Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

Fedifensor

Re: Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

* Skills - I'm looking for 30+ points of noncombat skills/perks. Miracle's xharacter sheet should be looked to as an example. She has 26 pts of noncombat skills and a 2 pt Weapon Familarity included for flavor, plus 14 points of perks. I consider that to be on the low side of what I prefer. If you have less than that, you may want to pull points from elsewhere and think about what skills and perks you can add.

I nixed one of my EC slots, one of my MP slots and some of my purchased END and wound up with 29 more points worth of noncombat skills and perks, for a total of 49 points.

I'll post an updated version as soon as I get a free moment to do so.

OT: How are you liking your G1? Had they released it on Verizon, I'd have been one of the first in line...

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Characteristics: 122

8 STR 18

30 DEX 20

16 CON 18

8 BODY 14

8 INT 18

26 EGO 23

5 PRE 20

2 COM 14

1 PD 5

1 ED 5

10 SPD 4

0 REC 8

7 END 50

0 STUN 32

Powers: 179

50 MP: Mental Manipulation (50 Point Pool)

5u 1) Mental Hands: Telekinesis - STR 26, Fine Manipulation (49) - 5 END

5u 2) Mental Strike: Ego Attack - 5D6 (50) - 5 END

4u 3) Mental Paralysis: Entangle - 2D6, Based on ECV, vs EGO not STR, No

Damage from Physical Attacks, Cannot form Barriers (50) - 5 END

3u 4) Alter Emotions: 10D6 Mind Control, Only to Alter or Inflict Emotions (50)

- 5 END

2u 5) Empathic Healing: 5D6 Simplified Healing, Only on Others, Side Effect -

Takes 1/2 of damage that is healed (50) - 5 END

20 EC: Mental Powers (40 Active Points)

20 1) Mind Reading: 8D6 Telepathy (40) - 4 END

10 2) Mind Finding: 8D6 Mind Scan (40), Only to Establish Telepathic

Communication or Mink Link (-1) - 4 END

20 3) Telekinetic Shield: 16 PD/ 16 ED Force Field, Costs END only to activate (40)

- 4 END Activation

10 4) Telekinetic Levitation: 16” Flight, Costs END only to active, 25 meter maximum

altitude (-1/2), No Noncombat Multiple (-1/2) (40) - 4 END Activation

20 5) Precognitive Dodge: + 8 DCV (40) - 0 END, Constant

10 Mink Link: Any One Person, Linked to Mind Finding (-1/2) - 0 END

Skills, Talents and Perks: 49

Skills:

3 Scholar

2 KS: American Literature, 12-

1 KS: English Literature, 11-

2 KS: American History, 12-

1 KS: Modern European History, 11-

2 KS: Known Supers, 12-

3 Conversation,

3 Persuasion

3 Streetwise

3 Analyze: Mental Powers

3 Deduction

3 Scientist

1 SS: Biology

1 SS: Biochemistry

1 SS: Metabiology

1 SS: Psychology

2 AK: Denver/Boulder Corridor

3 Language: Spanish (Fluent, slight accent)

Everyman Skills

0 1) Acting 8-

0 2) AK: United States 8-

0 3) Climbing 8-

0 4) Concealment 8-

0 5) Conversation 8-

0 6) Deduction 8-

0 7) Language: English (Idiomatic, native accent) (4 Active Points)

0 8) Paramedics 8-

0 9) Persuasion 8-

0 10) PS: Cook - Mexican Food 8-

0 11) Shadowing 8-

0 12) Stealth 8-

0 13) TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles, Small Rowed Boats

1 Access: CSU Metahuman Studies Lab

1 Computer Link: CSU Metahuman Studies Database

9 Contact: Metahuman Studies team, 11-, secret id only, useful skills,

group

Disadvantages: 150

15 DNPC: Dr. Masterson, mentor and lover, slightly less powerful, unaware of

secret ID, 11-

25 DNPC: Family, mom, dad and six siblings, normals, unaware of secret ID,

large group, 8-

15 Psych Lim: Monophobia, fear of being alone, worse when he’s unable to

at least contact someone with mind link or telepathy, common, strong

20 Psych Lim: Entirely in love with Dr. Masterson, would do anything for her,

common, total

15 Psych Lim: Gregarious, chatty and talkative with everyone around him, wants

to be everyone’s friend and the life of the party, common, strong

15 Social Lim: Secret Identity, Armando Gonzales, Frequent, Major

15 Vulnerability: 1.5xBODY, 2xSTUN from sonic attacks (Uncommon)

15 Hunted: Metahuman Studies Department (Less Powerful, NCI, Easy to find

Watching, 11-)

15 Hunted: Fraternity House (Less Powerful, NCI, Easy to find, Watching, 11-)

Please see my submission below. He is based off of a character I made for a Teen Champs game I never got to play, Kid Grond. I picture the character looking like a cross between an Umber Hulk and a Thri-Kreen from another game system, references attached.

[edit] Submission withdrawn

Please see my submission below. He is sort of a mixture of Grond and Ben 10 (but with only one form). He is based off of a character I made for a Teen Champs game I never got to play in' date=' Kid Grond. The background needs a little more fleshing out. I picture the character looking a cross between an Umber Hulk and a Thri-Kreen from another game system, references attached. I'm not sure I'm up to playing a 10 year old so I am thinking about making the character older.[/quote']

Overall it looks ok, but 25/25 defenses and 50% Damage Resistance is WAY to powerful. The standard is 11 DC, 25/25 def, 5 spd, and 23 dex.

