Lucha Libre convention game!

teh bunneh

I'm planning on running a Lucha game at Tacticon (Denver's summer/autumn con). These characters are "inspired by" the characters in the LLH book -- I simplified them quite a bit. This is technically a 5e game (though I doubt it matters much, since the game plays the same way). Please take a look at the charsheet and let me know if I missed anything.

Thanks!

Yes, I left END off deliberately. I never use it in a con game. :drink:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Lucha Libre convention game!

For those who asked, I built this in Adobe InDesign. The fonts are El Rio Lobo (for the character name) and Alor (for pretty much everything else). Same fonts as are in the LLH book. The character portraits are by our very own Dr. Destiny, also as seen in the LLH book. :)

I've been drawing in Adobe Illustrator since 1987 and I'm still left stunned by his work on those character portraits. That is some amazingly good artwork.

That's mighty nice of you, thanks :)

It was born out of neccessity, as a show I was working on needed illustrations done for a 48 sheet poster, so clean, scalable artwork was vital.

I was thinking of doing a Lucha game at some point. Let us know how it goes!

Some sage advice: you really can't go wrong when your con game revolves around masked Mexican wrestlers throwing holds on werewolfs, vampires, and Aztec mummies. If you build it, they will come. I let two guys play the monsters at my last one and still had to turn two people away.

I was thinking of doing a Lucha game at some point. Let us know how it goes! :)

I shall indeed!

Some sage advice: you really can't go wrong when your con game revolves around masked Mexican wrestlers throwing holds on werewolfs' date=' vampires, and Aztec mummies. If you build it, they will come. I let two guys play the monsters at my last one and [i']still[/i] had to turn two people away.

In my game, it's gonna be werewolves, Frankenstein's monsters, and super-powered midgets. :smoke:

...and your Supergran character sheet looks awsome!

Thanks! :)

Is it wrong that I am this excited to find out the exact Font names used in Lucha Libre Hero?

Not at all! I'm a font junkie, myself. I'm flattered that other people have complimented me on the font choices in the book. :o

It's pretty tempting to me' date=' too. The master villain in question was perhaps my favorite part of the whole book! (For some reason, I prefer her by the name Ms. Doctor Frankenstein, though... maybe something about the absurdity of clashing titles.)[/quote']

why was she describedin LLHby that title anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

Lucha Libre: Actual Play!

So I had a chance to play Lucha Libre Hero for the first time last weekend. Despite having been up to my armpits in it for the last 9+ months, I hadn't actually had a chance to sit around a table and play it! So to remedy that, I ran two games of it at our local gaming con.

First off, let me just say that this game is fun. Nobody at any of my tables knew anything about the Lucha Libre genre. One guy was a wrestling fan and could pick Rey Misterio out of a lineup, but didn't really have any background in Mexican wrestling. Which turns out to be just fine -- once you explain the rules of the road (so to speak) everyone really gets into it.

For my first table, I only had 3 players. I was afraid I wasn't going to get to run, since only one guy had a ticket. But then a gal walked by and asked if I was looking for players, and she joined the game. Then a guy I know (Fedifensor, from these boards) came by and I recruited him too. Three players was plenty! They chose to play Supergran the Atomic Aztec, Amazonia the Jungle Princess, and Caveman Cortez the Wrestling Neanderthal Detective -- the perfect combination of brawn, beauty, and brains!

The adventure I ran was something I came up with called "Los Misteriosos Contra la Hija del Frankenstein" (The Mysterious Ones vs. The Daughter of Frankenstein). In it, the heroes have to stop the evil Dr. Mrs. Frankenstein from stealing the machismo of their fellow tecnicos and using it to power her unstoppable army of midget wrestlers.

(Yes, seriously. That was the plot).

(No, really. It was).

The heroes fought werewolves, Frankenstein's monsters, and super-powered midgets. In the end, Supergran picked up La Hija del Frankenstein and threw her into a bank of computers, which exploded and killed her in a shower of sparks. No one could have possibly survived that! ...at least, not until the sequel comes out. :eg:

There were a lot of great moments. The best was when Supergran picked his Carmen Ghia (little sporty car) up over his head and smashed some evil midgets with it. :rockon: They also had a lot of great one-liners; Supergran and Caveman Cortez were trading jokes through every fight. They put a mailbox over Frankenstein's head so he couldn't see them, and then kept making post office jokes. :rofl:

The game ended a little bit early, partially because we had only three players, partially because one of my players asked me to end it early so he could prep for the game he was running in the next slot. But everyone had a grand time. I gave a copy of Lucha Libre Hero to the girl playing Amazonia, and a Lucha Libre dice bag to the guy playing Caveman Cortez. I hope I'll see them both again at the next con!

I ran my second game on Sunday morning, the last day of the con. Everyone was tired, but that's an OK state of mind to play Lucha Libre in. It's not like there's a lot of thinking required. ;) This time I had a full table -- 5 players. A couple of the people at the table I've gamed with before, a few others were newbies. And once again, everyone really got into the game. It ran a little bit differently the second time. For one thing, they didn't kill La Hija -- Amazonia wrestled her into submission and then they arrested her.

