Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

Fedifensor

Re: Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

Realizing that a multiple personality character (thanks btw ;)) might be a shot in the dark at this point' date=' here are Johnny 6's alters.[/quote']

Oh. My. Goodness.

Well, it's definitely fair to say you bring a lot to a team...and that's the problem. Let's take a look at what your 350-point character can do:

• Act 25 times in a 12-segment turn.
  • Unleash 5 attacks, each of 10 to 12 DC strength, in a single segment. The combined result should drop any foe short of Hiroshima (who is deceased) if they all hit.
  • The average PD/ED of your forms is 21, and the combined STUN is 217.
  • As a group, you have access to well over 100 points of noncombat skills.

As for the individual forms:

• Aquagirl is probably the weakest of your Alters, but still dishes out a 3d6+1 (10 DC) HKA and becomes amazingly effective in water.
  • J%nn1 has mental attacks stronger than Engram, who is only one character, not a group of six.
  • Janni Heatblast uses OIHD, even though as a duplicate she'll never be out of her heroic identity (and thus not a limitation). She also has 12 DC attacks with a 6 SPD, which violates campaign limits (before I add in the effectiveness of the other duplicates).
  • Iron John has the same STR as Miracle (the flying brick), and 1 better PD/ED. Granted, Miracle can increase one or the other with her multipower...but Iron John has 5 buddies.
  • JB19 is the second weakest character...but even a 2 SPD character gets to act on Phase 12, when combats start. He's also dishing out 12 DC attacks.

The combined result is not just that I'm saying no, or even HELL NO...it's that I'm going to automatically refuse Duplication characters with altered duplicates. It's just way, way, WAY too broken.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...

I thought that was what I was paying 85 points per character for...:confused:

To be quite serious though, it is upsetting to see an automatic assumption that I am a wargamer (as evidenced by the compliation of combat statistics). I am a notorious plumber, i would rather play out a dramatic scene than "tag in a little extra stun". Indeed, if there is a player out there who's instincts are to actually let the villian escape it is me.

I never even looked at the combinations of characters as a "focused whole"...in fact with the END cost and extra time I never even expected to use more than one or two alters in a scene. Heck, I didn't even buy teamwork as a skill! Maybe he could be limited to one duplicate at a time?

As to the foci/OHID limitations (realizing that the overall conversation is now absolutely moot). IMO the limitations applicable are to be interpreted as follows:

OIHID: when the character is in hero mode he has access to all powers defined as OIHID. If for instance the power that defines his OHID is unavaiable (suppressed/drained/ environmentally disallowed) the character is effectively not in hero id any more and the powers are rendered inert. example spray the human torch with flame retardant and he not only no longer on fire but he also can't fly or do anything else flame based.

Foci and duplicates: in this case the foci are creations fabricated when Johnny "summoned" his alter, but they are real creations subject to the rules governing their existence. Since Johnny's psyche maintains a stable worldview despite all the zany goings on, if the focus is broken, it will stay broken until the duplicate has a "chance" to fix it; roughly on the same order a normal focus would be recreated/fixed. Meaning is Johnny Bravo (4 speed btw is was a formating error) has his armor stripped by a goon in episode 6 and is later "sent home" with out his armor in that same episode, he would not return for the climatic battle a few hours later packing new hardware. JB19r's wasteland world just isn't littered with milspec armor laying around waiting for him according to the gospel of Johnny's disorder.

Hey' date=' how about a Multiform character with limitations such that he cannot change form in a short period of time?[/quote']

Multiform and Duplicates are seperate animals.

Duplicates can be exploited really quickly (no offense meant to Hawk). I will give a prime example: would a team of 5 supers want to fight a villian team of 5 supers who all had the abilitiy to duplicate? I would not. There is a villain group who has one member named Posse, his is a duplicate villian. How do 4 villains throwning NNDs or Entangles sound. Sounds nasty, and it is. Just because you can pay points for something does not make it balanced. BTW, I mis-read Hawk's Duplicates and "read in" multiform -- that is why I was pointing to the Foci.

