Omcv 1?

DavidToomey

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Omcv 1?

I've looked through the books, and see no penalty for someone selling back his OMCV to 1 if he has no abilities that require a MCV to hit roll.

Am I missing something, or is this an easy 6 points for 90+ % of charactrers?

Looks about right. Of note, there is no penalty I'm aware of for selling OCV back to 1 for characters that just use Mental attacks either. :)

Looks about right. Of note' date=' there is no penalty I'm aware of for selling OCV back to 1 for characters that just use Mental attacks either. :)[/quote']

I understand the OCV, but in most games, even the mentallist / mage may have to throw a blow / use an ability that uses OCv, but in most games with mental powers, the non-gifted will almost never have to use OMCV

You can sell it back to zero' date=' that's 9 points. Makes sense if you have no mental attacks that you never developed a mental attack skill.[/quote']

You can actually only sell anything back to 1 (unless you have GM's permission, of course).

I understand the OCV' date=' but in most games, even the mentallist / mage may have to throw a blow / use an ability that uses OCv, but in most games with mental powers, the non-gifted will almost never have to use OMCV[/quote']

You can potentially use the points gained from selling back your MOCV to boost your MDCV if you expect to defend against Mental Power regularly.

Yeah. I tend not to sell back for the points. I sell back if I really find a compelling reason (character-wise) to give the character a weakness. Besides, it's only six points! :dyn

(Yeah, I know. That's like one of the biggest taunts you can throw on these boards. I shall now stand back and watch the insane "point efficient" builds fly.) :P

Sure can.

And, as a GM, my first thought will be to ensure we have a scenario at some point where, for whatever reason, OMCV becomes important to characters lacking Mental Powers. A Sellback should be made limiting, just like limitations and complications. If they aren't made limiting, they should generate no points.

I'm not sure it's cheesy. It does make a certain degree of narrative since that if a character has no mental powers or abilities that rely on MOCV that it would be deficient. They've never used it the way an avowed pacifist character that's never so much as thrown a punch might sell back their OCV, that's just more risky. You could call it natural talent/raw "human" ability but saying MOCV is deficient is just as justifiable. I don't think those points should be dumped into MDCV with justification like any other purchase but if its something every non mentalist does then its not too bad, IMO.

I suppose one way to make it count might be to require an MOCV vs MOCV roll to attempt to Break out of a Mental Power either on the first try or every time. Or maybe restructure break out all together and make it take MOCV into account.

Selling back MCV is sort of like taking a Vulnerability to Mental Attacks. As long as there are things that use MCV in the game it seems like there's a price potential to pay for those extra points.

Not if you just sell back MOCV. It has no function if the character has no offensive mental powers

Hmmm, OK, then using the new Power Advantages to attack alternate defences just look at OMCV as a potential sort of "active defence" like a mental block and DMCV a "passive defence" like a mental dodge or avoidance. But for most folks that's probably a bit much, so yeah I see your point.

as a gm i wouldent allow my players to sell back OMCV at all and would only allow them to sell back DMCV if i knew there was guna be mentalists in my game sometime or another. but if your gm is a by the books guy you can exploit for points by all means do. and in fact have a look under enhanced senses and consider selling back your sense of smell/taste and touch.... you dont really need them. when was the last time your gm said make a touch perception roll?

...when was the last time your gm said make a touch perception roll?

Oh, I have my players make Touch Perceptions Rolls. Usually I don't label them as such because I know no one has bought it up (or down), but there have been numerous times when either they've been looking for secret doors or been the target of pick pockets that having no sense of Touch would've really sucked.

Unless a PC has a background-specific rationale for selling back innate abilities or Characteristics, we generally don't do it in any of our campaigns. In fact I think the only character we have who has done so has sold back some Running to represent a bad leg. He even stipulates that he requires a cane to walk.

Few supers (and probably not many heroic PCs) are likely to be able to justify Characteristics lower than a base normal. If they do, they can represent it with a Disadvantage such as Age.