Also, buying yourself down so much in your civilian ID is going to be murder 25% of the time. Those Agents throw one stun gernade into the crowd and you are toast. Speaking as one of the suits, American Steel, I know we are going to get some into some trouble in our Secret ID. I bet your bottom dollar the first combat in the first adventure will be in normal ID. Now, you can change in an instant... but going from Ben to Behemoth is not going to get you any points for your Secret ID :(

Martial Arts, layering defenses (IIF - body suit, then OIF - Power Armor), and taking higher physical stats is not the point effective way to go. Making a normal (or a weakling) and dropping everything into the suit is the point happy way to do things. However, I will be able to hold my own for a phase or two if Agents decided I have a big target on my chest.

I have gamed with Fedifensor before, and if you have a 1/4 disad on a power AND limitations (Secret ID, etc)... you bet it will come up.

Fair warning...

BTW, I like the concept. The antenna as smell and other "buggy" effects is very neat.

Okay, my home internet connection has been restored, so I can reply in more detail. I'd also like to correct something I said earlier (when I was posting from my G1). I said that Miracle had 26 pts of noncombat skills, a 2 pt 'flavor' Weapon Familiarity, and 14 pts of perks, and she was on the low side of what I prefer. What I meant was that her 26 points of skills was on the low side...but that is balanced out by having several points in perks (which I consider similar to noncombat skills). I'm not expecting everyone to have 40+ points in skills and perks, though I won't complain if you do.

It's become apparent that I need to put together a house rules document. I didn't think I'd need one, but it appears that certain stopsign and "GM permission" powers are used more liberally that I thought. Zac already pointed out one - Damage Reduction. I can say pretty definitively that I will not be allowing Damage Reduction for PCs. 50% Damage Reduction is basically doubling your CON and STUN totals versus the type of attack it protects against. To allow it, a character's defenses would have to be lowered a LOT. Until I have time to create a house rules document, I'll address the specific problems as I give feedback for each character.

OT: How are you liking your G1? Had they released it on Verizon' date=' I'd have been one of the first in line...[/quote']

It's pretty nice. I can do anything on the HERO boards except reply to a HERO Central post - the entry field doesn't show up when I choose Reply to Post. I can reply to posts on the normal boards...but since the text entry box is larger than the screen, I have trouble seeing what I'm typing some of the time. Plus, trying to highlight and replace with the tiny trackball is an exercise in frustration. That's why I didn't try to make long feedback posts while my home internet was out.

Normal web browsing works pretty well - it does a great job of rendering websites so they fit the screen, or at least so I can scroll to read everything. Definitely better than the iPhone, at least for me. The physical keyboard is a huge advantage.

Okay, back on topic. I'm going to try to reply to as many submissions as possible tonight, but it may take a day or two to catch up.

Concept: A dragon multiform character, whose strengths rely upon versatility. However, the dragons are usually restless when they are out, and the rage is not easy to control; most of the forms would have an Enraged, and there's an Accidental Change 14- when he hits 0 BODY in his normal form...

Background: There are some people who delved into the mystical side of things since the 80's. Inevitably, at least one of these is a supervillain. And humanity's obsession with dragons has not been lessened.

So when said supervillain decided to excavate a place he'd discovered called the Cave of Dragons, he was surprised to discover, not living dragons, but dragons made of shining crystal, either long dead or never living. But there was one... A whelp, caught in crystal.

The order was to excavate it.

The first thing the dragon could remember was a great sound and light and slowly coming awake... And getting shot by a henchman.

The body count was amazing; they had cornered a scared animal and deserved what they got. Slowly, the carnage he had wrought slowly made itself clear to him in his fuzzy memories of the event. He swore never to kill again.

Such a pity everything is trying to kill him...

Feedback - Engram

Characteristics: Overall, they look fine. In fact, dropping to a 4 SPD may hurt effectiveness. I did see one mistake - spending 5 pts on PRE should get you a 15, not a 20. But no major problems in this area.

Powers: There are three areas I want to cover here - the multipower, the elemental control, and the mind link.

The multipower looks good. I was going to object strongly to the Drain EGO, but with that out of the picture there's no problem.

The elemental control...okay, there are a few issues here. First, on a simply mechanical level, I would drop the mind scan to 5d6 and include (as part of the same slot) +8 ECV with Mind Scan. The current limitation on it doesn't match the book - instead, you should have the -1/2 limitation "cannot attack through lock-on" (5ER pg 207).

Second, I feel the "costs END only to activate" limitation should only be used when the power involves a long-term change that is easy to maintain - Growth and Shapeshift would be two examples. I don't see a force field or flight being long-term changes, especially considering the special effects. What this is doing is basically getting nearly the full benefit of 0 END for half the advantage cost. Change both to 1/2 END (+1/4).

Third, "no noncombat multiple" is only a -1/4 limitation (5ER pg 125), and I would argue that the flight ceiling of 25 meters (12 1/2 hexes) is also only a -1/4 limitation...though I'll have to do some research on that.

Fourth, the +8 DCV. This is a BIG no-no. That gives you a 15 DCV total. With the typical OCV of a villain between 7 and 10, an opponent will only hit you a fraction of the time (5- on 3d6, assuming a 9 OCV). In addition, I do not allow buying skills in an elemental control, period, end of story. This needs to be dropped. You can buy a few levels outside the EC, but I have to balance how often the typical foe will hit you with how how much damage the typical attack will do when it hits.

