Storn Art from idea to Full Picture Year 6

death tribble

Well as I am still a little bit stuck getting the Monster as Hero idea visualised and commissioned so off we go with this instead. Note any rules changes those that have seen this before.

Those of you who are regular frequenters of the board will recall that for the last five years I have run threads about getting a character commissioned and drawn by Storn. The first year we did this we also had the prelim drawings and in year 4 as well.

The first winner was the pic called Cyanide, 2nd winner Sadhana an Asian Indian mystic, the third winner was Enforcer84's ice brick Glacier, the fourth was Pattern Ghost’s Star and last year an amalgm of two ideas a patriot, female armour wearer. They are still in Storn's thread and I will post a link to them later.

Last year some of the entries so caught people's imagination that they were commissioned as well including Myrlyn's Jabberwock for one. And I will post links to these as well.

I will commission a new piece of art from Storn for probably May and we have until then to come up with ideas for him to do. I have revised the rules from the past five years.

First off people are allowed to contribute ideas BUT there is a snag.

As I am the one paying for it I have to approve it. And Storn has to be willing to draw it. Part of the idea is to challenge the artist with something he hasn't done before or not done in a while.

So some ground restrictions and rules.

(1) The picture has to be for Champions. It is what I play and it is in this forum that the thread is posted.

(2) Again this year patriots are welcome. But note, last year's winner was a patriot in that they wore the colours of Kenya. So it will be harder to convince me of a patriot as I have British Bulldog waiting to be done. I also have over 50 American patriotic or quasi patriotic heroes from pics or that Etherio put up previously. And try naming them. Sheesh !

It may be easier to get a non-US patriot done as this has a great deal of novelty value for not just Storn and I but everyone else as well. I have

(3) I am also allowing standard gun users again as they did not win last year. However Storn remains to be convinced.

(4) Beast motifs. Probably not. I had the Lioness pic done two years ago. And have an awful load of these already.

(5) Cheesecake. And anyone asking what this is risks a violent tribillating. I have one in the pipeline. And other ideas pending. Therefore I will probably not be selecting one purely on cheesecake terms.

(6) No kid heroes/villains. I like the over 18 crowd and proper heroes such as Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman etc. Anyone even suggesting something akin to the Power R*****S will be summarily subject to a dousing with crude oil. And this year we set you alight as well. And then dance around you invoking Mightybec.

(7) It must be something that I would want to use and something that would interest me. If not then no go ahead.

(8) Storn has certain restrictions of his own both because he will be putting the final product on his web site and has his own likes and dislikes. With this we will heed the former and indulge the latter. No Intellectual Property for example so no pics of Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Captain America.

(9) Idea can be of an agent, a normal superhero/villain or a boss/mastermind.

Bearing in mind the number of votes that Agent and Boss/Mastermind got in the trope poll this is a good time to get this posted.

(10) If you want Superman, Batman or Green Lantern analogues there has to be some thing about them visually to make Storn and I want to portray it and pay for it. If you don't post an idea, then it can't get done.

(11) Anyone who has had their idea done previously can apply again. There is no prejudice or bias either for or against you.

I'll post my own ideas next plus ones from last year that I am still willing to consider. So post your idea, if I like it then we'll proceed.

You may just have a name and we can bash ideas around about it until we get a full picture.

Of course if you don't like this approach you could always ask Storn yourself.

We have all through the months of March and April to post and reject ideas.

But it may take longer. And usually does.

Re: Storn Art from idea to Full Picture Year 6

Enforcer's Ice Brick

IceBrickloRes.jpg

Susano's Buddhist Nun

SadhanaloRes.jpg

Star from Pattern Ghost

StarF.jpg

Last Year's winner Kenya.

Death Tribble and I discussed "Flag" characters, perhaps combining it with Power Armor Suit characters and how many countries never really got represented in comics. DT worked up a list of 15 countries, I took a look at their flags.

I settled on Kenya... liked the iconic Masai shield quite a bit and worked that into a power armor design. The other discussion that was happening on a few boards was females and power armor... how to do it, make it look practical, (in a paranormal sense and setting), yet still register as a female under all that muscle weave and servos. So I wove that element in as well... so here we have a female Power Armor suit from Kenya. Hope y'all like.

ArmourKF.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5

The next two were commissioned by Bengal Elf from ideas he saw on the thread and liked

Here is an interdimensional superhero (or villain!) who can reform himself into thin shards, throw them around, teleport by forming in a new place. nasty.

