Lucha Libre convention game!

teh bunneh

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Lucha Libre convention game!

That sounds really cool' date=' Jed. Hope you'll tell us how it goes! :)[/quote']

Sure, I'll make a note to let you know how the game goes. Thanks.

Anyway, a straightforward "by the book" lucha libre game will come first. That will be exotic enough for most people. (I was hoping to see Mil Máscaras vs. the Aztec Mummy before the con, but that movie is still not out on DVD. So I'm sticking to a few comics and the classic 70s material I've got.)

The non-kayfabe thing will take a while to figure out.

Edit: For anyone interested, my LLH game is announced on the convention's website. There is not that much information, but you can find it right here: http://www.dreieichcon.de/pen_and_paper_rollenspiel_samstag_hero_wrestler.htm

don'tforget to take cultural differences into account

You mean differences between Mexican and American pro-wrestling, Bubba?

I'm not quite sure. At the con in Germany, chances are that nobody knows Mexican wrestling. Only a year ago, I hardly knew anything about it. The Mucha Lucha cartoon and Jack Black in Nacho Libre have worked wonders to popularize that art form.

Edit: For anyone interested' date=' my LLH game is announced on the convention's website. There is not that much information, but you can find it right here: http://www.dreieichcon.de/pen_and_paper_rollenspiel_samstag_hero_wrestler.htm[/quote']

Wrestlers vs. the Wildest Werewolves of them all? Am I translating that right? My German's a little (a lot!) rusty...

Wrestlers vs. the Wildest Werewolves of them all? Am I translating that right? My German's a little (a lot!) rusty...

That is almost right.

"All" in this sentence means "space", like outer space. The title in full is actually, "Wrestlers meet the wild werewolf spawn (brood?) from outer space". ;)

When I sent them my game session info, all I had was the title. Now I'm making a plot to go along with that title. (As the book says, the story in a licha libre film does not have to make a lot of sense.)

"All" in this sentence means "space"' date=' like outer space. The title in full is actually, "Wrestlers meet the wild werewolf spawn (brood?) from outer space". ;) [/quote']

Ah, OK. Thanks! My meager German classes back in college apparently didn't cover anything from outer space. ;)

When I sent them my game session info, all I had was the title. Now I'm making a plot to go along with that title. (As the book says, the story in a licha libre film does not have to make a lot of sense.)

Yeah, that's exactly how my Lucha games are. I come up with a title and a one-paragraph description, and then later I figure out how to build an adventure around that. My next game is:

"¡Los Misteriosos contra los Zombis Azteca!"

Mexico City is overrun by horrible monsters of every sort, innocent townspeople are disappearing, and the evil Doctor Muerte is back! Who can stop him before the whole world succumbs to his wicked scheme? Why, the world's greatest Technicos, of course! Hearken back to the Golden Age of Lucha, when men wore masks, women wore miniskirts, and anything could (and frequently did!) happen.

All I know about it is that it has to have Aztec Zombies, disappearing townspeople, and Dr. Muerte in it. :D

A brief recommendation and plug for people thinking about running Lucha con games- many short Pulp adventures can easily be luchafied by changing the locale, adding more wrestling and removing half the sense. Like, for example, those found in Thrilling Hero Adventures. I've luchafied a couple of those to pretty well-received effect. dw

...many short Pulp adventures can easily be luchafied by changing the locale' date=' adding more wrestling and removing half the sense...[/quote']

I love the concept of a genre where one of the defining elements is that it is light on logic and rationale.

"No, no, less sense! The adventure must make less sense... go back to the drawing board. Get rid of that deep emotional resonance and throw in Aztec Zombies and a bar room brawl instead."

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine, who played in one of my Lucha games at the last big Denver convention, just sent me this email:

By the way, Bill: the other day I saw that El Hijo del Santo is coming to the Denver Coliseum. I was ridiculously excited to know who that is, thanks to Lucha Libre Hero! My wife was someone less impressed... ;)

:rofl:

Very cool response from your friend there.

As for me, I saw a great wrestling show on Halloween (last Saturday) featuring the finest wrestlers from Dragon Gate. They use a style sometimes called lucharesu (from Mexican lucha libre and Japanese puroresu). I got all of their autographs, also the Young Bucks' autographs. I feel like I'm 15 years old all over again. (I'm really 35. So that's 20 years as a wrestling fan.)

I also got a chance to talk to the one and only Mike Quackenbush, an American luchador, for a minute or two. That made my day! He's such a kind fellow in real life. Next year, I want to travel to Pennsylvania to see one of his Chikara wrestling shows.

:)

From another friend, who wasn't playing in my game but was sitting at a table nearby working on a different project ...