Multiforms can easily fall into the same catagory, especially if each form has a whole new set of skills. If all the forms share the same "mind" and only have different combat abilities it can be... ok. The problem again arrise that with all the forms where is the weakness.

There is only one comic/manga multiform I have really like: Naurto. Now, I can't believe I am pointing to Americanized Manga, but the Naurto character does have a duplication power. And wow can he duplicate... the problem arrises that one hit and they are down. So they can do damage, but the are glass cannons so to speak. If I were to run a game and a hero wanted the power to make 20 clones (even with the disad dispelled after taking body/stun) I would still say no. The HERO system does not really do justice to the whole Duplicate abilitiy. Its overpowering for the players which makes the GMs job that much harder. In the GM compensation it is easy to over-react or under-react, making the adventure to easy or to hard.

I think for duplicates it is just better to say No. Multiforms are usual a big maybe.

Zac

Hey' date=' how about a Multiform character with limitations such that he cannot change form in a short period of time?[/quote']

A Multiform character without Duplication would be acceptable. However, when you have Duplication, your character has to be balanced for the overall effectiveness of all the characters working together. Even someone that can split into two forms needs to be balanced so the two forms working together are not significantly more powerful than another PC.

Even Multiform characters need to be looked at closely, especially if they have different capabilities that significantly increases the character's overall effectiveness. Duplication with altered duplicates, though, lets you access multiple skill sets at the same time. It also means that when I review the character, I'm actually reviewing several characters individually, then reviewing their combined effectiveness. It's simply too much work for me to bother with.

Ok did some more tweaking on Black Arachnia. This one feels more right to me hope it does to you as well. There is an explanation for her powers in her origin now.

Black Arachnia

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

30 STR 20 15- Lift 1600.0kg; 6d6 [3]

29 DEX 57 15- OCV: 10/DCV: 10

20 CON 20 13-

15 BODY 10 12-

15 INT 5 12- PER Roll 12-

10 EGO 0 11- ECV: 3

15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

16 COM 3 12-

19 PD 4 Total: 19 PD (9 rPD)

19 ED 6 Total: 19 ED (9 rED)

6 SPD 21 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

13 REC 6

50 END 5

42 STUN 2 Total Characteristic Cost: 164

Movement: Running: 9"/18"

Leaping: 6"/12"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Swinging: 20"/80"

Cost Powers END

50 Web Slinging: Multipower, 50-point reserve

4u 1) Capture Web: Entangle 3d6, 3 DEF, Backlash (+1/2) (45 Active Points) 4

5u 2) Normal Web: Entangle 5d6, 5 DEF (50 Active Points) 5

3u 3) Web Net: Entangle 3d6, 2 DEF, Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1) (50 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Common Circumstances (Requires Anchor Points; -1/2) 5

3u 4) Web Wall: FW (10 PD/8 ED; 3" long and 1" tall) (49 Active Points); Requires Anchor Points Power does not work in Common Circumstances (-1/2) 5

3u 5) Get Over Here: Stretching 10" (50 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Common Circumstances (Only to Grab People or Objects; -1/2) 5

4u 6) Swinging Along: Swinging 20", x4 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (37 Active Points)

15 Enhanced Agility: Missile Deflection (Bullets & Shrapnel)

10 Wall Crawling: Clinging (normal STR)

6 Good Runner: Running +3" (9" total) 1

Dirty Infighting

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 Block +2 +2 Block, Abort

4 Low Blow -1 +1 2d6 NND

4 Punch +0 +2 8d6 Strike

5 Two-Fisted Smash -2 +1 10d6 Strike

3 Throw +0 +1 6d6 +v/5, Target Falls

3 Legsweep +2 -1 7d6 Strike, Target Falls

Talents

18 Hard to Hit: Combat Luck (9 PD/9 ED)

Skills

3 Acrobatics 15-

3 Breakfall 15-

3 Climbing 15-

3 KS: Bible 12-

3 KS: Religions of the World 12-

2 Language: Hebrew (basic conversation; literate)

2 Language: Greek (basic conversation; literate)

3 Lipreading 12-

3 Lockpicking 15-

3 Paramedics 12-

3 Shadowing 12-

3 Sleight Of Hand 15-

3 Stealth 15-

3 Streetwise 12-

2 Survival (Urban) 12-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 186

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

10 DNPC: Pastor Jean-Paul Wagner & Diane Wagner 8- (Normal)

5 Distinctive Features: Spider Tattoo on left Shoulder (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15 Hunted: Mystery 8- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

