Lucha Libre convention game!

teh bunneh

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Lucha Libre convention game!

I ran my second game on Sunday morning, the last day of the con. Everyone was tired, but that's an OK state of mind to play Lucha Libre in. It's not like there's a lot of thinking required. ;) This time I had a full table -- 5 players. A couple of the people at the table I've gamed with before, a few others were newbies. And once again, everyone really got into the game. It ran a little bit differently the second time. For one thing, they didn't kill La Hija -- Amazonia wrestled her into submission and then they arrested her.

wouldn't you like to see this scene in LUCHA LIBRE HERO THE MOVIE?

Not all luchadors wear masks.

Many formerly masked luchadors lose their masks in mask vs mask or hair vs mask matches where the loser not only loses the match, but their mask or hair as well.

One of the 'rules' is that, once you have lost your mask, you shouldn't wear it again.

It's acceptable to assume another identity... El Santo himself once wrestled as 'El Hombre Rojo' early on in his career, but you shouldn't put the old mask back on... some purists were somewhat miffed that Rey Misterio, jr. reassumed his mask after losing it.

But yeah, there are many, many luchadors who don't wear masks.

I gotta show this off. Our very own DrDestiny (who did the character portraits in LLH) offered to do a picture of the new Luchadora. So here she is in all her glory:

I give you, Silver Sapphire (aka Zafiro de Plata)!

Muey bueno! Bonita even....

I gotta show this off. Our very own DrDestiny (who did the character portraits in LLH) offered to do a picture of the new Luchadora. So here she is in all her glory:

I give you, Silver Sapphire (aka Zafiro de Plata)!

These character sheets are great. They are effectively hiding a lot of the non-essential numbers sometime giving the impression the system is complex. Looking at this sheet, HERO looks as easy to get than say Savage World.

On Silver Sapphire sheet there is no Body value though.

It's possible it's not needed? Con game and Luchadores don't get killed and all that?

Sure, it is entirely possible this was a concious decision. And I am sure if there is no speed on the sheet it is because it is not used.

The other things "missing" are the CVs but again, my guess is that for a con, there is not many maneuvers used aside from those on the sheet and when a special case arise (like a move-through for example), teh bunneh just work it out in his head for the players.

All these points in my opinion help to make the sheet simpler and cleaner and give the impression HERO is easy. All good!

Thanks guys! I'm glad you like the charsheets. I do like to simplify them. I advertise my games as "newbies welcome" so I want them to feel comfortable with the characters. :)

To answer your questions: You are correct, for a Convention game I don't bother with SPD (everyone has the same SPD), and for a Lucha game I don't bother with BOD (the heroes don't die unless they heroically sacrifice themselves).

Second' date=' is there an HD export format for this?[/quote']

No, I put these sheets together in InDesign. With HeroDesigner, I just export to a real simple .txt file and then copy/paste the info I need into my InDesign template.

Thanks guys! I'm glad you like the charsheets. I do like to simplify them. I advertise my games as "newbies welcome" so I want them to feel comfortable with the characters. :)

To answer your questions: You are correct, for a Convention game I don't bother with SPD (everyone has the same SPD), and for a Lucha game I don't bother with BOD (the heroes don't die unless they heroically sacrifice themselves).

No, I put these sheets together in InDesign. With HeroDesigner, I just export to a real simple .txt file and then copy/paste the info I need into my InDesign template.

Is there any chance you'd be willing to share the InDesign template? I really like the layout and am looking at running a LLH game at Owlcon this next February.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on running a Lucha game at Tacticon (Denver's summer/autumn con). These characters are "inspired by" the characters in the LLH book -- I simplified them quite a bit. This is technically a 5e game (though I doubt it matters much, since the game plays the same way). Please take a look at the charsheet and let me know if I missed anything.

Thanks!

Yes, I left END off deliberately. I never use it in a con game. :drink:

Hi there,

I am doing pretty much the same thing next month in Germany: Dreieich-Con, November 21-22, in Dreieich (near Frankfurt/Main). My Lucha Libre game is planned for Saturday afternoon of the two-day con.

Lucha Libre Hero is the one book that made me fall in love with Hero all over again.

In short, I'm going to use five pre-made player-characters based on the five "tecnico" special templates from the book: Crimefighting Luchador, Occultist Luchador, Luchador Noir, High Flyer, Mat Technician.

In the foreseeable future I'm planning a game that will go behind the scenes and have characters break "kayfabe", though the book discourages that. I want the wrestlers to have a ring personality separate from their real personality, and a superhero identity as a third persona when they go out in their masks to fight bad guys for real. Maybe I'm just going to go out of the genre and do a game based on "The Wrestler" or something like that.