Shard72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Here is a speedster with truncheons. And maybe a bit of martial arts prowess?

Greyhound72.jpg

And this is Myrlyn's Jabberwock as a reward for Myrlyn's vision seperately commissoned by me late last year.

Jwock72.jpg

Well, I don't want to seem like a broken record DT, but I'm going to renew my previous entry for this year's commission as well (this time villains only, sicne you already commissioned The Jabberwock hero previously):

Villains based on some Lewis Carroll characters (not necessarily to be associated with the Cheshire Cat or the Gryphon).

In my campaign, Wonderland is a real alternate dimension, but is also a slightly darker place than is perhaps depicted in the Lewis Carroll tales (though granted some parts of his tales are already dark). Some characters based on these tales might include:

• Alice - The adult version of the young Alice that tumbled down the rabbit hole. She faced some very scary creatures in Wonderland, and almost lost her head. These childhood traumas have hardened her and made her into a modern Martial Artist/Monster Hunter type (a la Buffy). Anti-hero NPC.

• Tweedledee and Tweedledum - This brick pair can drain peoples very intelligence merely by uttering a few warped and twisted phrases/riddles. Both are idiots themselves, and can be easily duped. Prone to combating one another as much as fighting their foes. Pathological fear of crows.

• Knave of Hearts (also known as the Jack of Hearts) - A master thief, with a reputation for romantic deviltry (sometimes you just can't beat the archetype).

• Queen of Hearts - An insane murderer and psychopath, but with a commanding presence. Wields a rod that can deliver a variety of power blasts. She is accompanied by her card soldiers/henchmen.

• The White Rabbit - This speedster is always in a rush to go somewhere, but is often easily confused. Also possesses ability to shrink to a mere fraction of his original size.

• The Caterpillar - A bizarre oracle like being, capable of inducing incredible shrinking and growth size changes in others using his mushrooms. Perhaps has some gas based NND attacks from his hookah.

• The March Hare - A madcap serial rapist villain. Despicable to the core and loony beyond compare. (Why a rapist? It comes from the roots of the phrase "Mad as a March hare")

• The Mad Hatter - It's just not a party without this insane criminal genius. A mentalist capable of projecting maddening illusions and causing vertigo like effects. Obsessed with time and time themed villains and heroes.

• The Duchess - A female brick of noble birth but with repugnant features who suffers from a multiple personality disorder causing her to alternate between kindly gestures and vicious, brutish attacks.

Thanks for reading! Looking forward to seeing the final commission Tribble!

Well, I think I may have pitched it before, but here's my idea.

Technomancer - A gadgeteer with a twist. While he has designed and created his own suit of power armor, high-tech and sleek, he also has the ability to modify technology by touch. As long as there is some (comic-book) way for the tech to be used in the fashion he wants, it works. For example, a motorcycle (or part of a car) could be transformed into a big gun. You'd see elements of the vehicle in the gun (perhaps the handlebars morph into the trigger, the exhaust pipe into a vent, etc). Perhaps he "revs" up the gun before it fires, and it belches smoke and flame from the exhaust port/vent.

I think the contrast between a high-tech suit and a patchwork motorcycle-gun would be interesting to draw. The downside is that you'd probably have to pay extra for the background, showing the unneeded pieces of whatever item he used as a basis for the new gadget scattered around his feet.

How about:

The Black Djinn: Once a mighty, mystical heroine named Scirocco, Nasim died at the hands of her own teammates during a freak training accident. Years later, she's returned as a creature of magic called The Black Djinn, a vile spirit bent on rage and revenge.

The Anti-Patriot: Who the Anti-Patriot is has been a mystery since he first appeared five years ago. At first, he was thought of as some wack-job with a gun ... but since then, the world has learned he's on a mission. With every day, the Anti-Patriot begins a new campaign against the nations' patriotic heroes ... it doesn't matter the country or the circumstance ... he'll find them and take them out.

Yay! One of my favorite threads has returned :bounce:

First a question, then an outrageous idea. I'll develop more ideas later.

1) Are duplicators cool? Or would that fall under too many drawings?

2) Outrageous idea: An anthropomorphic city. I'm not quite sure what this would look like... which is why I want to see it :D Inspired (in part) by the Mount Rushmore Golem.

And now from previously to show that I still have an eye on some of the ideas.