Finally, your one remaining power. If you can use Mind Scan to set up a Mind Link, then drop the Mind Scan and maintain that link, it's only a -1/4 limitation (at best).

Skills and Perks: I haven't had time to go through them one by one, but they look good for the most part. I am a bit uncomfortable with a 9 pt contact, especially since we need to define what that contact can do. I would recommend taking the head of the Metahuman Studies group instead of taking the group as a whole. When you take a group, the expectation is that each and every member of the group is at your beck and call on a successful roll. That is why Miracle only has the police chief as a contact, not the entire police department. Granted, she's one of the few PCs that could eventually justify having the entire agency as a contact, but it's not going to happen just yet.

Disadvantages: We're going to have to talk about the role of the Metahuman Studies department in the game. For starters, I'd like it moved from CSU to a college inside Silverstone, so you're not out of town whenever it comes up as a plot point.

The DNPCs are a big problem. For starters, Dr. Masterson is 35 pts worth of your disadvantages, and buying the psych lim as a Total is a problem. If I decide to do something like turning her into a supervillain (and, as 35 pts of disads, I'd strongly consider it), your character could become unplayable. Remember, you can't even make an EGO roll to resist at the Total level. Buying the psych lim at Strong would be a better choice. Second, buying six DNPCs, even at the 8- level, under one umbrella disadvantage means you'll have a family member in danger or threatening your Secret ID all the time.

Third, I'm not happy with the 30 points of Watched from what seem to be sympathetic or irrelevant organizations (Metahuman Studies and Frat house).

Finally, there's the big elephant in the room - your Secret ID. How can you have a Secret ID when your family and Dr. Masterson know about your telepathy?!? This makes no sense. Mentalists aren't common in the Catalyst universe (or, for that matter, in the Champions universe), and it's not going to be hard to make that connection when you put on spandex...

I would highly recommend adjusting your disads. Feel free to put a mystery hunteds instead of one of the watched disads, take the full 50 points of Psych Lims to better define your personality, and try not to concentrate too heavily on one thing...because if it's a large part of your disad total, I will hammer you on it.\

I'm not saying the character is bad - there are several aspects I like. But, based on the version you submitted, it needs a good bit of work to fit the campaign. I'm willing to work with you to get the character to where I need it to be - let me know what you think.

First and foremost, Fedifensor, I never take offense on a character critique. It's been some time since I was a regular role player, and I'm sure to make mistakes, both technical and glaring tactical mistakes. And besides, it's your world - you make the rules.

I will take everything you included and the character as he sits, and submit a version 2.0 to you. Probably tonight, but we'll see how quickly I can make everything work. In the long run, he'll be a tighter, better character with more than two dimensions.

Okay, here's version 2.0. I thought I'd need more time on his Disads, but they're here now

Do you know, I never knew about the other Advantages and Limitations in that part of the 5th Ed rules until today? I've been missing out! I always turn right to the section on Limitations when I wanted to look one up, and had no idea there was this whole trove of other limitations.

Anyway, here he is, one more time. One question I definitely have - I sacrificed some EGO for SPD. I'm curious if you think the points are better spent that way...

Characteristics: 124

8 STR 18

30 DEX 20

16 CON 18

8 BODY 14

8 INT 18

20 EGO 20

5 PRE 15

0 COM 10

1 PD 5

1 ED 5

20 SPD 5

0 REC 8

7 END 50

0 STUN 32

Powers: 183

50 MP: Mental Manipulation (50 Point Pool)

5u 1) Mental Hands: Telekinesis - STR 26, Fine Manipulation (49) - 5 END

5u 2) Mental Strike: Ego Attack - 5D6 (50) - 5 END

4u 3) Mental Paralysis: Entangle - 2D6, Based on ECV, vs EGO not STR, No

Damage from Physical Attacks, Cannot form Barriers (50) - 5 END

3u 4) Alter Emotions: 10D6 Mind Control, Only to Alter or Inflict Emotions (50)

- 5 END

2u 5) Empathic Healing: 5D6 Simplified Healing, Only on Others, Side Effect -

Takes 1/2 of damage that is healed (50) - 5 END

20 EC: Mental Powers (40 Active Points)

20 1) Mind Reading: 8D6 Telepathy (40) - 4 END

16 2) Mind Finding: 5D6 Mind Scan, Cannot Attack Through Lock, plus

+8 ECV with Mind Scan (41) - 4 END

20 3) Telekinetic Shield: 16 PD/ 16 ED Force Field, 1/2 END (40)

- 2 END

13 4) Telekinetic Levitation: 16” Flight, 1/2 END, 25 meter maximum

altitude (-1/4), No Noncombat Multiple (-1/4) (40) - 2 END

10 Precognitive Dodge: + 3 DCV, Activation 14-

15 Mink Link: Any One Person - 0 END

Skills, Talents and Perks: 43

3 Scholar

2 KS: American Literature, 12-

1 KS: English Literature, 11-

2 KS: American History, 12-

1 KS: Modern European History, 11-

2 KS: Known Supers, 12-

3 Conversation, 12-

3 Persuasion, 12-

3 Streetwise, 12-

3 Analyze: Mental Powers, 13-

3 Deduction, 13-

3 Scientist

1 SS: Biology, 11-

1 SS: Biochemistry, 11-

1 SS: Metabiology, 11-

1 SS: Psychology, 11-

2 AK: Denver/Boulder Corridor, 11

3 Language: Spanish (Fluent, slight accent)

Everyman Skills

0 1) Acting 8-

0 2) AK: United States 8-

0 3) Climbing 8-

0 4) Concealment 8-

0 5) Conversation 8-

0 6) Deduction 8-

0 7) Language: English (Idiomatic, native accent) (4 Active Points)