10 Hunted: Police 11- (As Pow, NCI, Watching)

20 Hunted: Promethius 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

15 Hunted: Unnamed Crime Family 8- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

20 Psychological Limitation: Devout Christian (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: Want's to live up to her Grandfather's Legacy (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Will Not Kill (Common, Strong)

10 Social Limitation: Legal Minor (Occasionally, Major)

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Very Frequently, Minor)

Total Disadvantage Points: 150

Background/History: Alexandria Drake, sat perched on the corner of a building, looking at the city below. Her mind wandered....how different her life was now than just a few years ago. She had tried to block it out, but was unable. Her father always drunk and always hitting her and her mother. Years of abuse until it came to a head shortly after she turned twelve. She remembered only flashing images. Her father yelling at her mother, her mother yelling back saying she was taking Alex and leaving. Her father grabbing a knife, a flash of light and her mother laying on the floor in blood. She remebered her father coming for her and as she held up her hands to try to defend herself a white substance shooting from them and engulfing her father. Then she ran, she ran for what seemed like hours. Finally collapsing in an alley miles from her home. She knew she could not go back, so she would do her best to sruvive on her own. Experimenting, she taught herself how to use her webbing, learned that she could cling to walls like a spider and learned that her strength had increased as well. She had been pearched on a wall in an alley,eating some fruit she had 'obtained' from a street vendor with her webbing when she noticed a guy drag an old woman into the alley. Alex decided to help her, dropping down she grabbed the man, and to her surprise, when she pulled him off he went flying into the wall on the opposite side of the alley. The woman thanked her and gave her some money. At that point, Alex decided to use her powers to help people. She used the money the woman had gave her to buy some clothes, a purple t-shirt wirh a spidre on it and a pari of black pants and made them into a make shift costume. Over the next few years she taught herself how to fight and at fifteen talked a tatoo artist into tatooing a spider on her left shoulder blade. Alex's life took nother turn just before her sixteenth birthday, she had heard that a gang was going to break in and trash a church and she decided to stop them. She caught them trying to break into the pastors office, she tried to fight them off, but their sheer number overwhelmed her. The next thing she remembered was waking up in the hosrpital to the sight of a man and his wife looking over her. He told her that he was the pastor of the church and wondered if she was all right. She told him of the break in and how she had tried to stop it. He thanked her and asked if could call her parents. Alex had explained her whole situation and the pastor asked if she would like to come live with them and their two children and she agreed. Just a few weeks after moving in Alex had her G.E.D. and few weeks after that the pastor led her to her salvation through Christ. She developed a hunger for knowledge about the bible and the pastor begand to teach her more aobut it as well as Greek and Hebrew. She also was curious about her powers, so the pastor helped her research her family, they soon found her maternal grandfather, who was believed dead, in a Veteran's hospital and learned that he had been part of the Catalyst project, he had been an active prime during the Vietnam war and was known as Recluse, and the gene had skipped her mother and manifested itself in Alex. After praying for weeks about what to do with her powers , Alex approached the pastor and his wife and told them that she felt that God wanted her to continue to use them to help people and they agreed. The pastor's wife made her a costume and his children gave her a name.

A scream rang out and brought Alex out of her thought. :"No more victims." she said and swung off towards the sound of the scream.

Appearance: Alex is an attractive 16 year old girl with red hair and green eyes. Her normal street clothes are jeans and a t-shirt.

