Hero Extreme Edition

Crypt

Based on several facts, ideas, perceptions and/or informations :

- the reasoning from effect principle

- the option where Dex is splitted in three parts

- the disappearance of figured stats and figured CVs in 6E

- the existence of powers like leaping

ETC....

i imagine an extreme natural evolution of HERO where only Powers exist.

No more chars, skills, etc.

For instance a char like STR would no longer exist.

You (may) pay for the abilities to lift things, throw things, have a physical damage base, etc... What we imagine "strength" is in real life would be the package of all those powers but nothing would force you to imitate reality.

Nothing would be free. No running basic value, no perception basic value, etc....

You pay for anything you are able to. If you want realism you just have to buy each pieces of this so called reality. (IMHO the majority of mechanical troubles in RPGs comes from figured values.)

There would be only one kind of "char" = one or several type of bodies which would be the bases from which powers are linked to.

Power=action

Action needs existence

Existence=one type of "body"

A body could be organical, mental, spiritual, magical, robotic, totally alien, etc.....and must be bought with points.

Each power would have to be linked to a body.

If the relevant body is "stunned" or "killed", the linked powers no longer works.

Because a body may be damaged it would be worth considering buying a recovery rate for it.

You could also buy protection powers for it.

Old skills would be some kind of non-automatic Powers.

Some actions (powers) needs energy (mana, endurance, etc.....) which itself could a have (or not) a recovery rate.

Some actions also need perception powers.

etc...

please, please just imagine it for a second before arguing about keeping the very classical (archaeological) and not Hero specific stats and skills :)

Re: Hero Extreme Edition

It'll never happen, at least not in the core rule book. People like those divisions of abilities you just have for being a creature from things you learn from your Powers, and very few people want to go from scratch. Personally, I'd prefer going from scratch and taking a pre-built Template: if I'm human, I take the one with the standard Characteristic block, human Senses, Running, and so on. But that's an unusual attitude.

Based on several facts, ideas, perceptions and/or informations :

please, please just imagine it for a second before arguing about keeping the very classical (archaeological) and not Hero specific stats and skills :)

Should I post a link to HYBRID here? :)

I can't see a game with this degree of granularity being popular among anything but a very select niche market of hardcore Game Mechanics. With that much division and things to purchase to make even the simplest of characters it probably would be sort of an example of some of the hyperbolic complaints leveled at Hero.

Well, you asked..:sneaky:

http://hybrid-rpg.blogspot.com/

Please forgive me. :)

you know, that blog reminds me of those rooms in Mental Institutions, where the crazy person draws a ton of pictures and other stuff on the walls. Only they know what it all means and it's vaguely disturbing looking at the whole thing.

re the OP.

That system reminds me of the thought experiments that used to be seen on AOL's Hero Boards. Where the whole system was boiled down to 4 powers and everything else was created with Special effects, Advantages and Limitations. It was an interesting way to look at purchasing powers and may have influenced Steve when he decided to use powers to build Talents.

To actually use in real life I would say NO. This is the kind of "simplification" that is actually adding a ton of complication to the powers. It would build in to the system a HUGE learning curve, which is not a good things for a RP system.

You will see that most beginning players will choose base powers and really not do much to them with limitations and advantages. As players become more comfortable with how powers are put together, then you see them start to use Limitations and Advantages in more complex ways to accurately model the abilities they want for their character.

I can't see a game with this degree of granularity being popular among anything but a very select niche market of hardcore Game Mechanics. With that much division and things to purchase to make even the simplest of characters it probably would be sort of an example of some of the hyperbolic complaints leveled at Hero.

Well, you wouldn't leave it in that state any more than you wouldn't provide Power Creation examples with Hero. You'd have that as your base and then your power list would be based around it, making it consistent though unlikely to have as nice a number set as we have (even with rounding, probably a lot of 7 and 13 point powers and whatnot). If done very well you might get both the hard-core gaming wonks and the more "casual" (in quotes because we're still talking a Hero-like game) gamers to like it.

Which is why it's almost bound to fail: the HCGW is likely the one that would write it, and wouldn't make it accessible to anyone else.