Anime style magic girl. Two possible ways

Desert

Alright. I've just recently gotten into the Hero system and am working on my first Champion game, so I'm new at this. I have experience with Rpgs so I'm not completely inexperienced.

Anyway, I'm toying around with various ideas with additional heroes, and some villains. A friend and I watched a anime which had the "magical girl" who transforms to get powers. So it has me thinking of trying something like that with my own.

I have been reading through the book to get to know the system, and there are two ways I could do it. Both of them would work, but being new, I would like some advice from more experienced players.

The first is that all the powers would have the limitation "only in superhero identity." Since the character would be a normal person until they became a superhero, none of the powers would be active while they were a normal person.

The other would be to use Multiform, buying the points for the heroic version until it matches the point system for campaign. This seems like it would be easier to me, but I think it would leave me with extra points in the normal form and wondering what to do with them.

So, what do you think?

Re: Anime style magic girl. Two possible ways

Multiforms can be confusing for a beginner, and infact if she doesn't change as a person (i.e. lose skills etc) there is less reason to buy a multi-form. it's just a waste of points and a lot of paper work to carry around. I would recomend Only in Heroic identity.

It's quite simple actually and I'm sure your GM could help if your confused. You could also buy hero designer, a program that allows you to make hero characters really easily.

I'll second Corebrute's advice. Multiform can be complicated. "Only in Hero ID" works fine for most Magical Girl concepts since they don't change in major ways beyond gaining access to their powers and heroic costumes. I'd go so far as to say Magical Girls are generally a classic example of Only in Hero ID.

One of the other classic tropes of magical girl shows is that the girl has some sort of device that is necessary to transform.

While technically, the focus may only apply to the transformation power that changes the character from normal to powered form, you could reasonably apply the focus limitation to all of the magical girl powers as well (as long as you don't also apply the only in hero ID limitation)

One of the other classic tropes of magical girl shows is that the girl has some sort of device that is necessary to transform.

While technically, the focus may only apply to the transformation power that changes the character from normal to powered form, you could reasonably apply the focus limitation to all of the magical girl powers as well (as long as you don't also apply the only in hero ID limitation)

Only if the device is something that causes them to revert if taken away. The henshin devices from Sailor Moon disappeared after use into hammerspace so they wouldn't qualify.

Which anime? It might be useful to get an idea of what kind of transformation/abilities we are talking about...

I guess I'll elaborate a little more on it. The show was called Cyberteam in Akihabara. In it, the girl had this pet and her feelings for it called forth a being that looked to be an older version of the girl. Taller, more muscular, more develped, older, and a warrior with armor.

So it gave me an idea based off that. Instead of summoning an what looked like an older version of the non heroic form of the character, the character themself would transform into this older, more powerful form. Possibly as they developed, growing up and such, the charcter would change so that she would actually start to take on the traits of her superhero form.

I guess I'll elaborate a little more on it. The show was called Cyberteam in Akihabara. In it, the girl had this pet and her feelings for it called forth a being that looked to be an older version of the girl. Taller, more muscular, more develped, older, and a warrior with armor.

So it gave me an idea based off that. Instead of summoning an what looked like an older version of the non heroic form of the character, the character themself would transform into this older, more powerful form. Possibly as they developed, growing up and such, the charcter would change so that she would actually start to take on the traits of her superhero form.

Only in Hero ID is the way to do this

Further more you can start to slowly buy off (Use xp to reduce the amount of the limitation) as the character grows.

I created the stats for the Sailor Senshi (Sailor Moon). I used 'only in hero id' as JmOz suggested. I would never use Multiform for only one form other than your normal form/secret id; I'd use it only for 2+ extra forms other than your normal id.

Appreciate more certain views

It's nice to know so many are more confident than I on the matter. Seems the majority agree to Only in Heroic Identity. As one person mentioned, I do plan on eventually buying it off so the character gets full access to the powers as they get older

And to CoreBrute, I'm afraid that since I plan on gming the campaign and none of my friends are previously experienced with the Hero systerm. I know few people so there is no one off the thread I can ask about.