Feedback - Black Arachnia

Characteristics: These look good, except that you have 6 PD/6 ED outside of the Combat Luck, despite being obviously superhuman in other areas. I would take this to 10 PD/10 ED, which would give you a total of 19 PD and 19 ED. I'm okay with that level of defense if your STUN score is dropped to compensate (to the 40-45 range).

Powers: These also look good. If you eventually want to add the Web Ball (EB) back, I think you could do it as a STUN-only EB.

Skills: Good selection of skills.

Disadvantages: Will all four members of the family be getting into danger around you, or do you want to focus on the ones most likely to do so? If you keep the disadvantage at x4 DNPCs, any of the four, including the kids, could be put in harm's way. The police are only As Powerful as a Watched. The organized crime family is only going to be As Powerful...the only criminal organization that has the tech and resources to be More Powerful as a hunted (to a 350-pt superhero) is the Dealer and his minions. He may not be the best fit for your background.

Final Thoughts: I think we're close to a final submission, here.

To be quite serious though, it is upsetting to see an automatic assumption that I am a wargamer (as evidenced by the compliation of combat statistics). I am a notorious plumber, i would rather play out a dramatic scene than "tag in a little extra stun". Indeed, if there is a player out there who's instincts are to actually let the villian escape it is me.

I never even looked at the combinations of characters as a "focused whole"...in fact with the END cost and extra time I never even expected to use more than one or two alters in a scene. Heck, I didn't even buy teamwork as a skill! Maybe he could be limited to one duplicate at a time?

It's obvious you know the basics of the HERO system - looking at how each of the duplicates were built proves that. Iron John, Janni Heatblast, and J%nn1 are each built to be nearly as effective in combat as the other characters submitted in this thread. So, yes, based on that, I assumed that it was intended they be that effective. There's no limitations on how many duplicates you can have out at a time, so I have to assume it was intended that you would have them all active at once.

Even if you limited how many were out at once, the fact remains that you've built a character that makes most of the other PCs obsolete in noncombat situations...between the duplicates, your available skills for a situation are simply staggering. Add to the fact that just two of the three combat-heavy duplicates (the ones mentioned above) working together could take out most of the characters submitted here, and there is absolutely no way I can approve that submission.

So, this may sound harsh, but I don't want this character in my game. Duplication characters are hard enough to balance...a character with different stats for each duplicate is even worse. Feel free to submit something different, and I'll be happy to give it full consideration. However, I'm saying no to Johnny 6.

Hah! I like the Timmverse version' date=' excepting the cape. I tried getting the program you used to load, but apparently my computer doesn't like it. Too bad, really; I was looking forward to translating the Portugeuse.[/quote']

You might need to update your flash player. Also, I use Firefox - I don't know how well the program works in IE. All I do is double-click the fabrica.html file, and Firefox automatically runs the program in the browser.

The physical appearance of Cagliostro is based somewhat on Doctor Gotham of Shadowpact fame, but also on a gentleman's traveling cloak of the Napoleonic era. I dunno; it just seemed appropriate somehow.

I have those comics. :)

Final post until tomorrow night. I updated the list of submissions (post #102 in this thread). If you're still awaiting feedback or have questions, please let me know. There's been a lot of posts over the past few days, and it's quite possible I missed someone while trying to keep up.

I have those comics. :)

I really liked that run of Shadowpact! The art was nice, Zauriel fit the group nicely, and Doctor Gotham was an extremely memorable villain. I thought the whole thing was just generally handled well.

Insider fact: when I was first tooling around with the hero machine, trying to come up with a look for Cagliostro, I kept ending up with something that looked like a young Doctor Gotham. Finally I just said, 'hell with it,' and went with that. It seemed to be the only appearance my brain wanted for him. :o

~Gabriel

Hey Fed I altered the last post I made' date=' check out the alters Disads and let me know if they need to be changed more.[/quote']

Looks good. I would stipulate that you revealed your powers to your maternal grandfather, who then told you about his background. Even after supers went public, information about the years when they were secret is hard to come by. Other than that, I think your submission is as good as we can get it.

