How to build MMA Style Martial Arts

Michael Hopcroft

Re: How to build MMA Style Martial Arts

Completely OT by now:

The most important factor of survivability in any situation is the ability to perceive when to run away.

When I was much younger, I managed to avoid a few fights with street gangs by virtue of PRE Attack, but neither the weapons in circulation nor the drugs used were as serious as they are nowadays.

Anticipation and timing doesn't count for more than a few select one-on-one situations IRL.

i concure completely if you get away RUN LIKE HELL

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a few thoughts on self-defense, as I was taught in Taekwondo and Krav Maga.

1. Always stay alert. Doing that will help you identify and avoid potential trouble.

2. Avoiding the situation is your first priority.

3. If a situation can't be avoided, it's easier to talk your way out of it than to fight your way out of it. Try to diffuse the situation.

4. Keep your hands up, but in a nonthreatening manner. Don't close your hands into fists, as that would be a challenge to the attacker.

5. Maintain your distance. Make sure the other guy has to take a step if he's going to do something.

6. If he takes that step, that's considered a physical attack. Neutralize it immediately.

7. After the first strike, you have one second to get to his "dead side," ie, off to one side or even behind him (a Wing Chun instructor I worked out with taught me that). You can control the situation better when he can't effectively hit you.

8. Don't disengage until you know he can't fight anymore. Otherwise, he may come after you, maybe with a weapon. That has happened more than once in real life.

9. Once you're sure he can't fight anymore, get away ASAP. Until now, you can make a case for self defense. If you keep beating on him, you'll be seen as the aggressor, even if he initiated the attack.

I've seen this argument a hundred times. I think it is somewhat true, but it's a matter of perspective and intent.

You should not train for a life or death encounter in the exact manner in which you train for a sporting event. That's a good way to get yourself killed. Then again, the way many self defense oriented martial arts schools teach is also a good way to get yourself killed.

Lets look at two examples...

Joe Blackbelt - has trained in an art that teaches entirely through kata and prearranged sequences. He may not even know how some techniques are intended to be used if his instructor does not have a firm grasp of the bunkai, which no two masters can agree on anyhow. Joe's techniqes are performed against focus mitts or an stationary makiwara or heavy bag. Sparring, after all, leads to bad "sport" habits that could get you killed in a real encounter! Joe trains hard: Hours of stance work, kata and prearranged sequences with well trained ukes. They know all the same techniques, know how to fall right and generally make each other look quite good. Joe knows hundreds of different ways to maim, cripple or kill a man. He has the fastest eye gouge in class and one hell of a snap kick to the groin. He's never actually had to use any of them and he's told that he should be grateful if he never does. Joe is very confident of his ability because he has a black belt, the praise of his peers and a fancy certificate saying how righteously awesome he is.

Chris Competitor - has trained extensively in some blend of arts with the intent of competing in MMA. It's a grueling workout: hours of conditioning, seemingly endless drilling of technique axtensive work on the heavy bag or with the mitts. Chris knows the aplications for all his techniques becuase he drills them every class. And after drills are done, it's time for live sparring. He uses strikes, takedowns and submission holds against live, fully resisting opponents. They are all moving at full speed and using all of their skill and power to make the other guy tap first. No one cares how it looks, just how well it works. Nothing is prearranged, so you have to be ready for almost anything. Chris has proved to everyone that he can strike with the best of them, he can slip a punch, block a kick, escape from countless holds and bad positions. He can take a hit and keep going and he's learned how to work through pain and fatigue. He knows a ton of submissions, including how far he can take any of them before he hurts or kills someone. He doesn't bother learning things he has no intention of using. Chris is very confident of his ability because he knows exactly what he can do if he needs to.

So, assuming all other things were equal, who would you honestly put your money on in a street fight?

Now I admit, those were two somewhat extreme examples (though I could have gone much further in either direction). The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle of there. Lets be honest, there absolutely ARE some techniques that will end a fight almost instantly and that you can't exactly train safely in anything approaching a realistic manner. But who's more likely to successfully pull one of those techniques off in a real fight?

I've been Joe and I've been Chris. I'm still pretty young, so maybe I'll change my mind somewhere down the road as to what approach is "better". But they aren't teaching BJJ in the military because they think Al-Qaeda has a smooth armbar and an dominant ground game. They are teaching it because of all the other attributes it can build in our soldiers in the process! Well, and because it reduces the likely hood that a bunch of Jarheads will maim each other or a bunch of civilians in bar fight :whistle:

Ok, that was long winded... I should probably bow out before Rapier gets all "I told you so!" to the thread...

I took shotokan when I was about 13. We fought almost very class. Not full contact but against a living thinking opponet.

When I was in the Navy in Hawaii I started taking it again. They NEVER fought. They would have goten killed.

I dropped karate and took Judo instead. I've never met a karate fighter that can wrestle. Crosstraining can save your life.