0 8) Paramedics 8-

0 9) Persuasion 8-

0 10) PS: Cook - Mexican Food 8-

0 11) Shadowing 8-

0 12) Stealth 8-

0 13) TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles, Small Rowed Boats

1 Computer Link: Metahuman Studies Database

4 Contact: Director of Metahuman Studies Department (Good Relationship,

Major Institutions, Useful Skills, 8-)

15 DNPC: Dr. Tamara Masterson (Normal, 11-)

25 DNPC: Family (Parents, Six Siblings, Normal, 8-)

20 Hunted: Mystery

10 Psych Lim: Open and Trusting, assumes the best in people

(Common, Moderate)

15 Psych Lim: Monophobia, fear of being alone, worse when he’s

unable to make telepathic/mind link contact (Common, Strong)

15 Psych Lim: Gregarious, overly talkative and outgoing, always trying

to make friends (Common, Strong)

10 Psych Lim: Rolemodel, sees himself as a role model for young hispanic

men, carries himself as such (Common, Moderate)

15 Social Lim: Identity - Secret or Public? Not sure what fits best with

the campaign

10 Social Lim: College Student: Nearly always broke, supposed

to be in class several hours a day, homework, dorm

supervision (Minor, 11-)

15 Vulnerability: 1x5xBODY,2xSTUN from Sonic Attacks

Concept: A dragon multiform character' date=' whose strengths rely upon versatility. However, the dragons are usually restless when they are out, and the rage is not easy to control; most of the forms would have an Enraged, and there's an Accidental Change 14- when he hits 0 BODY in his normal form...[/quote']

Actually, there are at least two known dragons in the Catalyst universe. The first is Dragoness, who is a dragon who can take human form. She is derived from my wife's PC in my first Champions campaign (back in the early 90's). Multiform wasn't around back then, so she was constructed as an OIHD character. Which, to be honest, I prefer to Multiform when the mind stays the same. In case it helps refine your concept, here's the story of the first dragon superhero...

The Catalyst project was created to keep track of superpowered beings (known as Primes). Their agents were the equivalent of the NSA, taking on secret missions that were hidden from the rest of the government. One mission involved stopping the Third Eye (a mystical organization seeking to control all magic) from getting ahold of an unknown mystical artifact in a long-hidden cave. Both sides reached the central chamber at the same time, finding two large eggs.

During the battle, agents of the Third Eye managed to grab one egg before they were driven off. While the Catalyst project agents were securing the cave, the second egg hatched, revealing a tiny dragon that immediately imprinted on the female agent closest to it. Because of that imprinting, the dragon gained the ability to take human form. The government studied the dragon for quite a while, and realized that the agent would have to function as its mother.

Fast-forward several years. After a vigorous debate, it was decided that the only way the dragon would integrate into society was to experience something approaching a normal human life. Thus, the dragon (after much private schooling and special training) was allowed to attend public school in human form. The child began to play with other kids, and it was disturbingly easy to forget the power hidden within her. Even in human form, she could lift a motorcycle...which is why her mother was ready to pull her from school at the first sign of trouble.

Then, superheroes came to Middleton, Texas. One afternoon, as criminals were shown on the news trying to rob a bank, the child changed into dragon form. Flying to the scene (and causing some panic in the process), the dragon helped the superhero Ace of Spades capture the robbers. When asked about her superhero name, she said 'Amber' - the color of her scales.

The government was in a quandrary about Amber's appearance. On one hand, a superhero with the mental development of a grade-school child was flying around a city and stopping crime. On the other hand...she was doing quite a good job, and a dragon the size of a minivan (not including wingspan) was very hard to hurt. Over her mother's objections, the government agreed that she could continue functioning as a superhero, and an agent was dispatched to make an agreement with Ace of Spades to oversee her career. Ace was rather dismayed to find out her age, but agreed that it was better to have her supervised than trying to fight crime on her own.

Over the years, there were many developments. There was the new kid who looked disturbingly familiar that tried to beat her up...and the fight was a stalemate. He eventually revealed himself as Crimson Flame - her brother, hatched from the dragon egg captured by the Third Eye. They battled several times over the years before he was vanquished. Amber, now known as Dragoness, doesn't talk about their last fight. Technomancer is a close friend of hers...and though his true identity is secret, some suspect that he attended the same school.

Today, Dragoness is one of the most powerful superheroes on the planet. It is believed that if Hiroshima was still alive, her dragon form would be able to fight him to a standstill. Unfortunately, her true form is so large that it is impractical for any indoor mission. She is very tough even in her human form, and has learned a good bit of magic to supplement her physical abilities. She is one of the founding members of Justice, Inc, and is still on the team.

Amber was built as an OIHD with 3 levels of Growth. She was a brick - high defenses, 60 STR, and a rarely-used 2d6 AoE (Cone) RKA flame breath. That is the base build for a 9-year old dragon in the Catalyst universe. Her stats in human form were still pretty impressive...there are not many 30 STR children running around the playground. As an adult, she is one of the most powerful superheroes on the planet.