Looks good. I would stipulate that you revealed your powers to your maternal grandfather' date=' who then told you about his background. Even after supers went public, information about the years when they were secret is hard to come by. Other than that, I think your submission is as good as we can get it.[/quote']

I agree that she would have told him. All right, when did you say you were going to make a decision?

I agree that she would have told him. All right' date=' when did you say you were going to make a decision?[/quote']

There's a convention this weekend, so I'm allowing applications until Friday, February 20th. I'll announce the new team the following Monday. Those with final submissions can go ahead and apply on Hero Central if they wish - I'll approve or reject them after the 20th.

Fedifensor' date=' I have also made the changes to Animax (Feral?)[/quote']

Okay, I looked over the changes. I feel like there's a problem with the build, but because I proposed an alternative build (which I still prefer) I wanted a second opinion. So I turned to one of the players already accepted for the game, and here is that opinion (slightly edited for grammar and to protect the player's identity):

Animax just feels weird right now and needs some serious looking into.

I feel like he needs a strong "animal" baseline with some differences

here and there. Last time I looked his character really vacillated

wildly between abilities in forms. Couple that with Martial Arts and

the damage swing for a 6 speed was pretty huge.

The REAL problem is the martial arts. If he dropped the martial arts

he could do more with the forms.

Now, I don't necessarily agree that dropping the martial arts is the right way to go, and you dropped the character to a 5 SPD so I'm not as worried about the 12d6 kick in Ape form (though the 10 DCV combined with the damage output is a little worrisome). However, I think you are hamstringing yourself by limiting the character to just one aspect of one animal at a time. You have several forms that just aren't mechanically viable in a typical combat, and I suspect you will fall back on Ape's Strength most of the time. This is why I tried to make all of the forms in my suggested build viable for combat...you're a defender of the jungle, and I want to see you switching between a variety of animals (like Vixen does).

I predict that you will almost never use Cheetah, Condor, Crocodile, Lizard, or Tiger in combat (especially with a Code Versus Killing). Even Rhino isn't all that useful - you can't use a martial maneuver when you're using Move-By or Move-Through, so the DCV penalty leaves you wide open, and the OCV penalty also makes it hard to hit. That leaves Ape, Python (when you're using Choke Hold), or Turtle (which is good for defense, but makes your attacks useless against anything except agents). Lion can be the slot you have at the very start of the battle, but as soon as you make your Presence attack there's no reason to keep the MP in that slot.

Finally, at a 5 SPD and 26 DEX, you could use to raise your defenses a few points (perhaps to 21 average between PD and ED). With a lower SPD, you'll have less phases to spend on Dodge or Dive for Cover, making the 18 defenses more of a hindrance.

Fed' date=' was it your intention to have the Mystery Villains remain unknown until they make an appearance? I've had an idea for Cagliostro's arch-nemesis...[/quote']

We can switch it if you have a good idea for your nemesis. I can always use more bad guys. :)

Doc,

I am with Fedifensor as far as the Monster Bug goes, so tone down the monster in the bug. In a world of Primes, something like this is not immediately a "Its a HUGE bug! Run for your lives!" kind of world (like ours). Start to snack on people at an all you can eat, sure the military is going to come rolling in. However, since you don't plan on playing that way... make some sacrifices.

Maybe keep the cant speak option, but who is to say you could not have telepathy with a touch, or some other way to communicate. What if you antenna could do the talking for you? They could vibrate in such a way (at close range) it was picked up by the human ear as something audible, but only in one person's head (directional, very short range). Would be a bummer for hero's with different anatomy... so you may have to carry a whiteboard with you :P

Also, this concept feels very Ben-10'ish.. which is not a bad thing. Could you change into other Weird forms later?

Thebes is gonna need a Brick and this BUG really seems to fit the bill. If Fed's game is a wash... keep the bug in mind. With some tweeks you could drop the Frankenstein Agnst and come up with a winner.

