list:

• Engram, gregarious mentalist (jwpacker) - feedback given, revisions made by applicant
  • Luminous, shining detective (quozaxx) - feedback given, HD file submitted, revised HD file sent back to applicant via email
  • Guardian, reconstructed powersuit (Checkmate) - feedback given
  • Rhino Beetle, four-armed powerhouse (DocSamson) - feedback given, revisions made by applicant
  • Ladon, shifter with dragon form (Fabricati) - feedback given, full character sheet submitted
  • Cagliostro the Alchemist, master occultist (Vox) - feedback given, changes requested
  • Hesperides, gene-spliced plant controller (Revenant) - feedback given
  • Black Arachnia, web-casting heroine (Corven_Ren) - feedback given, full background requested

As it stands, it seems that Luminous (if he accepts my suggested changes) is in final submission form, and won't need further comments. For everyone else, I will be doing my best to reply to you as I have time. I have spent a lot of time this week on feedback, and so I may be a little slower to respond for the next few days as I catch up with other things. I've also been talking with the players whose characters have already been accepted (Miracle, American Steel, and Tempest) to get their opinions. For good or ill, that discussion is ongoing as everyone has a different ranking order for the current submissions. So, no final decisions have been made, nor will they be made until after the deadline of 11:59 pm on Friday, February 20th.

Now, without stating who brought them up, I'm going to list the biggest concerns about each submission:

• Engram - There's a worry about how you will be using your Telepathy and Emotion Control. Would you use the former to establish communication without having agreement from a teammate beforehand? Would you use the latter to calm down a teammate you felt was getting a little too angry?
  • Luminous - The biggest worry is something out of your control. Your combat role is going to overlap with Tempest, and your noncombat role is going to overlap with Miracle.
  • Guardian - Like Luminous, the biggest concern is overlap with an accepted character...American Steel. I think we'll be able to come to a meeting of the minds on everything else, but that is a concern. Rest assured that if Guardian isn't accepted for Catalyst: Silverstone and another Catalyst game opens up, you'll probably be invited without having to go through another round of applying.
  • Ladon - The form is not as big of a problem as it is for Rhino Beetle, but it is a concern. I'll be honest and say the biggest problem is on my end rather than your concept, and is summed up in four words. Been there, done that. After running Amber/Dragoness through a long campaign, I'm not sure if I want to have another dragon superhero as a PC, even if it is human turned dragon instead of dragon turned human.
  • Cagliostro - More than one person had the same response as Miracle posted. With your current writeup, "squashed like a bug" is a big concern.
  • Hesperides - Biggest issue is combat capability...she's a very specialized character, that may find herself not doing much against certain opponents.
  • Black Arachnia - The top concern was character sheet issues, particularly the total defenses of 10.

Let me throw a bone out to all the people currently submitting characters, Catalyst is not a one campaign game. I will be starting a second campaign a few weeks after this one goes live. It is Catalyst: Thebes, a fictional city south west of Mephis along the Mississippi River. While Silverstone is a new city for Primes, Thebes has been a playground for them for almost 20 years. IF you do not get accepted into this game don't throw away your character!!! Finish ironing out the kinks and I will see if we can fit you in. Thebes will need 6 heroes as well, and right now only 1 spot is taken (Fedifensor already has a charatcer... he wants to play too).

Here is a little peek at the city...

• Center City – aka Cinder City, is the completely renovated urban hub. Not ten years ago the section of town was raised in the battle between Mechanix’s robot forces, lead by the hero turned traitor Psiborg, and the Ministry of Justice. It is now a gleaming example of eco-friendly high-rises containing about 50% of the cities population and non-industrial work base.
  • The Rookery – Named after the Catholic Church that was the foundation in this section of town. Its tightly packed row houses have been stained by the constant use of cheap coal for heating. Now it is a slum that police will only come into with significant backup.
  • Gunnison - is a bustling center for various light industrial plants and manufacturing facilities. The Concordia Correctional Facility is located at the south eastern section of this sprawl.
  • Waxhaw - A community of brownstone row houses punctuated with small parks every other block. The tree lined streets, ample lights and involved community make this a relatively crime free area. Points of interest include Community College, Waxhaw Symphony, and the Thebes School of Dance and Art.
  • Rosedale – a small community that was absorbed as Thebes grew. Its small southern homes and manicured lawns are a shocking contrast to the Rookery just on the other side of the levy. The areas closest to the Rookery are low incoming houses and have a higher crime rate. The 9th Precinct at Main & Brown, and the K9 Kennels at Clark & Railroad keep anything major from spilling over into more affluent parts of town.
  • Sugar Hill – an suburban ghetto sprawl
  • Eastvale - Middle Income Suburbs
  • Mound City – Gated middle and upper income suburbs and estates
  • Market District – an area that experienced a renaissance before the Battle of Center City. Known for its redbrick streets with gas lights. It houses the middle and upper class love of movies, wine and song. Something akin to the French Quarter in New Orleans. An upper class red light district rests in the north western edge of the district.
  • River District – This river flat was once the home of the sprawling markets. The remaining markets are on the northern and southern edge of the district. The remainder is little more than an inner city slum.
  • Switchback – Heavy industrial, with a signification portion abandoned. More than a few small superfund sites for toxic cleanup exist in this district.