Now, all dragons don't have to be the same. However, this is the example that has been set in the Catalyst universe...and as a dragon, you're guaranteed to receive a visit from Dragoness early in your career.

Oooh! Lots of plot hooks there!

Half the problem I had with it going in is that Dragon Boy up there is an extended reference. I'd be tempted to make him OIHID, except that he does, in fact, have multiple forms, somewhere in the neigborhood of 1-4. Not too many, but enough to justify Multiform over OIHID since some of them he can't access all the powers/skills he has (No Fine Manipulators is one of the Phys Lims for all but one of his forms, etc.)

In fact, I'm much more tempted to say that he was originally human, a long time ago, then shut up where he was found in his dragon form for some unknown reason. Of course, Third Eye could always use another pet, so they tried to make a play for him, expecting that he would impress on someone like Crimson Flame did and everything would go very well.

What they got was a scared human child in a dragon's body who didn't know why there were men with what were clearly weapons hurting him. Cornered, alone, and with very few options, the child did what most cornered animals do.

He eventually came to a long way away from the incident, on the streets, and with very little to identify him or even make sure he existed officially. Preferably, at this point one of the other characters found him- making him a street rat would make life difficult for all involved.

As for baselines, he's much more used to a 'faster' version than Amber, above. 45-50 STR, some MA representing the form's instincts and natural ability, maybe an HA instead, I'm not sure. It's also his 'friendliest' form- and probably not the one he goes to in Accidental Change, because it's not a full dragon.

The full dragon is the one with Enraged on it; this is precisely because it's a natural extension of his survival instinct, and he's a little scared of using it- understandable, considering how much damage he did the first time he used it. This is the one with the breath weapon, and it can get mad enough to use it (though as with all things, it's a little different- probably a line of frost instead of true Breath of Fire...).

His primary problem is control.

His primary motivation is discovery. He wants to know what he is, how he came to be, and why everyone is so mean to him all the time; after all, the Third Eye hasn't stopped hunting him...

If he met Dragoness early on, he'll probably have her as a training Contact, and probably as a Watched, too- he's still not in control and no doubt she'd have problems with this.

If you're still accepting interest, I'd like to apply. I'm in the process of learning to use HERO 5th Edition, but I'm a quick study, and an old hand at tabletop and PbP gaming in general.

My character, who's been knocking around in my head since I first looked at the rulebooks, is Cagliostro the Alchemist. He's either an amnesiac with unusual powers or the true Count di Cagliostro, master occultist of the 18th century. He spends nearly all of his time translating ancient languages as a university research professor, going by the name of Alessandro Pizzetti and maintaining a low profile. In truth, he uses his access to the university's library to continue his research into the arcane.

Owing to the nature of the character, most of his psychological limitations are going to be supernatural proscriptions, obligations that he's gradually assumed in exchange for power. With every bit of arcane knowledge that he gains, he assumes a little more responsibility. I like the idea of a hero with slightly more complicated reasons for doing what he does than the typical revenge story. He's a well-meaning, amicable fellow, but without the various Powers he's made deals with over the years nagging him to take a greater interest in the world, he'd probably never get involved. Over time, of course, he'll start to see the kind of change somebody in his position can cause.

I'll probably make a lot of mistakes with the crunch side of things, so even if I'm not accepted the critical process will likely be good for me. :)

~Gabriel

I am looking for a bit more defense but I wanted to do something different than just add on more PD and ED. I would like to swap the Damage Reduction for Missile Deflection. Please let me know if this power is also not acceptable. I think it fits thematically with the character's "exoskeleton" SFX. I have updated my submission with this change.

If the characters will be spending alot of combat time in their normal identities, It will probably not be practical for the character to be 10 years old. I'm not sure the other characters would allow him to be part of the team if they knew his age. I will update the submission further after I think about it. Right now I'm leaning towards the character being a teenager (sidekick age).

Feedback - Detective Luminous

Okay, before I start my feedback on the stats, I wanted to bring up something that my wife (Miracle's player) pointed out about your background.

"So, he's a light-wielding superhero who has a public ID, and he's a detective..."

"No, he isn't."

"What?"

"You can't be a detective with a public ID. How do you speak to informants? Go around town talking with people to gather information? Even when you're interrogating suspects, you're going to get funny looks."

(For reference, my wife is a social worker who has worked with cops and detectives.)

So, that's a bit of a concern. Granted, your original proposal had the character with a Secret ID, and you may be shooting more for the Sherlock Holmes style than a modern detective, but it is something to consider. That's why I was suggesting dropping 'Detective' from the superhero name, and just use the skills without calling attention to them in your Hero ID.

Now, on to the character sheet...

Characteristics: No problems. In fact, since you have innate powers instead of being a gadgeteer or other 'normal' human, I have no problem with going past 20 in CON...maybe even DEX. Of course, with the END reserve, I think you can get away with an 18 CON. Going from 18 to 20 nets you 4 END and 1 STUN. You don't need the END, and you could buy up STUN separately. DEX could go to 23 - you may not be moving as fast as light, but you may have a superior reaction time to a normal human. My one concern would be the higher DCV in combination with your invisibility.

Powers: 10 points is a lot of Flash Defense, but light is your thing so I don't see a problem with it. The nitpick on the END reserve is the limitation only goes on the REC (saving you 3 pts), not the entire power. 100 END is pretty high...but if you can't recover in darkness than I can see why you'd want it high. Later, you may want to take Absorption versus energy (light attacks only), that would put absorbed points into your END reserve.