Zac

I think I am going to take your advice and keep the same concept but less monstrous and scary. I created a few pics of what I think a much more human version of the character would look like. Based on the attached pics, would you guys say the character still too monstrous? If not, I'll do a revamp of his background and disads to make him less scary. Thanks.

[EDIT] Pics moved to a post below

Okay, most of the character is pretty much the same so let's compare the my multipower to yours.

3u 1) Animal Mastery: Mind Control 8d6 (Animal class of minds), Telepathic (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (60 Active Points); Limited Class Of Minds Non-Aquatic (-1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4)

4u 1) King of the Jungle: Mind Control 7 1/2d6 (Animal class of minds), Telepathic (+1/4) (47 Active Points); Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4) - END=5

Pretty much a wash here.

1u 2) Ape's Strength: +20 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Lockout (-1/2)

3u 2) Ape: (Total: 47 Active Cost, 34 Real Cost) +15 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Visible (-1/4) (Real Cost: 12) plus Leaping 5" (Accurate), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points) (Real Cost: 15) plus

Swinging 10" (10 Active Points); Must be adjacent to surface at end of action (-1/2) (Real Cost: 7)

My Ape form is simply damage. If I want movement, I have to switch. You've added movement to my Ape form, making me less likely to have to switch to Cheetah to get around. Remember my version, base running is 7", yours is 10".

4u 3) Cheetah's Speed: (Total: 50 Active Cost, 44 Real Cost) +6 DEX (18 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) (Real Cost: 12) plus Running 16" (Real Cost: 32)

4u 3) Cheetah: (Total: 46 Active Cost, 38 Real Cost) +6 DEX (18 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Visible (-1/4) (Real Cost: 10) plus Running 7", x4 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (28 Active Points) (Real Cost: 28)

This is close to a wash, yours does 1d6 more damage, mine has more combat running.

1u 4) Condor's Flight: Gliding 20" (20 Active Points); Lockout (-1/2)

4u 4) Condor: (Total: 47 Active Cost, 44 Real Cost) +3 DEX (9 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) (Real Cost: 6) plus Flight 7" (Real Cost: 14) plus Gliding 19", x4 Noncombat (Real Cost: 24)

My problem with yours is more concept. I just can't see him standing there flapping his arms to take off. I just doesn't work for me.

2u 5) Python's Grip: +40 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Only for Grabs and Sqeeze (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)

2u 7) Python: +30 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Only for Grabs (including Squeeze) (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Visible (-1/4)

This is pretty much a wash too, although with yours, I have an 85 STR for holding on (25 STR, +30 For Python, +30 For Martial Grab), we both do 11d6 Squeeze, and mine is only 60 STR to hold on.

1u 6) Lion's Courage: +20 PRE (20 Active Points); Lockout (-1/2)

4u 5) Lion: (Total: 47 Active Cost, 41 Real Cost) +5 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (7 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Visible (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) plus +15 PRE (15 Active Points); Visible (-1/4) (Real Cost: 12) plus Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 1/2d6 (3d6+1 w/STR) (vs. PD) (Real Cost: 25)

You've combined Tiger into Lion. When I get to Tiger, I'll explain why I like mine better. Although you're right, I don't see me using lion very often.

5u 7) Crocodile's Body: (Total: 55 Active Cost, 55 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (1d6+1 w/STR), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Damage Shield (Offensive; +3/4), Continuous (+1) (45 Active Points) (Real Cost: 45) plus Swimming 10" (Real Cost: 10)

You don't have a Croc, but this was actually more for the Swimming than the Damage Shield (although it will be effective against Grabs).

2u 8) Lizard's Healing: (Total: 44 Active Cost, 25 Real Cost) Healing 1 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Lockout (-1/2) (Real Cost: 11) plus +7 REC (Real Cost: 14)

3u 6) Lizard: (Total: 46 Active Cost, 26 Real Cost) +8 REC (16 Active Points); Visible (-1/4) (Real Cost: 13) plus Healing 1 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4) (Real Cost: 13)

Again pretty much the same. I have 1 less REC, although looking at it now, I'm not sure why. I could make it exactly the same. The difference is your build is 1 more DC to attack, but we agree this is what I use when I want to take a recovery.

