How to build MMA Style Martial Arts

Michael Hopcroft

Given the insane popularity of so called "mixed martial arts" competitions (like the UFC, World Extreme Cagefighting, etc.), hoiw would you build the martial art of fhe Mixed Martial Arts fighter? I know there are a lot of fancy names for cagefighting styles, but it strikes me from what little I've seen that it's basically one set of skills for just about all fighters (at least the ones that get the big cards).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: How to build MMA Style Martial Arts

Most of the maneuvers seem to be a mix of Boxing, Muay Thai, and Brazilian Jujutsu (or Wrestling). Most of the fighters are trained in those styles, so a PC buy maneuvers from those styles. The PC should buy at least one strike and one grapple. Fighters have different strengths; some are primarily strikers, while others are primarily grapplers. A few have managed to balance the two. So the player can customize his fighter however way he wants.

There are a few MMA fighters who are practitioners of San Shou, Karate or Taekwondo, so buying maneuvers from those arts should be allowed. They seem to be in the minority, but if a player wants his character to be a karateka with a few jujutsu skills, that shouldn't be a problem.

Short answer: Essentially what has been suggested already, though I will point out that in 5ER, you run into some difficulties with representing MMA due to the general lack of rules about ground fighting. That said, 6E or Luchae Libre Hero may have some useful info in this regard.

Long answer: well... that could take a while... how much time do you have? ;)

I'd probably handle it with whatever style you like, plus a few CSLs with grappling-related maneuvers (Grab, Martial Grab, Martial Escape, Squeeze, Slam, etc.), since that's where they always spend most of their attention. The way they fight in UFC would be absolutely foolish if you were defending your life for real. Ah, but don't get me started. :P

Hmm. In MMA they permit arm and leg bars(grabbing a limb and applying pressure to create pain and discomfort and, fully executed, to break the limb), kicks, punches, knees and elbows. I see a lot of takedowns and sacrifice takedowns, and sprawls to defend against those. I don't see a lot of straight throws ala a Judoka's Uchi mata. Small joint locks and breaks are also generally illegal (i.e., you don't see finger locks or breaks).

Choke holds are also pretty prominent, as are blocking maneuvers against them.

I'd probably exclude the killing strike and killing throw (but include the killing break), exclude martial throws from the basic MMA style set, exclude nerve strikes, include legsweeps, takedowns, grabs, escapes, blocks, the suite of o strike, d strike, m strike. Basically you could look at the writeups for judo/jujitsu, muay thai, boxing, wrestling, a smattering of kung fu and taekwondo, exclude the maneuvers I've mentioned, and take whatever's left.

Pretty broad category. You've still got a lot of fighters that follow the one primary discipline and 2 or 3 secondaries. So, you'd build a fighter that invested most points in a single MA (usually Wrestling, Jujitsu, Muay Thai or Boxing) with lesser amounts in the other two.

You do get some folks from other styles (such as Machida having adapted Karate to MMA use) but the four listed are the most prominent.

Newer fighters are coming up training exclusively MMA as its own art. If you wanted to be fully authentic you'd pull maneuvers from Boxing, Wrestling, Jujitsu & Muay Thai when writing up the art.

Personally, when writing up an MMA style martial artist, I file the serial numbers of Pankration and call it good.

Short answer: Essentially what has been suggested already, though I will point out that in 5ER, you run into some difficulties with representing MMA due to the general lack of rules about ground fighting. That said, 6E or Luchae Libre Hero may have some useful info in this regard.

Long answer: well... that could take a while... how much time do you have? ;)

LLHmight help at that

Like others have said, Wrestling, Boxing, Jujutsu, and Muay Thai generally contribute to a large number of MMA fighters' skill sets.

As mentioned earlier, "MMA" is now being taught as a single set of combat skills.

The question is whether the character learned MMA from a single discipline or from multiple disciplines?

If the latter, then it would be best to generally buy maneuvers from the earlier mentioned disciplines depending on the character's background.

It would also be prudent to ask whether the character prefers to fight standing or on the ground, which certainly would help determine their fighting background.

The way they fight in UFC would be absolutely foolish if you were defending your life for real. Ah' date=' but don't get [i']me[/i] started. :P

IMO, MMA has a lot of misconceptual baggage:

1. Martial Arts competitions of any kind are not really about self-defense (even Bruce Lee tells the reader in The Tao of Jeet Kune Do to run away at the first chance), but about skill superiority - it is a blurry line though.

2. UFC was concieved as a competition amongst a wide variety of disciplines - the first competitors were one-dimensional.

3. MMA has evolved in two important ways:

a) In the beginning there were virtually no rules - this made them much like Vale Tudo ("Anything Goes" IIRC) fights in Brazil and they were more spectacular than sportsmanlike.

Today, (respectable) MMA promotions have rules and regulations like any singular combat disciplined sport (Boxing, Wrestling, Karate, Judo, Kickboxing, etc), but some still think that it is just human cockfighting to this day.

