Thrown Mastery or somthing akin....

heavy_metal

Ok I'm thinking about doing a Bullseye style character. ANY object he picks up can be thrown accuratly & well...deadly. Now several years ago there was an article in Dragon (I think) that hada 'new' talent in there called Thrown Mastery, but I havent had said article in years. I was thinking about just taking CSL's to simulate the ability. Just seein how some of y'all might do it???

Re: Thrown Mastery or somthing akin....

There are a couple ways. A fairly straightforward one is buying attacks with OIF (objects of opportunity). For instance:

30 Deadly with Anything: Multipower (60p), OIF (objects of opportunity), Restrainable

3u Blunt Object: Energy Blast 12d6

3u Sharp Object: RKA 4d6

3u Blinding Shot: Sight Flash 12d6 (just momentarily blinds, permanent would be a Transform)

Other tricks like bank shots and rapid fire can be done several ways:

1) Put them in the Multipower directly (i.e. Rapid Fire would be an Energy Blast 8d6, Autofire x5).

2) Get them as Naked Advantages. The advantage of this is that you can use them with other existing attacks, such as if you pick up someone else's electrified throwing knife.

3) Just buy lots of CSLs and use manuevers like Rapid Fire.

A second way is to go with a pretty minimal base attack:

5 Deadly with Anything: Multipower (10p), OIF (objects of opportunity), Restrainable

1u Blunt Object: Energy Blast 2d6

1u Sharp Object: RKA 1d6-1

Then get a ranged martial arts style, with thrown objects as a Weapon Element, and lots of damage levels. This also gives you a convenient way to get things like ranged trip and disarm. Also, if you get the WFs and Weapon Elements for it, you can use this with existing weapons that you get via resources.

Of course, plenty of CSLs would still be a good idea.

Looks good, if you're going to be a non-power Dark champs look at several levels, and deadly blow for thrown objects as a cheap and easy build...

Deadly Blow: Thrown objects

Range levels say +4

Levels with thrown objects, then look at Ranged martial arts for Disarm and throw at range moves...

I would look at approaching this build from three angles. First is the objects thrown a small multipower with say a Energy Blast and Killing attack to get you started . This first multipower would have the Focus requirement. Then a second multipower for Throwing Master these would mimic the attacks from the first multipower with a weak limited requires weapons of opportunity. Add to this Combat Skill levels that match or exceed the damage classes of these two multipowers. This would allow the character to take say a 1 Pip Killing Attack (Playing Card) and stagger bonuses to bring it into something a lot more formidable using the multiple power attack rules.

Okay, here's what I would use, incorporating some of the new ideas from this thread:

Throwing Mastery (30 active point, reserve), Oif (objects of opportunity, -1/2), all powers range based on strength (-1/4) (20)

1)Thrown Blunt Objects- 6d6 energy blast (physical); Oif (-1/2) end, range based on strength (-1/4) (2u) 3 end

2)Thrown Sharp Objects- 2d6 rka (physical); Oif (-1/2), range based on strength (-1/4) (2u) 3 end

3)Pin to Wall- 3d6 def 3 entangle; cannot form barriers (-1/4), Oif (-1/2), range based on strength (-1/4) (1u) 3 end

4)Flip the Switch- Strength 2 telekinesis with fine manipulation; only to push/strike (-1/2), Oif (-1/2), range based on strength (-1/4) (1u) 1 end

5)"Here's Mud in your Eye!"- 6d6 sight group flash; stopped by forcefield or forcewall (-1/2), Oif (-1/2), range based on strength (-1/4) (1u) 3 end

6)Blunt Banked Shot- Fully Indirect (+3/4) 3d6 energy blast (physical); Oif (-1/2) end, range based on strength (-1/4) (2u) 3 end

7)Blunt Sharp Shot- Fully Indirect (+3/4) 1d6 rka (physical); Oif (-1/2) end, range based on strength (-1/4) (1u) 3 end

Total Cost: 30 points. I feel that restrainable is not a valid lim for this power but range based on strength is a natural, but YMMV. Add CSLs and PSLs to flavour.

Okay, here's what I would use, incorporating some of the new ideas from this thread:

Throwing Mastery (30 active point, reserve), Oif (objects of opportunity, -1/2), all powers range based on strength (-1/4) (20)

1)Thrown Blunt Objects- 6d6 energy blast (physical); Oif (-1/2) end, range based on strength (-1/4) (2u) 3 end

2)Thrown Sharp Objects- 2d6 rka (physical); Oif (-1/2), range based on strength (-1/4) (2u) 3 end

3)Pin to Wall- 3d6 def 3 entangle; cannot form barriers (-1/4), Oif (-1/2), range based on strength (-1/4) (1u) 3 end

4)Flip the Switch- Strength 2 telekinesis with fine manipulation; only to push/strike (-1/2), Oif (-1/2), range based on strength (-1/4) (1u) 1 end

5)"Here's Mud in your Eye!"- 6d6 sight group flash; stopped by forcefield or forcewall (-1/2), Oif (-1/2), range based on strength (-1/4) (1u) 3 end

6)Blunt Banked Shot- Fully Indirect (+3/4) 3d6 energy blast (physical); Oif (-1/2) end, range based on strength (-1/4) (2u) 3 end

7)Blunt Sharp Shot- Fully Indirect (+3/4) 1d6 rka (physical); Oif (-1/2) end, range based on strength (-1/4) (1u) 3 end

Total Cost: 30 points. I feel that restrainable is not a valid lim for this power but range based on strength is a natural, but YMMV. Add CSLs and PSLs to flavour.

I figure the cost for the above is 26 pts.

30/(1+1/2+1/4)=17

9 pts for the seven slots [2x2+5x1]

17+9=26

I figure the cost for the above is 26 pts.

30/(1+1/2+1/4)=17

9 pts for the seven slots [2x2+5x1]

17+9=26

Yeah, you're correct- I started the Multi Power and then went back to add the range based on Str lim but forgot to factor the change in the reserve cost. Thanks for catching that for me.

Sorry, wait- 17 points for the base plus 10 for the slots (3x2 and 4x1)= 27points.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, thanx guys. Ive been out fopr a few. but you have all given me really good angles. thanx again.

I had originally had thoiught about just several RCSL to off set placed shots & bouncing effects. but Yeah I also like the idea of a Multipower.