And a glimpse to the heroes now past:

The Ministry of Justice (team, defunct) – this collection of Primes defended Thebes for over ten years, before sacrificing themselves in the Battle for Center City.

• Armed Forces – Military attaché to the Ministry of Justice. He mirrored Liberty Belle’s tenacity and patriotism, but not her other abilities. Equipped with cutting edge military hardware, he was normally not likened to a prime at all. Just a normal man with extraordinary talent. It was thought that he and Liberty Belle were at item at one time.
  • Liberty Belle – unofficial leader of the group but maintained all Public Relations. Her strength, tenacity, toughness and patriotism were her hallmark. It was rumored that she had a relationship with Armed Forces for a time. She was killed scuttling Mechanix’s sky fortress the only way she knew how. She flew a few miles up into the air and power dived into the aft section that contained the ships reactors. The resulting explosion blew a hole straight through the ship, causing a chain reaction of smaller explosions with the vessel. The ship split in two and crashed into the Mississippi River.
  • National Guard – an unknown benefactor in a metal battle suit, equipped with a pair of arm mounted force shields. He was known to be the toughest member of the team. He had the ability to reinforce anything he could remain in contact with. He had taken blows that knocked Liberty Belle cold and remarked, “That all you bringing to the party chief?!” During the Battle of Center City he was able to catch a crippled hover platform that was falling to earth. He stopped its decent before it could smash into a large brownstone elementary school. He joked under the pressure, “Nothing to see here… move along…” as children streamed past him and out of danger. His actions saved the lives of well over 500 children. The shear weight of the craft was finally too much for his suit to take as it was crushed under a few hundred of tons of steel.
  • Plasma Core, aka the Living Light – was Psiborg’s best friend and staunchest ally. After the Battle of Center City he was the only one left standing. He fell down at the heart of the city and wept what appeared to be steam. He then looked to the heavens and said to a little girl, “So this is how it ends.” He then glowed internally and dissolved into a stream of plasma. He has not been seen since and is thought to be dead.
  • Psiborg – battle leader of the Ministry of Justice and end the end a turncoat. During a decisive point in the Battle of Center City he killed Armed Forces and switched sides. Psiborg was destroyed when a burning section of the financial tower sheared off his mechanical legs and pinned him. Plasma Core looked on at his best friend as said, “Your hatred for us has become your undoing” and walked away, leaving Psiborg to be burned alive.
  • Shiftlock – had the ability to mimic the physical form of natural beings or function of anything not “natural” that she had touched in the last hour, but once in that form she would stay that way until an hour had past. So she could mimic a shark, be able swim, breath water, have a nasty bite, etc. She could touch concrete and take on its resilience, mass, etc. She used her ability to mimic Liberty Belle at the start of the battle and drew a large contingent of airborne robots away from the heart of the city. She was caught unaware in mid-flight when her hour had passed and plummeted to her death.
  • Wirework – a consummate martial artist whose signature weapons were a pair of metal whips. Confucius Roberts was the only publicly known super and the star of over twenty martial arts movies. He sacrificed his life to give police critical time to reinforce a strategic intersection. Dying atop a hill of robot parts at least 10’ tall, the amount of laser fire his body sustained made him all but unrecognizable.

And what are the heroes without some notable villians...

Mechanix – aka The Machine Master, weilds almost total control of technology. He is somehow able to corrupt computer logic and reprogram technology on the fly. Time and time again his schemes for domination were thwarted by the Ministry of Justice. His last plan was to attach his floating sky fortress to the industrial section of the city. This would give him a huge supply of raw materials and power to produce an immense robot army. He vanished after the Battle of Center City, thought to be destroyed when his floating sky fortress was scuttled by Liberty Belle.

Warpath (team) – this is a loosely organized group of primes, who come together for common goals. Members have been seen across what was once the Native American lands of the South Eastern United States.

• Ghost Dance – the binding force behind the group. A known shaman who is deferred to by the other members out of respect and fear. He is able to call on the spirits of his ancestors in battle. He seeks peaceful co-existence between all races, however is very quick to take offense. He will meet out tribal’esque justice to those who defile Native American historical sites or Native American hate crimes. He went to trial over eight years ago for attempted mass murder and pleaded insanity, holding the memories of over 100 Native American warriors. He was found not guilty by reason of insanity and sent to an undisclosed mental hospital for treatment. He was recently released and claims to be “cured.” His current location unknown.
  • Iron Horse – a technology based prime who rides a mechanical horse into battle. She is equipped with a lance that has been seen to fire particle blasts or cut open the side of an armored car. A mercenary thru and thru, her only motivation is money. Currently wanted for a myriad of crimes and is at large.
  • Totem – a large entity composed of earth, boulders, grass and trees. It would be considered the “heavy” of the group. It has only been seen twice, and both in the presence of Ghost Dance. It has only been heard to wail or moan in response to stimuli. Its current location is unknown and is wanted for questioning.
  • Ten Bears – a circus performer / martial artist / cat burglar who was freed from apparent slavery by Ghost Dance. He is a free agent and loose cannon, with a pen-chance for robbing museums holding Native American exhibits. Is the only known prime to have escaped from PIT more than once. Currently wanted for escaping PIT (and the host of previous convictions).
  • The Raven (deceased) – a flying prime who used sonic powers. A force for good, she would warn the Ministry of Justice when unknown forces were aligned against them. When Liberty Belle asked her why she was with Warpath, she replied “You only protect what you know, let me protect what I know.” Her last known appearance was during the Battle of Center City, where she was killed.