Two ideas from Remjin

I didn't see a restriction on power armor, and there are so many out there, but I'd like to see something in power armor that's large and in charge. Instead of the usual blaster types, I'd like to see a goliath brick. A big bad with exhaust screaming out of it from the excess heat generated by its high-science generator. Large through the legs and arms but not clunky, something slick with a small head. Something anime-ish, I guess, but minus the missile launchers and giant guns, maybe in a pose like pro-wrestler. Do it up in a blue and gold color scheme or even black and purple. =) I wanna see big feet and hands, overarmored forearms, but smooth is the overall theme rather than clunky.

Or...

A super-slick character, as in slippery, a guy who moves like glass over oil. Slim, sleek, body-tight clothes with a few aerodynamic flares in a pose that makes him look like he's sliding ultra-fast over pavement or the like. A facemask with a slit visor to protect him and help him perceive the movement or at least process it. Perhaps some kind of grapple-line shooters to help him make turns by shooting out a line around a pole to make sharp turns, and traction pieces on him so that he can brake and change directions some. =) Now that I think about it, I kind of want to play this character... hmmm... just neat sfx, I guess

Two sets of ideas listed below

From Enforcer84

Well, here's another Superteam of mine. A group of mystical/quasi mystical misfits sitting on the sidelines of the Good v Evil grudgematch.

Xombie: Gentleman Zombie. Think well preserved corpse of British nobility just before the Revolutionary War. Dresses well, doesn't seem to be rotting but deathly pale and odd, pupiless eyes

Grunt: Big muscle bound, bald, goatee, mindgem, nicely tailored suit.

Wildthorn: Dryad/Biker Chick hybrid

Devil Woman: Red Skinned, black haired beauty with Suggestive Sorceress robes

The Blade: a ninja trapped in a cursed suit of armor that allows him to summon bladed weapons (or just spikes and blades), something akin to the Shredder I suppose. Can't take of armor.

Mother Russia: A female werebear from the former Soviet Union.

Lon Ra: Antrhopomorphic (but short) Siamese cat, young sphinx lost in the world.

From Supreme Serpent

The Remnant

Figure floating in mid-air, patchwork of different tattered costumes, with some open spaces between body parts. In the spaces a glowing energy "skeleton" can be made out. One hand noticeably male, one noticeable female, some robotic parts, misc. possible foci. Several unrelated power effects going on at once.

Remnant is all that remains of the (insert hero team name here). Years past, their arch-nemesis managed to kill them with a massive explosion. The collective willpower combined with the team mystic's spirit to give them new "life" as a gestalt being, The Remnant, which thwarted the surprised villain. Today The Remnant mostly lives...somewhere...in seclusion, but will sometimes appear in times of great need.

Each of the parts retains some of the original hero's powers - the eye has vision powers and eyebeams, one arm can use fire, the other is super-strong, etc

Originally Posted by BoloOfEarth

Okay, here's a few:

Needler: A dart-thrower of extraordinary precision, his costume consists of a red, green, black, and white bodysuit patterned like a stylized dartboard (not just a chest emblem, but over most of the bodysuit, maybe stretched out of proportion like a Salvador Dali clock). He has a satchel to carry some darts, a segmented belt holding more, plus wristbands and boots (thick enough to hide even more darts). He also has gloss-black wraparound goggles (high-tech look, like maybe some vision enhancement or radar inside). He has medium-length red hair, somewhat messy.

ROVer: a gadgeteer, he wears an armored vest over a padded bodysuit, with a helmet sprouting several small radio antennae and goggles covering the eyes. A half-dozen metal spheres, about 4" in diameter, orbit around his chest/waist area (front and back), each with a camera mounted over a blaster focusing lens. His ROV (Remote-Operated Vehicles) are all built as robotic dogs (flyine Airedales, tough Pit Bulls, and general-purpose Dachshunds), so maybe have one by his side with the fur partially blasted away and showing the metal workings beneath

And these are from Sketchpad

- Typhoon: A mystic baddie that uses Atlantean artifacts to control water. In his supervillain state, he wears a tarnished bronze chest-plate and a few items like jeweled bracers and tiara-like crown. He can convert his body to water in parts or whole, as well as control sea-life and take on their attributes.

- Far-Out: A space/time traveller that's been lost for the past 30 years. He's returned and has discovered that the world has vastly changed. Wears a very mid-70s costume. Probably a large collar, some wide leggings. Has a tie-dye rainbow effect when he goes through time. Might even have the high shoulders like Starfox.