As for the elemental control - I would have said the combination of DCV and defenses (PD/ED) is on the low side of average...but you have full invisibility in your EC which will make you very hard to hit. However, you need to switch from Costs END only to activate to 1/2 END on the FF and Invisibility, for the same reasons I gave Engram.

The multipower looks good. The two flashes are going to be pretty rough on villains, but I don't have any cause to say no - they're within the rules, fit your concept, and aren't abusive. Desolid could actually take 1/2 END and still fit in the multipower. Or (since you actually take on a light form) you could use Costs END only to activate. However, I am a bit leery about the Images, and I also think they could be constructed better. I'm not seeing how you get Hearing and Radio when none of your other powers utilize those aspects. I also think you should make the size larger than 1". My concern with Images is that I've seen them abused in the past, especially when there's a large penalty to PER rolls. Here's how I'd do it:

Make Images: Sight Group Images Increased Size (8" radius; +3/4), +/-3 to PER Rolls, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (38 Active Points) (uses Personal END)

That's enough of a penalty to make the average person's roll drop from 11- to 8-, and you can get other modifiers based on what illusion you make. No sound or radar...but that just means you need to be a little more creative.

Skills/Perks: These look good. However, if you raise your DEX to get your OCV higher, you'll need to drop an equal number of levels with light powers to offset that increase.

Disadvantages: Unlike other superhero worlds, 'mutant' isn't a separate category from other superpowered beings. Sure, Hiroshima could be classified as a mutant by the classic definition, but the source of your powers doesn't matter as much as how dangerous they are to others, and how you use them. That eliminates the first Distinctive Feature. The Dependence is fine, but we should define how much light you need. I've already talked about the Public ID above, which affects your Hunteds. The mob isn't that powerful in this world, and only very determined hunteds will pursue a character beyond an 8-. 11- means they've got some deep grudge against you, and 14- is a nemesis who constantly makes himself known. Your social limitation of "always looks for the good in people" should be a psych lim. Finally, as I mentioned with Engram, I prefer when people take the full 50 pts of psych lims, as they help define the character.

Final Thoughts: Overall, the character is pretty good. I think there are a few things that need to be fixed...but we're moving along quite nicely. I'm going to have some tough choices to make (as there are several people applying for this game), but if your character doesn't make the cut, there's still hope. Zac is hoping to run a Hero Central game once he has a chance to experience Hero Central as a player (a month or two under his belt). The game would be set in the same universe, with the same guidelines. There may even be crossovers between the two games. If you miss the cut this time, I'm almost positive you'd make the cut for the second game.

My submission is a botanist that had a real real bad day. She was in the process of splicing the DNA of two separate families of plants in order to produce a different family combining the traits of the previous two. In the process, she accidentally dropped the specimens and in the process of retrieving them ended up being cut and exposing her own DNA to the other two.

Upside, her DNA splicing experiment worked. Downside, she was the result. She now has plant based abilities including the ability to cover her skin with a reinforced bark as well as having the typical abilities one would attribute to a Dryad of plant control and generation from her own body.

Gah' date=' I missed the fact that there was already a power suit guy. Grr, I should probably come up with something else. Maybe some day I'll get to use Guardian :) .[/quote']

Having two powersuit characters on the same team is feasible. However, they have to be different enough to allow both a chance to shine. Regardless, Zac's comments about being competent outside the suit have a lot of merit. If it's a -1/2 limitation, expect there to be times where danger lurks while you're outside of your suit.

Also, as I mentioned in the feedback for Detective Luminous, even if you don't make the cut this time, a second campaign in the same universe may be run by Zac. He has been in two of my previous face-to-face Champions games so he knows the world fairly well. In fact, given your background, Guardian may be tailor-made for Zac's campaign. There's a deceased hero in his campaign city called "National Guard", that might mesh well with your background.

Now, if you still want to put Guardian forward as a proposal, I'm willing to give feedback. Let me know what you prefer.

FYI...

I am accepting submissions until after President's Day. In fact, let's go ahead and say that submissions are due by 11:59 pm on Friday, February 20th. That will give me the weekend to make my final picks, and announce the new players on Monday, February 23rd. If you want feedback before making a final submission, you need to post your concept and background a few days early - I cannot guarantee feedback if you wait until the last minute.

The extra time is, in part, to give me a chance to give feedback before the final submissions. Here is my current list of applicants:

• Engram, gregarious mentalist (jwpacker) - feedback given
  • Detective Luminous, shining detective (quozaxx) - feedback given, revised HD file sent via email
  • Guardian, reconstructed powersuit (Checkmate) - feedback given
  • Rhino Beetle, four-armed powerhouse (DocSamson) - feedback given
  • Ladon, shifter with dragon form (Fabricati) - feedback given, requested more info
  • Cagliostro the Alchemist, master occultist (Vox) - full background requested
  • Hesperides, gene-spliced plant controller (Revenant) - feedback given
  • Black Arachnia, web-casting heroine (Corven_Ren) - feedback given, full background requested

My final picks will be either two or three people, depending on what is best for the superteam. Good luck!

This is the character sheet for Dryad.