So, keep up the good work. A few submitted primes might not be a good fit because you would step on other heroes toes. With a new group, we would need those core primes. Here are my guidelines so far...

The New Beginning setting of Thebes is ripe for opportunities for primes.

• Characters will be 200/150 for a 350 point prime.
    • 50 points in Psychological Limitations is required. It would be nice for a Psychological Limitation to point to why the character is a hero. Patriot (Common, Strong) is good while Likes to Party (Common, Strong) is poor. If there is not a limitation, then it needs to be explained well in the back story. The “mutant” back story is just a reason not to be creative.
    • Buying down stats is frowned upon, you are a prime after all.
    • Standards are 11 DC attack, 25/25 defenses, 23 DEX and 5 Speed.
    • Standard skill/talent set is 40 points. Some perks and talents count against this, some do not. Martial Arts, combat levels and overall levels do not go against the skill minimum. However, levels with Intelligence Based skills would go against the minimum (this is just an example). Maximum roll on most skills should be 15- (with levels), exceptions for a 16- will be given for honed character concepts. That said, I will deny “Requires a Skill Roll” -1/4 limitation with a high skill level (the max roll for this limitation is 14-).
    • Any power with a stop or warning sign, probably means no. Ask and we will talk but don’t assume just because you stick it on your sheet it will be taken. Also, don’t ask about Damage Reduction. It’s not for you, nothing to see here, move along… move along.

[*]Expect a crossover with Catalyst: Silvercity.

These hooks already exist in the campaign city. It is no means the historical definitive for power origins, just something to help.

• Native American based. This will get you watched/hunted by Warpath, and/or by particular members of Warpath, and/or by the Local Tribe.
  • Android/Cyborg/Robot. This will get you a more powerful mystery hunted that wants to capture you. Hmmm.... (NOTE: take 8 points of Hardened Mental Defense if you want this… fair warning). You can also take a physical limitations because of your unusual origin.
  • Rogue Guardsman – this will get an automatic watched by local police, hunted by local gangs, and watched by the Guardsmen. You could have Guardsman tech or you could just use them as a basis for training. Also a great chance for a powerful contact.
  • Passing the Mantle
    • The Raven – this prime passed her mantle down to an apprentice. The Raven has one notable power, Serial Immortality, not unlike the old serial hero The Phantom. Her other powers change though she has access to a vast amount of data (last one was mystical, but yours could be through databases!?)
    • Liberty Belle – basically a flying brick. I.E. Liberty Lass – Armed and Liberty were an item… giving a player time to make a teenaged hero.
    • Psiborg – he was destroyed, but who made him and/or where are the parts that remained after he was burned alive? Note Cyborg above.

[*]Tech Based Suit – highly recommend 8 points of Hardened Power Defense. The mystery hunted above does not seek you. Though if you run into him or his lackeys I would hate for you suit to turn against you, turning you into pawn for evil for the remainder of the adventure!

OK, that was a lot for you to look at and absorb. I will be dropping a thread in here soon after this campaign group is locked in by Fedifensor. So, if you want to respond with something short then all well and good. Keep character ideas and whatnot on topic to this thread please. I am not here to threadjack, just to inform.

I like what I see and I am looking forward to gaming with the lot of you (one one side of the GM screen AND the other).

Zac

Wow, thanks Checkmate. Providing a line by line explanation was really helpful. It would seem that many of my expectations are unrealistic.

I'm going to try again, taking your advice into account.

~Gabriel

I tried making Detective Luminous with Hero Machine and got this when I saved it to a file:

Luminous*Hair:Standard,understubble,724D21,FFFFFF,100,100,23,Eyebrows:Standard,eyebrows4,724D21,FFFFFF,100,100,21,Eyes:Standard,slanty,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,20,Nose:Standard,slash,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,27,Mouth:Standard,line2,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,18,Beard:Standard,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,26,Ears:Standard,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,19,Skin:Standard,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,6,Mask:Standard,capam,8DCFCE,FFFFFF,100,100,22,Headgear:Standard,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,29,Undershirt:Standard,tank,8DCFCE,FFFFFF,100,100,7,Overshirt:Standard,season2,8CCFF9,FFFFFF,100,100,8,Coat:Standard,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,25,RightGlove:Standard,capam,CFCFCF,FFFFFF,100,100,17,LeftGlove:Standard,fin,CFCFCF,FFFFFF,100,100,16,Insignia:Standard,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,9,Neckwear:Standard,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,24,Belt:Standard,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,15,Leggings:Standard,long,8DCFCE,FFFFFF,100,100,10,Overleggings:Standard,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,11,Pants:Standard,gi,8CCFF9,FFFFFF,100,100,14,RightFoot:Standard,sneaker,8DCFCE,FFFFFF,100,100,13,LeftFoot:Standard,sneaker,36B9EF,FFFFFF,100,100,12,Back:Standard,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,3,Wings:Standard,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,4,Tail:Standard,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,5,Aura:Standard,forcefield,FFFF00,FFFFFF,100,100,2,Companion:Standard,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,31,Background:Standard,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,1,RightHand:Standard,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,30,LeftHand:Standard,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,28,#

Just info, no picture. What am I doing wrong?