- Mechane: A Mechakinetic that controls machines. Has a machine body and can reconstruct machines into other things. Looks kind of human ... but also has some machine parts showing. Maybe a human-like head with some dark pieces mixed into chrome. Could be mistaken for power armor at a distance.

- Crosshair: A female marksman that uses hi-tech crossbows. Wears stylized kevlar with targeting goggles. Keeps her bolts on her legs for quick load and has holsters off the shoulder. Short hair so it stays out of her face.

Originally Posted by BobGreenwade

But let me try another "think out loud" item.

What don't we have so far...? A robot, perhaps?

I flashed on the idea of a robot with a human brain inside, but of course that's been done. It probably wouldn't be reflected much in the artwork anyway. So maybe there is a human brain, or maybe it's an AI.

But what could be unusual about the robot's appearance to make it appealing?

Maybe it has some sort of Lovecraftian aspect to it?

This robot has regular arms and legs to move about in our own world, but the arms have extendible tentacles -- let's say six each -- that can grab and move objects. Another dozen or so tentacles hang from the back of the head like dreadlocks, and serve in combat to deflect incoming attacks. Just for good measure, it can generate electrical shocks through the tentacles to knock opponents out (or help charge up allies' electrical equipment).

It can also fly around, using a built-in jetpack-like setup on its back. Jets in the soles of its feet are used for steering. The overall look is humanoid first, but also has a cephalapod-like appearance to the streamlining.

It probably has a bunch of other powers that wouldn't be reflected in the art: special senses, interfacing with other computers, sight and hearing Flash attacks, and so forth.

Let's call it one of the good guys; it looks like it does because the designer wanted a streamlined look, and is a fan of that kind of thing in movies and comics.

For a name, let's say... Streamline.

One of my ideas adapted by Cynthia Celeste Miller

Doctor Death. This is a grizzled veteran bad guy. He has a suit of power armour but not one that puts him in the class of the masterminds. It has a completely open head area. He is a member of a well known supervillain team or occasional group. He's American, has beard and mustache.

He is a bit of a brawler. That is as far as I have got with that idea. Inspired by the wrestler Steve 'Dr Death' Williams.

This next bit is from Cynthia Celeste Miller of Omnivlex fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynthia Celeste Miller

I'm going to toss in ideas for Death Tribble's Steve Williams-esque villain concept. Feel free to use any, all, or none of these ideas.

1) Perhaps he's a villain that some people have actually started to like over the years. Sure, he's a bad guy who does not-so-nice things, but he's been around so long and has defeated heroes that by all means should have been able to trounce him thoroughly that a portion of the citizens have begun to root for the old bastich. He's not an anti-hero by any means; he's still a full-fledged villain.

2) Since he's a grizzled veteran type, maybe he's rather stuck in the past. He doesn't like change, which is starting to seriously affect his career as a criminal. He doesn't use those "fancy schmancy computers", nor has he upgraded his armor since the early '80s. This could lead to some fun visuals for the armor, making it painfully retro looking. I like the idea of him being this dinosaur in our very modern times. I think it would give him a certain uniqueness.

3) If you really want to make him similar to Dr. Death, really play up the whole "Oklahoma bad-ass" aspect of the character. Heck, there's no reason why you couldn't even factor in the pro wrestler aspect. Maybe his unruliness in the ring and his tendency to seriously injure his opponents caused him to be black-balled from the sport, inadvertently causing him to turn to a life of crime. If you go with the pro wrestling idea, I'd avoid using the name Dr. Death though. Some alternatives: Dr. Pain, Dr. Piledriver, Slammer, Powerslam, or Roughhouse.

These last ones are all mine,

'The other man was almost as tall as his companion but obscenely fat, his enormous belly hanging pendulously between his thighs. His body appeared out of proportion to his legs, which were short and slightly bowed. The fat man's face was perfectly round and quite pale but his features were very delicate: green eyes enclosed by long dark lashes; a thin unbroken nose; and a long mouth with full dark lips that were almost feminine.

Ay passing resemblence of facial beauty were undone by his chin and the tumorous distended neck in which it lost itself.

He was balding but his remaining hasir was very black and cut short against his skull'

Heavy Metal Angel. The Angel is constructed of metal like a sculpture of a skeleton except the main body particularly around the spine has musculature

It is sharp and pointy rather than being smooth. The wings are very skeletal and are more of a frame, there are no feathers.