Dryad

Player:

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

23 DEX 39

30 CON 40

21 BODY 22

20 INT 10

12 EGO 4

12 PRE 2

14 COM 2

10/25 PD 7

8/20 ED 2

4 SPD 7

15 REC 12

60 END 0

44 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

3" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 152

Cost Power

12 Plant Based Physiology: Life Support (Eating: Character only has to eat once per week; Expanded Breathing; Immunity: Nerve Gases; Longevity: 400 Years; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week) [Notes: Expanded breathing is CO2

Eating is the same nuetriants that plants need]

17 Plant Like Regeneration: Regeneration 3 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (52 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2), Requires Sunlight To Use (-1/4)

11 Vine Swinging: Swinging 6", x4 Noncombat

43 Bark Skin: Force Field (15 PD/12 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (54 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (costs end to activate; -1/4)

55 Plant Manipulation and Generation: Multipower, 55-point reserve

2u 1) Vines: Stretching 5" (25 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (No fine manipulation; -1/2)

3u 2) Pollen Spray: Energy Blast 4d6, Area Of Effect Nonselective (9" Cone; +3/4), No Normal Defense (no need to breathe, holding one's breath, force field, force wall; +1) (55 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Not in strong winds; -1/4)

3u 3) Thorn Spray: Energy Blast 6d6, Area Of Effect Nonselective (7" Cone; +3/4) (52 Active Points); No Range (-1/2)

3u 4) Rapid enhanced plant growth: Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF, Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group (+1/4) (50 Active Points); IIF (must have ambient plant life; -1/4), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Only When In Contact With The Ground (-1/4)

Powers Cost: 149

Cost Skill

5 SS: Botany 14-

3 Deduction 13-

5 KS: Mythology 14-

5 Bureaucratics 12-

3 PS: Botanist 12-

5 KS: Gardening 14-

3 SS: Chemistry 12-

3 SS: Organic Chemistry 12-

5 KS: Taxonomy 14-

Skills Cost: 37

Cost Perk

5 Money: Well Off

Perks Cost: 5

Total Character Cost: 343

Pts. Disadvantage

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

10 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Cold attacks (Uncommon)

20 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Fire (Common)

10 Social Limitation: Weirdness Magnet (Occasionally, Major)

10 Psychological Limitation: Fear of fire (Common, Moderate)

15 Psychological Limitation: Reluctant to kill (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Lust for knowledge (Uncommon, Total)

10 Psychological Limitation: Must help those in need (Common, Moderate)

10 Distinctive Features: smells like a plant instead of a mammal (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Uncommonly-Used Senses)

15 Susceptibility: complete darkness, 1d6 damage per Phase (Uncommon) [Notes: the 1d6 is a speed drain.]

5 Susceptibility: defoliant exposure (until complete drenching to get rid of it), 1d6 damage per Minute (Uncommon)

15 Physical Limitation: plant physiology requires specialized medical care (better a gardener than a doctor) (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Well, I have image, fluff, and crunch (and in that order). I really hope I haven't screwed up the details too badly. If I made any gross errors, remember that this is my first time and go easy on me. ;)

cagliostro.jpg

Background:

Alessandro has continuous memories that go back hundreds of years. But are they his own? A blank in his recollection nearly 30 years ago lasted 11 months. What could it mean?

In truth, Alessandro enjoys his life as a researcher. He has a small number of graduate students to whom he must dedicate a portion of his time, but otherwise he is free to browse the extensive underground restricted libraries on university property. Unbeknown to the administration, their bookshelves and reliquaries are packed with arcana that would satisfy a hundred wizards for decades. No doubt Cagliostro would spend his days shut away with his books, uninvolved in the affairs of mankind, were it not for his unnatural obligations.

For every gain, there must be a sacrifice. For Alessandro Cagliostro, that was a given. He delved deeply into the Art, instinctively seeking out the more benign magics and eschewing those that were treacherous and dark. For those, the price was too dear. But for the power that he did acquire, he paid nonetheless: mystical contracts obliging him to the defense of life, the preservation of the innocent. Like a mirror image of his ancestor Johann Faustus, Cagliostro signed his soul away to the higher powers.

So now, when the spirits whisper to him in the solitude of his libraries that mankind is in danger, that the innocent have need of him, Alessandro Cagliostro has no choice but to heed their call. Over time he has realized that the power is not his at all; he is merely a tool of magic that has an agenda of its own.

Also spoilered the stats to save space:

Characteristics: 110

STR 10

DEX 10

CON 15 (10 pts)

BODY 15 (10 pts)

INT 30 (20 pts)

EGO 30 (40 pts)

PRE 20 (10 pts)

COM 30 (10 pts)

PD 2

ED 2

SPD 2

REC 10 (10 pts)

END 30

STUN 30

Powers: 197

Cloak of Merlin: Endurance Reserve (200 END, 5 REC)(25 Active Points); IAF (Extremely Difficult to Obtain New Focus, -1½), Limited Recovery (Ritual, -2). Total Cost: 6

Levitation: Flight 10" (10 Active Points); Reduced Endurance (0 END, +½). Total Cost: 15

Charm of Protection: Force Field (20 PD/20 ED), Protects Carried Items (+10), Half END cost (+¼)(63 Active Points); Gestures (Both Hands, -½), Incantations (-¼). Total Cost: 36

Intervention of Destiny: Luck 4d6; Total Cost: 20

Scholar's Discipline: Mental Defense (10 points plus Ego/5); Total Cost: 10 points

Arcane Surge: Energy Blast 10d6 (50 Active Points); Gestures (Both Hands, -½), Incantations (-¼). Total Cost: 29