Hero Machine generates the image and stores the data in text format for future loading into Hero Machine. If you want to capture the image itself, you need to use some sort of image capture utility, such as the one I use, HyperSnap DX-5 (from http://www.hyperionics.com) to grab the image and store it in a jpg or other graphics file.

I hope this helps. :)

Hero Machine generates the image and stores the data in text format for future loading into Hero Machine. If you want to capture the image itself' date=' you need to use some sort of image capture utility, such as the one I use, HyperSnap DX-5 (from http://www.hyperionics.com) to grab the image and store it in a jpg or other graphics file.[/quote']

If you have a PC, you can use the PrintScreen (sometimes PRTSCR) to copy the contents of the screen onto your clipboard, and then paste it into MS Paint (under Accessories). If you're using a Mac, like me, Cmd-Shift 4 will turn on a set of crosshairs that you can use to select the portion of the screen that you want to capture. It is then automatically saved to your desktop for you.

No added software needed.

Alright, how does this look.

I didn't like the Elemental Control for thematic reasons, so I broke it apart and made the focus somewhat less accessible (and hopefully less of a liability, but every hero has a weakness). Even superhero mages have to do something with their hands (Fate and Strange are both famous for throwing up the horns), so I added gestures onto the multipower, where I think it fits perfectly. A few more options onto the multipower round out the deal.

Cagliostro

Characteristics: 136

10 STR 0

20 DEX 30

20 CON 20

10 BODY 0

23 INT 13

23 EGO 26

20 PRE 10

20 COM 5

5 PD 3

5 ED 1

4 SPD 10

10 REC 8

40 END 0

35 STUN 10

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

2" LEAP 0

Powers: 153

20 Soul of Cagliostro: Endurance Reserve (100 END, 10 REC) (20 Active Points)

5 Scholar's Discipline: Mental Defense (10 points total)

10 Mystic's Immunity: Power Defense (10 points)

22 Charm of Protection: Force Field (20 PD/20 ED), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (50 Active Points); IIF Philosopher's Stone (Extremely Difficult to obtain new Focus -1¼). Total Cost: 22

9 Levitation: Flight 10" (20 Active Points); IIF Philosopher's Stone (Extremely Difficult to obtain new Focus -1¼). Total Cost: 9

48 Occult Magic: Multipower, 60-point reserve; Gestures (Either Hand, -¼)

5u 1) Arcane Surge: Energy Blast 12d6 (60 Active Points); Gestures (Either Hand, -¼)

5u 2) Negate Magic: Dispel Magic 20d6 (60 Active Points); Gestures (Either Hand, -¼)

2u 3) Spirit Walk I: Teleportation 10" (20 Active Points); Gestures (Either Hand, -¼)

4u 4) Spirit Walk II: Teleportation 5", x4 Increased Mass, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4), MegaScale (1" = 100 km; +3/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (45 Active Points); Gestures (Either Hand, -¼)

5u 5) True Alchemy: Major Transform 2d6 (Anything to Anything, Dispelling the Magic or Another Application of Power), Improved Results Group (+1) (60 Active Points); Gestures (Either Hand, -¼)

4u 6) Psychic Blast: Ego Attack 6d6 (60 Active Points); Gestures (Either Hand, -¼), Visible (-¼). Total cost: 40 points.

4u 7) Reformation: Healing 5d6, Can Heal Limbs +5 (55 Active Points) Gestures (Either Hand, -¼). Total Cost: 44

10 Spell of Return: Teleportation: Floating Fixed Location (2 Locations)

Skills: 59

Magic 15 (3)

Analyze 15 (3 pts)

Conversation 13 (3)

Deduction 15 (3)

Cryptography 15 (3)

High Society 13 (3)

Knowledge (ancient history) 15 (2)

Knowledge (mystical) 20 (12)

Language (Sanskrit) (4)

Persuasion 13 (3)

Talents: 5 points

Eidetic Memory (5)

Disadvantages: 150

Layla: DNPCs 11-, Normal (+5), Unaware (+5), a smart but naive student of dead languages, slightly enamored of her professor; 15 Points

Smells Strongly of Incense: Distinctive Feature, Not Concealable; 15 Character Points

Illuminati: Hunted 11-, More Powerful, NCI; 25 Character Points

Protector of Life: Compelled to protect all living beings, human or other. (Common, Total): 20 points

True to His Word: Bound by magical pact never to break confidence. (Common, Total): 20 points

Succor the Innocent: Regardless of his circumstances, Cagliostro must provide aid to any innocent who asks for it. (Very Uncommon, Strong): 20 points

Proud: Overconfidence (Very Common, Moderate): 15 points

Secret Identity: 20 points

Um it really doesn't make sense to break up that Element Control, it costs you more points, and has no gain.

I would also get rid of "Difficult to Obtain New Focus". I get your line of thinking, it would be hard to make a new stone, but you need to think a little meta-game here. All of your limitations are going to come up at some point and limit you. They wouldn't be worth anything if they didn't. The more points you save by piling them on, the more they're going to limit you.