4u 9) Tiger's Limbs: (Total: 52 Active Cost, 45 Real Cost) +10 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) (Real Cost: 10) plus Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (2d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points) (Real Cost: 22) plus Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points); Cannot Resist Knockback (-1/4) (Real Cost: 8) plus Leaping 5" (Real Cost: 5)

You also don't have a Tiger, you added it to the Lion, which I suppose I could, but the reason I like this form is actually the clinging (which you may have added as a base power like his senses). It gives him a 10d6 attack 11" leaping, with clinging allowing him to get altitude for his gliding. I really see me using this a lot.

3u 10) Rhino's Charge: (Total: 56 Active Cost, 27 Real Cost) Force Field (13 PD) (13 Active Points); Only vs Move-Through/by Damage (-1) (Real Cost: 6) plus Running 3" (Real Cost: 6) plus Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (37 Active Points); Only for Move-By/Through Damage (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 15)

2u 8) Rhino: (Total: 45 Active Cost, 18 Real Cost) Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (37 Active Points); Only for damage with Move-By/Move-Through (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 15) plus +8 PD (8 Active Points); Only versus damage taken while performing Move-By/Move-Through (-1), Visible (-1/4) (Real Cost: 3)

Again it's a wash. 10" running, same damage, I have more defense vs. Move through damage.

2u 11) Turttle's Shell: Armor (12 PD/12 ED) (36 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Reduces DEX by 5; -1/2)

3u 9) Turtle: (Total: 45 Active Cost, 32 Real Cost) Armor (10 PD/10 ED) (30 Active Points); Side Effects (Reduces DEX by 5; -1/4), Visible (-1/4) (Real Cost: 20) plus Power Defense (15 points) (15 Active Points); Visible (-1/4) (Real Cost: 12)

Same defense, you have 1DC more of attack power.

When you break it down like that, they really aren't that different. All I've changed is things that I think fit better with his concept. The Lion form may needed some added functionality. What about if I add 10 STR and some Mental Defense?

I think I am going to take your advice and keep the same concept but less monstrous and scary. I created a few pics of what I think a much more human version of the character would look like. Based on the attached pics' date=' would you guys say the character still too monstrous? If not, I'll do a revamp of his background and disads to make him less scary. Thanks.[/quote']

I like the pic, are you still looking at a single horn, one horn or two horns (one behind the other). I think the one behind the other would be good... on between your eyes and the other in the middle of your forhead. The when people ask you, "How do you see around that huge horn?" You reply, "What horn." :P

As far as monsterous goes, no. I think you need to define some of his armor as carapace/shell. Missle deflection (anything) would be a good power too... you see the baddie powering up the laser cannon and turn your back to them, letting your carapace deflect the blow rather harmlessly. So, you can be tough as nails (with ranged attacks anyway) when you see it coming. Also, I think some real wings would be a nice add (those beatles can fly). There are some "real wing" disads out there to bring the points down some. It would be good in a multipower... I mean if you are flying your really hard armor is up out of the way. I think you could add a few more powers in there for color.

Revamp Rhino and put his HDC file up on the boards. I would like to look him over. Again, Thebes need a brick and this screams it in stero.

Zac

I like the pic' date=' are you still looking at a single horn, one horn or two horns (one behind the other). I think the one behind the other would be good... on between your eyes and the other in the middle of your forhead. The when people ask you, "How do you see around that huge horn?" You reply, "What horn." :P[/quote']

I like the horn in the center look (like Grond) better myself but I didn't see anything like that in the programs I used to create the pics.