Sorcery: VPP 50 points (25 Control), Powers Can Be Changed As A Half-Phase Action (+½), BOECV (Target Chooses Defenses, Range Applies +½)(100 Active Points); IAF (Extremely Difficult to Obtain New Focus, -1½), Gestures (Both Hands, -½), Incantations (-¼). Total Cost: 81

Skills: 41

Analyze 15 (3 pts)

Conversation 13 (3)

Cryptography 15 (3)

High Society 13 (3)

Knowledge (history) 15 (2)

Knowledge (mystical) 20 (12)

Language (Sanskrit, Egyptian, Ancient Greek, Latin, Old Norse, Spanish, French, Italian) (8 pts)

Persuasion 13 (3)

Seduction 13 (3)

Talents: 5 points

Eidetic Memory (5)

Graduate Students: DNPCs 11-, Normal (+5), Unaware (+5), 8 smart but useless students of dead languages; 40 Character Points

Smells Strongly of Incense: Distinctive Feature, Not Concealable; 15 Character Points

Illuminati: Hunted 11-, More Powerful, NCI; 25 Character Points

Protector of Life: Compelled to protect all living beings, human or other.

(Common, Total): 20 points

True to His Word: Bound by magical pact never to break confidence. (Common, Total): 20 points

Proud: Overconfidence (Very Common, Moderate): 15 points

Secret Identity: 15 points

This is the character sheet for Dryad.

I don't have time for any more feedback posts tonight, but I did want to let you know that there is already a Dryad in the Catalyst universe. I don't know if you've went to the webpage yet (check here), but in the Catalyst Player's Guide there's mention of the villain group Mythos. Here's the text:

Mythos

Claiming to be mythical beings of legend, Mythos pursues a doctrine of eco-terrorism across the globe. Mythos’ current membership consists of Medusa (leader), Troll, Gremlin, Siren, and Dryad.

I took a quick look at the site earlier and didn't notice that name for some reason, I'll do a little mythology research and come up with a different name. It's kind of a inside joke to her to name herself after a similar mythological creature given the scientific nature of her origin.

Well, let's run Ladon here up your mental flagpole and see if it sends prayers to heaven.

Ladon

Player:

Val Char Cost

30 STR 20

20 DEX 30

18 CON 16

14 BODY 8

23 INT 13

18 EGO 16

8 PRE -2

15 COM 3

16 PD 10

16 ED 12

5 SPD 20

14 REC 8

36 END 0

38 STUN 0

6"/15" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

6" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 154

Cost Power

60 Multiform (275 Character Points in the most expensive form) (x2 Number Of Forms)

8 Dragon's Eye Charm: Luck 2d6 (10 Active Points); IIF (-1/4)

7 Damage Resistance (7 PD/7 ED)

6 Attacking Two Souls: Mental Defense (10 points total)

18 Run Like The Wind: Running +9" (6"/15" total)

7 Minor Cantrips: Multipower, 10-point reserve, (10 Active Points); all slots Requires A Magic Roll (-1/2)

1u 1) SMILE!: Sight Group Flash 2d6 (10 Active Points); Requires A Magic Roll (-1/2)

1u 2) Light Fire: Energy Blast 2d6 (10 Active Points); Requires A Magic Roll (-1/2)

1u 3) Summon Extinguisher: Dispel Fire, One Hex At A Time 3d6 (9 Active Points); Requires A Magic Roll (-1/2)

1u 4) Bind Wounds: Healing BODY 1d6 (10 Active Points); Requires A Magic Roll (-1/2)

10 See Magic: Detect Magic 14- (Sight Group), Discriminatory

10 Stable in Instability: Power Defense (10 points)

Powers Cost: 130

Cost Skill

3 Acting 11-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Scholar

1 1) KS: Action Figures (2 Active Points) 11-

1 2) KS: Dragons (2 Active Points) 11-

1 3) KS: Math (2 Active Points) 11-

1 4) KS: Monsters (2 Active Points) 11-

1 5) KS: Primes (2 Active Points) 11-

1 6) KS: The Third Eye (2 Active Points) 11-

3 Linguist

4 1) Language: English (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)

3 2) Language: Russian (completely fluent; literate) (4 Active Points)

3 3) Language: Spanish (completely fluent; literate) (4 Active Points)

0 4) Language: Unknown Language of Uncertain Origin (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

3 Lockpicking 13-

1 Power: Draconic Abilities 8-

3 Power: Flight 13-

3 Power: Magic 14-

3 Climbing 13-

3 Deduction 14-

3 Persuasion 11-

3 Stealth 13-

3 Streetwise 11-

4 Survival (Mountain, Urban) 14-

Skills Cost: 57

Cost Perk

6 Contact: Dragoness (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own) 8-

3 Anonymity

Perks Cost: 9

Total Character Cost: 350

Pts. Disadvantage

20 Accidental Change: 1/2 Body or less 14- (Common)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code vs. Killing (Common, Total)

5 Psychological Limitation: Doesn't Know How To Relax and Have Fun (Uncommon, Moderate)

10 Distinctive Features: Blue Hair (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

5 Distinctive Features: Detects as Magical (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)

10 Social Limitation: Relic of a Bygone Day (Frequently, Minor)

10 Social Limitation: Minor (Occasionally, Major)

15 Hunted: Dragoness 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

15 Hunted: The Third Eye 8- (Mo Pow, Capture)

10 Psychological Limitation: Despondent after going Enraged (Common, Moderate)

15 Psychological Limitation: Feels Guilt About First Use of Powers (Common, Strong)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0