B) Royce Gracie dominated in the earlier years with his Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, but fighters eventually wised up and trained to beat grapplers - MMA had developed its first meta-game this way.

Come UFC 51 (IIRC), Royce Gracie returned to challenge the young Matt Hughes and was dominated because he still only used his Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu - the meta-game had changed so much that his old-school style was simply inefficient by this time.

So what's my point again?I am saying that MMA is misconcieved, and that their application to self-defense is one of them.

IMO, MMA has a lot of misconceptual baggage:

1. Martial Arts competitions of any kind are not really about self-defense (even Bruce Lee tells the reader in The Tao of Jeet Kune Do to run away at the first chance), but about skill superiority - it is a blurry line though.

2. UFC was concieved as a competition amongst a wide variety of disciplines - the first competitors were one-dimensional.

3. MMA has evolved in two important ways:

a) In the beginning there were virtually no rules - this made them much like Vale Tudo ("Anything Goes" IIRC) fights in Brazil and they were more spectacular than sportsmanlike.

Today, (respectable) MMA promotions have rules and regulations like any singular combat disciplined sport (Boxing, Wrestling, Karate, Judo, Kickboxing, etc), but some still think that it is just human cockfighting to this day.

B) Royce Gracie dominated in the earlier years with his Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, but fighters eventually wised up and trained to beat grapplers - MMA had developed its first meta-game this way.

Come UFC 51 (IIRC), Royce Gracie returned to challenge the young Matt Hughes and was dominated because he still only used his Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu - the meta-game had changed so much that his old-school style was simply inefficient by this time.

So what's my point again?I am saying that MMA is misconcieved, and that their application to self-defense is one of them.

Continuing the digression a bit, another large difference between MMA now and the UFC of 15 years ago is that you have more serious athletes competing full time. When the UFC was conceived, the majority of fighters were part timers. Today's MMA competitor (at the national level) is a full time athlete with a training regimen similar to those of other professional sports. This was another big factor in Huges domination of Royce Gracie.

Here's set of MMA manoeuvres I created for a PC of mine. It contains two unique manoeuvres: The Ground n' Pound (works like a Crush but must follow throw instead of grab), and The Sprawl (like a Root but resists throws instead of shove). The rest are all standard moves that appear in various striking and grappling arts in the UMA, though some have had their names changed.

assuming a 10 STR character...

(from Deejmeister's earlier HDv3 prefab)

Mixed Martial Arts (list)

4 1) Choke Hold: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab One Limb; 2d6 NND

5 2) Defensive Block: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, Block, Abort

3 3) Double Leg Takedown: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 3d6 Strike, Target Falls

5 4) Escaping Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 25 STR , to Escape, Target Falls

3 5) Grappling: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 20 STR for holding on

5 6) Ground N' Pound: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, -2 DCV, 6d6, Strike, Must Follow Throw

5 7) Low Kick/Knee Strike: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -2 DCV, 6d6 Strike

4 8) Punch/Elbow Strike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, 4d6 Strike

4 9) Reversal: var Phase, -1 OCV, -2 DCV, 25 STR to Escape; Grab Two Limbs

5 10) Roundhouse/Spin Kick: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 6d6 Strike

3 11) Sacrifice Throw: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +1 DCV, 2d6 Strike; You Fall, Target Falls

4 12) The Sprawl: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 25 STR , to resist Throws, Block, Abort

I think there's a section on Groundfighting in Fantasy Hero. I haven't used the rules' date=' however, so I don't know if they'd work well here.[/quote']

There's not much too them as I recall. Basically you're 1/2 DCV vs adjacent foes and -2 OCV overall (with further penalties for longer weapons) while prone. If you succeed in a PS Groundfighting roll you can cancel the OCV penalty vs a specific opponent. Why the PSL rules weren't used to cancel the OCV penalty, I don't know.

Why the PSL rules weren't used to cancel the OCV penalty' date=' I don't know.[/quote']

Actually, I think it's just one of those 'that's not a penalty' rules. You can't purchase PSLs to cover Unbalanced mods for thrown objects either. Nor can you purchase PSLs to cover the Move Thru mods. You have to purchase CSLs.

Actually' date=' I think it's just one of those 'that's not a penalty' rules. You can't purchase PSLs to cover Unbalanced mods for thrown objects either. Nor can you purchase PSLs to cover the Move Thru mods. You have to purchase CSLs.[/quote']

Actually, you CAN purchase PSL's for throwing unbalanced objects. They are called "Throwing Skill Levels". Work on Non Aerodynamic Objects as well.

• 2 weeks later...

My suggestion for creating a MMA style was to start from the generic style and add from there.

But speaking of holds(grabs) does any one else find the 5th ed rules alittle too complex versus the old 4th? In my experience the rules really makes grapplers worse to the point why grab anyone?