Super-accurate with ranged attacks

Split Decision

Re: Super-accurate with ranged attacks

I'm not that familiar with the character but there are 3 basic methods to increase any characters accuracy at range:

1. CSL's (as well as PSL's vs. Range)
  2. AOE (1 Hex Accurate is particularly good for 'precision' attacks)
  3. No Range Modifier/Line Of Sight

It's also a good idea to determine if the character's 'super-accuracy' is a learned skill or part of his power (or both!).

examples of skill:

Batman (batarangs), Hawkeye/Green Arrow (archery), Bullseye (guns), etc...

example of power:

Superman (Heat Vision - he can hit whatever he can see)

What are some ideas about how to build his super-skillful ranged attack ability?

Since he can turn almost anything into a lethal weapon (like paper clips), I would treat it like a straight-up RKA. I might give it the OAF of opportunity and/or Restrainable limitations.

I would also use Hyper-Man's suggestions to improve the accuracy of the attack.

25 Everything's a Weapon to Me: Multipower, 40-point reserve, all slots Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (50 Active Points); all slots OIF (Objects of Opportunity; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2)

2u 1) Sharp Objects: Killing Attack - Ranged 2 1/2d6 (40 Active Points); OIF (Objects of Opportunity; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2)

2u 2) Blunt Objects: Energy Blast 8d6 (40 Active Points); OIF (Objects of Opportunity; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2)

30 They Don't Call Me Bullseye for Nothing!: Line Of Sight (+1/2) for up to 40 Active Points of Any Thrown Attack, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points)

Great. I decided to build it like this:

45 Bullseye's Super-throwing: Multipower, 90-point reserve, all slots OIF (Objects of Opportunity; -1/2) or OAF, Restrainable (-1/2)

4u 1) Serious Damage: 2 1/2d6 RKA; 1/2 END cost (+1/4), Variable Advantages up to +1/2 (+1) (90 Active Points); OIF (Objects of Opportunity; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2)

4u 2) Just a calling card: 8d6 EB vs PD; 1/2 END cost (+1/4), Variable Advantages up to +1/2 (+1) (90 Active Points); (90 Active Points); OIF (Objects of Opportunity; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2)

Plus:

24 Super-Accuracy I: 12 Ranged Skill Levels (No Range Mod Penalty out to 64")

17 Super-Accuracy II: +5 CV in Ranged Combat (25 Active Points); Only to increase OCV (-1/2)

So thank you to Hyper-Man and Mr. Gridlock, as well as everyone who has contributed!

Now, there are three specific uses of this super-accuracy I'd like to model, if it makes sense to model them seperately or as additional slots in the MP?

1) For many years, he carried one of Elektra's sai. He did not have specific training in using it. Should it be modelled seperately?

2) He carries a simple, limited linegun which he uses to get in and get out of tight spaces. I know how to build a linegun as a MP. Do you think it's worth putting it in? Figure, about 14 Real Points on a 350 point character.

3) He has false front teeth. As a special attack, he can spit them into someone's eyes to permanently blind them. He hasn't done this often. Again, worth modelling?

I would recommend the following changes:

45 Bullseye's Super-throwing: Multipower, 90-point reserve, all slots OAF (Objects of Opportunity; -1/2) or OAF, Restrainable (-1/2)

4u 1) Serious Damage: 2 1/2d6 RKA; 1/2 END cost (+1/4), Variable Advantages up to +1/2 (+1) (90 Active Points); OAF (Objects of Opportunity; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2)

4u 2) Just a calling card: 8d6 EB vs PD; 1/2 END cost (+1/4), Variable Advantages up to +1/2 (+1) (90 Active Points); (90 Active Points); OAF (Objects of Opportunity; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2)

1) For many years, he carried one of Elektra's sai. He did not have specific training in using it. Should it be modelled seperately?

If he's just throwing it, it's already covered by the multipower.

2) He carries a simple, limited linegun which he uses to get in and get out of tight spaces. I know how to build a linegun as a MP. Do you think it's worth putting it in? Figure, about 14 Real Points on a 350 point character.

I would keep it seperate. That way he can attack while hanging from the line.

3) He has false front teeth. As a special attack, he can spit them into someone's eyes to permanently blind them. He hasn't done this often. Again, worth modelling?

It's something you might want to add to the multipower at a future point. Note: this attack is not Restrainable.

Actually, I would not change the Multipower to OAF because he can always find something else to use, so it should be an OIF to represent that he can't really be disarmed (for too long). If I was the GM and you bought it as an OAF then once you were Disarmed, that would be it for some time. If you're saving the points, then you have to pay the penalty.

I also think that the Variable Advantage is too expensive. There's really only a few Advantages he's going to use (if you're modeling if after what Bullseye can really do). It would be more economical to lower the Reserve and buy the slots that he'll actually be using. The only time that Variable Advantage comes in handy is when you can truly use all of the Advantages.