Think of it this way: An IIF is -1/4 right? This means that on average, this will limit you once every four adventures. An OAF is a -1 limitation, which means you'll get bothered by this limitation, on average, every other adventure. Yours is -1 1/4, it's going to affect you A LOT.

Gestures, yes you see Fate and Strange doing funny hand gestures, but let me ask you this, have they ever been stopped from doing magic because they couldn't move their hands? Maybe once in a GREAT while, but typically no it doesn't hinder them at all. In HERO if you have gestures, if you're entangled, or even grabbed, that's it, no gestures for you. If you look, you're a 350 point character that could be stopped by a 20 point power. 2d6 Entangle and you're not going anywhere for a LONG time (if you want to see how long, take 2d6 and see how long it takes you to roll a 6 and any number greater than 1, seven times. Each roll is a phase, every 4 phases, or rolls, is a Turn).

Now it's your character, I'm not the GM, or anyone who's opinion matters, just letting you know what could happen from experience.

I'm not much for metagaming, but I concede that you have a practical point. I like limitations and weaknesses in a character, however. They provide a great deal of interest. I won't be offended if and when Cagliostro's focus becomes a problem. That's why I included it in the first place. It's no different from Iron Man's armor or Thor's hammer. Some of the best stories are about how they deal with being depowered.

I should probably give him some sort of way to escape Entangling effects, though. Would an NND Killing Attack that only affects objects work fairly well for that purpose?

~Gabriel

I've seen all the different versions of Cagliostro, and I felt some things were missing. They didn't have that Dr. Fate/Dr. Strange feel, but that wasn't the biggest thing. Cagliostro is, first and foremost, an alchemist. However, I wasn't seeing enough of an alchemical flavor in the magics, other than the token of using a philosopher's stone as a focus. So, I whipped this up in about an hour. It's a rush job, and I'm not saying it's the best way of doing things...but I think it works a bit better.

The physical stats are high because of magical potions Cagliostro imbibes every several hours. Without those potions, his physical prowess diminishes until he becomes a normal human. See the Dependence limitation for details. Also, for the HERO gurus reading this thread, I'm aware of the potential abuse of long-term continuing charges on the Force Field and Flight. Keep in mind that both can be dispelled - if Cagliostro has access to an 18d6 Dispel, I'm sure some of his enemies can get access to the same.

Cagliostro the Alchemist

VAL...CHA...Cost...Total...Roll......Notes

13....STR.....3.....13......12-.......HTH Damage 2 1/2d6 END [1]

20....DEX....30.....20......13-.......OCV 7 DCV 7

25....CON....30.....25......14-

13....BODY....6.....13......12-

23....INT....13.....23......14-.......PER Roll 14-

20....EGO....20.....20......13-.......ECV: 7

15....PRE.....5.....15......12-.......PRE Attack: 3d6

16....COM.....3.....16......12-

8.....PD......5.....8/21..............8/21 PD (0/13 rPD)

11....ED......6....11/24..............11/24 ED (0/13 rED)

5.....SPD....20......5................Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

10....REC.....4.....10

50....END.....0.....50

35....STUN....2.....35

6.....RUN.....0.....6"................END [1]

2.....SWIM....0.....2"................END [1]

3.....LEAP....0.....2 1/2"............2 1/2" forward, 1" upward

CHA Cost: 147

Cost...POWERS

56.....Magical Manipulations: Multipower, 70-point reserve, (70 Active Points); all slots Gestures (-1/4)

5u.....1) Mystic Bolt: Energy Blast 11d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (69 Active Points) - END=2

5u.....2) Soul Blast: Energy Blast 5d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Affects Desolidified (any form of Desolidification) (+1/2), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense applies; +1) (69 Active Points); Target must have a soul (-1/4) - END=3

5u.....3) Disperse Magic: Dispel 18d6, Variable Effect: Magic (one power at a time) (+1/4) (67 Active Points) - END=7

5u.....4) Words of Transition: Teleportation 10", No Relative Velocity, Position Shift, x32 Noncombat, x8 Increased Mass (70 Active Points); Incantations (-1/4) - END=7

2u.....5) True Alchemy: Major Transform 2d6+1 (anything into anything), Improved Results Group (+1) (70 Active Points); OAF (Philosopher's Stone; -1), No Range (-1/2), 12 Charges (-1/4)

1u.....6) Elixir of Life: Healing BODY 5d6, Resurrection (70 Active Points); 1 Charge which Recovers every 1 Week (-2 1/2), OAF (Elixir; -1), Must be applied within one turn of death (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2)

3......Spell of Magic Detection: Detect Magic 14- (Sight Group), Discriminatory (8 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Extra Time (Extra Segment, Only to Activate, -1/4) - END=1

12.....Alchemical Alterations: Elemental Control, 50-point powers, (25 Active Points); all slots Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Extra Time (Extra Segment, Only to Activate, -1/4), Needs potion to activate (only) (-1/4)

12.....1) Draught of Eldritch Defense: Force Field (10 PD/10 ED/5 Power Defense), Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), 2 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Day each (+1/2) (50 Active Points)