These two above are based on John Connolly's The Black Angel and a statue in the book but it is organic and the real thing.

A set of battlesuits from the 40s to modern day. Sort of like Iron Man's suits but for the Champions board.

This will be more than one pic obviously.

A Type V Demon either as a half drow/half type V with black skin only four arms and Elvish features or the real deal classic Type V original Monster Manual version. In both cases they have been pulled from a comic and are adapting to the real world as it were. In the latter case the Demon has all sorts of weapons in its multi-handed grasp.

A suit of armour, the Turtle suit. A dwarf pilots the suit which is on four legs and has a quasi rubber neck to a head with two small laser attachments to either side of the head. We just get to see the suit not the pilot.

New This year

Captain Gorilla of the Star Patrol. A gorilla in a space uniform with helmet and covering the abdomen with a blaster pistol and a pair of wings jetpack. Talks in a rather contrived way ie ‘Halt perpetrators of evil deeds !’

Pandamonium. A Panda battlesuit. Black and white with a guy pulling levers in the cockpit in order to get it to work.

The control room is deep in the bowels of the Prometheans Headquarter. There the mutant cyberpath Oracle is wired into the nations highspeed fiberoptics system monitoring everything from military com to criminal cell chatter. She is the heart of the machine - a human more alien than the tech she has fused with. Her awareness of the immediate surroundings gone save for the most urgent needs.

Oracle is the leader of the heroic Prometheans.

The first instinct is to go with the cliche image of the hot chick with tubes everywhere but that won't really do. I think an image of her floating in front of a reflective computer bank with the reflection looking like a city electrical grid (instead of her fleshy reflection) would be sweet.

Probably a bit too much filler work for this... I keep thinking.

I've been poking around my superhero universe, the Legacy Universe, to see if there are any characters that might be interesting for Storn to draw. After all, having a Storn drawing in the gallery would be a Very Cool ThingTM. :)

I ruled out anyone who seemed too mundane, or who had character concepts that had either already been done by Storn or were already on the list, or whom I've already arranged to have drawings done (whether they've been completed or not). What's left, more or less, are:

General Bones: Basically, a skeleton in a military officer's uniform. He's actually an lich, though he takes the "army of the undead" aspect of his abilities very seriously. I tend to see him in formal dress-blues somewhat like the US Marines or Air Force, though since he's from a parallel world it wouldn't be a precise match-up.

Rattler: As a youth, Starr Reynolds was kidnapped by genetic terrorists and injected with DNA from rattlesnakes and other reptiles. This transformed him into -- you guessed it -- a humanoid reptile. Since then, he escaped, becoming a private investigator to pay his way through law school. The overall visual effect is to take Spider-Man's old nemesis The Lizard and dress him in a white Armani suit, though his general appearance is more snake-like (the tail, by the way, comes to a point, not a rattle) and his bearing is much more cultured and casual.

Mother Lode: This is the least developed of these concepts. Basically she's a middle-aged female brick whose body appears to be made of iron ore.

Emerald Flame: Red-headed, hot-tempered Irishwoman with fire-based powers, except that the flames manifest in green.

Speed Bump: One of my favorites -- an accident-prone speedster. (I originally came up with him as a knockoff remark, but decided to work him up as a character and found that I really like him!) At this stage of his development, he's a villain-turned hero. He wears a black bodysuit with diagonal yellow stripes, and a similarly-colored bicycle helmet.

• 2 weeks later...

In a Hero Chat discussion yesterday I came to realize that I had no illustrations of any of my interdimensional NPC heroes, the Interlopers, either in hand or in some artist's queue. So I'll post some brief information on a couple of them:

Changeling: A shapeshifter who, in her natural form, is a Leanan Sidhe. She looks the part (in her normal form), with the pointy ears and accented eyebrows, though her choice of clothing is decidedly modern, with a leaning toward pantsuits.

Captain Marvel II: An electric-powered hero from a world where people dress in Colonial-era clothing. I don't have a firm idea of what his costume is like, but I rather favor something resembling an early US Army uniform with lightning-bolt insignia.

Would there be any interest in having any pics of the Tyranny League from this thread ?

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69788

Yes. Definitely. Absolutely. Sure.
If I had the Gestalt book, I'd be strongly in favor of it. Then put the stats and illos together into a PDF.

But I don't think I'd want to have that supplant the other creative possibilities already posted here. Do it separately.

• 2 weeks later...