Permanently blinding someone requires a Transform attack, and those are expensive unless you're targeting normal humans (with no Power Def. and low Body). Trying to make that work on other supers might find you having wasted your points.

You could also go for

Missile Deflection (knocking attacks out of the air before they hit)

Find Weakness with All Ranged Attacks, No Range Modifier

Plus, some good Range Fu martial arts, to allow diarms, trips, and extra bonuses.

I don't own any of the appropriate sourcebooks for a flavor of "range fu", even though I know what you mean. How exactly should I model such a thing as a ranged disarm or ranged trip attack?

Is it simply the correct maneuver, advantaged with range (+1/2), defined with the appropriate weapon element? Or is there something even more basic that I'm missing that you're allowed to tell me about, without giving away free info straight out of a sourcebook?

The Ultimate Martial Artist has a section on 'ranged martial arts maneuvers.' Basically, a series of 3-5 point maneuvers similar to HTH martial maneuvers but for use with ranged attacks.

There are also examples of ranged martial arts like Shurikenjustsu and Zen Riflery.

Not my favorite part of the book, and I'd never allow it, but it's there and officially part of the rules.

Not my favorite part of the book' date=' and I'd never allow it, but it's there and officially part of the rules.[/quote']

Can I ask why you wouldn't allow this? There's hardly any other way to do things like a ranged trip.

With enough levels you could MAYBE disarm someone at range, but wow, would it be expensive (for what you get).

Ranged Trip and Ranged Disarm aren't so bad. But things like Far Shot (5 points; +1 OCV, -1 DCV, +4 RSL), Defensive Shot (3; -1/+2/0), Moving Shot (5; -1/0/0, Full Move) and Offensive Shot (4; -1/-1/0, +4 DC's) are a bit much to me.

Admittedly this might be a bit hypocritical of me, considering I love playing conventional martial artists over bricks...

I would also add Penalty Skill Levels vs throwning Unbalanced/non aerodynamic objects.

The objects he throws are SFX. I guess it would be up to the GM whether I'd need these.

As it stands, the character sheet is at 327 of 350. I may just leave those last 23 points dangling, and fill them in with campaign-specific things, should he ever come out of the suitcase.

Also: Going to rethink Variable Advantages vs. more slots.

Ranged Trip and Ranged Disarm aren't so bad. But things like Far Shot (5 points; +1 OCV, -1 DCV, +4 RSL), Defensive Shot (3; -1/+2/0), Moving Shot (5; -1/0/0, Full Move) and Offensive Shot (4; -1/-1/0, +4 DC's) are a bit much to me.

Admittedly this might be a bit hypocritical of me, considering I love playing conventional martial artists over bricks...

moving shot is officialy errataed out of existance...

moving shot is officialy errataed out of existance...

Nice catch. I don't think I ever noticed that before.

from the HERO Games Errata:

The Ultimate Martial Artist (pg. 9) The Moving Shot maneuver should be deleted.

The Ultimate Martial Artist (pg. 54) Remove the Moving Shot from Shurikenjutsu.

Of course, you can make all of his attacks Mental, Does BODY. :whistle:

What? YOU try and dodge ECV strikes unless you're a mentalist. Why does the mentalist dodge? Because they 'sense' it in advance. Makes sense. Mind you, can't do Killing Damage that way, but it still makes sense.

You can also:

2d6 RKA, No Range Penalty (+1/2), AOE Accurate (+1/2). Poof. If points don't matter, don't sweat the mess. Here's another: give him No Range Pen. as an NPA for any & all attacks up to WhatEver (which was mentioned prior, but bears repeating).

The objects he throws are SFX. I guess it would be up to the GM whether I'd need these.

As it stands, the character sheet is at 327 of 350. I may just leave those last 23 points dangling, and fill them in with campaign-specific things, should he ever come out of the suitcase.

Also: Going to rethink Variable Advantages vs. more slots.

Well if you wanted to throw a chair or a battle ax that does more damage than your RKA.

"Objects of Opportunity" is always an OIF, every write up I've ever seen.

Anti-Penalty Levels vs Range Penalties is good. Giving it "Range: LOS" is very, very powerful; be careful with that one!

I'd make the line gun separate. Not in the Multipower, so he can do other stuff.

The "spit out the teeth" bit -- aren't there rules re. hidden weapons? I can't remember exactly.

I ran the numbers for Variable Advantage versus more slots specifically delineated, and it turns out that for what I want the power to do, it would cost me 56 Real points to write it as a 70-point reserve and seven slots, versus 53 for a 90-point reserve and two slots with variable advantages.

The only benefit from the smaller reserve and more slots is the END cost for throwing any of the powers dips from 4 to 1, but it's not that big a deal. 3 END x 6 Phases = 18 END, but it's likely to be much less than that. I would consider this a balancing factor too though, rather than an undue burden.