Best moment of this game: Amazonia had just crushed a Frankenstein between her mighty thighs, and she was complaining about how men "just don't last." Caveman Cortez made a snarky comment, and the next thing you know the two of them are in the back of a van making out. :love:

BigDamnHero, who played Caveman Cortez, got the best roleplayer award (a copy of Lucha Libre Hero). And once again, a great time was had by all!

All in all, the games were both huge successes. I'm definitely going to run them again in the future (our next convention is coming up in February). :thumbup:

And for grins, I'm attaching the "Rules of Lucha Libre" document that I handed out to all my players before the game... :D

The adventure I ran was something I came up with called "Los Misteriosos Contra la Hija del Frankenstein" (The Mysterious Ones vs. The Daughter of Frankenstein). In it, the heroes have to stop the evil Dr. Mrs. Frankenstein from stealing the machismo of their fellow tecnicos and using it to power her unstoppable army of midget wrestlers.

(Yes, seriously. That was the plot).

(No, really. It was).

Sounds perfectly fine to me.

Did anyone wear masks?

For my first table' date=' I only had 3 players. I was afraid I wasn't going to get to run, since only one guy had a ticket. But then a gal walked by and asked if I was looking for players, and she joined the game. Then a guy I know (Fedifensor, from these boards) came by and I recruited him too. Three players was plenty! They chose to play Supergran the Atomic Aztec, Amazonia the Jungle Princess, and Caveman Cortez the Wrestling Neanderthal Detective -- the perfect combination of brawn, beauty, and brains![/quote']

Honestly, I wasn't expecting to have as much fun as I did. Mexican wrestling isn't anywhere near my area of expertise (I don't even watch sports). However, we had a LOT of fun. It was brought up near the end of the game that Supergran, Amazonia, and Caveman Cortez were basically Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman for the Lucha Libre genre. Instead of being an strange visitor from another planet, Supergran was a strange revived Aztec demigod. Instead of emerging from a spaceship, he came out of a volcano, etc.

There were a lot of great moments. The best was when Supergran picked his Carmen Ghia (little sporty car) up over his head and smashed some evil midgets with it. :rockon:

Twice! After hitting the midgets once, and seeing more behind me, I picked up the car again and did one of those backward wrestling falls, slamming the car into the other group of midgets.

They also had a lot of great one-liners; Supergran and Caveman Cortez were trading jokes through every fight. They put a mailbox over Frankenstein's head so he couldn't see them, and then kept making post office jokes. :rofl:

The players of Amazonia and Caveman Cortez were both fantastic with the quotes...better than I was, to be honest. Fortunately, I was able to compensate with lots of flashy moves (brick moves are big attention grabbers).

The game ended a little bit early, partially because we had only three players, partially because one of my players asked me to end it early so he could prep for the game he was running in the next slot.

That was me. I was debating just taking the slot to prep a Paragon-tier 4E module, but I had done a good portion of the prep before the con and just needed time to draw out the maps (which ended up taking me about 45 minutes). Sorry if it cut into the game time, though I don't think the module suffered for it. In fact, I think it ran perfectly - high-octane action all the way through, and lots of fun! :thumbup:

Did anyone wear masks?

Nope, no masks. I thought about printing out some masks and putting them on popsicle sticks, but I didn't do it. Really, nobody had any idea what to expect out of the game -- none of my players were big Lucha fans.

That was me. I was debating just taking the slot to prep a Paragon-tier 4E module' date=' but I had done a good portion of the prep before the con and just needed time to draw out the maps (which ended up taking me about 45 minutes). Sorry if it cut into the game time, though I don't think the module suffered for it. In fact, I think it ran perfectly - high-octane action all the way through, and lots of fun! :thumbup:[/quote']

I don't think the module suffered for it either, honestly. Things run a little bit quicker when you have fewer players, so everything worked out just fine.

I'd love to have played in this' date=' and your rules of Lucha make for a great primer! :)[/quote']

Thanks! :)

• 3 weeks later...

My last game was so much fun, I've decided to run another one at Genghis Con in February!

GM: El Conejito Mal

Organization: RP Artisans

System: Hero System

Title: Lucha Libre: ¡Los Misteriosos contra los Zombis Aztecas!

Mexico City is overrun by horrible monsters of every sort, innocent townspeople are disappearing, and the evil Doctor Muerte is back! Who can stop him before the whole world succumbs to his wicked scheme? Why, the world's greatest Technicos, of course! Hearken back to the Golden Age of Lucha, when men wore masks, women wore miniskirts, and anything could (and frequently did!) happen.

Keywords: Campy humor, thrilling heroics, Mexican wrasslin’

Times: 2 slots;Friday & Saturday evening

Maximum Players per Slot: 6

Beginner. Rules Taught. Characters Provided. No Spanish necessary!