13.....2) Elixir of the Winds: Flight 13", Position Shift, x8 Noncombat, 3 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+1/4) (51 Active Points)

.......Vestment of Cagliostro, all slots IIF (Worn under clothing; -1/4)

7......1) Protective Layer: Armor (3 PD/3 ED) (9 Active Points)

8......2) Defensive Magics: +2 with DCV (10 Active Points)

1......Strong Mind: Mental Defense (5 points total)

POWERS Cost: 135

Cost...SKILLS

10.....+1 Overall

6......Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifier with All Attacks

3......Power: Alchemy (INT-based) 14-

3......Analyze: Magic 14-

3......Conversation 12-

3......Cryptography 14-

3......Deduction 14-

3......High Society 12-

3......Persuasion 12-

3......Linguist

1......1) Language: German (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)

3......2) Language: Italian (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

1......3) Language: Japanese (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)

3......4) Language: Latin (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

1......5) Language: Mandarin (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)

3......6) Language: Sanskrit (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

3......Scholar

2......1) KS: Alchemy (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-

2......2) KS: Ancient History (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-

2......3) KS: Occult (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-

SKILLS Cost: 61

Cost...TALENTS

5......Eidetic Memory

TALENTS Cost: 5

Value..DISADVANTAGES

5......Dependence: Potions of Prowess - Weakness (Common, 6 Hours)

[Notes: For every time increment without a potion:

Drops STR, DEX, CON, and BODY by 3 points, to a minimum of 8.

Drops PD and ED by 3 points, to a minimum of 3.

Drops END and STUN by 6 points, to a minimum of 20.

Drops SPD by 1 point, to a minimum of 2.]

15.....Social Limitation: Secret Identity Frequently (11-), Major

10.....Social Limitation: Oaths to the Spirits (Occasionally, Major)

15.....Dependent NPC: Layla, a student infatuated with her professor 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

5......Distinctive Features: Smells of incense (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15.....Hunted: The Third Eye 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)

15.....Hunted: Mythos 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)

10.....Hunted: Mystery Supervillain 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

20.....Psychological Limitation: Oath of Life - will never kill (Common, Total)

15.....Psychological Limitation: Oath of the Lamb - will protect any innocent being that asks for his aid (Common, Strong)

15.....Psychological Limitation: Bound By Oaths - will be true to any oath he swears (Uncommon, Total)

DISADVANTAGES Points: 150

Base Pts: 200

Exp Required: 0

Total Exp Available: 0

Exp Unspent: 0

Total Character Cost: 348 (2 points unspent)

That...gives me a lot to think about. I'm not even sure where to begin. I do like that it emphasizes the alchemical background of the character, but on the other hand I have had absolutely nothing to do with his creation. I don't know how I feel about that.

I mean, I love the character, I just don't feel any particular ownership of him anymore. If that makes any sense.

~Gabriel

That...gives me a lot to think about. I'm not even sure where to begin. I do like that it emphasizes the alchemical background of the character' date=' but on the other hand I have had absolutely nothing to do with his creation. I don't know how I feel about that.[/quote']

Well, I wouldn't say that. You wrote the background of the character, the concept of the oaths and the restrictions they impose upon you, etc. In my mind, that's the most important part of the character design process.

I took most of the disadvantages and skills directly from your writeup, and several of the powers (Energy Blast, Dispel Magic, Transform, Teleport). The exact configuration may be changed, but the spirit should still be there.

I mean, I love the character, I just don't feel any particular ownership of him anymore. If that makes any sense.

It makes sense, and it was just a suggestion. So, let me go back to your last submission, and go over it.

Feedback - Cagliostro

Characteristics: Better, though EGO is a bit on the high side for a starting character. Comeliness seems high for a guy that constantly smells like incense, and I didn't get the sense of someone at the characteristic maxima in your background.

Powers: The power level is appropriate for a 4 SPD, but there are some mechanical issues, and some things I'd prefer to see changed.

First, the END Reserve could use to have a lower maximum END. You can compensate with a higher REC.

Second, the Philosopher's Stone focus shouldn't be hard to recover. Either it should be a breakable focus you can recover normally, or an unbreakable focus that is one of a kind.

Third, Gestures on your powers can be a problem if you get entangled. You're going to be helpless until a teammate can free you. As it's only a -1/4 limitation, you can live with it, but you may want to buy it off eventually.

Fourth, Dispel only works against a single game power by default. If you want to affect any single power with a magic special effect, you have to take a +1/4 advantage.

Fifth, I don't want to see a 6d6 Ego Attack (or a 6d6 NND, for that matter). 5d6 is okay (though I don't want to see a lot of people with 5d6 attacks that bypass normal defenses). The problem is that unless the target has mental defense, you'll regularly stun anyone who doesn't have a superhuman CON score (average roll on 6d6 is 21), and a slightly better than average roll will stun even people with a 23 or 25 CON.

Skills: Skills were still rather light in your second version. You have a DNPC that is a student of dead languages (with you as her professor), but you only bought one language besides English. You didn't even have Italian, which was spoken by the original Cagliostro. Also, without a few penalty skills levels, your EB will miss regularly at ranges of 8" or greater.

