Making the PC's PAY!! (Dearly)

SimComm

Hi All,

I just realized that I may have something a bit different in my game that I'm not sure if anyone's been playing around with before.

Our game has quite a few metahumans, and one thing that you can buy is an "independant metahuman liscence," which basically allows them to operate as super-heroes within a very limited margin (sort of like being PI's, but with super-powers).

However, they have a lot of red tape and you have to jump through a lot of hoops, the least of which is having to go through quarterly evaluations, psych meetings, and keeping fastidious records.

And, of course, if you do anything in the process of arresting a criminal that is deemed "excessive" you have to PAY for it.

Our group has been wallowing in poverty in and out so many times, but it does make it a bit fun, as it's always tempting for them to go out and become "official" federal type super-heroes, but it requires them to fully disclose their powers (they have magic and psi powers in a world that doesn't believe in either).

I was wondering if anyone's done something similiar, as I do like that the PCs will get themselves into sometimes questionable situations trying to pay the bills...

Best,

-SC

Re: Making the PC's PAY!! (Dearly)

Just because you have a license to do something doesn't mean that it comes with a paycheck...

BTW having the heroes be licensed may also have a mitigating effect on your problem child. It would give the other PC's a reason to keep a lid on his excesses.

Also the "Magic" could be assumed to be mutant powers on official documentation. Bureaucrats love pigeonholes, they don't like folk who don't fit into their worldview. So it's possible that the examiner would hear magic powers and put "Mutant" or "late onset Mutation" on the official paperwork. The Psi could be a problem esp if she could prove it (ie strong Telepathy).

Tasha

The interesting thing is that BloodClaw isn't licensed. He absolutely refuses to be put down on paper (mysterious/bad past thing), so he's kind of a loose cannon that the other PCs have to put up with.

Still, I have seen them use him if they don't want to get "officially" involved with something, but want someone there anyway.

-SC

The interesting thing is that BloodClaw isn't licensed. He absolutely refuses to be put down on paper (mysterious/bad past thing), so he's kind of a loose cannon that the other PCs have to put up with.

Still, I have seen them use him if they don't want to get "officially" involved with something, but want someone there anyway.

-SC

if he has amnesia like woverine he subconsiously remembers deserting his military unit thats why he dosen't want to be recorded or maybe he was in or unknown to the PCs still IS a protected witness typhat could explain it

Hi All,

I just realized that I may have something a bit different in my game that I'm not sure if anyone's been playing around with before.

Our game has quite a few metahumans, and one thing that you can buy is an "independant metahuman liscence," which basically allows them to operate as super-heroes within a very limited margin (sort of like being PI's, but with super-powers).

This is a great idea, and I'm glad you're doing it. I used something similar, with good results.

My players are always paranoid about their identities and powers, so getting them to work in any "official" capacity has always been tough. But a few Champions campaigns back, I borrowed a neat idea from Bob Greenwade: his Oregon Hero Sanction, modified slightly* to fit my game world. It worked quite well, and the players liked having some (minor) police powers in exchange for a little oversight.

As GM, I had to resist the urge to have them being sanctioned bite them on the butts -- IIRC, only once did I have a group of villains attempt to steal the Paranormal Activities Board's computer files on superheroes, and the response from heroes from all over the state was enough to reassure the players that their identities and other information were all fairly secure.

*One modification I included was having six different files on each registered paranormal, with only one containing correct information. The others had bogus identity information, incorrect information on powers, etc. Only the members of the PAB knew which was the right file. Also, two board members were required to access any given file, so (for instance) PSI couldn't just mind-control the governor to get access to the files.

*One modification I included was having six different files on each registered paranormal, with only one containing correct information. The others had bogus identity information, incorrect information on powers, etc. Only the members of the PAB knew which was the right file. Also, two board members were required to access any given file, so (for instance) PSI couldn't just mind-control the governor to get access to the files.

That's rather clever actually.

The last game I played in skipped over a lot of 'how to meet the bills' kinda thing simply because being crime fighters was such a full time freakin' job. We had:

1. One character that worked for Mars Needs Pizza Shop.

2. Another that worked part time in a sporting good's store while attending college.

3. Another that worked at a near campus gym where a lot of the college kids came to work out and such (again another college student).

4. Another that worked as a research scientist at a facility and could kind of make his own hours.

5. Another that worked as a freelance crime reporter for a small china-town centric newspaper.

6. Another that was working as a minor talent in a paranormal wrestling circuit (our brick).

7. Another that was a Paramedic (ambulance driver) at the local hospital.

8. And another that was jobless by means of his powers. (A shapeshifter that grew up on a reservation. He was never much in the way or need for money, or shelter perse). He spent most of his time out of the city proper, masquerading as a horse.

Of all of us, I think our Energy Blaster/Paramedic was the only one that actually lost his job for too many missed days. I think the sporting goods worker may have lost her job as well, but I can't remember if it was because of absenteeism or because her boss was deeply in debt to a loan shark and needed to get out of town 'QUICK'. I'm hazy on that.

All in all, our GM played fast and loose with our civilian lives, to keep things interesting. When we were swept away by a dimensional rift and worked to escape a world taken over by lovecraftian style horrors, when we got back several weeks had past in our home dimension where only a few days had past for us subjectively. Our Sporting goods store worker bemoaned the fact that she'd missed her finals and likely failed her classes.

But she was able to appeal to her instructors and able to take her finals, or something of that nature. As I said it was very episodic. Bad stuff would happen, but we'd always find a way to make it mostly right or do damage control at the end of the episode. 'Usually'.

Hi All,

However, they have a lot of red tape and you have to jump through a lot of hoops, the least of which is having to go through quarterly evaluations, psych meetings, and keeping fastidious records.

And, of course, if you do anything in the process of arresting a criminal that is deemed "excessive" you have to PAY for it.

Our group has been wallowing in poverty in and out so many times, but it does make it a bit fun, as it's always tempting for them to go out and become "official" federal type super-heroes, but it requires them to fully disclose their powers (they have magic and psi powers in a world that doesn't believe in either).

I was wondering if anyone's done something similiar, as I do like that the PCs will get themselves into sometimes questionable situations trying to pay the bills...

Best,

-SC

I do something simular, each hero needs to decide "Lisenced, or not lisenced" Though I keep the red tape and hassles on the down-low...the Feds Really want the program to work...