As far as monsterous goes' date=' no. I think you need to define some of his armor as carapace/shell. Missle deflection (anything) would be a good power too... you see the baddie powering up the laser cannon and turn your back to them, letting your carapace deflect the blow rather harmlessly. So, you can be tough as nails (with ranged attacks anyway) when you see it coming. Also, I think some real wings would be a nice add (those beatles can fly). There are some "real wing" disads out there to bring the points down some. It would be good in a multipower... I mean if you are flying your really hard armor is up out of the way. I think you could add a few more powers in there for color.[/quote']

Good stuff here, I'll see what I can do.

Revamp Rhino and put his HDC file up on the boards. I would like to look him over. Again, Thebes need a brick and this screams it in stero.

Zac

I'll update him and post him again for consideration. Thank you.

Here is the updated sheet for Rhino Beetle. I changed his background so that it is a little less generic. If it seems familiar, it is because it is a loose homage to The Fly (just substitute a Desolidification accident for the Teleportation accident). I took several of Zac's suggestions and incorporated them into the stats.

[edit]Scrapped again

We can switch it if you have a good idea for your nemesis. I can always use more bad guys. :)

Aha! Excellent.

I couldn't help but write something about their first encounter. This took place when Alessandro was still living in Italy, working on his doctorate. He had just recently been exposed to the philosopher's stone, and did not yet fully understand everything that had happened to him. The panic of trying to keep up with his work and come to grips with the craggy 18th century alchemist who seemed to be intruding on his thoughts was only compounded when he found himself being hunted by an implacable superhuman.

It's not very long, but I don't think it needs to be.

Several Years Ago, in Genoa, Italy

'Young man, I will permit you a moment in which to comport your soul for Judgement!'

Crouched behind a crumbling wall that must have been centuries old, Alessandro Pizzetti gasped air into his lungs as loudly as he dared. For all of the endurance Cagliostro's potions granted him, his flight from the elderly man had nearly exhausted him. Casting about for an avenue of escape, he raised his voice again in one last supplication.

'Please, Father! Tell me why you are doing this? How have I offended you?'

The high, smooth voice seemed to come from every direction, echoing off the cold stone edifices. It was smooth, effortless, as though the elderly man had not just chased him through several miles of tight alleyways.

'Maleficos non patieres vivere. Resign yourself, my son.'

'Father! I am no witch! I ha- '

Between one word and the next, a gleam of silver appeared in the darkness, and the young man threw himself to one side. His desperation saved his life. Where he had crouched moments before, a line of bright metallic fragments stood out from the stone wall, having perforated it deeply. Leaping to his feet, the young man sprinted down an avenue and rounded a corner. The tap of his footsteps disappeared abruptly, and it was long moments before another sound pierced the damp stillness of the moonlit night. An older man, slight and robed, stepped slowly down the younger man's path. Turning the corner, he came into the light and stopped. Long, unkempt graying hair hung past his shoulders, and an antique rosary belted his robe at the waist. The old man did nothing but stand there in the peaceful silence of the street, his head tilted as though listening to the chirrup of the crickets. Finally, he nodded to himself and almost smiled.

'Gone.'

Another long minute passed as the old man cocked his head again, listening to something beyond the ken of other mortals.

'Ah, but you and I shall meet again. My dear Count di Cagliostro, the hunt has just begun!'

Background:

Father Santiago

Background:

An elderly Spanish Dominican who collapsed mysteriously while handling a silver cross in one of the Vatican's reliquaries. While doctors assumed that he'd simply had a seizure, the old man was convinced that he'd experienced an epiphany. Abandoning his clerical work, he set out to fulfill what he believed was his true calling. Since then, he's murdered a number of Primes whose abilities seemed to be magical (even if they really weren't).

Powers:

He has three closely related abilities. First, he can turn any nonliving material into silver with a touch. Second, he can manipulate silver with a thought, changing its shape or moving it remotely. Third, nearly all of his metabolic processes have been tainted by the presence of silver; his skeleton is entirely composed of it, and his blood is tainted with silver nitrate. Owing to the resonance of his metallic bones, he has an incredible sense of hearing, able to detect vibrations in the ground or air far beyond the normal audible range.