Disadvantages: You have 75 points of Psych Lims. Per the HERO rules, a 200+150 character can only have 50 pts in a single category. Also, there's no way the "smells of incense" is not concealable. There's perfumes, deoderant...even just taking a shower. If you really smell like that all the time with no way to conceal it, it'll threaten your Secret ID. I don't know about the 25 pts Illuminati hunted - that assumes there is an all-powerful Illuminati in my campaign world, and I'm not ready to commit to that. Secret ID is 15 pts, not 20. The DNPC should be 20 pts for an 11-, not 15 - and at an 11- she's going to be Cagliostro's Lois Lane.

On the whole I think I prefer to use your version as a basis rather than my last attempt. As I said, I like how it emphasizes the alchemical background of the character. I think I'll alter a few of the languages (not sure Japanese really fits, but Romanian would be appropriate), the names of the powers, and probably add a sight flash AoE to the multipower. Bright explosions are pretty standard fare for an alchemist, I think. ;)

~Gabriel

Johnny 6

Every story has a beginning, sometimes the author sets out to write it, but most often the story starts when no one is paying attention. My story is one of the latter varieties. My language arts teacher would be thrilled to see me use the word latter in a sentence. My story is all about when no one is paying attention. For years no one ever paid any attention to me, it was almost like I didn’t exist. That was when things got really interesting.

One day, just like all the rest, after school I walked home…bus driver didn’t see me again…and when I walked through the door to my folk’s apartment, I didn’t see the ratty couch or smell dad’s rank cigarette butts. Instead, I saw a world, well an ocean anyway. Strange, I know seeing an ocean in your living room; I did what any sane teenager would do, I turned around and bolted back out the door. After a few moments of “WTF?”; I calmly opened the door again fully expecting weirdness. I got the living room.

When my folks came home, I wanted to tell them about my vision, but I chickened out. Being ignored was better than being subjected to the Look. The Look is their way of saying, “Are you still here?” I went to bed that night and dreamed about the world I saw that day. Upon waking I found that my dreams were tame compared to what would happen next.

First it was running from the Three, a group of juniors that ran Eastside High, and ending up running through a geyser filled basalt field. Then it was spending a week on board an alien spaceship. I mean how do you pronounce X’haop’c anyway? Their food was good though, I mean once I’d figured out was food and what was an essential part of the ship. But, what really blew my mind was meeting me.

You see I had started to believe that I was going somewhere in this universe. When I met J%nn1, I knew he was me from elsewhen. Elsewhen is the term I invented for the infinite number of alternate universes. J%nn1 was in deep straights. A hunter-seeker algorithm from his home sector had marked him. J%nn1 was me so I couldn’t just leave him hanging. Hitting it with a hovertruck let him escape. After the chase scene was complete, J%nn1 gave me a once over, he knew we were the same too, and informed me that I had great power. “Me?” I thought “great power?”

Well, my great power was not exactly under control or reliable. It got me into way more messes than it got me out of. Still, when I was somewhere else I could matter. I could do things. People noticed me. Sometimes, as I knew too well, being noticed by the wrong sort was by far the worst option. Some of the Elsewhens were dominated by people of extreme views on personal freedom. My power it seems offers the utmost in personal freedom. Not even the laws of reality can hold me; I’m like linguini in a colander. Some of those goons still show up now and again to harass me or take me back to some training/vivisection center to cut open my brain or something. Along the way though, I met a lot of people, even a few more of me. We call each other Alters. J%nn1 came up with it, J%nn1 is the smartest Alter I know.

I’d been doing this thing for a couple of years now, but at home, I was still nobody with a capital N. That was the day I saw that bus go skidding off the road. Driver had a heart attack they said. I wanted to help, but Just Johnny was a kid with a few karate moves picked up on JB19r’s world and a quicksilvery grasp on reality. I looked around at the road and realized that it was up to me. So I called up a me…or rather an Alter, Iron John to be precise, he is the strongest Alter I know. Iron John looked at me for a moment. I know that look; I use it regularly when I arrive in some strange Elsewhen. “Get that bus!” I shouted at him, and then Iron John and I sprang into action. In seconds the bus was safe and the police were informed. It was cool, once I thought about it; I was helping out on my own world. And my power…let’s just say I found that my power would do a lot more than I previously thought.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Johnny 6 is a duplicator with 5 350 point (265+85points) duplicates

duplicate 1 -iron john brick

duplicate 2-J%nn1 genius psychic/gadgeteer

duplicate 3 -JB19r "jonny bravo" post-apocalypic gunslinger

duplicate 4 -Janni flying energy projector

duplcate 5 -Jenni/Aquagirl female Alter and minibrick

there is also a duplicate 6 but that is a duplicate that "broke free" and now wanders the catalyst universe untethered by johnny's power. They are not true enemies, but the tension is definitely there (rivalry)

All pcs are stated but I don't have HD on this pc.

This should look familiar. All I really did was reflavor a bit, and spend the two remaining points increasing his mental defense. Still, that bit of personalization helped. I gave him Arabic and Romanian instead of Japanese and Mandarin, because they fit the original Cagliostro's travels better.

I think I'll retool his background a bit now that I have more time and a complete build for reference.

[Edit: Not sure why the type went weird like this. Must be the transfer from Notepad.]

