A Time Traveling Character

One of the characters in my world can time travel a few seconds into the future during combat. He slips into the time stream to avoid being attacked during combat. During the period that he is out of the normal time stream he can still move around normally. How would you build his time traveling power?

Re: A Time Traveling Character

I'd probably do it as a form of linked Desolification and Invisibility (hurt by powers with some kind of temporal and/or dimensional aspect). I'm not sure how much subjective time you picture him having to move around while he jumps into the future. If it is the same as the "actual" time that passes in the world then I'd say the time travel is really just the Special Effects of that kind of power. If he has less time than everyone else, that's probably the Extra Time Limitation. If he has more time than everyone else, we're slipping into the ugly realm of extra limited Speed or Extra-Dimensional Travel or whatever (I'm sure there will shortly be plenty of suggestions and interesting argument about this bit :D ). If he can't perceive the events that transpire in the elapsed time, it's probably a form of Concentration or a custom Limitation.

Sounds like a teleport to me, with 'must pass through intervening space' :) You might want to add +4 combat levels linked to the TP, to simulate getting yourself out of danger and into an advantageous position.

SFX: vanish into time, walk to where you want to be, re-appear.

Well if it is always 2 phases (or always 3 phases) then he is missing combat time every time he 'ports forward, which sounds like a limitation to me. Is there any tactical advantage to disappearing and not re-appearing immediately? What does he avoid when he does this?

Well if it is always 2 phases (or always 3 phases) then he is missing combat time every time he 'ports forward' date=' which sounds like a limitation to me. Is there any tactical advantage to disappearing and not re-appearing immediately? What does he avoid when he does this?[/quote']

Ah, but if he were just gone for 2-3 segments, that could be beneficial - essentially disappearing during those segments when he does not get an action...

Sounds like a custom modifier for Teleportation.

Duration Modifier (+/-0 Per Segment): Teleportation is no longer instantaneous with this modifier. During travel the character may not interact with the world in any way besides movement.

- Christopher Mullins

Basically he moves forward in time to get into a better combat position then using something like Lightning Reflexes to simulate him popping in before anyone has a chance to react to his presence then attacking followed by slipping into the time stream.

Well back to post 2, and Prestidigitator's suggestion of desolid+invisibility then. You don't need lightning reflexes - you 'appear' on your DEX and attack.

If you want to disappear again immediately, you'll need a trigger on that, but I'd be wary of allowing a character with that build as it really limits the GM's tactical responses: he'll have to have every villain hold their action, or some such, which is boring.

Thanks for all the replies and I finally decided to write his powers up in the following manner:

23 Extra-Dimensional Movement: 2-6 seconds of time (Related Group of Points in Time, Single Physical Location Other Than Starting Location) (47 Active Points); Can only go forward in time (-1) 5

49 Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), +1 to PER Roll, Mobile Perception Point (can move up to 24" per Phase), Perceive into a single other dimension (61 Active Points); Linked (Extra-Dimensional Movement: 2-6 seconds of time; -¼) 6

If you want to disappear again immediately' date=' you'll need a trigger on that, but I'd be wary of allowing a character with that build as it really limits the GM's tactical responses: he'll have to have every villain hold their action, or some such, which is boring.[/quote']

Yes. A villain with that kind of power, on the other hand, can be very interesting to throw at the PCs now and then. :eg:

Sounds like a teleport to me, with 'must pass through intervening space' :) You might want to add +4 combat levels linked to the TP, to simulate getting yourself out of danger and into an advantageous position.

SFX: vanish into time, walk to where you want to be, re-appear.

Ding ding. This is how I would build it too. With the overall levels you can also mimic things like the guy spending time studying a lock before using his lockpicking skill. ;)