I certainly wouldn't've bothered making an 'El Halieto' costume for my main on Champions Online if it weren't for listening to your lucha games.

:D

I also got a chance to talk to the one and only Mike Quackenbush, an American luchador, for a minute or two. That made my day! He's such a kind fellow in real life. Next year, I want to travel to Pennsylvania to see one of his Chikara wrestling shows.

:)

Quackenbush wrestles in New York a lot- I saw him at the Lucha Va Voom show last month. He's really very good. dw

• 2 weeks later...

Quackenbush wrestles in New York a lot- I saw him at the Lucha Va Voom show last month. He's really very good. dw

You're right.

I wish I was geographically closer to events by Lucha Va-Voom, PWG, PWS, Shimmer, Dragon Gate USA, and especially Chikara.

Chikara just rocks. :) It isn't just another indie wrestling promotion. Chikara is a comicbook fan's entertainment dream. IMHO, the perfect combination of unorthodox lucha libre wrestling, comicbook heroes, sci-fi, comedy, music and performance art.

I have only four more days to go till my Lucha Libre convention game. I'm really excited about it. The convention I'll be attending is next weekend, on November 21-22.

This just happens to also be the same weekend that Chikara is holding their last two events for this calendar year.

For those of you in the Philadelphia area this weekend, this might be a great chance to catch some top-notch American lucha libre and fun. Tickets to Chikara shows are not on the expensive side, either. I just received this info:

CHIKARA's Season 8 Finale hits Philly this Sunday!

The CHIKARA gang returns to The (ECW) Arena in South Philadelphia for our final event of Season 8, which promises to deliver closure to some of the year's biggest rivalries, and maybe even some answers to lingering issues! All of CHIKARA's biggest stars will be on hand for this momentous occasion!

Signed for Sunday afternoon, November 22nd in Philly:

~TAG TITLE MATCH: BEST of 3 FALLS!~

Fire Ant & Soldier Ant vs. Ophidian & Amasis

~RESPECT MATCH!~

Claudio Castagnoli vs. Eddie Kingston

~THE INEVITABLE CONFRONTATION!~

Hallowicked & Frightmare vs. Delirious & UltraMantis Black

~FOR THE YOUNG LIONS CUP!~

Player Dos vs. Lince Dorado

~SIX-MAN TAG ACTION!~

Mike Quackenbush & Jigsaw & Jorge Rivera vs. F.I.S.T.

~AERIAL WARFARE!~

Helios vs. Yujiro Kushida

~JUST ADDED!~

Dasher Hatfield & Sugar Dunkerton & Carpenter Ant & Green Ant

vs. Vin Gerard & STIGMA & Colin Delaney & Brodie Lee

Tickets for our upcoming events are available here! The wait for our October shows (including the 6th annual Torneo Cibernetico) is over - the official DVD's are up at Smart Mark Video right now! Complete with a new, original cover, plus backstage interviews, these are great collectors items for CHIKARA fans new and old! Support CHIKARA by getting your official DVD's through our exclusive distributor, Smart Mark Video.com!

Throwing Life's Instructions Away

11.21.2009 - Saturday Evening

Live @ The Palmer Center!

4100 Green Pond Rd.

in spacious Easton, PA!

The action starts @ 7:00 pm!

Three-Fisted Tales

11.22.2009 - Sunday Afternoon

Live @ The (ECW) Arena!

7 W. Ritner St. (corner of Swanson!)

in clean South Philly, PA!

The action starts @ 4:00 pm!

Our homebase: www.chikarapro.com - Now in Japanese!

For our free, weekly video podcast: www.chikarapodcast.com

Get free updates on your mobile device: twitter.com/chikarapro

Join our official fan club: www.chikarmy.com

On Facebook! www.facebook.com/chikarapro

On MySpace! www.myspace.com/chikarapro

how can chickara hold a show at the ecw arena ?

dosen't the WWE,owners of ECW HAD AN EXCLUSIVE use of venue clause in its contracts in re wrestling promotions that would prevent another promotion from having shows there?

There is certainly no exclusive venue contract that applies to that building in Philly.

The Arena was once known as the Viking Hall, then became the ECW Arena, then became something else again, but today wrestling fans still call it the (old) ECW Arena for simplicity's sake. It was used by the original independent ECW under Paul Heyman (1993 - 2000), not by the current ECW, which is a brand of WWE.

WWE only held one event at that building, back in 2006.

The Arena has been used as a venue by dozens of professional boxing and wrestling promotions over the last decade. It's currently hosting Ring of Honor as well as Dragon Gate USA and others. So, nothing exclusive about it.