Cagliostro the Alchemist

VAL...CHA...Cost...Total...Roll......Notes

13....STR.....3.....13......12-.......HTH Damage 2 1/2d6 END [1]

20....DEX....30.....20......13-.......OCV 7 DCV 7

25....CON....30.....25......14-

13....BODY....6.....13......12-

23....INT....13.....23......14-.......PER Roll 14-

20....EGO....20.....20......13-.......ECV: 7

15....PRE.....5.....15......12-.......PRE Attack: 3d6

16....COM.....3.....16......12-

8.....PD......5.....8/21..............8/21 PD (0/13 rPD)

11....ED......6....11/24..............11/24 ED (0/13 rED)

5.....SPD....20......5................Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

10....REC.....4.....10

50....END.....0.....50

35....STUN....2.....35

6.....RUN.....0.....6"................END [1]

2.....SWIM....0.....2"................END [1]

3.....LEAP....0.....2 1/2"............2 1/2" forward, 1" upward

CHA Cost: 147

Cost...POWERS

56.....Essential Manipulations: Multipower, 70-point reserve, (70 Active Points); all slots Gestures (-1/4)

5u.....1) Trans-Aether Surge: Energy Blast 11d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (69 Active Points) - END=2

5u.....2) Abjure Anima: Energy Blast 5d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Affects Desolidified (any form of Desolidification) (+1/2), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense applies; +1) (69 Active Points); Target must have a soul (-1/4) - END=3

5u.....3) Disperse Magic: Dispel 18d6, Variable Effect: Magic (one power at a time) (+1/4) (67 Active Points) - END=7

5u.....4) Aether Walk: Teleportation 10", No Relative Velocity, Position Shift, x32 Noncombat, x8 Increased Mass (70 Active Points); Incantations (-1/4) - END=7

2u.....5) True Alchemy: Major Transform 2d6+1 (anything into anything), Improved Results Group (+1) (70 Active Points); OAF (Philosopher's Stone; -1), No Range (-1/2), 12 Charges (-1/4)

1u.....6) Elixir of Life: Healing BODY 5d6, Resurrection (70 Active Points); 1 Charge which Recovers every 1 Week (-2 1/2), OAF (Elixir; -1), Must be applied within one turn of death (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2)

3......Eyes of the Arcanist: Detect Magic 14- (Sight Group), Discriminatory (8 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Extra Time (Extra Segment, Only to Activate, -1/4) - END=1

12.....Applied Alchemy: Elemental Control, 50-point powers, (25 Active Points); all slots Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Extra Time (Extra Segment, Only to Activate, -1/4), Needs potion to activate (only) (-1/4)

12.....1) Infusion of Mettle: Force Field (10 PD/10 ED/5 Power Defense), Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), 2 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Day each (+1/2) (50 Active Points)

13.....2) Vial of Aether: Flight 13", Position Shift, x8 Noncombat, 3 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+1/4) (51 Active Points)

.......Vestments of Cagliostro, all slots IIF (Worn under clothing; -1/4)

7......1) Protective Layer: Armor (3 PD/3 ED) (9 Active Points)

8......2) Defensive Magics: +2 with DCV (10 Active Points)

3......Scholar's Focus: Mental Defense (7 points total)

POWERS Cost: 135

Cost...SKILLS

10.....+1 Overall

6......Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifier with All Attacks

3......Power: Alchemy (INT-based) 14-

3......Analyze: Magic 14-

3......Conversation 12-

3......Cryptography 14-

3......Deduction 14-

3......High Society 12-

3......Persuasion 12-

3......Linguist

1......1) Language: German (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)

3......2) Language: Italian (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

1......3) Language: Romanian (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)

3......4) Language: Latin (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

1......5) Language: Arabic (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)

3......6) Language: Sanskrit (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

3......Scholar

2......1) KS: Alchemy (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-

2......2) KS: Ancient History (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-

2......3) KS: Occult (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 14-

SKILLS Cost: 61

Cost...TALENTS

5......Eidetic Memory

TALENTS Cost: 5

Value..DISADVANTAGES

5......Dependence: Potions of Puissance - Weakness (Common, 6 Hours)

[Notes: For every time increment without a potion:

Drops STR, DEX, CON, and BODY by 3 points, to a minimum of 8.

Drops PD and ED by 3 points, to a minimum of 3.

Drops END and STUN by 6 points, to a minimum of 20.

Drops SPD by 1 point, to a minimum of 2.]

15.....Social Limitation: Secret Identity Frequently (11-), Major

10.....Social Limitation: Oaths to the Spirits (Occasionally, Major)

15.....Dependent NPC: Layla, a student infatuated with her professor 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

5......Distinctive Features: Smells of incense (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15.....Hunted: The Third Eye 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)

15.....Hunted: Mythos 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)

20.....Psychological Limitation: Oath of Life - will never kill (Common, Total)

15.....Psychological Limitation: Oath of the Lamb - will protect any innocent being that asks for his aid (Common, Strong)

15.....Psychological Limitation: Bound By Oaths - will be true to any oath he swears (Uncommon, Total)

DISADVANTAGES Points: 150

Base Pts: 200

Exp Required: 0

Total Exp Available: 0

Exp Unspent: 0

Total Character Cost: 350