Lucha Libre: El Vetica

tarragon

I got my copy of Lucha Libre Hero last week, watched El Santo Contra Las Vampiras over the weekend to get in the right mood, and then dug in. I'm reading straight through and so far it's full of awesome. And I see no indication that the awesome to page ratio will drop in the back half of the book.

That was all great timing because just today one of the link farms I follow posted a link to information about El Vetica. I'd never head of El Vetica before but he sounds like a really important figure. From the info page: "El Vetica, also know as El Kernudo, held the Mexican Inter-Continental belt for an unprecedented 7 years, from 1977–84."

I don't think we can let such an important figure and Mexico's only typographer/luchador go unrepresented in HERO system any longer.

How would you buy his legendary Typography skills? I was thinking going the legendary route from Ultimate Skill and just buying PS: Typography 21-.

But there has to be more than that. How does his in depth knowledge of typography affect his technique? How does his wrestling effect his typography?

Re: Lucha Libre: El Vetica

You could buy Handwriting Analysis as a skill or as a power with a bunch of weird modifiers... probably something like psychometry.

He could also use his powers of super typography to realize that the ransom note was pieced together with letters from the Tijuana Daily Express, and the typewriter used to send the letter to the television station was written on a Smith Corona 320z with a misaligned 't'.

His mentor, a priest in the style of Fray Tormenta, has a church with a sacred well from which El Vetica derives his tremendous powers. The Church, of course, is the Church of San Serif.

The water from the well grants the drinker uncanny insight, and is called 'The Font of Wisdom'.

Of course, he's incorporated his motif into his wrestling style -

His missile dropkick is 'The Arial Attack'.

His submission move is 'The Times New Greco-Roman'.

His finishing facebuster maneouvre is the 'Type Face'.

His top-rope splash is 'The Printing Press'.

The finisher he uses with his tag team partner, El Verdana, is 'The Stereo Type'.

• 2 months later...

Re: Lucha Libre: El Vetica

I don't think it would be unreasonable for such a character to have picked up Cryptography and Speed Reading. I know, that's not as cool as the other stuff. :o OTOH Cryptography could allow him to decode ancient Aztec writings. :)

In a similar vein, a typographer of that era would likely have some understanding of the workings of printing presses, so a general Mechanics skill would not be out of line.